Skarmory

#227 Skarmory -
/
-

Skarmory, One of the best physical walls in the whole entire game. It has massve 140 base defensive and can easily keep most physical threats are bay. One of the best things about Skamory is it's steel typing, meaning it has plenty of resistances, and can easily set up spikes. Skarmory is one of the best phazers, the Black and white can offer.

Base Stats: Hp 65 - Atk 80 - Def 140 - SAtk 40 - SDef 70 - Spe 70 (BST:465)

Abilities:

Keen Eye:
Moves such as Sand-Attack and Kinesis fail against a Pokémon with Keen Eye. Any move that lowers accuracy as a secondary effect will work, but never lower accuracy.
Sturdy: If it by a move that would KO, this Pokemon instead will be left with 1 HP (it is unknown if this only works at full HP or at any HP level)
Breakable armor(Dream World): When hit by a physical attack your defense decreases 1 stage, but speed increases 1 stage.

Movepool
:

-Level-up Moves: Lv1: Leer, Lv1: Peck, Lv6: Sand-Attack, Lv9: Swift, Lv12: Agility, Lv17: Fury Attack, Lv20: Feint, Lv23: Air Cutter, Lv28: Spikes, Lv31: Metal Sound, Lv34: Steel Wing, Lv39: Body Purge, Lv42: Air Slash, Lv45: Slash, Lv50: Night Slash

- Learnable TMs:TM05 - Roar, TM06 - Toxic, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM11 - Sunny Day, TM12 - Taunt, TM17 - Protect, TM21 - Frustration, TM27 - Return, TM32 - Double Team, TM37 - Sandstorm, TM39 - Rock Tomb, TM40 - Aerial Ace, TM41 - Torment, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM46 - Thief, TM48 - Troll, TM58 - Free Fall, TM66 - Payback, TM70 - Flash, TM75 - Swords Dance, TM80 - Rock Slide, TM81 - X-Scissor, TM87 - Swagger, TM88 - Pluck, TM90 - Substitute, TM91 - Flash Cannon, TM94 - Rock Smash, HM01 - Cut, HM02 - Fly

Egg Moves:
Drill Peck
Pursuit
Whirlwind
Sky Attack
Curse
Brave Bird
Assurance
Guard Swap
Stealth Rock
Endure

4th generation moves:
Roost

Lv39: Body Purge:Raises speed by two stages, makes user lighter.

TM48 - Troll
Special Normal PP: 15 Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: The more pokemon on your team that have the move troll, the Base power rises

TM58 - Free Fall
Physical Flying PP: 10 Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: Raises the opponent up in the air, when the opponent is up in the air, it cannot move.

Traits:

• Wonderful Typing: Skarmory has brillant typing, one of the few pokemon that resist Ground and Dragon. it's typing gives lots of resistances, and it's immune to ground, so it can easily switch in on a Earthquake, and set up spikes, or whirlwind the opponent's pokemon out.

• A great phazer+can set up Spikes/Stealth rock: Skarmory walls so much of the metagame, that it can easily phaze most physical threats. Just switch in and start setting up spikes. It walls most physical threats with ease, and has a roost so it can easily stall out most pokemon. Spikes is a great thing to have on both offensive and defensive teams. Skarmory usually does better on defensive teams because it really can threaten much except flying and grass types.

• Reliable recovery move : This makes a huge difference in Skarmory's walling abilities. With this it doesn't require wish support like Fortress does. It makes it makes skarmory, so much more reliable than most of the other spikers/phazers out there. Fortress can stand up against repeated physical hits because it's only recovery is leftovers, or the gimmicky Pain split. Skarmory also avoids all entry hazards with the exception of Stealth rock, other spikers get worn down by entry hazards. There are a few times where roost, may get you in trouble. If you against a slower opponent such as Swampert, your opponent could predict it and use Earthquake and hit you for super effective damage, other than that, having a reliable recovery is a blessing for Skarmory.

Potential Sets:

Physical Spiker

Set #1

@
or

Skarmory @ Leftovers/Shed Shell
Nature: Impish
Ability: Sturdy
252 HP/252 Def/6 SpD

~Spikes
~Roost
~Brave Bird
~Whirlwind

-Skarmory's flagship set, probably the best set it could possibly run. This set capitalizes on Skarmory's massive physical bulk, to set up most physical threats. The strategy is quite simple, Switch in on a physical threat, that doesn't know taunt such as Ononokusu, Bulky Gyarados, or some variants of Tyrannitar, and start setting up spikes, if they try to set up on you, just whirlwind them out so they take more entry hazard damage. After you set up three layers, of spikes (which shouldn't be very difficult, by the way) you should focus on phazing, most of the time to rack up even more damage and to scout the oponent's team. You also have Brave bird so you can threaten the fighting and grass types.

Spiker lead

Set #2

@
or
or

Skarmory @ Leftovers/Lum berry/Custap berry
Nature: Impish/Careful
Ability: Sturdy
252 HP/164 SpD/92 Spe

~Brave Bird
~Spikes
~Taunt
~Roost/Stealth rock

Skarmory's lead set, and it got a Upgrade in Black and White because it's ability Sturdy, acts like a focus sash so it will always survive the first hit, with the exception of moves that hit more than once such as Rock blast and icicle Spear, and unless there critical they should never faint anyway. Taunt stops slower leads from setting up their hazards, and against non-taunt leads, it should get up at least one layer of spikes. the fourth move varies, if you don't want to be a suicide lead, then roost is the required move, and theirs also stealth rock, to set up even more entry hazards apart from spikes. There are many options for your item If you want Skarmory to stick around for a while there's leftovers, and the lum berry let it's avoid status, and let's it set up on the sleeper leads. The Custap berry is only really being a suicide lead, it Skarmory set up at least 2 layers of entry hazards before fainting.

Conclusion:

Well, there you go everyone, the best physical wall in the whole game IMO, excluding legendaries. I think Skamory will be used quite a bit more to deal with the massive physical threats the emerged this generation. It can easily stand with Onokusu, Doryuuzu, and most other physical threats with out taunt. Skarmory along with Hippowdon, Nattorei, and Gliscor, are now emerging as the few pokemon that can stand up to the highly offensive metagame. Skarmory has the bonus of setting up two kinds entry hazards, and having a reliable recovery move, which neither of the walls I listed can do everything Skarmory can do. Overall, Skarmory is still a great pokemon, and I hope you decide to use it on your team! How do you think the 5th generation will affect skarmory?

Hrm. It seems that there might be two types of Skarmory that might evolve from this.

The first is the classic wall we all know and love/hate. Relatively unchanged aside from Sturdy's change. So all the Skarmories of old would go from Keen Eye to Sturdy. Not a big jump.

However, I also see potential for a possible gimmick Curse set with Breakable Armor. It's just a shame that Skarmory doesn't learn Baton Pass, as it has quite a few setup options, yet not really the stats to pull it off or the one move that lets it pass off. Perhaps Grey will fix that.

Skarmory is excellent in the metagame right now with so many Doryuuzu, Ononokusu, Garchomp, Tyranitar and the whole slew of Pokemon it walls. Shed Shell is really a must now with Shanderaa being a better Magnezone against Skarm.

Skarm got jack shit this time around. In fact, one could say it got less than that, because Roost is no longer a TM. Still, it can fulfill its roles well enough, but with stuff like Chandelier running around with 10 higher base speed, the steel bird looks like it's got some stiff competition.

However, I also see potential for a possible gimmick Curse set with Breakable Armor. It's just a shame that Skarmory doesn't learn Baton Pass, as it has quite a few setup options, yet not really the stats to pull it off or the one move that lets it pass off. Perhaps Grey will fix that.
Okay, just saying, why would you do that when it learns Swords Dance? :D

EDIT: Beaten on the second part

yeah, skarm stayed preeeety much exactly the same this gen
his new ability is crap, because it totally defeats the purpose of using skam -- a physical wall!
sturdy is gonna be the ability of choice, seeing as it is awesome now.
the fact that skarm doesn't need his dream world ability means it would be just as effective offensively as a 4th gen skarm, which means everyone will use 4th gen ones because that way they can easily get roost, and maybe even stealth rocks, which may become more common on skarm due to it being severely reduced in its availability.

Use Curse, increase Atk/Def +1, decrease Speed -1, get hit by a contact move, increase Speed +1, decrease Def -1...

Yeah, I'd rather use Swords Dance. Or another pokémon.
I forgot about Swords Dance. And really, Skarmory's new ability wouldn't be so bad if it actually learned Baton Pass. I mean, it has Body Purge (Agility clone) and Swords Dance, so I don't see why it couldn't learn something else like Roost (if bred) and Baton pass to go with them. A possible +2/+3 on the pass, and something with Skarmory's defenses likely will survive near anything even at -1 so long as it's physical.

But then again, no Baton Pass. So it's the same old wall we used before, just with Sturdy.

Shandera is gunna tear Skarm apart...trapping it with Shadow Tag, walling spikes and then hitting it with super effective flamethrower/fireblast off a base 145 Sp.Attack...this thing is bred for DESTROYING skarmory, which will probably be seen a lot less after gen 5...

Shandera is gunna tear Skarm apart...trapping it with Shadow Tag, walling spikes and then hitting it with super effective flamethrower/fireblast off a base 145 Sp.Attack...this thing is bred for DESTROYING skarmory, which will probably be seen a lot less after gen 5...
That's easily remedied with a shed shell. And Skarmory is an amazing counter for Doryuuzu, Ononokus, and a slew of other physical threats, new and old. It's not going away anytime soon.

yeah... Read all the shed shell posts...

Very few pokemon can do what skarmory does as well as he does it. And shanderaa isn't going to be changing that, just because it can beat skarm. Magnezone can trap and kill skarm, but you didn't see skarm usage dropping dramatically in gen 4, did you?

LOLOLOLOLOL THATS SOME INGENOIUS FUCKING ABILITY YOU ARE SO CLEVER GAMEFREAK.
Well anyway Skarmory hasnt gained anything game changing but he is still as solid as ever.
Sturdies new update is a great boost for Skarmory as it allows you to say "Fuck you Heatran" and allow handy phazes for that annoying Suicune that just got to +6.The Dream world ability also has a lot of potential in a Swords Dance set (Lolololol jk).
Shandera will probably be a bitch but w\e i always carry shed shell anyway.Walling Doryuzu is also quite an achievement that very few walls can achieve.

Skarmory is excellent in the metagame right now with so many Doryuuzu, Ononokusu, Garchomp, Tyranitar and the whole slew of Pokemon it walls. Shed Shell is really a must now with Shanderaa being a better Magnezone against Skarm.
Really agree with you especially since stuff like Bronzong or Flygon which resist EdgeQuake will struggle to wall Mold Breaker mons like Ononokusu.

About boosting - Skarmory has always had Agility and Swords Dance, but nothing good has ever arisen from their use. Gimmick at best in my opinion :/

Why is no one talking about Free Fall? giving Skarmory a free turn of leftovers is a pretty big deal. Brave Bird seems such a poor choice for a wall, chipping away at your bulk, especially when Skarmory has such low HP for a wall.

I'm sure Shanderaa won't like a STAB Brave Bird to the face either.

edit: Roost makes Brave Bird's recoil manageable, espcecially as Skarmory forces a lot of switches anyway.

Why is no one talking about Free Fall? giving Skarmory a free turn of leftovers is a pretty big deal. Brave Bird seems such a poor choice for a wall, chipping away at your bulk, especially when Skarmory has such low HP for a wall.
Well because i think most people will be too paranoid to actually run Leftover's nowadays is the main cause =P.

Shed Shell Skarm will definitely see some use, because of ShadowTag Shanderaa.

As for the lead set even with Sturdy, it will be faing difficulties because the opp might switch directly to Shanderaa. Brave Bird doesn't 2HKO, but atleast you will get a minimum of two layers Spikes. Slap a Sash on, and you get 3, although CM Shanderaa will set up in your face.

I never used Shed Shell. It's too easy to play around trappers to give up leftovers recovery. Never used Brave Bird either; you can't really say 'roost solves the recoil problem' because Skarmory is slow. Drill Peck has always worked fine for me.

I think we can stop talking about Shanderaa trapping it now, because Dream World pokemon are basically event pokemon that could never even be released.

Shed Shell Skarm will definitely see some use, because of ShadowTag Shanderaa.

As for the lead set even with Sturdy, it will be faing difficulties because the opp might switch directly to Shanderaa. Brave Bird doesn't 2HKO, but atleast you will get a minimum of two layers Spikes. Slap a Sash on, and you get 3, although CM Shanderaa will set up in your face.
Are Dream World abilities really an issue right now? We might not be seeing a Shadow Tag Shandreaa until two years from now for all we know. Remember how the elemental Hyper Beams, Volt Tackle, and Icicle Spear didn't show up until FRLG despite being in RS's code?

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
I like the first set. With the increasing number of offensive pokémon in the metagame now, it will be interesting to see how Pokémon such as Skarmory phase out

Are Dream World abilities really an issue right now? We might not be seeing a Shadow Tag Shandreaa until two years from now for all we know. Remember how the elemental Hyper Beams, Volt Tackle, and Icicle Spear didn't show up until FRLG despite being in RS's code?

Even though it isnt in the game as of now, I am talking about when it is in the game which might not be so far away....thats why I am talking about Skarm with Shed Shell and Sturdy.

Skarmory isn't enjoying this new fangled Knock Down move. A lot of the EdgeQuakers that he could come in on and comfortably Whirlwind away can now bash him to the floor and Earthquake him to oblivion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)