Skarmory

has found an incredibly sick thing you can do with skarmoury on a havily resisted attack, go in activat6e breakable armour for a +1 to outspeed shizz loads

on there swap you Swords Dance, cos they will swap you are immune to dmg as u r a skarmoury

then attack stuff, unless the opponent is a dick with a load of scarfed stuff you can probs unload a few kills, due to them suffering a heart attack out of pure shock

its attacking movepool is incredibly shallow, so yuh

Knock Down, thanks to its low base power, won't see use on too many sweeper most likely.

Likewise, Breakable Armor will probably never see use. It's an interesting ability, and allows Skarmory to abuse Swords Dance, but Skarmory's physical movepool is horrible for coverage, and base 80 attack is just not very threatening considering you're sitting at -1 Defense as well (and you're probably investing a ton of EVs into Atk/Spd).

Here is a gimmick set that could have some form of use (yeah right!)

Skarmory @ Life Orb / Shed Shell (Shed Shell is to escape from shanderaa)
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Breakable Armour
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
~Swords Dance
~Night Slash
~Brave Bird
~Rock Slide / X-Scissor / Pursuit

With breakable Armour, it gets +1 speed when hit with physical moves so it can be easy to switch in on a physical move that is resisted like choice band bullet punch.

even with No Defence EV's or a defence boosting nature, it still has a respectible 316 Defence.

Pursuit Can hit some pokemon that try to switch, Rock Slide can be used to hit flying types and any fire type that does not resist it.

I may not know much about damage calculations but I know that +2 X-scissor will do a lot to Celebi if it has no Defence EV's.

A Jolly +2 X-scissor with out Life orb, will always OHKO 252 HP/252 Bold Celebi after stealth rock. However Brave Bird is more powerful, 360 Base power verse 320 Base power. I think it should be Adamant, with a Life orb for maximum damage out, however that would really hurt with Brave Bird. I think Steel wing should be a option since it's hits Rock pokemon for super effective damage, and gets STAB. Overall, I think Skarmory is outclassed by Starraptor, Honchrow, and Wargle. It should probably stick to what it does best, which is walling, spiking and phazing things.

I may not know much about damage calculations but I know that +2 X-scissor will do a lot to Celebi if it has no Defence EV's.
A +2 stab brave bird will do alot too. Heatran still walls that set but there isnt much you can do to beat him. Steal wing is also a decent choice to hit rhyperior and tryanitar harder then your other moves. lum can be used to setup on blissey and friends. This set is still a major gimmick

I got ninja'd badly...

Edit-maybe taunt could be an option to help you beat walls. The set could look like this:

Skarm@life orb/leftovers
252att, some spe, rest in hp
Adament/jolly
~taunt
~swords dance
~rock slide/steel wing/night slash
~brave bird

Night slash is an option but since rotom is no longer a ghost its kinda pointless. Roost can be used with leftovers if you dont mind mono-flying coverge. You get walled by electrics but most cant touch scarftar, so pair it with him (or blissey). Most steels cant beat you 1 on 1, even scizor loses if he switches in on sd (though you might go down with it).

I just had another idea. Maybe you can bluff a standard set, then go for a sweep late game. Skarm has spikes so he can wear down his major counters like heatran and magnezone withot extra support. This is meant for a stall team or bulky offence team that has enough phasers.

Skarm@shed shell/leftovers/life orb
Eves TBD
~spikes
~roost
~swords dance
~brave bird

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Skarmory should most probably be using Drill Peck, Brave Bird just makes Sturdy useless.

I honestly believe that putting Toxic in place of Brave Bird isn't receiving enough notice. In The list below, I included some of the pokemon in our current "metagame" that would normally come into Skarm, the bolded ones being hit by toxic.

Shandera
Hihidaruma
Urugamosu
Magnezone
Gengar
Heatran
Meloetta
Kerudio
Zapdos
Rankurusu
Sazando
Torunerosu
Borutorsu
Zoroark
Genosekuto
Skymin
Randorosu
Blaziken
Latias
Latios

Sorry dudes, forget the breeding, Skarmory doesn't learn Roost by any method in this Generation. Only if you come a GIV Skar with this move it can have it.

The same truth for Stealth Rock, however, it can by learned by breeding, however, you still needing a GIV transfered Skar to breed Skarmys with this move.

Anyway, Body Purge is somthing riskin' because the Heat Stamp of Emboar. OK, Skar goes faster, but like Heavy Bomber, Heat Stamp does more damage if you are more heavy than the opponent.

In this case, only one (or two, depending) Body Purge(s) is(are) needed to be OHKOed by the STABed Heat Stamp from the masive Attack Stat of Emboar.

Anyway, Skar continues with Spikes, and can be breeded with Whirlwind and Brave Bird/Drill Peck (Staraptor and Fearow as Fathers, respectibly), and, well, its possible a Curse Set.

See you.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I can see Skarmory as an incredible Pokemon this generation (as always), walling Pokemon such as Doryuuzu and the new Dragons. It has new challenges this generation, but if it could overcome Infernape then it can adapt to Gen5.

breh

強いだね
Skarmory @ Life Orb / Shed Shell (Shed Shell is to escape from shanderaa)
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Breakable Armour
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
~Swords Dance
~Night Slash
~Brave Bird
~Rock Slide
IMO for this set, Life Orb should not be an option. I know Shanderaa is not that great but Scarf Shanderaa is such a great counter that it's not even funny. It outspeeds after a Breakable Armour boost and OHKOes with a fire move of choice. Out of curiosity, what does unboosted BB do to it?

Sorry dudes, forget the breeding, Skarmory doesn't learn Roost by any method in this Generation. Only if you come a GIV Skar with this move it can have it.

The same truth for Stealth Rock, however, it can by learned by breeding, however, you still needing a GIV transfered Skar to breed Skarmys with this move.

Anyway, Body Purge is somthing riskin' because the Heat Stamp of Emboar. OK, Skar goes faster, but like Heavy Bomber, Heat Stamp does more damage if you are more heavy than the opponent.

In this case, only one (or two, depending) Body Purge(s) is(are) needed to be OHKOed by the STABed Heat Stamp from the masive Attack Stat of Emboar.

Anyway, Skar continues with Spikes, and can be breeded with Whirlwind and Brave Bird/Drill Peck (Staraptor and Fearow as Fathers, respectibly), and, well, its possible a Curse Set.

See you.
lol wut

Except for the comment about Roost (Roost is incompatible with Breakable Armor), I have no clue what the hell you're talking about in this post. Skarmories for the 4th gen can be transferred you know.

So has anybody been using Skarmory to much success this gen? I've only seen two and I think he's just what my team needs with a tough physical wall, Spikes and Whirlwind.

Use Sp. Defensive Skarmory. I use him on my defensive teamto great success this generation, as he makes most dragons + Skymin utterly useless.

Brave Bird is also a MUST on this thing nowadays, as well as Shed Shell.

Rhys DeAnno

Slacking Off
With the "Wifi" tier metagame revolving so much around Physical Sand Offense, the basic physically defensive Skarm (with BB/Roost/Whirlwind/SR or Spikes) has become an incredibly useful wall. The two biggest setup threats by usage are Dory at #2 and Garchomp at #5 on PO wifi right now. Physical Skarm can pretty much come in and hard counter both, laying spikes or roosting off damage until they get 1-2 dances and then WWing them out. It can even pop Dory's Balloon with Brave Bird so it starts taking spikes damage! The only way for it to lose to either if in good health is a massive amount of hax or if they are the last pokemon, and it is probably the only thing in the game that can manhandle both of them like this.

Pokemon like Roobushin or Breloom or Hitmontop can wound/kill +2 Dory with Mach Punch, and Choice Scarf Golduck (lolz) can revenge it with Surf, but Skarm is really the only thing in the whole wifi meta that can come into it basically fearlessly.

Why is no one talking about Free Fall? giving Skarmory a free turn of leftovers is a pretty big deal. Brave Bird seems such a poor choice for a wall, chipping away at your bulk, especially when Skarmory has such low HP for a wall.
Probably for the same reason nobody ever considered Fly to get extra Leftovers recovery: two turn moves are awful.

Probably for the same reason nobody ever considered Fly to get extra Leftovers recovery: two turn moves are awful.
Your opponent can't switch out of Free Fall, making the problem with most two turn moves nonexistent. More of a problem is its 60 BP.

I'm surprised this thread isn't as crowded as some other ones...guess Nattorei is hogging the spotlight.

Same old reliable Steel bird as ever. Should act as an unbelievable counter to Doryuzuu, which is definitely welcomed in a game dominated by him (so far, at least).

Stealth Rock gained a lot of value this generation, so Skarmory got a little bit better. Besides that and free fall, nothing too good though.

Free Fall could be really awesome for Skarmory, especially with Toxic Spikes support. You Free Fall and heal 12% while the opponent gets hit with at least 18% from poison. Add that with another 12% if sand/etc is present and the entry hazard damage (if any), and Skarm could be more of a bitch to take down. I like it.

One thing that I think will hinder Skarmory this gen is the fact that Shed Shell is nowhere to be seen. As far as I can tell, there's no way to get it in-game

One thing that I think will hinder Skarmory this gen is the fact that Shed Shell is nowhere to be seen. As far as I can tell, there's no way to get it in-game
found on the dark/fighting pokemon in the wild IIRC, possible some bug pokemon carry it too

Sturdy's new awesomeness gives Skarm an updated Phazer role. Let's say things get out of hand, and your opponents gets 3 Swords Dances on their Garchomp, as long as there is no stealth rock up, Skarm with full life can come in, get wrecked by whatever +6 crazy move the Chomp does to it, survive the hit because of Sturdy, and whirlwind him out. Chomp is a bad example since Skarm walls it so well, but you know the deal.

While Skarmory hasn't gotten any useful new toys to play with, it is as sturdy as ever considering the 15 new fighting types that were introduced this generation and still having massive defense. While often overshadowed by the new Nattorei, Skarmory has a great advantage having an immunity to ground type attacks and shutting down the new fighting types,which Nattorei cannot do. Common physical attackers such as:

• Doryuuzu
  • Garchomp
  • Roobushin
  • Breloom (Post-Spore)
  • Terakion
  • Tyranitar (most carry Flamethrower now)
  • Scizor
are all walled easily by Skarmory. I most commonly use Skarmory as a Spikes Lead, with Sturdy, It is usually guaranteed to get up at least two layers and come back later in the match to wall the hell out of opponents sweepers.

While Nattorei and Skarm are comparable, they are totally different. Nattorei takes more general hits while Skarm takes physical hits. Also generally Skarmory is more of a Stall approach to a team, usually needing a Specially defensive partner, whereas Nattorei is a balanced approach as more of a nonchalant wall. It depends on the role you want for your team, and how you want it done and in which ways.

Also, Skarmory > Gliscor

Skarmory is easily the best defensive pokemon in the metagame right now. EV'd correctly, it'll easily take on Lati@s, Tyranitar with a fire attack, Rankurusu, and so many other threats. And it'll always beat Doryuuzu and Randorosu, barring crazy crits and hax. Quite underrated for such a full stop to many teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)