Rapidash - The Fire Horse Pokemon

I am not at all a competitive battler, restricting myself to making teams with pokesav and using them in Platinum's Battle Tower, but I do base the sets on smogon's Strategy Pokedex and so I feel I have a decent understanding of how things work here.

Anyway, Rapidash has always been one of my favorite pokemon, with its cool, beautiful design, and though it still doesn't have moves I've long thought it should have, it still is better in Black and White than ever before. It might even be usable in UU. So I think it deserves a topic.

#78 Rapidash

Typing: Fire

Abilities:
1. Run Away: Can always run during non-trainer battles.
2. Flash Fire: User is immune to damage from Fire type moves and its Fire type attacks deal 1.5 times damage after it is hit by a Fire type move.
3. Flame Body (Dream World): If an opponent makes physical contact during an attack it has a 30% chance of being inflicted with Burn status.

Base stats: HP: 65 Attack: 100 Defense: 70 Sp. Attack: 80 Sp. Defense: 80 Speed: 105

Moves: Moves in BOLD are to my knowledge what are regarded as competitive (or potentially competitive) moves for it.

Level Up Moves:
Lv1: Poison Jab, Lv1: Megahorn, Lv1: Growl, Lv1: Quick Attack, Lv1: Tail Whip, Lv1: Ember, Lv4: Tail Whip, Lv9: Ember, Lv13: Flame Wheel, Lv17: Stomp, Lv21: Nitro Charge, Lv25: Fire Spin, Lv29: Take Down, Lv33: Purgatory, Lv37: Agility, Lv40: Fury Attack, Lv41: Fire Blast, Lv45: Bounce, Lv49: Flare Blitz

TM Moves:
TM06 - Toxic, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM11 - Sunny Day, TM15 - Hyper Beam, TM17 - Protect, TM21 - Frustration, TM22 - Solar Beam, TM27 - Return, TM32 - Double Team, TM35 - Flamethower, TM38 - Fire Blast , TM42 - Facade, TM43 - Nitro Charge, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM48 - Troll, TM49 - Echo Voice, TM50 - Overheat, TM59 - Incinerate, TM61 - Will-O-Wisp, TM68 - Giga Impact, TM84 - Poison Jab, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, TM93 - Wild Bolt, HM04 - Strength

Egg moves:
Flame Wheel
Thrash
Double Kick
Hypnosis
Charm
Double-Edge
Horn Drill
Morning Sun
Low Kick
Captivate

Wild Bolt: Physical Electric PP: 15 Power: 90 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: Recoil damage on user.

Low Kick: Physical Fighting PP: 20 Power: ?? / Accuracy: 100 Effect: Gains power based on foe's weight. This is not a new move for the game but a reference chart is linked below for pokemon hit with the higher attack numbers for the sake of conveniance: Note that the lists lack generation V pokemon

80 base power: http://serebii.net/games/gklk/100.shtml

100 base power: http://serebii.net/games/gklk/200.shtml

120 base power: http://serebii.net/games/gklk/2000.shtml

<><><>

First let me just say its a crime that this thing STILL can't learn Earthquake (it doesn't even get the weaker Smooth Over). I mean it weighs more than Stantler and yet Stantler gets Earthquake and both have hooves!

I also find it odd that it can learn a move like Bounce but doesn't learn Jump Kick. Albeit Low Kick can against some foes be stronger and at least Rapidash now has a reliable physical attack to use on Rock types, as well as one for Water types (Wild Bolt).

On another note, while its DW ability does make sense, it isn't all that useful compared to Flash Fire. Even so, the additional physical moves in its movepool are a welcome change.

Potential set/s:

1. Pure offense.

Rapidash @ Choice Band/Life Orb/Expert Belt
Nature: Adamant or Jolly
Ability: Flash Fire
4 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed
~Flare Blitz
~Megahorn
~Low Kick
~Wild Bolt

Rapidash's assets are its above-average Attack and Speed stats (though nowadays they may only be "barely" above average), and this set is a typical one to capitalize on that. With no attack boosting moves Rapidash is not likely to sweep but with better type coverage thanks to its new moves it is likely to be able to do good damage, perhaps as a revenge killer. Indeed it may be best to switch it in only on slower, weakened foes or ones you are sure you can outspeed and OHKO, then switch back out. Will-O-Wisp of course is an option to burn a foe you can't beat.

With Stealth Rock around and two recoil moves I think Expert Belt might be a better item choice than Life Orb if you want to be able to switch attacks. If you can afford to switch in repeatedly though and simply deliver a super effective hit and then switch back out then Choice Band obviously is superior, but with the likely entry hazards floating around that seems unlikely. Therefore Expert Belt may be the best overall option.

I would write more but I'm sure there are people here who could say more about the true competitive aspects that I only read about.

I will note lastly that "Wild Bolt" in addition to being a useful move is a good name for a move on a horse pokemon (or rather the horse itself), don't you think? ^_^

i would use something along the lines of:

The Makeshift Pegasus
Rapidash ~ Balloon
-Flash Fire-
Flair Blitz
Low Kick / Wild Volt
Hypnosis / Swagger
Will-O-Wisp / Swagger

I suggest Low Kick over Wild Volt as at least low kick hits water types, while wild volt cannot hit the rock/ground dual-type at all thanks to ground's immunity to electricity. And as you are running balloon, chances are you may see a rock type trying to Stone Edge Rapidash away as Earthquakes won't work on it. The idea here is to switch in on an obvious Earthquake or Fire type attack as you are essentially immune to them both. then with your impressive speed you can cripple them with status or go for the kill if you have the type advantage. Fire and Fighting go very well together but as I didn't do the calculations, i wouldnt know here to begin on what it can OHKO. Wild Volt is an option but hacks away at Rapidash's life when paired with Flair Blitz. The recoil may put your horse in the glue factory quicker then expected.

Swagger is an option to annoy special attackers as they will be hitting themselves with boosted attacks.

This Rapidash is still frail but if played right can us its speed to its advantage. use the free switch-in opportunities that Flash Fire and Balloon give you.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
The Physical Set definitely got a boost with Wild Bolt and Low Kick, but besides that nothing much has changed. Arcanine still gives him a run for his money.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
The relation between Arcanine and Rapidash reminds me of that of Heracross and Pinsir. One is obviously overall better than the other. But the lesser of the two still has its uses.

While my dreams of a shiny Rapidash nicknamed Shadowfax with the speed boost ability have been dashed, that doesn't mean he isn't usable in the lower tiers. With that base attack, Wild Bolt should definitely help him against any of the lower tier water typed pokemon he may have had a problem with.

Nitro Charge is a potentially useful move. It might not be the best, but I suppose it could have it's uses.

The Physical Set definitely got a boost with Wild Bolt and Low Kick, but besides that nothing much has changed. Arcanine still gives him a run for his money.
I'm in no way saying Rapidash is better than Arcanine, but...

Doesn't Low Kick give Rapidash a better edge over Rock types, versus Arcanine who must (and usually doesn't) rely on HP Grass or Iron Head?

That, and a higher base speed (yes, even without access to ExtremeSpeed).

I'm in no way saying Rapidash is better than Arcanine, but...

Doesn't Low Kick give Rapidash a better edge over Rock types, versus Arcanine who must (and usually doesn't) rely on HP Grass or Iron Head?
Arcanine gets close combat now, so no.

Looks interesting, but I agree that Arcanine still outclasses Rapidash, though it still has it's uses and niches.

Although a minor error, the OP says Wild Bolt is a physical Fire type move when it should be Electric.

I would say that Will-o-wisp would be a great move, but Rapidash doesn't seem to have the bulk to survive Earthquakes from really strong guys even if they are burned.

Hmm so it only gets Wild Bolt and Low Kick. That should be rapidash up higher, but not that much as it's still outclassed by arcanine (why did they give it CC -.-)

I think Wild Bolt and Low Kick will give Rapidash a boost in lower tiers, since he gains coverage on Water / Rock now. I don't know what the UU bulky water situation will be, but Rapidash's old UU enemies Milotic and Rhyperior won't be nearly as tough to get around. Of course, Arcanine got Wild Bolt and Close Combat, so Rapidash's niche over Arcanine is still only Megahorn.

breh

強いだね
Well.. you can use hypnosis somewhere right?

Otherwise, while Rapidash is cool and all, it's still pretty suckish. It's soooo outclassed by Arcanine it's not even funny.

Doesn't he get Baton Pass through one of the 3rd gen games? Gale of Darkness, wasn't it? That might be useful on a Nitro Charge set or something...

breh

強いだね
Doesn't he get Baton Pass through one of the 3rd gen games? Gale of Darkness, wasn't it? That might be useful on a Nitro Charge set or something...
Not a bad idea at all... Nitro Charge/BP/Flare Blitz/Wild Bolt is actually pretty nice looking IMO. And it differentiates it from Arcanine.

Seriously why couldn't they have given it Reckless? >_<

Not a bad idea at all... Nitro Charge/BP/Flare Blitz/Wild Bolt is actually pretty nice looking IMO.
Agility > Nitro Charge for Baton Passing, as Nitro Charge does terrible damage anyway.
I would say that Will-o-wisp would be a great move, but Rapidash doesn't seem to have the bulk to survive Earthquakes from really strong guys even if they are burned.
It is a good move, actually. You can hit stuff with WoW on the switch-in.

A shame to see that Rapidash didn't really get much aside from Wild Bolt and Low Kick. Still, it's better than nothing. I suppose you could run something like:

Rapidash @ Wide Lens (for Hypnosis) or Lefties (for WoW)
Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Bolt
- Hypnosis / Will-o-Wisp
- Morning Sun / Will-o-Wisp

Morning Sun has some use and makes Rapidash not die immediately because of recoil + SR damage, but dual status is also really nice to have.

Put both Wow and Hypnosis on the Wide lens set. Wild Bolt or Low Kick depends on whether you want to get walled by Grounds or Bulky Waters.

I wish this thing was faster, since base105 isnt enough, especially for a set with status. Nitro Charge+Baton Pass can also work, but you can definitely combine the Nitro Charge set and Status set.

Something like Baton pass/Nitro Charge/Hypnosis or Wow/Wild Bolt or Low Kick.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Y'know, if I could have picked two moves within reason for Rapidash to learn, Wild Bolt and Low Kick would have been way up there. They are great additions for sure.

It isn't fair to compare him to Arcanine because there's no way they're going to end up in the same tier. They weren't in 4th gen and that's not likely to change. Comparing him to Entei is more appropriate but remember that Entei can only really be compared to Rapidash if he uses Flare Blitz in which case he a) needs to be Adamant and b) needs to use Pressure. That means Rapidash has a significant speed advantage over Entei and the ever-useful Flash Fire ability.

The Choice Band set looks awesome now...I used to hate being forced to run Return, Hypnosis or even Double-Kick. 100 Atk is reasonably modest by todays standards but consider that with Flare Blitz/Megahorn/Wild Bolt/Low Kick Rapidash will be hitting the majority of targets for at least 180BP. With two recoil-inducing moves and a SR weakness don't expect him to live too long though. Especially with that poor base HP.

I was secretly hoping he'd evolve btw. With him already being a mythical creature (he's a unicorn, I dunno why GF insist on passing him off as a horse) I would have liked to see him evolve into a Pegasus. How cool would that be!

A CB set can be checked easily, since once you Ko a Pokemon, an appropriate counter will swich in, and you will be forced to run. Considering its SR weakness, you cant switch in too much.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Calm Pokemaster said:
A CB set can be checked easily, since once you Ko a Pokemon, an appropriate counter will swich in,
lol

I'm well aware of the limitations of Choice Band but if that's your idea of checking something then you have problems.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
I don't see Morning Sun working out on Rapidash because its defenses suck, its SR weak, and sand storm may be more prevalant this generation.

GameFreak really wanted every Fire type to be able to run a viable Choice Band set this time around.

Except Flareon... oh well at least Flareon's special attack isn't too bad so it can go mixed.

Even if Rapidash had more Spl Atk you cant make it mixed, since the only Spl Attacks of note it gets out of its Fire STABS are Solarbeam and Hidden Power. Sticking with the physical set or the status set would be best.

@Lee I just gave an example regarding Rapidash's SR weakness, doesnt mean thats the only way you have to check Choice Banders, that too Rapidash. Rapidash is countered fairly well by Quagsire, who is immune to Wild Bolt, and resists all of his Fire STAB.

Even if Rapidash had more Spl Atk you cant make it mixed, since the only Spl Attacks of note it gets out of its Fire STABS are Solarbeam and Hidden Power. Sticking with the physical set or the status set would be best.
Actually, the analysis on the page has a mixed set. HP Grass is useful on Rapidash and can net you surprise kill on defensively bulky water/ground types that attempt to wall it. With a fully physical set, grounds will render Wild Bolt useless, and there's really not much Rapidash can do to them otherwise.

Megahorn (backed by Choice Band) isn't useless vs the water/grounds.

Rapidash should just live with not hitting them for super-effective damage because the 4-attack physical set doesn't have to split EV's and hits everything else harder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)