Serperior

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Remember that Perversity is now named Contrarian, and that Jaroda can learn Leech Seed to fend off Heatran, though it can use Hidden Power Water for that matter.

Remember that Perversity is now named Contrarian, and that Jaroda can learn Leech Seed to fend off Heatran, though it can use Hidden Power Water for that matter.
But then you're walled by Grass types (also, is there any reason you're running HP Water over HP Ground? It hits Heatran harder as well as hitting Fire types for the same amount of damage.) Jaroda's Special movepool really only consists of Leaf Storm, Hidden Power, and Wring Out.

Just in my opinion, Jaroda's at his best running HP Rock, and simply switching out whenever he can't handle what just came in.

A neutral Hidden Power hits almost 40% harder than a 1/4 effective Leaf Storm (70 v 52.5). That covers Heatran, Skarmory, Scizor, Aianto, Gengar, Venusaur, & other Grass/Poisons. Most of the other 1/4 resists take SE damage from Rock so there should never be a difficult choice to make.

But a 1/2 effective Leaf Storm will be 50% more effective than a neutral Hidden Power (105 v 70). That covers Celebi, Erufuun, Sceptile, and Blaziken, to name a few.

Imo, any Jaroda running Wring Out would want to have gotten a Hammer Arm speed drop passed to it, so that it doesn't have to run Sub to beat the Scarfers. ChanBliss and priority are still gonna wreck Jaroda but you can't have everything.

Nattorei resists HP Rock so Leaf Storm is actually stronger against it. If you run HP Fire, the only things that resist that combination are Fire types and Dragon types (and some random Pokemon like Herbivore Azumarill). Wring Out can hit most Dragon types pretty hard but Shanderaa and Heatran still pose a problem. If you're worried about them, you can run HP Ground. This means that I think Skarmory, Gengar, Drifblim, and Bronzong are the only Pokemon that resist all of your attacks.

Nattorei resists HP Rock so Leaf Storm is actually stronger against it. If you run HP Fire, the only things that resist that combination are Fire types and Dragon types (and some random Pokemon like Herbivore Azumarill). Wring Out can hit most Dragon types pretty hard but Shanderaa and Heatran still pose a problem. If you're worried about them, you can run HP Ground. This means that I think Skarmory, Gengar, Drifblim, and Bronzong are the only Pokemon that resist all of your attacks.
Ah, right, Natt's Grass/Steel.

Well, how many Leaf Storms can Natt actually take?

On PO's beta server I played a lot of games with Perversity/Contrarian Jaroda and I think it's good, but overhyped. You have to realize that midget base 75SpA and horrible coverage (grass + HP whatever is bad coverage) doesn't make Jaroda that good. Still, spamming a 140 STAB move while gaining a free +2NP boost is still amazing. Don't make the mistake to think that everything with a 2x resist will stop Jaroda. It can tear through offensive teams like a hot knife through butter and most of the Pokémon that stop Jaroda are handled by Magnezone/Shandera.

I tried many Jaroda sets w/ Perversity, but without a doubt Scarf Jaroda was the best. With it's high speed, it is a decent revenge killer early-/midgame and an amazing cleaner endgame. Basically the only move you have to use is Leaf Storm. Just throw a random HP and two support moves in (like Glare, Dragon Tail, Leech Seed, et cetera), you will rarely/never use.

Basically:
Spikes + Trapper (Magnezone/Shandera) + ScarfJaroda
= easy win

The only letdown is LeafStorm's low PP and not perfect accuracy. Also, ScarfJaroda fails to outspeed mole in sand and Kingdra in rain. Herbivore users are also annoying, but rare and bad.

However, (Perversity) Jaroda is a very fun and easy Pokémon to use. It can easily overpower most/all offensive teams, especially with Spikes down (very easy to lay down this gen). Nothing on an offensive team enjoys switching in multiple times into Jaroda and not much outspeeds ScarfJaroda, so when you switch in you will basically have to take a +2 LS. Nevertheless Nattorei, Skarmory and Heatran stop Jaroda, but all of those are easily trapped and removed and despite the 4x resist +4/+6 LS will hurt.

Let's say it that way:
Jaroda is good, not amazing, but still usable. It's easily stopped by quite a lot Pokémon, but with Spikes, a few boosts and prior damage those are also manageable.

How are Chansey and Blissey ruining Jarooda when it's going to recover like 200 HP from Leech Seeding them? lol

Huh wtf, a SubSeed set means you're focusing on a SubSeed strategy, you aren't trying to sweep with Leaf Storm and a coverage move. Jaroda has a useful base speed and decent bulk which makes him a balance between Sceptile and something like Celebi. Perversity + Leaf Storm helps to wear down the opponent faster and is a strong option for cleaning up, but a SubSeed set should focus on SubSeeding!

Suggesting HP Ground or Water or something is lame cos you'll be sitting behind a Substitute and be able to kill both Heatran and Rotom-H and whatever you're trying to kill purely with Leech Seed. Hidden Power should only be used to remove obstacles to your strategy i.e. Magic Guard Pokemon and Grass types. Heatran or Sazandora do not threaten you when you're behind a sub. Nattorei and Birijion do.

Solid speed, okish defence and good boosting moves? Why doesn't it get Baton Pass?
Ninjask and Blaziken will be Leads with Speed Boosts that can Baton Pass offensive stats. Other things can Baton Pass to Jaroda to make him "Boss".

When using a guy who can clean, *sunglasses* give him the right materials to do so.

Ninjask and Blaziken will be Leads with Speed Boosts that can Baton Pass offensive stats. Other things can Baton Pass to Jaroda to make him "Boss".
Unless it's a Baton Pass team, I don't think BP Leads will work this Generation, seeing as they didn't work last gen either. Specially Ninjask, it won't ever work. ):

But I can see Blaziken working midgame.

..I just got beaten down by a perverse leaf storm smugleaf last night. This thing is not something to mess with D: It did 80% to my umbreon..then again it was at max special attack by the time I realized what was going on(Blame the language barrier/I wasn't paying it much attention), still I managed to beat it down with scarfed u-turns. Thank god I had flygon on me...After losing three pokemon to it. *First in battle, the other two were fodder* I hope that

Why do the sub seed sets still have 252HP EV spreads? Looking at the 4th gen analysis of Jumpluff, splitting between Def and SpDef seems to be preferable, as maximizing Leech Seed recovery is more important than overall bulk.

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Why not Leaf Storm, Hidden Power [Fighting], Wring Out, and a filler move?

Leaf Storm for obvious STAB, Hidden Power [Fighting] to deal massive damage to Heatran, Nattorei, and other Steels, and deals great neutral damage to Skarmory, Bronzong, and others, and Wring Out to the other Pokemon resisting this combination.

Nonetheless, in OU, Gengar will resist this combination [but can't take a boosted Leaf Storm]... :D

Personally, I think Jaroda's best strategy would be:
To have a Timid Nature (252 Speed Evs/252 Sp.Attack Evs/4HP Evs)
Moves:
Mean Look
Leaf Storm
Wring Out
Hidden Power (the type you like the most)

This way, Jaroda will be able to switch into a relatively weak (or statused) Pokémon and use Mean Look, then Leaf Storm to death and boost its Sp. Attack. When another Pokémon is sent out Jaroda will have a Sp.Attack of at least 498 (which is rather high). Depending on the opponent's resistances Jaroda can either use Wring Out (110 base power) or Hidden Power (either Fire, to counter Steel-types and other Grass-types/ Water, to counter Fire-types/ Or Ground/Rock/Ice)

Personally, I think Jaroda's best strategy would be:
To have a Timid Nature (252 Speed Evs/252 Sp.Attack Evs/4HP Evs)
Moves:
Mean Look
Leaf Storm
Wring Out
Hidden Power (the type you like the most)

This way, Jaroda will be able to switch into a relatively weak (or statused) Pokémon and use Mean Look, then Leaf Storm to death and boost its Sp. Attack. When another Pokémon is sent out Jaroda will have a Sp.Attack of at least 498 (which is rather high). Depending on the opponent's resistances Jaroda can either use Wring Out (110 base power) or Hidden Power (either Fire, to counter Steel-types and other Grass-types/ Water, to counter Fire-types/ Or Ground/Rock/Ice)
The pokemon would switch out. Then, with Mean Look, you'd be locking in the pokemon that they brought in specifically to kill Jaroda...

I know this question has been asked before, but I don't feel it was given a satisfactory answer. And since nobody around here ever likes to check for facts, there's always inaccuracies flying around.

Anyway, my question is this: does perversity (the dreamworld ability) affect all moves used by Jaroda, or is it strictly to reverse stat changes done to the user? If its the latter, then obviously leaf storm is still the only useful thing to be taken from this ability. However, if the ability makes it so that any stat-changing move is reversed, then swagger could be a very useful status move. Serebii and Bulbapedia are both vague on this issue, and the Japanese translations are very ambiguous.

Earlier in this thread, somebody reported that the former assumption was false based on the fact that an opponent's stat-boosting moves still worked as they should. But as you can see, that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking if Jaroda uses leer, does its opponent's defense rise? If it uses swagger, does its attack fall? Has anyone actually tested this?

I know this question has been asked before, but I don't feel it was given a satisfactory answer. And since nobody around here ever likes to check for facts, there's always inaccuracies flying around.

Anyway, my question is this: does perversity (the dreamworld ability) affect all moves used by Jaroda, or is it strictly to reverse stat changes done to the user? If its the latter, then obviously leaf storm is still the only useful thing to be taken from this ability. However, if the ability makes it so that any stat-changing move is reversed, then swagger could be a very useful status move. Serebii and Bulbapedia are both vague on this issue, and the Japanese translations are very ambiguous.

Earlier in this thread, somebody reported that the former assumption was false based on the fact that an opponent's stat-boosting moves still worked as they should. But as you can see, that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking if Jaroda uses leer, does its opponent's defense rise? If it uses swagger, does its attack fall? Has anyone actually tested this?
People have tested it, only stat changes that apply to Jaroda are reversed. Anything you do to the opponent will not be reversed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)