Volcarona

People were forever complaining about the lack of Rapid Spinners in DPPt. Having only two new ones doesn't make Rapid Spin suddenly more available.

Fair enough about Espeon, as both sides now can see the opponent's teams before battle.
I realize this is the case with random Wi-fi battles, but since it doesn't apply to pal pad battles, why should it also apply to simulators? Does Pokemon Online use it? Why would Smogon or any Simulator use this format, unless everyone really wants it? Most people seem to be against it, from what I've seen, so why would it be implemented on simulators?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I realize this is the case with random Wi-fi battles, but since it doesn't apply to pal pad battles, why should it also apply to simulators? Does Pokemon Online use it? Why would Smogon or any Simulator use this format, unless everyone really wants it? Most people seem to be against it, from what I've seen, so why would it be implemented on simulators?
I'm sure at least three diferent people on both IRC and the forums have attested to Pal Pad battles having this mechanic. Only IR battles doesn't have it, but have a lv50 auto-level instead (and lol infrared).

exactly... with hp ground.. bulkynite owns u, but with hp rock ...u cant do much to heatran or shandera
Even with HP rock, you struggle to beat a Dragonite.
Hp Rock can handle both Heatran and Chandera. Moth could take a Heatran hit and 2HKO with neutral HP Rock, and Chandera is weak to rock itself.
There were lists of counters in this thread, but the general gist that everyone seems to agree on is to build the Hidden Power based on what your team can cover or handle.

People were forever complaining about the lack of Rapid Spinners in DPPt. Having only two new ones doesn't make Rapid Spin suddenly more available.
Doryzuu makes a great partner in Sandstorm and can handle most ghosts accordingly.
Other Rapid Spinners got a boost in some form.
In addition, Rotom-A was an incredible spinblocker. I just cannot see the water/ghost or ground/ghost living up to that. And if you are using Doryzuu, there is no way a Chandera would ever switch in on you while there is a sandstorm present.
Desukan is to me a special gimmick Dusknoir.
Overall, the lack of potency in stopping Rapid spin is why I believe it to be more effective. You could have rapid spin distributed to a lot of new pokemon--rather, they gave it to a couple with the potential to defeat ghosts.

In addition, Rotom-A was an incredible spinblocker. I just cannot see the water/ghost or ground/ghost living up to that.
The Water/Ghost is quite decent and the Pre-evo stone gives some less used ghosts more presence (for example Dusclops). If you really feel the need to run a spin-blocker it's not that hard to find one.

Has anyone brought up using bulb on urugamosu in place of life orb? seems like a safe replacement, and with it it can take a surf/boiling water from burunkeru and raise special attack!

Has anyone brought up using bulb on urugamosu in place of life orb? seems like a safe replacement, and with it it can take a surf/boiling water from burunkeru and raise special attack!
Bulb does not make you immune to the water attack. It merely raises your Sp. Atk. when you get hit by one.

Still it's not a terrible idea, often times people think Burunkeru would be a good idea when it comes to switching in on Urugamosu, but Burunkeru can't really do anything thanks to Butterfly Dances Sp.Def boost, so gaining an extra SpAtk boost in the process would be pretty cool.

I can imagine there being better options, but personally I don't think LO is a very good option either.

Still it's not a terrible idea, often times people think Burunkeru would be a good idea when it comes to switching in on Urugamosu, but Burunkeru can't really do anything thanks to Butterfly Dances Sp.Def boost, so gaining an extra SpAtk boost in the process would be pretty cool.

I can imagine there being better options, but personally I don't think LO is a very good option either.
This sounds good when you first think about it, but it's really kind of pointless.

If they switch in Burunkeru after you Butterfly Dance once, you'll be at +1 Sp. Def, Sp. Atk and Speed. Instead of holding a gimmicky item, replace Bulb with something else and just Butterfly Dance again. Burunkeru is not going to break through a +2 Urugamosu.

No I know, but that's the thing, boost again while it tries to use Boiling Water and you're sitting at +3, +2, +2, enough to outrun everything in the game and do some serious damage, hell, you might even be able to get in another Butterfly Dance and go for +4, +3, +3 but that's a bit excessive. Personally I've found that Expert Belt and Leftovers are pretty good options for this guy.

No I know, but that's the thing, boost again while it tries to use Boiling Water and you're sitting at +3, +2, +2, enough to outrun everything in the game and do some serious damage, hell, you might even be able to get in another Butterfly Dance and go for +4, +3, +3 but that's a bit excessive. Personally I've found that Expert Belt and Leftovers are pretty good options for this guy.
But like, the only things that are taking a +2 STAB hit from 135 Special Attack are dedicated special walls and I'm fairly sure you just killed theirs off. They might have a Nattorei paired up with Burunkeru but that's definitely a non factor.

I have used this thing quite a lot on PO and it's a monster. It does require lots of support however, rapid spin is a no-brainer ofc.

I don't know if it's been mentioned earlier in the thread but instead of a hidden power it can run psychic for coverage. It KOes kerudio and terakion, 2 of it's biggest counters (who also resist HP rock btw), and boosted psychic still hits mence, nite and gyara hard. It's only walled by heatran, however without SE hidden power heatran cannot really threaten Urugamosu (assuming it got at least 1 butterfly dance) and you can simpy keep using bdance until it's strong enough to get rid of heatran with psychic. HP ground is also somewhat poor option as lots of heatrans carry the new balloon item.

Also i much prefer flame dance to fire blast. At +1 it still does plenty of damage, but important thing is that if you manage to get additional boost psychic will be OHKOing even things that it doesn't hit SE. Also i found leftovers a much better choice than life orb, simply because urugamosu is already insanely powerful and leftovers help a lot when you're setting up against heatran or burunkeru. Lum berry is also an option to safely set up on nattorei (who might carry thunder wave).

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Wind Storm gives good coverage with Fire and Bug actually. It hits Kerudio, Mence, Nite, Gyara and Terakion for good damage. The only thing it really misses out on is Heatran, which can't do all that much to you.

Wind Storm gives good coverage with Fire and Bug actually. It hits Kerudio, Mence, Nite, Gyara and Terakion for good damage. The only thing it really misses out on is Heatran, which can't do all that much to you.
Yeah, that is an awesome move, but it's accuracy is a let-down. Use it in the Sun, though, it's awesome! The sun will lower the power of water moves (Right?) and Wind Storm will have 100% accuracy! That would be awesome.

@PooF: Yeah, Pyschic might actually be a good replacement if you're not using Wind Storm/ HP (I don't really think HP is necessary since it's really only good for Shandera/ Heatran, who can't really hurt you after +1 SpDef). I actually think I might run Pychic in the last slots. Either that, or HP Rock. We'll see :D

If Urgamoth manages to get +2 in he's doing 39.3% - 46.4% to Heatran with windstorm, so a 3HKO, MAYBE 2 with rocks. Not bad, but Timid LOTran is doing 39.5% - 46.6% with Fire Blast, he just beats you. And if he's got a Flash Fire off? 58.8% - 69.5% Kinda sucks. Since you're faster, as long as you've got rock support you have a small chance to beat him, but it's a scary match up. That's without LO though, if you're running LO you'll be doing 51.1% - 60.4% which guarantees you the win, but I personally don't like running LO.

I can see this pairing really well with a Volbeat lead. Mischievous Heart + taunt ensures no rocks will hit the field. You could also bluff a taunt and pull off a tail glow + baton pass instead if you anticipate they will attack.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, that is an awesome move, but it's accuracy is a let-down. Use it in the Sun, though, it's awesome! The sun will lower the power of water moves (Right?) and Wind Storm will have 100% accuracy! That would be awesome.
Windstorm has 70% Acc except while under... Rain, when it gets 100% (or is it "nevermiss"?) Acc.

Wait, why does a Fire/Bug get a move that's reliable only under Rain...

I don't think Gale/Windstorm/Whatever it's called gets in acc. boost in any kind of weather. Thought I read that somewhere.

Well, I could be crazy or just plain wrong once again, so it's cool.

No no NO! I should really look stuff up before I say random garbage. Well, at least THAT delusion didn't last for more the a minute.

Gale\Windstorm: Does it get Swift-like accuracy in Rain, bypassing Evasion boosts\Accuracy drops?

Yes
My Vaporeon with Wind Storm didn't miss after 16 tries with a -6 Stage Accuracy during Rain.
From the research thread. So.....that's nice.
I guess. TOO BAD IT'S IN RAIN. wooo hoooo. Well, guess if someone comes in and tried to RAIN on your parade, you at LEAST have this move. Awesome.
I hope to see Morph Moth as a staple of Rain teams as a result of this perfect acc. coolness.

Wind Storm seems nice, but psychic accomplishes pretty much the same except it has 100% accuracy (it also hits Terakion SE unlike Wind Storm, which is really important, because if you can't OHKO Terakion, he will OHKO in return with stone edge/rock slide). Wind storm only gets 100% accuracy in the rain, which is obviously not a good weather for urugamosu. It's still inaccurate in the sun.

Also, while the sun is usually nice to power up Uru's fire STAB, it also makes heatran much more dangerous to it, and Uru usually really doesn't need that power boost. Most useful aspect of sun for Uru is probably that it protects him for aqua jet revenge kills.

I keep thinking that Doredia does this thing's job better than it
Umm, Doredia has horrible coverage, basically consisting of grass move+hidden power. It's offensive stats are also considerably lower than Uru's. It does get sleep powder to shut down counters, that's true, but as far as pure sweeping potential goes, Uru is much better.

Tyranitar and gyarados say hi
A LO Bug Buzz coming from Timid 252 Sp Atk. Urgamoth after a Butterfly Dance does 71.8% - 85.1% to a 252 HP/216 Sp.D Careful T-Tar (from the CurseTar set on the website) in the Sand. In other words, without heavy Sp.Def and HP investments, T-Tar can't switch in on Urgamoth or even revenge (ScarfTar can't outspeed Urgamoth after Butterfly Dance and gets OHKO'd by Bug Buzz).

Gyarados, on the other hand, can trouble Urgamoth if it isn't carrying HP Rock around (HP Rock OHKOs Bulky Gyarados after SR using the same Urgamoth as before).

I'm not sure what would be better in the last slot - HP Rock, or Pyschic. How much does Pyschic do on Dnite and Gyarados after +2 SpAtk?

If it doesn't OHKO them, I'm going with HP Rock and hoping that I don't see many Kerudio :/

On the topic of hold items - I'm quite fond of Lum. Paralysis and Sleep just ruin this guy, for obvious reasons, and you never know when something random is going to have Twave or the like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)