Elemental Gems

They could be useful on Pokemon that want to utilize things like Acrobat and Unburden.
Could work on Hitmonlee or Septile as mid-match sweepers (even starters). Switch in, use the powered up attack, then hopefully sweep with the speed boost.

These gems could even work with Thief maybe, on something fast.

In case there was any doubt, these things are consumed at first opportunity with the matching attack type, not "in a pinch" like Serebii is saying. My full health Deathcon used a held Ghost Jewel immediately when I used Shadow Ball on a wild Koromori.

To use a different attack afterwards?
But why not use a Life Orb then? Or if you're worried about recoil, an Expert Belt or Plate, which would similarly end up doing more damage over successive attacks? It just doesn't seem worth it for one strong attack--if that's all you want to do, then a Choice Item works just as well. To me, these don't seem too much different from stuff like Hyper Beam Porygon-Z--it may get one massive attack in, but it's just generally not the best option.

But why not use a Life Orb then? Or if you're worried about recoil, an Expert Belt or Plate, which would similarly end up doing more damage over successive attacks? It just doesn't seem worth it for one strong attack--if that's all you want to do, then a Choice Item works just as well. To me, these don't seem too much different from stuff like Hyper Beam Porygon-Z--it may get one massive attack in, but it's just generally not the best option.
Sometimes, you just want a OHKO on a certain check that no other item allows it on in order to keep the sweep going.

Only powers a move ONCE and IN A PINCH?

Why would I wait to go down to 50% before dealing major damage for one attack only? I'd rather just Life Orb and stick around for consecutive turns with several boosted attacks. The cumulative damage of two consecutive boosted attacks by Life Orb will be more powerful than one jewel-boosted turn followed by one unboosted turn.

EDIT: ASSUMING that it activates in a pinch. If it activated at the first opportunity, then the jewels would be worth much more merit.

Only powers a move ONCE and IN A PINCH?

Why would I wait to go down to 50% before dealing major damage for one attack only? I'd rather just Life Orb and stick around for consecutive turns with several boosted attacks. The cumulative damage of two consecutive boosted attacks by Life Orb will be more powerful than one jewel-boosted turn followed by one unboosted turn.

EDIT: ASSUMING that it activates in a pinch. If it activated at the first opportunity, then the jewels would be worth much more merit.
They activate on the first attack that applies. No pinch.

Well. That certainly changed my mind a bit. Hmm...Non-recoiling single-shot boosted attack of your choice. Could net surprise OHKOs from out of nowhere.
The gimmick kill in crystallized form. Think you've stopped my setup? Think you'll setup? Think again.

And Explosion. And Emboar can probably murder itself more efficiently with Reckless Wild Volt + Electric Gem.

EDIT: Compared to using Wild Volt + Life Orb (excessive recoil) or other items (too little power to KO)

Certainly, Rock Gem looks like Jaroda's best method of permanently taking out it's average checks.

These items will probably be greatest in any situation where a sweeper/breaker is walled by just a handful of similar pokemon, and your most powerful move isn't quite enough to take it down (thinking of Nattorei and Burunkeru specifically, since they are great general walls). Assuming you haven't used a same-type move before, you can easily plow right through them.

Sure, you would essentially be using up an entire slot for a single pokemon, but depending on how common the thing is, it could very well be worth it.

The gimmick kill in crystallized form. Think you've stopped my setup? Think you'll setup? Think again.

And Explosion. And Emboar can probably murder itself more efficiently with Reckless Wild Volt + Electric Gem.

EDIT: Compared to using Wild Volt + Life Orb (excessive recoil) or other items (too little power to KO)

Certainly, Rock Gem looks like Jaroda's best method of permanently taking out it's average checks.
Hehe. You basically get free STAB for one turn on any move you choose. This does make Explosion much more potent given its distribution. Many high-Attack pokes get it.

I agree with the Choice issue, at 50% you trade off a lot for one attack to be boosted, let alone you don't really decide when you use it - it could be wasted on a target in which the power boost isn't needed.

If you're going for raw power surely Choice is better as the usage is infinite.

If you're going for some sort of setup Life Orb is the better option.

Hell, after the third use of a move even hold items like Nevermeltice at a 20% boost are a better option, and in terms of a sweep 3 attacks from a Pokemon is perfectly viable.

I could see this item having use if it were to double the power of an attack (potentially having a SE effect on something which is neutral) or even if the boost were to stay until switching out. The way it is now, it's going to be relegated to niche uses like on Unburden sets.

explosion is not very good this gen since its power is now half
Well it's half the power of Gen 4 but in Gen 5 the jewels might bring it up to something around previous levels (Or not dunno the % yet)

I think this item might work best on any pokemon with acrobat and another powerful move (the one you'd use the jewel on and use first) and pokemon with unburden (and again another powerful move, added with STAB it could be quite deadly)

Unburden Acrobat Drifblim using a flying gem. Besides that, it could possibly work as a lure somewhat like faking a choice band with muscle band and then netting a OHKO by surprise.

Well it's half the power of Gen 4 but in Gen 5 the jewels might bring it up to something around previous levels (Or not dunno the % yet)
The jewels are a 50% increase so it would still only be 75% of its previous power and it would use up your item slot. It could still have some uses but most pokemon have better things to do.

I wonder if the lag from hyper beam would get "canceled out" in this set

Porygon-Z @normal boosting berry
rest
sleep talk
recyckle
hyper beam

XD

I wonder if the lag from hyper beam would get "canceled out" in this set

Porygon-Z @normal boosting berry
rest
sleep talk
recyckle
hyper beam

XD
... why would you think it would cancel the recharge time? That's not what they do. Unless you're implying something else, which you probably are. (Also, they're gems. Not berries.) That Porygon-Z is going to die really fast anyway. Anything with a base speed over 90 kills it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)