DEF: 75
SPA: 60
SPD: 60
SPE: 45

ABILITIES:

INTIMIDATE
lowers opponent's ATK upon entering battle

QUICK FEET
increases speed 50% when burned, frozen, poisoned, or asleep (not paralyzed)

DW: SELF CONCIOUS
"There are types you are self-conscious around of and raise your speed."*
-serebii

NOTABLE MOVES:
-LEVEL UP
Headbutt
Roar
Payback
Crunch
Outrage

-TM
Toxic
Bulk Up
Sunny Day
Taunt
Protect
Rain Dance
Earthquake
Return
Brick Break
Reflect
Torment
Facade
Rest
Payback
Vengance
Stone Edge
Thunder Wave
Cheer Up
Substitute
Wild Bolt

-EGG MOVES
Present
Crunch
Heal Bell
Smelling Salt
Close Combat
Focus Punch
Double-Edge

PROS:
•Great offensive movepool, including Close Combat, *Stone Edge, Wild Bolt, Return, Earthquake, Crunch, Outrage, Payback, Headbutt
•Great supporting movepool, including Roar, Toxic, Taunt, Protect, Sunny Day & Rain Dance, Reflect, Torment, Facade, Rest, Thunder Wave, Substitute, Heal Bell
•Fantastic 120 base ATK, can reach 372 ATK

CONS:
•Bad 90/75/60 base Defenses
•Normal type
•slow 45 base speed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm not good at movesets but here are some anyway

Granbull @Choice Band/Life Orb
Intimidate
252 ATK / 248 SPE / 8 DEF
~Earthquake
~Close Combat
~Stone Edge
~Wild Bolt/Crunch/Outrage

Granbull @Focus Sash
Intimidate
252 HP / 252 SPE / 4 DEF
~Substitute*
~Taunt
~Toxic/Thunder Wave
~Close Combat

and now a gimmick set
Granbull @Lefties
252 SPE / 252 HP / 4 DEF
~Taunt
~Thunder Wave
~Smelling Salt
~Close Combat/Crunch/Stone Edge

So that's my take on Granbull in GEN V.*

Now it's your turn.*

DISCUSS!

Self-Conscious boosts speed one stage when hit with a dark, ghost or bug type move. (types associated with common fears)

For a very situational set, something using Self-Conscious could work:

Granbull Jolly/Adamant 252 Speed 252 Atk (maybe some Defense or HP in place of Speed if you know the exact speed you need to be to outrun certain things)
Self-Conscious ~ Choice Scarf
Return
Close Combat
Crunch
Stone Edge

The idea here is to switch-in on something that will obviously use a Dark, Ghost or Bug attack (preferable physically) to get the free boost of speed thanks to Self-Conscious. then proceed to out-speed and destroy. the attacks are there for STAB and it hits bug, ghost and dark types super-effectively as those types will usually carry their own STAB and you can then out-speed and faint them. this is very situational but deserves at least a mention.

No Quick Feet abusing sets?
Quick feet raises speed by 50%, which would give Granbull only 67-68 SPE, so it still wouldn't outrun much. Plus it would have to hold a toxic/flame orb. The toxic orb would half its only good stat (ATK), and the toxic orb would kill it in 8 turns max, not helpful either.

Self-Conscious boosts speed one stage when hit with a dark, ghost or bug type move. (types associated with common fears)

For a very situational set, something using Self-Conscious could work:

Granbull Jolly/Adamant 252 Speed 252 Atk (maybe some Defense or HP in place of Speed if you know the exact speed you need to be to outrun certain things)
Self-Conscious ~ Choice Scarf
Return
Close Combat
Crunch
Stone Edge

The idea here is to switch-in on something that will obviously use a Dark, Ghost or Bug attack (preferable physically) to get the free boost of speed thanks to Self-Conscious. then proceed to out-speed and destroy. the attacks are there for STAB and it hits bug, ghost and dark types super-effectively as those types will usually carry their own STAB and you can then out-speed and faint them. this is very situational but deserves at least a mention.
Where did you find that information? It doesn't seem self-conscious to me more as it seems just plain scared (which kind of fits Granbull's personality, but…). I don't believe he'd get the boost by switching into a Ghost move either, seeing as it doesn't actually hit him. After all, Electivire doesn't get the Atk boost from Rechargeable battery, and Water Absorb Pokémon don't get the SpA boost from Bulb.

Where did you find that information? It doesn't seem self-conscious to me more as it seems just plain scared (which kind of fits Granbull's personality, but…). I don't believe he'd get the boost by switching into a Ghost move either, seeing as it doesn't actually hit him. After all, Electivire doesn't get the Atk boost from Rechargeable battery, and Water Absorb Pokémon don't get the SpA boost from Bulb.
The info on what it does is from the research thread, here:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3039067&postcount=884

And yeah, since Granbull is immune to Ghost-type attacks, a Granbull getting hit by one won't activate this ability:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3042045&postcount=915

Self Conscious made more sense when it was translated as "Jitters."

Still, Granbull's kinda iffy on switching in on bug/dark attacks, but it may make some foes think twice about U-Turn spam.

Quick feet raises speed by 50%, which would give Granbull only 67-68 SPE, so it still wouldn't outrun much. Plus it would have to hold a toxic/flame orb. The toxic orb would half its only good stat (ATK), and the toxic orb would kill it in 8 turns max, not helpful either.
Quick Feet raises his Speed by 50%, not his base Speed stat.

Granbull learns trick? I dont think so.
Quick feet does not make too much sense imo, even in NU where the pokes are in general not that fast. Granbull always did best with para support (which he can provide himself) and intimidate + physical bulk for me.
Looks like he'll stay NU again this gen ... He still looks badass

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Granbull @Focus Sash
Intimidate
252 HP / 252 SPE / 4 DEF
~Substitute*
~Taunt
~Toxic/Thunder Wave
~Close Combat
Focus Sash and Substitute on the same set is generally a bad idea. I would ditch Focus Sash in favor of Leftovers, even though its defenses are sub-par as a wall. Perhaps you could use it as a wallbreaker. Focus Punch could be an option over Close Combat if you are serious about setting up a Substitute.

Or, you could get rid of Substitute and run a mixed set:

Granbull @ Lum Berry / Expert Belt / Focus Sash?
+ Attack Nature
252 ATK / 252 SPA / 4 HP
Close Combat
Toxic / Thunder Wave
Flamethrower / Fire Blast
Crunch

This is borderline gimmicky, but it may work.

Get rid of that Thunder Wave/Smellingsalt set. It doesn't get Trick and that paralysis/Smellingsalt combo is terrible, even for a gimmick.

I know, but Quick Feet would still give give Granbull an effective speed stat of 67-68. I'm not saying his actual stat is increasing itself.
But that's not how it works and is inaccurate. Assuming 31 IVs, 252 EVs, and a neutral nature, Granbull has a speed of 189. Multiplying that by 1.5x gives you 283.5, which the game rounds down to 283. That corresponds to an effective Base Speed of 92 (a Pokemon with Base 92 speed which has 31 IVs, 252 EVs, and a neutral nature has a Speed of 283), which is quite a ways off from 67-68. As a result, multiplying the base stat by the boost isn't in any way a good estimate to what the boost actually is. In any case though, 92 Speed still might not be the best, but you are outspeeding stuff like Adamant Lucario (and with Jolly, Quick Feet Granbull reaches 310 Speed, which is enough to outspeed Jolly Lucario), so it's worth considering at least, IMO.

(Also, as someone else mentioned, Quick Feet does still increase you're speed when you're paralyzed--it ignores the speed drop from paralysis:
http://www.smogon.com/dp/abilities/quick_feet )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)