Ferrothorn + Jellicent, Stallmates

Timid Scarf Shanderaa's Overheat can OHKO most Roopushin so even if it runs Leftovers, it will still get trapped and KO'd. While ST Shanderaa doesn't exist yet, there was a Dream World tier on PO before they closed it and there may very well be one on Pokemon Lab as well.
Too bad that won't be what the official metagame will be. You can run ST Shanderaa on PO and PL all you want, but Smogon won't recognize it.

If this thread was titled "Threats on PO", I might agree with you, but currently, ST Shanderaa isn't a threat.

Not to mention switching a Ghost into Roopushin is still taking a risk, because they can go Mach Punch OR Payback (I still laugh sometimes when people switch out Nattorei for a Ghost, predicting a Mach Punch).

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Too bad that won't be what the official metagame will be. You can run ST Shanderaa on PO and PL all you want, but Smogon won't recognize it.

If this thread was titled "Threats on PO", I might agree with you, but currently, ST Shanderaa isn't a threat.

Not to mention switching a Ghost into Roopushin is still taking a risk, because they can go Mach Punch OR Payback (I still laugh sometimes when people switch out Nattorei for a Ghost, predicting a Mach Punch).
That's not really the point. It means you can scare it out, kill their primary Shandera check, and kill off Roobushin/whatever later. What you saying is like saying Arceus isn't a Magikarp check because Magikarp can switch out.

That's not really the point. It means you can scare it out, kill their primary Shandera check, and kill off Roobushin/whatever later. What you saying is like saying Arceus isn't a Magikarp check because Magikarp can switch out.
I was arguing against people who said that Choice Band Roopushin was worthless because of ST Shandera >.>

I think they will both be very good on stall teams and what people seem to forget is that you get 4 other pokemon as well, these 2 pokemon do not need to be the ultimate duo, the synergy of the whole team is what really matters

Why not use NattGeru in the rain? Nattorei's fire weakness is halved by the rain, while Burungeru's Boiling Water gets a power increase. True, DrizzleToed adds another Grass and Electric weakness, but you still have three team members left.

gliscor makes a wonderful teammate to this combo , they cover his weakness and he can take on lots of threats to this combo , like birijion and such ...

i tried it it works well , but i'm sure i'm not the only one though .

Just wanted to point out that even non-Shadow Tag Shandera wrecks this combination. We're not talking about any other Pokemon, we're talking about Nattorei and Burungeru, not what you'd use to counter Shandera. Fire Blast and Shadow Ball is dangerous to this pair.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Toxicroak wrecks them both too.
Sure it's not common, but both fear Taunt, Toxicroak can switch in on resisted grass and is immune to water, set up a sub, SD, and break the core.
Someone ("Persona 3" on Smogon PO server I think) brought this to my attention, and I think Toxicroak deserves a mention.

I've been thinking about this, and here are some Pokemon that can break this core, and definitely Pokemon you'll want to deal with using the other four members of your party.

Breloom resists everything but Shadow Ball and Gyro Ball, and if it's Poison Heal Breloom it can switch in all of the various statuses. Boil Over will usually fail to break its subs unless Buru invests in offense, and then it still won't break the subseeder's subs. Even Shadow Ball usually doesn't 2HKO, while Seed Bomb or Technician Bullet Seed will always at least 2HKO. Buru can run Ice Beam, which can catch Breloom on the switch, but as it's faster and Technician Breloom usually OHKOs, it isn't reliable. As for Nattorei, Power Whip and Gyro Ball will both break the standard subpuncher's subs, although Loom can scout for Whip misses or (in the case of max-HP Loom, such as the standard Gen4 subseeder) run more HP and sometimes soak two Whips on a sub. Poison Heal Loom OHKOs Nattorei with Focus Punch unless it's 252/252 +def nature (and even then it's a coinflip), Techniloom can take a hit on the switch, SD in Natt's face, and OHKO with +2 LO-boosted Mach Punch.

Birijion poses a similar threat. Without Ice Beam on Buru, it's setup bait for both special and physical Biri, and Nattorei will be maimed by either STAB Close Combat or STAB Focus Blast. A fast Taunt puts either Pokemon in a bad position, as well. It has even better bulk than Breloom, and laughs at anything either Pokemon can do but Ice Beam (and even that isn't too hot).

Zuruzukin is bulky, can set up on either Pokemon, and can (and generally will) run Shed Skin to slough off status. It can easily outspeed both, or it can be just slow enough to get double effect from Payback, whichever works better for the individual set. Its offenses aren't anything special, though, so Taunt Burungeru can usually keep it from setting up.

Sazandora can pose problems. It can carry Taunt, can hit both for SE damage, and resists Boil Over, Surf, Shadow Ball, and Power Whip. It's usually choiced and usually doesn't carry Dark STAB, so good prediction or careful scouting of its moveset may help.

Magnezone is an issue for both, unless it isn't carrying HP Fire for some reason. Specs Magnezone is the worst-case scenario because it can muscle through Buru's special bulk, although any set will require careful prediction. Zone doesn't have any way to eat multiple Boils/Surfs, though, if you have some other check to switch in when it comes in on Buru.

Zapdos and Voltlos all have no trouble getting in on Nattorei and can cause a lot of havoc, setting up or getting behind a sub and making life difficult. Neither of them likes Ice Beam, though, and Voltlos won't much like status, either.

Shibirudon, Rotom-H, and Electivire are similar to Zapdos and Voltlos, although they really can't switch into Burungeru multiple times and might not be able to outdamage its recovery, depending on the set. None of them like status, either.

Doryuuzu can set up on either Pokemon and go for a sweep, although it won't like eating a Power Whip/Boil Over/Surf/Ice Beam and thereby losing its Balloon and getting knocked into OHKO range for priority users.

This isn't a comprehensive threat list, just a list of some threats you'd want to consider when making the rest of your team. I thought I'd also mention that, while these both normally wall bulky waters beautifully, Slowbro/Slowking can run Fire Blast to punish Nattorei. It can't do much to Burungeru, even if it does run Thunderbolt, though.

I have noticed this duo, but they have never been an issue for me since they are destroyed by mix-tar.

Crunch+Flamethrower rock this duo.

I have noticed this duo, but they have never been an issue for me since they are destroyed by mix-tar.

Crunch+Flamethrower rock this duo.
You don't even need to be mixed; TTar gets Superpower. No TTar likes switching into Boil Over, either of Natto's attacks, or status, though.

You don't even need to be mixed; TTar gets Superpower. No TTar likes switching into Boil Over, either of Natto's attacks, or status, though.
Natt usually leech seeds or spikes on the switch instead of attacking in my experience. And if boil over doesnt burn its like a 3hko, so T-tar can crunch twice. I think if it crunches then gets burned, it can still ko with the second crunch.

The biggest threat that this combination facces is(other than Shandera..Shadow Tag is broken,what can you do about it?) is Blaziken.

As a stall breaker Blaziken is far,far scarier than the Monkey ever was..These guys just have HUGE trouble against Blaziken..I know Burungeru walls Blazikens STABs,but can he take +2 Adamant Life Orb Shadow Claws..?Swords Dancing isn't rare.Adamant is a little weird but it is possible.Life Orb is a gurantee.Shadow Claw is meh.So the odds of running into a SD Blaziken with Shadow Claw are not low at all, meaning Blaziken is a huge threat to these two..

Swords Dance aside, Blaziken can Baton Pass +1 speed to its partners almost by doing nothing.And Burungeru will be taking Stone Edges/Fire Blasts in every switch.And it will not stop Blaziken from doing his job..These guys really need a Blaziken counter, because they ARE set up fodder for Blaziken(i AM aware that Burungeru walls Blazikens stabs,but in reality does nothing to Blazikens strategy).

Natt usually leech seeds or spikes on the switch instead of attacking in my experience. And if boil over doesnt burn its like a 3hko, so T-tar can crunch twice. I think if it crunches then gets burned, it can still ko with the second crunch.
Countering a defensive Pokemon isn't like countering an offensive Pokemon; TTar can't switch into anything but Buru's secondary attack or Recover without getting worn down, and once you've shown that you're running mixed TTar all you can threaten the switch with is a hit. You're going to see Natt/Buru -> TTar switching into a Boil/dent/seed -> bulky water/fighting a lot, and it's just not an advantageous position.

So sure, mixed TTar is a check. If your opponent isn't back-to-the-wall or foolish enough to assume having a super-effective attack on a defensive Pokemon is enough to go toe-to-toe with TTar, that's all it is.

As a stall breaker Blaziken is far,far scarier than the Monkey ever was..These guys just have HUGE trouble against Blaziken..I know Burungeru walls Blazikens STABs,but can he take +2 Adamant Life Orb Shadow Claws..?Swords Dancing isn't rare.Adamant is a little weird but it is possible.Life Orb is a gurantee.Shadow Claw is meh.So the odds of running into a SD Blaziken with Shadow Claw are not low at all, meaning Blaziken is a huge threat to these two..

Swords Dance aside, Blaziken can Baton Pass +1 speed to its partners almost by doing nothing.And Burungeru will be taking Stone Edges/Fire Blasts in every switch.And it will not stop Blaziken from doing his job..These guys really need a Blaziken counter, because they ARE set up fodder for Blaziken(i AM aware that Burungeru walls Blazikens stabs,but in reality does nothing to Blazikens strategy).
Bulky grounds do well against Blaziken. And unless Blaziken is running Thunderpunch/Shadow Claw (both of which are kind of rare), Buru can switch into Blaziken and threaten a Boil that hits hard enough that Blaziken will only get one more attack after the LO recoil. +2 LO Adamant Stone Edge doesn't OHKO (it's not even that much more than Flare Blitz) and +0 LO Adamant Stone Edge doesn't outdamage Recover.

I'm also fairly certain that no Burungeru is ever going to fear taking Fire Blast from Blaziken. Just sayin'.

It's not an insurmountable challenge, especially since stall teams managed with the same threat from Infernape coming in on Forretress last gen.

I'd rather have Vaporeon than Burungeru as a wall. Vaporeon's defenses are slightly lower and doesn't have as many resistances, but it also has less weaknesses and its HP is sky-high. Also, Vaporeon's Sp. Atk Base is 110 compared to Burungeru's base 85, so it can strike back harder. Unless a Grass or Electric physical attack is used, Vaporeon is almost guaranteed to survive and will do massive damage against anything that doesn't resist a STAB Surf or Hydro Pump, that is, if some Sp Atk EVs are invested. Also, Vaporeon is better support with Wish. Toxic is always a good option to deal residual damage while Wishing, Protecting and getting Leftovers recovery.

No TTar likes switching into Boil Over, either of Natto's attacks, or status, though.
TyraniBoH is actually a very strong pokemon for dismantalling the Nattorei/Burungeru combo. With a negative speed nature, Nattorei cannot break T-Tar's Subs with Gyroball, and Tyranitar hits a 2HKO with Fireblast, while Burungeru is OHKOed after entry hazard damage with Crunch. Sure, Tyranitar is weak to both their attacks, but his Sp.Def in sand won't let Burungeru break it's subs. Burungeru outspeeds -Spe Tyranitar, so it has a 30% chance to win. Nattorei also hits a lot with Power whip, but Tyranitar will still 2HKO before Nattorei can, so Nattorei has to rely on a Fire Blast miss to win.

In my opinion, covering each other's weaknesses just isn't enough, pokemon carry many coverage moves specifically for killing pokemon like these two that would otherwise wall them completely. I think the novelty of these two will wear off eventually, as utility pokemon there are more useful pokemon to use, IMO. Forretress will always be greater than Nattorei, purely for his ability to lay all three entry hazards and rapid spin. Hardly anyone uses rapid spin currently, Tentacruel is about the only user I can think of still commonly being used, so Burungeru's utility as a spin blocker are limited.

TyraniBoH is actually a very strong pokemon for dismantalling the Nattorei/Burungeru combo. supporting math
Fair point.

Hardly anyone uses rapid spin currently, Tentacruel is about the only user I can think of still commonly being used, so Burungeru's utility as a spin blocker are limited.
Doryuuzu, too. Admittedly it doesn't always run Rapid Spin.

Tyranitar can (almost) safely swap into Boiling Water though, as it's something like a 4HKO because of the sand boost. Of course there's the risk of a burn, but if Tyranitar gets in, he can wreck the stall combo easily. Tyraniboah still works nicely for breaking this combo down.

Toxicroak wrecks them both too.
Sure it's not common, but both fear Taunt, Toxicroak can switch in on resisted grass and is immune to water, set up a sub, SD, and break the core.
Someone ("Persona 3" on Smogon PO server I think) brought this to my attention, and I think Toxicroak deserves a mention.
I'm glad someone remembers me. Yes, Toxicroak on a Rain team can wreck both, since Power Whip won't even 3HKO and you could easily out-stall it with Dry Skin until it misses. Toxicroak at +2 is a fearsome Pokemon.

I'm glad someone remembers me. Yes, Toxicroak on a Rain team can wreck both, since Power Whip won't even 3HKO and you could easily out-stall it with Dry Skin until it misses. Toxicroak at +2 is a fearsome Pokemon.
Looking at your RMT, you've actually convinced me that Toxicroak is good this gen. Dude looks amazing too, even if the Ground weakness hurts a bit.

I'm running a SD Birijion set and it destroys this combo. On the switch, use SD, and use Leaf Blade on Burunkeru and Close Combat on Nattorei. They both KO'd, with rocks up. Then my opponent ragequit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)