The Everything NFL Thread - 2010 Season

eh... i doubt they'll be letting him take too many shots down the field. I think they'll try to run the football and then take some checkdowns =/. Easy loss for the browns but ehhh

Did anyone else catch the "We want Carr" chants tonight? I was gladly going along with those chants tonight. Fuck Smith, he can't do shit unless pressured, and when he is pressured, he fumbles as well.
As a Panthers fan, I can tell you, you do NOT want David Carr.

Also as a Panthers fan, I haven't felt this way as a sports team since the Heat won 12 games.

Feels bad man

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I propose that the playoffs be cancelled this year, as it's apparent there is not a single "good" team in the league... except the Jets, pending tonight. Crown their ass.

And I want to see Troy Smith, fuck David Carr he's already had 800 chances to succeed and continues to be too mediocre for a starting role.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think that's a little exaggerated Mystery. The Ravens, Steelers, and Falcons I think are all solid teams. The Clots are still going to be contenders as well despite their defensive struggles, and the Jets are overrated.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Things like "leading to turning on the jets" is mostly complete nonsense, so even if it is factual, it is completely fucking stupidly irrelevant. Players already have sex, money, drugs, whatever to fire them up. Even if they did get "fired up", it would be short lived and barely affect anything.
On what basis in experience are you placing your opinion? I'm taking this straight from his teammate's mouth:

"After he got lit up on that play,'' guard Alan Faneca told me, "when he laid it on the line for us -- I mean, we were behind him before that anyway, but when he did that, we were going to lay it on the line for him the exact same way.''
I used different language as Faneca, but the only thing I take from his statement is: "After that hit, we played harder." Saying adrenaline and passion are "short-lived" and "barely affect anything" is just plain ignorant.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/10/11/Week5/index.html#ixzz126UmDIBG

Don't bet on the falcons quite yet.. the past few weeks they have been playin like the vikings. Speaking of the vikings... a sign of life?

On what basis in experience are you placing your opinion? I'm taking this straight from his teammate's mouth:

I used different language as Faneca, but the only thing I take from his statement is: "After that hit, we played harder." Saying adrenaline and passion are "short-lived" and "barely affect anything" is just plain ignorant.
Uh, yours is quite literally what I was just calling ignorant, yours is the knee-jerk illusion that people believe in because of...whatever you call it, a self-fulfilling prophecy (some better name but I do not care). Based on it sometimes correlating, people think they actually succeed because of getting fired up (while ignoring all the times it fucking terribly failed), but this is really base ignorance and something that any logical thinker can obviously realize is fallacious. Being a "finely tuned" athlete is what results in good plays, in winning, and some degree of chance. Some SINGLE emotion on some single play might also be part of that chance, but you cannot sustain emotion taken across a whole team taken across several plays. People try way too hard to impute their analysis onto a game rather than actually accepting what happened.

If you want an actual statistical explanation, then you could look at something like a study of "hotness" and how you are actually more likely to miss a basketball shot after making one (which goes against our feelings of "emotion" mattering), but I would not want to take away time from you finding ways to call me a fucking idiot despite you being so terribly, hickishly wrong.

As if I have not played sports (lol), but why the fuck would it matter if I had? Experience is irrelevant, we know more than enough about human psychology (thoughts of invincibility irrefutably lead to greater failure) or separately simple logic (people will ascribe success to hard work and emotion, ignore that hard work and emotion results in failure exactly as fucking often) dictates how wrong your belligerence was. I do not care how fucking wrong Alan Fanacea is, he is just buying into deluded human irrationality.

As a Panthers fan, I can tell you, you do NOT want David Carr.

Also as a Panthers fan, I haven't felt this way as a sports team since the Heat won 12 games.

Feels bad man
Well, from what I've read about Carr he's definitely no superstar either (though the Texan's questionable O-Line during his time there could raise a flag to some of his stats), but like I said, he can't do any WORSE than Smith right now.

Hopefully they'll look hard at the draft next year for a good QB. Or maybe even get Vick if he chooses not to rejoin the Eagles.

1-3 Cowboys vs. 1-3 Vikings next Sunday. Who would have thought that at the beginning of the season? Whoever loses that game can kiss their playoff hopes goodbye.

And the Packers are hurting. Aaron Rodgers might not play Sunday (concussion), and Jermichael Finley is out for at least a few weeks (knee).

So...Miles Austin, 4 games and 474 yards. 146, 142, 20, and 166 yard games. What a fucking freak. The Cowboys may suck but it is NOT because they placed their hopes in this guy! Making that "ridiculous" contract looking a lot less ridiculous too.

I guess it's possible, but I would think they would be way more worried about the other semi-decent team in the division (Bears for Packers fans and vice versa). The Vikings are trash and will probably finish 2-14 or 3-13 so I have no idea why someone would be happy/surprised that they lost last night. In other news:
It's not like you can't be worried about more than one team in the division. I am far more worried about the Packers than the Vikings but I certainly think the Vikings will still be contenders with the Favre2Moss connection. Thinking they'll finish anything close to 3-13 is a joke

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think 3-13 for the Vikings is a bit of an exaggeration. They have a solid defense and running game, and Favre can still function (albeit at a lower level than before). The guy threw 3 TDs and 1 INT last night so he can't be THAT bad, and he has a nice corps of receivers to throw to (Moss/Harvin/Rice/Stankhoe). The Vikings have been in every game so far, just haven't quite come out on top. What's really killing the Vikings is Childress. He's too meek to get any sort of respect or solidarity out of his players. He reminds me of Dick Jauron and Jim Zorn.

Minnesota still has tons of talent, and I believe they have a chance to finish at or around .500. If Favre gets his shit together they'll be much more formidable, and could once again make a playoff run. Don't count them out just yet because they are 1-3, still alot of football left to play.

I think 3-13 for the Vikings is a bit of an exaggeration. They have a solid defense and running game, and Favre can still function (albeit at a lower level than before). The guy threw 3 TDs and 1 INT last night so he can't be THAT bad, and he has a nice corps of receivers to throw to (Moss/Harvin/Rice/Stankhoe). The Vikings have been in every game so far, just haven't quite come out on top. What's really killing the Vikings is Childress. He's too meek to get any sort of respect or solidarity out of his players. He reminds me of Dick Jauron and Jim Zorn.

Minnesota still has tons of talent, and I believe they have a chance to finish at or around .500. If Favre gets his shit together they'll be much more formidable, and could once again make a playoff run. Don't count them out just yet because they are 1-3, still alot of football left to play.
Childress is definitely a major problem (there have been games where his woeful playcalling cost the Vikings the game), but the natural curse that comes with being a Minnesota sports team also drags the Vikings down. It might seem a little harsh, but honestly I can only see them beating the Lions and the Bills in their remaining games.

I really doubt the Vikings will finish sub .500, but they're definitely losing ground in the playoff race. They better hope the Packers or Bears collapse, because as it stands, it's unlikely they're getting a wild card spot unless they go on a mean winning streak fast.

I really doubt the Vikings will finish sub .500, but they're definitely losing ground in the playoff race. They better hope the Packers or Bears collapse, because as it stands, it's unlikely they're getting a wild card spot unless they go on a mean winning streak fast.
Exactly - the Vikings are relying on at least one of the teams ahead of them collapsing due to need for the Wild Card, but meanwhile the NFC East and South are winning over and over again. The Vikings need to start winning games if they want any chance of playoffs. Unfortunately for them ...
NFL Schedule said:
vs. Dallas
@ GB
@ NE

vs. Arizona
@ Chicago
vs. GB
@ Washington

vs. Buffalo
vs. NYG
vs. Chicago
@ Philly

vs. Detroit
Only 2 easy games for the rest of the season, and even then, Detroit are no pushovers this year. Stick a fork in the Vikings ... they're done.

Meanwhile, how about my Jets and no turnovers over the last 4 games. Going for the NFL record next week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)