My First OU Team!

Ok, so this is my very first pokemon team, turns out it is a monotype team. I am a huge fan of water types, so i decided to make one. I've tested this team in shoddy battle/pokemon lab, and it does fairly well. Here it is! Note: I prefer not to use legendaries.

Swampert @ Leftovers

Relaxed Nature, 240 HP/216 DEF/ 52SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roar

Swampert is an amazing lead IMO. Having a great typing, amazing def, and has access to stealth rock. Simple set, However biggest problem is Azelf's and other leads grass knot, energy ball, etc. His primary purpose is to set up stealth rock, get rid of whatever lead(if possible), and acts as my physical wall.

Gyrados @ Life orb

Adamant Nature, 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
~ Dragon Dance
~ Waterfall
~ Stone Edge
~ Bounce
Gyrados is one of my physical sweepers. Coming in on something that isn't to much of a threat, dragon dancing on the switch, if possible, dragon dancing 2 more times, and just sweeping away! I often get careless, forgetting that certain unlikely pokemon have great advatanges/electric moves. But Gyrados is one of my main sweepers.

Ludicolo @ Leftover

Calm Nature, 232 HP / 216 SpD / 60 Spe
Ability: Rain Dish
~ Substitute
~ Leech Seed
~ Surf
~ Rain Dance

Basic OU SubSeeder set. After setting up SubSeed combo, hopefully sub is still up, I use rain dish for even more hp healing. Along with leftovers, Ludicolo just heals up a good chunk each turn. I prefer surf over grass knot because everything that is weak to grass, is weak to water, along side the bonus from Rain Dance and STAB, surf does a great amount of dmg. A great special wall.

Lanturn @ Leftovers

Calm Nature, 40 HP / 216 Def / 252 SpD
Ability: VOLT ABSORB!
~ Confuse Ray
~ Thunder Wave
~ Thunderbolt
~ Ice Beam

I'm running the Parafusion set in Lanturn. I JUST LOVE IT! Lanturn acts as my 2nd Special Wall, but not the best. The other use I have for Lanturn, which is obvious, is my electric absorber, along side Swampert. Pretty much self explanatory use. Thunder waving, then confusing, switching out to something with an advantage or attacking with the BoltBeam combo. I chose Ice Beam over surf for the type coverage.

Empoleon@ Leftovers

Adamant Nature,252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
~ Swords Dance
~ Aqua Jet
~ Drill Peck
~ Earthquake

I'm running the Sword Dance Priority set. Basically, I throw in Empoleon against something that's weak to it, sword dance atleaset 2 times, and sweep away. Simple as that. Biggest problem is typings that resist my moves, aren't effect as much, or roar/whirlwind. Simple, yet deadly.

Kingdra @ Life Orb

Naughty Nature,252 Atk / 24 SpA / 232 Spe
~ Dragon Dance
~ Waterfall
~ Outrage
~ Ice Beam

I have the Dragon Dance Mixed Attacker set on Kingdra. Having a pretty decent atk and special atk, after a couple DD's, I sweep away! Often using outrage, less rain dance is still in play. If it is i usually use waterfall, and ice beam is main for diversity.

As i'm some what new to competitive battling(I've been battling, jsut not hard core), i only really know typing weakness/advantages. So i'll post typing advantages/weakness.

Electric: 4x(Gyrados),2x (Empoleon) Immune(Lanturn/Swampert)
Grass:4x(Swampert)2x(Lanturn)
Fighting: 2x(Empoleon)
Ground:2x(Empoleon)
Poison:2x(Ludicolo) Immune(Empoleon)
Flying: 2x(Ludicolo)
Bug: 2x(Ludicolo)
Dragon:2x(Kingdra)
Ground:2x(Lanturn) Immune(Gyrados)

Everything else is either 25%,50%, or Normal dmg.
Normal:6(1 50%, 5 Normal)
Fire: Dur....
Water: Dur again...
Ice: 6(1 25%, 1 50%, 4 Normal)
Fighting: 5(1 50%, 4 Normal)
Flying: 5(2 50%, 3 Normal)
Psychic: 5(1 50%, 4 Normal)
Bug 5:(2 50%, 3 Normal)
Ghost 6(1 50%, 5 Normal)
Dragon:5(1 50%, 4 Normal)
Dark: 6(1 50%, 5 Normal)
Steel: 6(2 25%, 4 50%)

There ya go, my very first OU team, and it's a Monotype team. My greatest threats are ,grass,ice, fighting, phsychic, ghost,dark, and roar as I do not counters/very good counters. And that's not very good as those typing that are quite common, and very versatile to. But somehow i've been able to over come most of them. Hope u enjoyed my water team. Feel free to critique and tell me any changes that i should make. :D

Sorry if I did some stuff incorrectly. Please forgive meh!

As a theme team it works well, but theme teams don't always work out in OU. Grass Knot in particular is a major threat to this team, most of them being heavy or Bulky Waters. You also have no real way of dealing with Fighting types outside of Bounce, which opens a path for Machamp to come in and sweep. Ghost, Psychic, Ice, and Dark can be handled by Empoleon, but once it's gone your team falls apart.

It's an interesting idea, but OU is too versatile for a type themed team to work very well. You're better off doing something similar in UU like a rain team, and change this team to have a F/W/G core with a GyaraJolt combo. It's a great popular setup that works well, and you'll have better success with it. Keep Swampert as a lead, too. It's too damn good of a lead to get rid of.

If you want a mono-type team based on waters to work well in OU, you will absolutely need some more Rain Dance support! I understand you want a mono-type team, so to keep it that way maybe you can run a LeadPert or LeadPenguin variant?

With Rain Dance Support, your team hits hard enough to the point where SR really isn't necessary. Perhaps you can replace Stealth Rock with Rain Dance. Or maybe you can just have your swampert tank, and run a modified Lead Empoleon.

@ Focus Sash / Damp Rock
Modest
172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe

- Hydro Pump
- Aqua Jet
- Rain Dance
- Grass Knot / Ice Beam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)