First Competitive Team

Hello, good people of the Smogon RMT forums! It may be a little late, but I've recently decided to enter the world of 4th Generation competitive battling. The first team I assembled was pretty bad. For every one win I got with it, five losses would follow. However, with a few modifications it now works to great effect. Edits will be in bold.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Iron Head
-Trick
-Stealth Rock
-Fire Punch

Jirachi is an excellent lead in most situations. Against most suicide leads, I use Iron Head to secure a quick 2HKO, then switch to whatever is appropriate to counter my opponent's replacement. For bulkier leads, I open with Trick, which usually cripples that Pokemon for the rest of the match, lay down Stealth Rocks on the switch, and switch out. I try to avoid having Jirachi eliminated at the start, as it functions well as a flincher later on in the match. Fire Punch allows my Jirachi to deal with Steel types later in the match, and is my main answer to SubPunch Breloom.

The lead that gives my Jirachi the most trouble are LeadApes. My main strategy is to switch to Gyarados, who has enough bulk to switch into and set up on any of LeadApe's atacks.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

Suggested by Aerrow to deal with enemy Metagross and Lucario, Gyarados represents a huge threat to my opponents. Its bulk and Intimidate allows it to come in on many physical attackers, set up, and proceed to do significant damage to the opponent's team. The bulky EV spread is to allow Gyarados to deal with LeadApe, who otherwise gives my team problems. Waterfall is for STAB and is more accurate than Aqua Tail, While QuakeEdge gives Gyara the best overall type coverage.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
188 HP / 252 Def / 68 SpD
-Wish
-Surf
-Hidden Power (Electric)
-Protect

Despite the abundance of Leftovers on my team, my Pokemon often find themselves in need of Wish support, and Vaporeon provides it. Its bulk allows it to switch in on nearly anything that isn't super-effective, where it uses Wish and Protect to regain any significant damage it may have taken, then passes a Wish to whomever needs it and can deal with the current threat. Surf gives Vaporeon a STAB move when it needs it, while HP Electric allows it to stand against opposing water types, especially Gyarados.

Due to my team becoming less and less bulky, Wish-passing is becoming extremely difficult, and I'm currently seeking a replacement for Vaporeon. I'm currently experimenting with Gengar, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-U-Turn
-Stone Edge

Originally a Life Orber, Aerrow has suggested to make Flygon a revenge killer, and it does its job very well. Its strategy is still the same as previous: come in on a resisted hit or after another member of my team falls, and let loose with the appropriate attack. U-Turn is always the first move I use with Flygon to see if my opponent has any counters for it. Outrage and Earthquake get STAB boosts and are Flygon's primary moves, while Stone Edge takes out Zapdos as long as it doesn't carry HP Ice.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
32 HP / 224 Spe / 252 SpA
-Calm Mind
-Energy Ball
-Psychic
-Hidden Power (Fire)

Celebi is my team's main answer to Vaporeon and CroCune, and thanks to Natural Cure, it can also function well as a status absorber. Unlike the rest of my team, which is set up to cover each others' failings, Celebi is set to sweep. Celebi comes in on a resisted hit, uses Calm Mind, and uses whichever of its three attacks is most appropriate. I chose to run Energy Ball over Grass Knot to deal with Vaporeon without taking the loss of SpA from Leaf Storm. Psychic provides an alternate STAB and creates surprisingly good coverage alongside Grass. Hidden Power Fire is to deal with Scizor, which can dispose of Celebi with Pursuit or U-Turn. Heatran gives this Celebi the most problems, but can't kill Celebi if it decided to switch.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
4 SpD / 252 Spe / 252 SpA
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Substitute
-Dragon Pulse

Heatran was originally a Choice Specs user, but with the recent changes to my team, I've found that a SubTran works better overall. With a Substitute to hide behind and no choice item to lock Heatran into one move, all the guesswork is removed from choosing which move to use. Fire Blast is the primary attack option, while Earth Power deals with enemy Heatran among others, and Dragon Pulse is my team's best bet against enemy Kingdra in the rain as long as I already have a sub up.

My team's current main weakness is Rain Dance Kingdra, which can outspeed and OHKO Flygon and Heatran, and there isn't much I can do to stop it if these two go down. Any suggestions on how to deal with this, as well as a replacement for Vaporeon, would be appreciated.

Great team and synergy, I just have one little suggestion for SpecsTran. Dragon Pulse isn't as necessary now that Salamence and Latias have been banned to Ubers, so Explosion is a better choice so as to take out Blissey/Snorlax. And even though Blissey is 2HKOed by FB after Flash Fire, it's extremely shaky on accuracy and the last thing you want is running out of PP for your STAB move. Flamethrower is a much safer and more reliable option than Fire Blast. Specs Explosion with your EV spread will OHKO Blissey (I think but I'm not 100% sure, if not then definitely after Stealth Rock damage) and Snorlax (I'm less positive on this one, but probably very likely after SR).

Great team, and have fun with it :D

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to experiment with Flamethrower, but I'll probably switch Dragon Pulse to Explosion, though a change in Nature will probably be needed to use it, due to the -Atk of Modest. Also, any ideas for whether I should switch my Jirachi to Fire Punch?

Not a bad team at all. I'm personally not completely sold on the effectiveness of a couple of your sets, but if they're working for you, feel free to keep them. The best results will come from extensive playtesting, so it's up to you to decide on the changes. However, I would like to suggest a replacement set for Rotom. The defensive variant tends to be better suited for more defensive teams, while your team is definitely offensive in nature. Furthermore, I can see that you may have some problems with physically-based Infernape sets, as well as DD Dragonite. For these reasons, I think that a Choice Scarf Rotom set would be a better fit for in this case. Here is the set:

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Ice
- Trick

Scarf Rotom tends to fit in very well on offensive teams, giving you a way to check a variety of opposing threats. Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball provide you with great neutral coverage, as well as a way to hit hard on bulky Waters and opposing Ghosts-types, respectively. HP Ice is somewhat unusual, but it's a good move to have around for revenge killing Dragonite. Rotom also makes for a good Infernape check, as it can switch into Close Combats and threaten to hit back with one of its powerful STAB moves. Trick rounds out the moveset and is just an overall great move for crippling stall and stat-uppers.

Good luck with your team!

@Faladran: Thanks for the idea. I'll be sure to try out that Rotom. Just one question though; is there a specific reason to choose Rotom-W over its other forms if I'm running HP Ice over the form's signature move? Is it to bluff Hydro Pump?Also, which sets are you unsure of? The sets I'm using do generally work, but if you have a better idea, I'm all ears.

@sithsniper17: After testing, I've decided that Fire Blast works better for me than Flamethrower, but I did decide to run Explosion over Dragon Pulse.

You're correct about the bluffing part. It really doesn't matter which Rotom form you use, but it helps to gain any possible advantage, and using the Wash form can sometimes at least deter Heatran and Tyranitar from switching in.

quick little suggestion specs heatran with overheat instead of fire blast destroys almost anything that switches in barring other heatran and kindra. blissey can be 2HKOed after a flash fire boost and stealth rock damage. it's sort of a hit-and-run strategy that you should try out. use the same EV's, nature, and other three moves if you wanna make the switch

I did consider Overheat before, but decided against it. Two consecutive Fire Blasts do more damage than two consecutive Overheats, and I want my Heatran to be able to stay in until a counter for him (or an enemy Heatran) shows up.

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is a very solid team. After the suggestions and recommendations provided by previous posters, there's not much left to say although there's still a couple of Pokemon which I think can give this team problems. Both agility / swords dance Lucario and agility Metagross can cause major dents in your team although the latter can be stopped by either Vaporeon or Rotom depending on whether it carries zen headbutt or thunderpunch. But unfortunately, Lucario is a bit more difficult to handle; on initial thought, it would make sense to slap a choice scarf onto Flygon to help check SD variants as Rotom will probably be your only line of defense, but even a thunderbolt from said Pokemon won't KO after stealth rock damage and two rounds of LO recoil, so I think it would be wise to make your current Flygon variant a choice scarf one, as it still can help with Zapdos while also becoming a potent scouter and secondary revenge killer. Moving on to agility Lucario, even Flygon can't help if it carries Ice Punch so I recommend changing Rotom to bulky dragon dance Gyarados.

[box]

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP/80 Atk/88 Def/184 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk,-SpAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Waterfall[/box]
With Flygon now being able to defeat a dragon dance Dragonite even after a dragon dance, which was Rotom's primary job, it seems alright if Rotom were to be replaced - dragon dance Gyarados, while being your only surefire way of dealing with agility Lucario (as well as agility Metagross which can also present a smaller threat to your team), also presents a great offensive threat to the foe's team as it can easily set up in front of said threat, retaliate and start to sweep, making it thus more easier for the remainder of your team to clean up and do their jobs and roles with much less effort as Gyarados will be punching major holes in the opponent's team, in most cases. I hope this rate helped, and good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)