Opinions on a SubPetaya set?

Agirudaa @ Petaya Berry

Ability: Unburden

Modest Nature 252 Sp Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def

~Substitute
~Bug Buzz
~Focus Blast
~Hidden Power Ground / Ice

Any opinions on this set on whether or not it will be viable in the upcoming metagame? After 3 Subs (or 2 with Stealth Rock) it gainst +1 Special Attack and +1 Speed, allowing for a potential sweep. It can only be revenged by priority as no other scarfer can match it's speed.
I would like to point out that unless Unburden changes in Gen V, it doubles speed. So instead of +1, it would be virtually be +2. However, Unburden uses a different mechanic for the boost, doubling speed after calculating speed boosts. So theretically speaking, you could have a +6 Spe. pokemon (x4) with the Unburden boost (x2) making it have godlike speed (x8). As such, unless you want to outspeed something fast in order to sub down to your Petaya boost, some speed EV's could be allocated to HP. (but his non-existent bulk makes my whole point kind of moot)

So, the cool thing about the Dream World is that you can upload any Pokemon on it and see a different artwork of it (probably the same pose as the Sugimori one, in the end). Agirudaa's:

Man… I love this guy even more now. Though I do believe he should've been our FIghting/Dark type, and Zuru a Dragon/Fighting, but the past is the past.

I'm surprised hardly anyone's mentioned Life Gamble. You can use Giga Drain (and possibly lefties) to boost your HP, then LG to take out any counters. You can also run U-Turn for scouting and being able to escape from Shanderaa.

If, somehow, Baton Pass and Guard Share aren't Illegal, I definitely see an decent set coming off this guy.

Agi@Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Spe/252 SpAtk
Nature: Rash|Mild(+SpAtk/-Def|SpDef)
Moves:
~ Guard Share
~ Baton Pass/U-turn
~ Bug Buzz
~ HP Water

Come in, and Guard Share when you take a hit. Focus Sash keeps you alive, and their defenses are SEVERELY lowered. Next turn, IF they don't have priority, you can either try to take them out, or Baton Pass away. If I'm thinking correctly, then you'll pass the Unburden boost to the next poke, but if you can't do that, then U-turn is the better option. This way you can scout for a switch, and if they don't you can bring in something powerful to deal with their newly weakened Pokemon. Shadow Tag Shandera loves this, btw. Bug Buzz is obligatory STAB, and HP Water hits Fires/Steels/Rocks. Notably, Heatran, Shandera, and Doryuzuu. You'll have trouble with Gyarados though.

If, somehow, Baton Pass and Guard Share aren't Illegal, I definitely see an decent set coming off this guy.

Agi@Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Spe/252 SpAtk
Nature: Rash|Mild(+SpAtk/-Def|SpDef)
Moves:
~ Guard Share
~ Baton Pass/U-turn
~ Bug Buzz
~ HP Water

Come in, and Guard Share when you take a hit. Focus Sash keeps you alive, and their defenses are SEVERELY lowered. Next turn, IF they don't have priority, you can either try to take them out, or Baton Pass away. If I'm thinking correctly, then you'll pass the Unburden boost to the next poke, but if you can't do that, then U-turn is the better option. This way you can scout for a switch, and if they don't you can bring in something powerful to deal with their newly weakened Pokemon. Shadow Tag Shandera loves this, btw. Bug Buzz is obligatory STAB, and HP Water hits Fires/Steels/Rocks. Notably, Heatran, Shandera, and Doryuzuu. You'll have trouble with Gyarados though.
I don't think this set will work. You can't Baton Pass the Unburden boost. Unburden is overkill on something as fast as Agirudaa, IMO. Agirudaa might be better off Baton Passing Substitutes, pinch berry boosts and Agility boosts.

I don't think this set will work. You can't Baton Pass the Unburden boost. Unburden is overkill on something as fast as Agirudaa, IMO. Agirudaa might be better off Baton Passing Substitutes, pinch berry boosts and Agility boosts.
Unburden + Focus Sash make him a good revenger, since no Choice Scarfer could outspeed him.

Ok, is this a viable way to get both encore and spikes or is there something I'm missing?:

Breed female Agirudaa with male Forretress that know spikes.
In return, you'll get Pre-evolution #1. (Has spikes)
Next, breed a female Agirudaa with a male Shuckle that knows encore.
In return, you get Pre-evolutoin #2. (Has encore)
Assuming each of your pre-evolutions are opposite genders, couldn't you just breed them to get an Agirudaa that knows both encore and spikes?

Ok, is this a viable way to get both encore and spikes or is there something I'm missing?:

Breed female Agirudaa with male Forretress that know spikes.
In return, you'll get Pre-evolution #1. (Has spikes)
Next, breed a female Agirudaa with a male Shuckle that knows encore.
In return, you get Pre-evolutoin #2. (Has encore)
Assuming each of your pre-evolutions are opposite genders, couldn't you just breed them to get an Agirudaa that knows both encore and spikes?
Egg Moves only pass down from father to son.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
no, because only the male passes down egg moves. If the male is the shuckle-bred one, then you get encore and not spikes, and vice verse

EDIT: ninja'd

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
After testing this thing out, while it never dies before being able to set up at least one to two layers of spikes, it just screams the need of Taunt and/or Encore, bad lead IMO, and outclassed by most leads.

EPIC FACEPALM!!

have you not noticed something, it has hydration so it can use rest effectively

This could be used on a rain dance team

Agirudaa @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk/252 Speed
Nature: Timid
(+Speed/-Atk)
Moves:
~ Rest
~ Bug Buzz
~ Energy Ball
~ HP Water / HP Electric / HP Ice

it can do decent damage with 299 SpAtk.

It's low defences AND life orb will lower it health bit by bit so 100% recovery is a good thing to have on a sweeper and unlike pokemon with natural cure, it does not need to switch out

I don't think Hydration/Rest is worthwhile on this guy. He only has 60/40/60 for defenses which are simply terrible. I just don't see how he is going to survive a hit or find time to rest without dieing.

Now hydration itself could be good on a rain team (immunity to status isn't terrible) but his role on that team would be as a lead to Dance, Spike, and die.

EPIC FACEPALM!!

have you not noticed something, it has hydration so it can use rest effectively

This could be used on a rain dance team

Agirudaa @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
Nature: Timid
(+Speed/-Atk)
Moves:
~ Rest
~ Bug Buzz
~ Energy Ball
~ HP Water / HP Electric / HP Ice

it can do decent damage with 299 SpAtk.

It's low defences AND life orb will lower it health bit by bit so 100% recovery is a good thing to have on a sweeper and unlike pokemon with natural cure, it does not need to switch out

If I had a pokemon with 60-40-60 defenses, I am definitely never going to take a turn to rest to heal the life orb damage. He pretty much would just get one shotted that turn anyways. Would be better off using Giga Drain instead of Energy Ball for healing the life orb damage.

Also, I am slightly confused... Everyone who comes up with these sets that run Focus Sash AND Guard Share... Isn't that a little redundant? I mean, if you are planning on coming in on a bulky wall and using Guard Share, you are most likely not gonna get one shotted...

If I had a pokemon with 60-40-60 defenses, I am definitely never going to take a turn to rest to heal the life orb damage. He pretty much would just get one shotted that turn anyways. Would be better off using Giga Drain instead of Energy Ball for healing the life orb damage.

Also, I am slightly confused... Everyone who comes up with these sets that run Focus Sash AND Guard Share... Isn't that a little redundant? I mean, if you are planning on coming in on a bulky wall and using Guard Share, you are most likely not gonna get one shotted...
LO + Giga Drain seems the way to go, especially since it's only 5 BP lower in the 5th Gen.

Agirudaa @ Choice Specs/Life Orb
Ability: Sticky Hold/Hydration (in a Rain team)
Nature: Timid/Modest
(+Speed/-Atk)/(+Sp. Atk/- Atk)
Moves:
~ Focus Blast
~ Bug Buzz
~ Energy Ball/Giga Drain
~ HP Ice/HP Water

Standard Choice set. If you use him in a Rain team, opt for Hydration and HP Water, since it will give you a pseudo STAB, although HP Ice has better coverage. If you decide for Life Orb over Specs, choose Giga Drain over Energy Ball to recover LO damage.

Timid nature is preferred, since it lets you outspeed Scarftran, Agiligross and DD Kingdra. However, Modest gives his 100 BS a needed boost.

He can be a good spiker, with 145 base speed stat, he outspeeds eveything in OU. The suicide lead set seems good, but i don't see the use of U-Turn because Agirudaa usually dies fast, so Protect is a good option there, to avoid Fake Out. Speaking about Fake Out, how about Energy Ball > Giga Drain?
YOu know giga drain has 75 base power now. Healing for almost no damage? Yes please.

That lead shouldn't be spiking and bping at the same time.

Without Spikes, Ninjask and Blaziken do a better job at bping.

NINJASK.

You can tell it's a bad set already. :/

Energy Ball > Giga Drain
YOu know giga drain has 75 base power now. Healing for almost no damage? Yes please.
I'm pretty sure he meant that Giga Drain traded healing for five less bp, "almost no damage".

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How viable is Yawn? I've been testing it out on PO, and it's pretty good at limiting bulky leads like Nattorei to just Stealth Rock, which is useful for a team with no spinner.

EDIT: Also, is 252 speed necessary? I've been thinking of 140 speed, to outspeed max 130s, but with max speed, it ties with scarf Shanderaa and other random scarfers, which could be useful.

Quick question... because this has been bugging me. A lot. What the heck is his design based off of? I mean, he just looks like some sort of face... with a mask... How is he supposed to be a bug? If anything, he kind of looks like some sort of cocoon. And if he IS a cocoon... why is he so fast?

As for running yawn, personally I wouldn't just for the mere fact that I feel it only works on him if hes an anti lead against a bulky lead. And as the game progresses, yawn won't do much for you... ie: you send him in, you yawn and the enemy ohko's you in that same turn.

Unless you are able to some how force a switch on the enemy and surprise them with a yawn, then I really don't see it having any use rather than stopping a bulky lead from setting up... although that is STILL a really good thing going for it.

Quick question... because this has been bugging me. A lot. What the heck is his design based off of? I mean, he just looks like some sort of face... with a mask... How is he supposed to be a bug? If anything, he kind of looks like some sort of cocoon. And if he IS a cocoon... why is he so fast?

As for running yawn, personally I wouldn't just for the mere fact that I feel it only works on him if hes an anti lead against a bulky lead. And as the game progresses, yawn won't do much for you... ie: you send him in, you yawn and the enemy ohko's you in that same turn.

Unless you are able to some how force a switch on the enemy and surprise them with a yawn, then I really don't see it having any use rather than stopping a bulky lead from setting up... although that is STILL a really good thing going for it.
Why, he's a snail-ninja.

Yup.

I really havent have had the greatest of luck using him. I usally use him as a lead spiker or a second lead to spike up 2x after my main lead does rocks. But other then .that he dies way to easily/

This guy's backstory is fun

Well his pre-evo is this thing named Chobomaki:
It's kind of a giant tube worm crossed with a snail . He only evolves if you trade it with
This Guy named Kaburumo:
Actually, both of these guys only evolve when you trade them together.
If you trade them, Kaburumo evolves into this:

But wait! Is that Chobo's shell?! During the trading process, that little bugger Kaburu stole Chobo's armor! But, that also means, that without a heavy shell, the snail should be pretty fast, lets see what he evolves into:

So basically, according to Gamefreak: Snail minus shell = Ninja!

Anyway, let's get back on topic:
I think people are under-estimating the fact that he has Sticky Hold. It makes the ninja worm immune to Trick, a fairly common strategy on Lead 'Mon. Also it was recently revealed that Weavile's new ability, Wicked Thief, activates right after it uses it's item. So after Lead Weavile uses up a Focus Sash, it has a good chance of stealing another Lead's item. But Agirudaa can wipe out the ice weasel with 2 Bug Buzzes, without worrying about the chance it might get it's item stolen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)