Accelgor

I'm pretty sure he meant that Giga Drain traded healing for five less bp, "almost no damage".
Oh, I get it. Thanks.
Quick question... because this has been bugging me. A lot. What the heck is his design based off of? I mean, he just looks like some sort of face... with a mask... How is he supposed to be a bug? If anything, he kind of looks like some sort of cocoon. And if he IS a cocoon... why is he so fast?
Like I said in an other post:
"He's a clam that got his shell stolen by some asshole beetle and decided to master the Way of The Ninja to get his revenge."

Agirudaa shouldn't run BP sets, since he's outclassed by Speed Boost BPers and he doesn't get Swords Dance or Nasty Plot to pass.

Can anyone tell me if a Specs set is good for him? I posted one on the last page.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
@above

I don't see the use for a Specs Set. Its SR weak for one and its STAB is a commonly resisted type. Personally I would run LO over Specs every time since then you have the flexibility to use recover.

I cannot stress how much I love this little guy's design...Anyway, on the competitive side of things, the best set imo is the late game cleaner w/ life orb.

Wow. I didn't realize that he had to be traded to get that evolution, but now that I see that whole connection with the other steel bug my mind is kind of blown. Just a little bit blown.

I wouldn't run specs, personally. If I were going to put on any damaging increase items on him, it would probably be life orb. I MIGHT run recover, but I highly doubt it. I would be afraid if I ran recover, he would get hit that turn and killed. Better off just sweeping as much as you can with him, and use him to clean up late game.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
How viable is Yawn? I've been testing it out on PO, and it's pretty good at limiting bulky leads like Nattorei to just Stealth Rock, which is useful for a team with no spinner.
Yawn is great, and should be a staple on the lead set. Due to his lack of Taunt, it helps him prevent set ups while forcing switches and racking up more Spikes. You can lay more Spikes or use U-turn to counter the switch in.

On the topic of creative sets: I'd honestly never use Agirudaa for anything but as a Spiker lead, which he does extremely well in (so he'd be kindof useless if Deoxys-S is around, but meh)

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Considering it's not really doing much with other moves, I thought Yawn would work pretty well on a suicide lead set, considering it's not going to come back out anyway. I don''t like having Spikes on my side, so it helps a lot against Nattorei specifically. But otherwise, I can't think of a good reason to have it.

As for the design, considering its high speed and Hydration, it may be an adaptation of a water skater or some other bug that runs on water.

EDIT: As for the Deo-S vs. Agirudaa problem, although Deo-S outclasses it in almost every way, Agirudaa does get U-turn, which means it can do okay damage while switching out and also scout for switches. But considering that it is a suicide lead, it's not too useful.

EDIT2: And Sticky Hold.

I have been trying out a lead set for the last little while, and have found great success with it.

Agirudaa@Focus Sash
Sticky Hold, Timid
252 Hp, 136 Spe, 120 SpA
-Spikes
-Encore
-Bug Buzz
-Protect/U-turn

I used to have Giga Drain in place of Protect, but i never really did much with it. So, i switched it to protect for vs Infernape or other Fake Out Leads. the closest to a problem ive had is Aero taunting, so i only get one layer up sometimes. However, this can be solved by adding in U-turn. Encore is great against screeners, as well as slower leads setting up SR, as if they set it up once, it wont do anything the second time. 136 Spe to outspeed Aero and Crobat, 252 Hp so it may be able to switch in and Encore later, and the rest put in SpA to back up the Bug Buzz.

Enjoy :)

I have been trying out a lead set for the last little while, and have found great success with it.

Agirudaa@Focus Sash
Sticky Hold, Timid
252 Hp, 136 Spe, 120 SpA
-Spikes
-Encore
-Bug Buzz
-Protect/U-turn

I used to have Giga Drain in place of Protect, but i never really did much with it. So, i switched it to protect for vs Infernape or other Fake Out Leads. the closest to a problem ive had is Aero taunting, so i only get one layer up sometimes. However, this can be solved by adding in U-turn. Encore is great against screeners, as well as slower leads setting up SR, as if they set it up once, it wont do anything the second time. 136 Spe to outspeed Aero and Crobat, 252 Hp so it may be able to switch in and Encore later, and the rest put in SpA to back up the Bug Buzz.

Enjoy :)
How the hell do you use both encore and spikes on the same set? Unless i'm missing something they come from two different parents and, for that reason, are illegal together.
Or is it a glicth in the battle simulator?

Just like you lot to know that Egg moves + DW ability can be used together, all it requires is a female parent with a DW ability as a parent, and it will have a high chance of passing to the baby.

Except for Genderless Pokemon, they can't pass DW abilities at all, and have no egg moves anyways (duh).

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Yes, but the problem is that the set uses two egg moves incompatible with one another; they come from two different pokemon. If there was another pokemon in Agirudaa's egg group with both spikes and encore, then it might have those two moves, but as there is no such pokemon, Spikes and Encore can not be used on the same set.

It may just be me, but I like having Death Gambit on my Agirudaa. It's like Explosion to me. It's for that "oh shit" moment that we all have sometimes. Of course, I only have it on him as a lead, so I don't have to worry about getting hit by entry hazards.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Because I like to run Yawn and U-turn along with Spikes, I tend to run Focus Blast along with enough SpA EVs to OHKO max/min TTar. I've seen quite a few (I don't know why...), and thought it could be useful. Considering that Focus Blast, Swagger, and Death Gambit (Life Gambit?) are its only really useful options in my fourth slot, Death Gambit seems like a perfectly reasonable option to me, if you invest enough in HP.

Yes, but the problem is that the set uses two egg moves incompatible with one another; they come from two different pokemon. If there was another pokemon in Agirudaa's egg group with both spikes and encore, then it might have those two moves, but as there is no such pokemon, Spikes and Encore can not be used on the same set.
yes, i know that. but I am talking about DW abilities with egg moves, not Spikes + Encore.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Sorry; I thought you were referring to the egg moves, as a couple recent posts were about that. So yes, one could conceivably use Unburden, although it seems kind of pointless with 145 base speed...

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Unburden isn't that useless with Volbeat. It allows it to use a + SpA nature after receiving a tail glow boost and bug buzz with bug jewell can take something out with + 3 and STAB, and then you have 2 other coverage moves.

I've decided to try a Suicide Spiker set with a little something I like to call Yawn.

Timid / Focus Sash / Sticky Hold
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Sash
- Spikes
- Yawn
4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Speed

It gets Yawn as a Chobomaki, so yeah. I just thought it'd be useful against Stealth Rock leads, Yawning at them while they Rock it up and Spiking while they switch or attack. If they attack, a second layer of Spikes is practically guaranteed.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
IMO, Focus Blast > Bug Buzz, because with full SpA investment, it will always OHKO TTar, which otherwise would limit Agirudaa to only a single layer of spikes. Unless you meant Focus Blast instead of Focus Sash? Whatever you meant, I think U-turn is better than Bug Buzz, even without any investment in Attack (although I use a bit), because of its scouting utility, while Bug Buzz does nothing to complement its lead offense alongside Focus Blast. If you really hate 70% accuracy (I do too) enough to not use it and can deal with losing to TTar (which is more important than it sounds; I've seen quite a few as leads), then Bug Buzz is an option, but I think that overall, Focus Blast is the better move.

@SharKing Focus Sash isn't a move. o: Do you mean Focus Blast?

Anyways, my Agirudaa lead is a little something like this:

Agirudaa @ Bug jewel
252 HP/4 SpA/252 Spe
Timid
Unburden
~ Bug Buzz
~ U-turn
~ Death Gambit/Life Gamble (same move, different names)
~ Spikes

Rarely do I ever get even a single layer of Spikes up, taking out the opponents' lead is pretty good for me. It fails to things that have more than 364 HP, which is probably more than you would think. For leads that rely on Speed Boost, after Unburden, Agirudaa reaches 854 speed, which is faster than a Ninjask with 252 Spe/Jolly nature. I love my Agirudaa lead, 'cause normally, it'd take out at LEAST one Poke.

Whats the point of running 252 evs in HP with focus sash? Focus sash only works when you are at full hp anyways, and chances are Agirudaa isn't going to be surviving more than one hit. Wouldn't it be better to run more in SP.ATK over the HP so that his other moves that were listed would at least do as much damage as possible?

Also I don't see the point in running timid. I would rather run another + speed nature that doesn't lower ATK, because all that is doing is making U-turn less effective. I would rather maximize my damage output, but that is just me... Of coarse these points only apply to the focus sash lead set.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (seriously, I'm posting this for further discussion) but in 2v2 or even 3v3 battles could this poke be usable as a bulky sweeper? Think about it:
(Paired with a Shuckle)
Agirudaa - Focus Sash/Leftovers/Life Orb/Berry of Choice
Unburden/Sticky Hold
Modest
EVs: 252 Sp.Att / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Guard Swap
Bug Buzz
Energy Ball/Giga Drain
Focus Blast

Now, please realize that this is rough, but could this work? Assuming Protect doesn't stop Guard Swap (and assuming that switching Shuckle out resets its stats back to normal) you could have Shuckle use Protect on Turn 1 with Agirudaa using Guard Swap to snag those sweet defenses shedding its frailty. Energy Ball is only 5 more BP higher than Giga Drain and GD has some recovery to its favor.

Switch out Shuckle on Turn 2 and bring in something that covers its weaknesses and let Agirudaa do its thing. You could probably put some/most/all of the Speed EVs into HP given this bug's massive speed.

So I ask again: could this work?

The move you're talking about is Guard Share, not Guard Swap.
Guard Share is not (!) blocked by Protect (bulbapedia, if you're wrong, I'm coming for you), so your tactic might work; the problem with using it is that in doubles / triples, you have to able to take an assault from 2 or 3 sweepers, which Agirudaa can not accomplish even with Shuckle-like defenses.

Edit: lulz, this thing gets Guard Share as an Egg move from... Shuckle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)