Conkeldurr

Even without a Sub, Focus Punch works well on Roobushin. Helps nab those set-up sweepers who think it is safe to set up on this. Guts makes it a sort of status absorber(not sleep obviously), as a Mach Punch will definitely hurt.

Overall, this thing is a beast. Add this to the fact you cant deduce what set it is off the bat. One of my fav. Pokemon this gen.

Guts makes it ok to switch into Erufuun. Although he'd prefer to be burned most likely he's so slow anyway and he still has Mach Punch.

With leftovers and Spd EVs and Bulk Up this thing really has longevity. I can usually afford to get 2-3 Bulk Ups honestly and Drain Punch keeps me in the game longer. Great longevity and terrific priority.

Ive been messing with this Rohpushin set the last two days and so far its worked great. I miss out on coverage but at the moment priority is more important for my team. Stone Edge exists for the purpose of hitting Pokemon who resist Drain Punch.

Roobushin (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up

Ive been messing with this Rohpushin set the last two days and so far its worked great. I miss out on coverage but at the moment priority is more important for my team. Stone Edge exists for the purpose of hitting Pokemon who resist Drain Punch.

Roobushin (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up
Since this set uses 2 punching moves (Drain Punch and Mach Punch), Iron Fist would be a better option over Guts. Payback is also an option if you want to hit Ghosts/Psychics, but Stone Edge is good for taking out Fliers as well.

Since this set uses 2 punching moves (Drain Punch and Mach Punch), Iron Fist would be a better option over Guts. Payback is also an option if you want to hit Ghosts/Psychics, but Stone Edge is good for taking out Fliers as well.
Depends on wat u prefer. Iron Fist means tht u r crippled by burns and i would assume a guts boosted punch hits harder than an iron fist punch.

No way, having a status absorber is invaluable. You can safely switch into any status with it and benefit with choice band power. It's beyond useful and Roopushin is still totally formidable even without the Iron Fist boost. It's more of a safety measure.

No way, having a status absorber is invaluable. You can safely switch into any status with it and benefit with choice band power. It's beyond useful and Roopushin is still totally formidable even without the Iron Fist boost. It's more of a safety measure.
Ah. Iron Fist still has its uses, though.

I can't help but think about this: which is stronger, an Iron Fist boosted Focus Punch (coming from base 140 Attack) or a Focus Punch backed up by Roopushin's Guts-boosted 140 Attack?

Yeah I've noticed that there's a lot more statuses flying around in V, even that Grass/Steel can paralyze you and that Water/Ghost can burn you, Guts is invaluable for him.

It has been helping me a lot. People take the turn to switch pokemon just to WoW me. This gives me two turns to Bulk Up and they freely give me the Guts boost too. Sweeping with Mach Punch afterwards is a breeze. Either other people don't know Roopushin gets Guts or they think I'm using Iron Fist. They usually ragequit after being OHKO from something they thought they crippled with a burn.

Well both have their pro's and cons.
Guts is somewhat situational as u'l not have the boost on many occasions while Iron fist even if it is weaker is constant.The main reason i go with Iron fist as it has a good chance to Ohk0 Dory with Mach punch.Guts is pretty much always better after the status however.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The only thing this pokemon has going for it is Mach Punch. If you *desperately* need fighting priority, then this may be the Pokemon for you. Otherwise...

Bulk Up? I'd rather use Machamp.
Guts? I'd rather use Machamp. Or Heracross, or Hariyama.
Taunt? I thought you were supposed to be attacking. What is this for?
Focus Punch? Heracross, Tyranitar, Darkrai, Breloom, heck I'd rather use SubPunch Lucario over this.

This pokemon doesn't even learn Close Combat, and even if it did it would be too slow to make any use of it. Having a good priority move doesn't make you OU like it did in DPP. I don't see much future for Roobushin (or w/e its name is) in the long run.

The only thing this pokemon has going for it is Mach Punch. If you *desperately* need fighting priority, then this may be the Pokemon for you. Otherwise...
And a damn useful one at that.
Bulk Up? I'd rather use Machamp.
It has generally better bulk then Machamp.It also has Drain punch which gives it good survivability without using some bullshit like Restalk.
Guts? I'd rather use Machamp. Or Heracross, or Hariyama.
What i said before for Machamp.Heracross has bad deffensive typing and again makes a horrible Bulk up user without resorting to "some bullshit like restalk",Hariyama is just out of the question actually.Its practily the same damn thing but weaker.
Taunt? I thought you were supposed to be attacking. What is this for?
No one actually uses Taunt.We are supposed to be attacking.It is for theorymoning and then not ever using it.
Focus Punch? Heracross, Tyranitar, Darkrai, Breloom, heck I'd rather use SubPunch Lucario over this.
.Subpunch Lucario dsn't have Robu's Bulk or Power.Tyranitar is simply a completely differant Poke and shudn't be compared to Robu actually.Breloom is also quite differant it takes much more of a "fast frailer" route.Darkrai im not so sure about i never liked ubers much so never tested that.But im pretty sure that shit is going ubers.
This pokemon doesn't even learn Close Combat, and even if it did it would be too slow to make any use of it. Having a good priority move doesn't make you OU like it did in DPP. I don't see much future for Roobushin (or w/e its name is) in the long run.
What?Why would it even want Close combat?Close combat tends to be one fast frailer abusers who aren't even ment to take hits.Why dsn't Guts Machamp use Close combat?Because it wants to take hits better.No one would even actually use Close combat on him bar some stuff like CB.And if you wanted power Hammer arm is a good option.But as tanking is his "ideal" role i would go with Drain punch.And yes having a good prioirty does get out to OU.No one would acually use stuff like Robushin,Breloom,Azumarill(?) this much without their powerful prioirty.And how do you even know whats going to be better in the "long run"
Replies in bold.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
^Dude you need to learn how to multiquote.

It has generally better bulk then Machamp.It also has Drain punch which gives it good survivability without using some bullshit like Restalk.
Drain Punch isn't that great. Congrats, you went from 25% to 50%. I'm still going to KO you with a special attacker on my next switchin, or at worst force you out with something that resists Fighting. Give me No Guard, DynamicPunch and Stone Edge please.

Heracross has bad deffensive typing and again makes a horrible Bulk up without resorting to "some bullshit like restalk",Hariyama is just out of the question actually.Its practily the same damn thing but weaker.
Heracross has much better typing than Roobushin. It resists Fighting, Grass, and Ground and Roobushin does not. And that's not even including STAB Megahorn to scare off Psychics or its better base Speed, or its access to Swords Dance. I'd trade that for a Fire weakness any day, considering that Roobushin doesn't scare away most Fire types in OU.

No one actually uses Taunt.
I know that, but it's in the OP...

Why would it even want Close combat?
Because it is by far the best Fighting move in the game.

Why dsn't Guts Machamp use Close combat?Because it wants to take hits better.
No, it's because Machamp uses No Guard and DynamicPunch instead.

And how do you even know whats going to be better in the "long run"
Because I have been playing competitively for weeks and there are too many Pokemon with good defensive stats and typing around for priority to work as well as it did in DPP. Pokemon can take hits in BW, which means that priority is exclusively for picking off weak enemies, or by boosting first. Roobushin doesn't have any good boosting moves, so that's off the table. I'm just talking from experience here, this mon does not pack as much punch as people here assume from its base stats.

Drain Punch isn't that great. Congrats, you went from 25% to 50%. I'm still going to KO you with a special attacker on my next switchin, or at worst force you out with something that resists Fighting. Give me No Guard, DynamicPunch and Stone Edge please.
+1 Drain Punch does 52.4% - 62.1% to 252/152+ Hippowdon, meaning you get back 110-130 HP back. You can easily set up Bulk Ups on Hippowdon, and if special attackers come in you have Mach Punch or Payback (most can't OHKO, barring STAB Draco Meteor). This guy is definitely better at utilizing Bulk Up.

Heracross has much better typing than Roobushin. It resists Fighting, Grass, and Ground and Roobushin does not. And that's not even including STAB Megahorn to scare off Psychics or its better base Speed, or its access to Swords Dance. I'd trade that for a Fire weakness any day, considering that Roobushin doesn't scare away most Fire types in OU.
It has STAB Mach Punch to scare Fire-types away. Heatran? Infernape? Neither one will enjoy a +1 Iron Fist Mach Punch.

Because I have been playing competitively for weeks and there are too many Pokemon with good defensive stats and typing around for priority to work as well as it did in DPP. Pokemon can take hits in BW, which means that priority is exclusively for picking off weak enemies, or by boosting first. Roobushin doesn't have any good boosting moves, so that's off the table. I'm just talking from experience here, this mon does not pack as much punch as people here assume from its base stats.
Ironically, it's from experience that I know how useful this guy is. Bulk Up is a great boosting move for something like Roobushin, who has a powered up Drain Punch to heal off damage. It's really the perfect combination, actually. Mach Punch is incredibly useful, as well.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
+1 Drain Punch does 52.4% - 62.1% to 252/152+ Hippowdon, meaning you get back 110-130 HP back. You can easily set up Bulk Ups on Hippowdon, and if special attackers come in you have Mach Punch or Payback (most can't OHKO, barring STAB Draco Meteor). This guy is definitely better at utilizing Bulk Up.
Yeah and how much damage do you get while setting up? He gets to put up SR, Roar you away and then Slack Off later. Or he can just keep EQing you since you don't have any healing. Hippowdon is not scared of Roobushin at all. Go ahead and use a subpar Fighting-type attack on me instead of something like Hammer Arm, the rest of my team would love that.

Everyone here is acting like Drain Punch is this magic attack that makes it invincible, when in reality it has low base power and will almost always hit last due to this guy's terrible Speed. It is not a reliable attack.

It has STAB Mach Punch to scare Fire-types away. Heatran? Infernape? Neither one will enjoy a +1 Iron Fist Mach Punch.
Heatran, sure. Infernape might be hurt badly by priority but it probably won't be OHKOd (never actually tested this so idk). Other than that, Shanderaa? Hihi? Victini? Ulgamoth? Charizard? Most Fire-types aren't scared of this guy, so that one added weakness of Heracross' isn't going to make any difference.

Ironically, it's from experience that I know how useful this guy is. Bulk Up is a great boosting move for something like Roobushin, who has a powered up Drain Punch to heal off damage. It's really the perfect combination, actually. Mach Punch is incredibly useful, as well.
You can have your Bulk Up, I would much rather use Swords Dance or a Choice Band Close Combat from something else.

You're criticizing Roopushin for trying to be something he shouldn't. Roopushin isn't a fast sweeper, it's a bulky tank.

I can tell you from experience it works well, it's one of my best pokes. How you're supposed to play him is bring him into something he scares, then Bulk Up. With my EV spread, putting many into HP and SpD, I can take anything outside of STAB Psychic attacks and Draco Meteors. Usually they bring in something like Burungeru or Desukan. Because they can't OHKO me, they try to burn me, so I take the Guts boost and either Bulk Up again or just kill them with a +1 Guts activated Stone Edge. Afterwards anything that won't die from one Mach Punch will die from two and anything that can't kill me immediately will take a Drain Punch and I stay in the game longer.

Roopushin doesn't want Close Combat because the defense drops would be horrible for it. If you want raw power than go with Subpunching. Iron Fist STAB Focus Punch is nothing to laugh at.

And Infernape is killed from +1 Mach Punch, certainly after Stealth Rock. All the other Fire pokemon take Stone Edge. Hell, mine can even survive a scarfed Shanderaa's Overheat! Just barely, but it his always killed by Stone Edge as long as you don't miss.

N00b Lyf3 Learned Multi Quote.

Drain punch isn't all that great i understand that.But its arguably one of the best moves for tanks like Robu.And just saying ul die to a special attack when your at 25% health is just silly.Dynamic Punch is ofc always good due to its brokeness...There's also the added fact you have to "waste" your ability for it as well.And i sure as hell am not going to use Close combat with Bulk up so the Dynamic Punch is your only argument which is about the only thing Machamp has over Robu.
Yah being weak to the most used pokemon never hurts.There's also 500 thousand Shaymin S's running around (Saying its not common in the bottom of the ladder is kind of pointless really >_>).It sits at a quite useless speed tier really..Id just go use something that'd get outsped and take the hit.Cross is somewhat fragile to make a slow bulky sweeper and too slow for being a fast frailer one.But thats just my oppinion on heracross >_>.And you really dont "scare off phychick types (I fucking know i spelled it wrong and i dont care)" as they'd just Ohk0 you anyway.

Because it is by far the best Fighting move in the game.
So just because very few Water types learn Water sprout there suddenly bad?Close combat is simply horrible for Robu.....Dynamic Punch+No guard would always be great and then it would pretty much 100% Outclass machamp but heh...

No, it's because Machamp uses No Guard and DynamicPunch instead.
What im trying to say is Close combat is plain bad on Bulky stuff that want to take a hit.You loose your bulk and you probably dont have a lot of speed as well so if you want to abuse Close Combat Stuff like Nape,Luke are always better.

Well i just think differant i suppose >_>.

Yeah and how much damage do you get while setting up? He gets to put up SR, Roar you away and then Slack Off later. Or he can just keep EQing you since you don't have any healing. Hippowdon is not scared of Roobushin at all. Go ahead and use a subpar Fighting-type attack on me instead of something like Hammer Arm, the rest of my team would love that.
Well what he ment was you can easily come out on top aginst many pokes unharmed as they dont do enough dammage to you and you heal it off.And yes Hippowdon is.It can never win aginst Robu 1 on 1.Hammer arm is just plain bad really.Have you actually tested Drain punch?Because i seriusly get the feeling you havn't.

Everyone here is acting like Drain Punch is this magic attack that makes it invincible, when in reality it has low base power and will almost always hit last due to this guy's terrible Speed. It is not a reliable attack.
No one is acting like Drain punch is the magic attack.Its a good attack and works pretty well as he dsn't get something like Dynamic Punch.How is going last really mattering at all?Tyranitar goes last "Almost all the time" but he's used extensively (Il go fucking make a ScarfRobu if anyone says Scarftar >_>).Its a reliable Stab actually.How is Dynamic Punch in any way more "reliable".

Heatran, sure. Infernape might be hurt badly by priority but it probably won't be OHKOd (never actually tested this so idk). Other than that, Shanderaa? Hihi? Victini? Ulgamoth? Charizard? Most Fire-types aren't scared of this guy, so that one added weakness of Heracross' isn't going to make any difference.
I have no complaints here.But no fucking fighting type beats Shandera >_>..

mien

Tournament Banned
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You're criticizing Roopushin for trying to be something he shouldn't. Roopushin isn't a fast sweeper, it's a bulky tank.
He never used the words fast sweeper.
The 'bulky tank' concept, a pokemon with terrible speed that uses bulkiness and massive power to attack, died during generation IV(Swampert and Metagross were SR leads not tanks). The only exception was Machamp with it's broken Dynamicpunch/ No guard combo. With the addition of more extremely powerfull fast sweepers these kind of pokemon sets will become even more rare.

As such unless Roopushin brings something unique on the table, i doubt it will see much use after the experimental period ends. It's not 'bad' by any means however it will struggle to find a place on a competitive team.

And Infernape is killed from +1 Mach Punch, certainly after Stealth Rock
Max attack Adamant Iron Fist Roopushin after one Bulk up using Mach Punch does 61.8- 72.9% damage to standard Infernape according to my calculations. Please do not make such assumptions before doing any research.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
We're ignoring the main advantage of Roobushin over Machamp or other Fighting-types, and that's Mach Punch. Roo can check Doryuuzu - probably the #1 threat in the metagame - pretty effectively with it, and it can also use it to run through weakened teams. Bulk Up Machamp is only going to get one kill, whereas Roo can get that kill and do damage to whatever revenges it or even sweep.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
Drain punch isn't all that great i understand that.But its arguably one of the best moves for tanks like Robu.
All I'm going to say on this matter is that there's a really good reason why Drain Punch does not appear in Smogon analyses. It is not a reliable move, and it does not heal nearly enough to make up for its poor base power. You are almost always going to take a hit before you use Drain Punch, so the HP gained is going to be negligible in the long run anyways. It's not like you're ever going to get back to 100% with this move.

I have used Drain Punch pokemon a lot because I used to test sets that were submitted for analyses. Every time they were posted, they were thoroughly rejected by playtesting. If anything, after my personal testing, Drain Punch has actually gotten worse this gen.

And just saying ul die to a special attack when your at 25% health is just silly.
How is this silly at all, with its bad special defense and poor defensive typing? 25% is not a lot of damage on anything.

Dynamic Punch is ofc always good due to its brokeness...There's also the added fact you have to "waste" your ability for it as well.
No Guard is an awesome ability, why are you calling it a waste? 100% confusion, 100 base power STAB move is awesome, not to mention a 100% accurate Stone Edge.

There's also 500 thousand Shaymin S's running around (Saying its not common in the bottom of the ladder is kind of pointless really >_>).
Shaymin-S also annihilates Roobushin before it attacks. What's your point?

It sits at a quite useless speed tier really
Speaking of useless speed tiers, its a Roobushin thread!

And you really dont "scare off phychick types (I fucking know i spelled it wrong and i dont care)" as they'd just Ohk0 you anyway.
But they can't switch in.

So just because very few Water types learn Water sprout there suddenly bad?
You completely missed my point. Water-types have a viable option if they don't learn Water Spout, it's called Surf. Drain Punch is not an acceptable substitute for the raw power of Close Combat. After my own personal testing I can't help but feel like the weak Drain Punch is a waste of Roobushin's great Attack stat.

Well what he ment was you can easily come out on top aginst many pokes unharmed as they dont do enough dammage to you and you heal it off.
And my point was that you don't heal enough damage to make it worthwhile. You could just use a stronger attack and not take as many hits. That would save damage in the long run AND benefit your team, instead of praying for no crits and hovering at 50% the whole match.

And yes Hippowdon is.It can never win aginst Robu 1 on 1.
It doesn't have to beat it, it just Roars it away and shakes your team up, as well as setting up Sand for the rest of their team.

Hammer arm is just plain bad really.Have you actually tested Drain punch?Because i seriusly get the feeling you havn't.
I have used Drain Punch in this gen and on Pokemon last gen that learned it (because I needed to test to see if certain analyses that were posted were actually valid). It is not a good move. Hammer Arm at least has a respectable base power, and the Speed drop is negligible.

Tyranitar goes last "Almost all the time" but he's used extensively.
The big difference being that Tyranitar has the typing and defenses to take massive hits from both sides of the spectrum, as well as two great STABs, and one of the best abilities in the game, and it can also hit hard from both sides as well. Tyranitar can afford to take hits here and there because it isn't supposed to sit for 10 turns and sweep like your Drain Punch Bulk Up Roobushin is trying to do.

How is Dynamic Punch in any way more "reliable".
With No Guard it has a 100% confusion rate. It also has 100 base power before STAB.

I have no complaints here.But no fucking fighting type beats Shandera >_>..
Except Kerudio :D

He never used the words fast sweeper.
The 'bulky tank' concept, a pokemon with terrible speed that uses bulkiness and massive power to attack, died during generation IV(Swampert and Metagross were SR leads not tanks). The only exception was Machamp with it's broken Dynamicpunch/ No guard combo. With the addition of more extremely powerfull fast sweepers these kind of pokemon sets will become even more rare.

As such unless Roopushin brings something unique on the table, i doubt it will see much use after the experimental period ends. It's not 'bad' by any means however it will struggle to find a place on a competitive team.

Max attack Adamant Iron Fist Roopushin after one Bulk up using Mach Punch does 61.8- 72.9% damage to standard Infernape according to my calculations. Please do not make such assumptions before doing any research.
Roopushin is only weak to Psychic and Flying, two very uncommon attack types. It's a great check to physical pokemon and leftovers and Drain Punch really do help with the longevity. I say this from experience.

As for the Infernape the one I killed with Mach Punch, I must have had Guts activated too then. But I did kill it with one Mach Punch.

In my experience, drain punch more or less completely outclasses hammer arm. After a few bulk ups (or at least 1, not hard to get), drain punch allows him to heal off most or all of the damage he takes. Only special attackers can hope to wear him down, and then you'll need several to take him out. Ghosts work best, since he can't drain them. If the opponent isn't quite dead from the drain punch (only common when they resist it), that's what mach punch is for. Hammer arm means he goes down much faster, and loses any bulk up wars (assuming the opponent runs drain punch).

i've recently been working with a quad of pokemon that work very very well together. the first member is bulk up- roobushin, with guts, drain punch, payback, and rockslide. then to take the psychic hits is zuzurukin, with dragon dance, taunt, drain punch and high jump kick. to take the flying weakness off both of these is magnezone, who can also trap and kill steels that give them trouble. to take fighting moves of zuzurukin and ground for magnezone is gengar with a choice scarf. any thoughts? heres the sets

Roobushin-guts - leftovers
adamant
252 sp. def/136 att/ 120 hp (sp. def is because bulk ups allow him to be unstoppable)
bulk up
drain punch
rock slide (opted over mach punch so he can take on gyarados)
pay back

Zuruzukin-overconfidence - leftovers
jolly
252 att/ 252 speed/ 4 hp
Dragon dance
drain punch (better longetivity than hi jump kick)
crunch
taunt (shuts down nattori/skarmory)

Magnezone - Magnet pull - leftovers
timid
252 sp. attack/ 252 speed/ 4 hp
thunderbolt
thunderwave (might opt for magnet rise)
substitute (for scizor/nattorie)
hidden power fire

Gengar- Levitate- choice scarf
Timid
2252 sp attack/ 252 speed/ 4 hp
shadow ball
thunderbolt
hidden power ice
psychic (for roobushin)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)