Poliwrath

I used Poli in my first team on PO, and found him less useful than Gen IV so far (I use him in my standard OU team).
The set I ran was:
Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Impish
252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Sp Def
- Brick Break
- Waterfall
- Bulk Up
- Overhead Throw

I ran this with Focus Punch in place of Overhead Throw in Gen IV.

While he does a decent job at sticking around, I found it hard to get Bulk Ups in, so his damage output stayed relatively low. Overhead Throw is great to remove a counter as soon as it switches in, but gets predictable so needs to be used well (also not 100% accuracy). I think Focus Punch is still a better option to hit the counter (probably resisted, but it'll still take a chunk out) and then switch.
Burunkeru in particular walls him to pieces and is so common that he could make zero impact until jelly was got rid of (also a hard task).

I now run a similar set with Bulk Up/Dragon Tail Zuruzukin and I find him much more deserving of a place on my team, so I'm sorry to say Poliwrath's been benched for now.

I think a good Swift Swim set would be:

Hypnosis
Belly Drum
Waterfall
Overhead Throw/Brick Break/Ankle Sweep

I'm terrible with EVs but this could work when its raining then Poli would then come on, shoot off a fast as hell Hypnosis and then immediately have a guaranteed Belly Drum boost and then start going buck-nutty.

Where are the token Choice sets?

Also, Poliwhirl with Evo stone is better for a Belly Drum set. It can take a hit, Drum up, and sweep. Wrath should focus on what makes him unique, being a bulky Water-Fighting.

In most of these sets, Poliwrath is completely walled by Burungeru, and completely resisted by Gyarados and the Dragon/Flyers or anything Grass/Poison. Water + Fighting isn't the best type coverage out there by any means. You'll need either Ice Punch or Rock Slide not to have to run away and lose your set up the minute these pokes switch in.

I have a question. I remember reading that dreamworld abilities could be bred, so wouldn't you potentially be able to get Drizzle with Poliwrath? Breeding dreamworld abilities might have been made up though, so if you know, answers will be appreciated. Thanks.

No, you can't just pass abilities around- breeding a DW ability refers to the ability to breed within the same pokemon, so a Poliwrath mom with a DW ability with a dad giving her his egg moves would yield, as I understand, 50% chance of DW ability + egg move.

In short: DW abilities are not syphilis.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Poliwrath is going to suffer from the same problems that it did in every gen so far. It is just barely too slow to beat things out. It is just barely too weak to OHKO things. It is just barely too weak to tank hits. Its movepool is just barely too shallow to make up for these shortcomings.

Another Fighting type that doesn't learn Close Combat. Its got a sub-100 Attack stat with no moves over 80 base power (except Focus Punch). No good abilities. Really, the only thing Poliwrath can do is Hypnosis or Sub Salac Belly Drum, and even then it is outclassed. Such a shame that this mon hasn't been buffed yet. Its only other real option is an unSTABbed Ice Punch to slightly weaken Grass- and Poison-types that will come in to wall it.

I will be surprised if Poliwrath is anything but NU this gen, unless we make a tier between NU and UU.

Poliwrath is going to suffer from the same problems that it did in every gen so far. It is just barely too slow to beat things out. It is just barely too weak to OHKO things. It is just barely too weak to tank hits. Its movepool is just barely too shallow to make up for these shortcomings.

Another Fighting type that doesn't learn Close Combat. Its got a sub-100 Attack stat with no moves over 80 base power (except Focus Punch). No good abilities. Really, the only thing Poliwrath can do is Hypnosis or Sub Salac Belly Drum, and even then it is outclassed. Such a shame that this mon hasn't been buffed yet. Its only other real option is an unSTABbed Ice Punch to slightly weaken Grass- and Poison-types that will come in to wall it.

I will be surprised if Poliwrath is anything but NU this gen, unless we make a tier between NU and UU.
Have you even used Poliwrath before? Because if you have, then you would see that pretty much everything you've written is simply wrong.

First of all, yes, its stats are balanced, but it has excellent typing both defensively and offensively, so you can put EV's wherever it needs to suit its purpose. Its movepool is not really shallow at all considering its two STABs, plus an Ice type move gets perfect neutral coverage. And trust me, having used Poliwrath extensively the last Gen, most Grass types are being more than "slightly weakened" by an Ice Punch, unless you count average damage around 50-60% being "slight". It has many, MANY uses above "sub salac belly drum" (clue no.1 you've probably never used it) or "Hypnosis". It can still use Bulk Up and Cheer Up to boost its stats, helped by Encore, Hypnosis, and a great ability in Water Absorb (you're probably the only person on here who would consider WA a bad ability). It can be a great supporter with a phazing move in (STAB) Overhead Throw, Boiling Water, etc.

I've only glanced over what it got this Gen, and while it didn't get the buff I would have liked, it is still far beyond hopeless, like your post would suggest.

I like the idea of a Sleep Talk "Phazer":

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Overhead Throw
- Payback/ Rock Slide

Poli here has good defenses, so it might work... or not.
I would use Nageki if it learned Sleep Talk...

Dunno if this has been mentioned already (I didn't check, sorry) but Burungeru walls all of these sets. :0 Any mixed sets should utilize Hidden Power Grass / Electric or something.

Dunno if this has been mentioned already (I didn't check, sorry) but Burungeru walls all of these sets. :0 Any mixed sets should utilize Hidden Power Grass / Electric or something.
I mentioned it at the top of the page..
The combination of his low Sp Atk and Burunkeru/most bulky waters' high Sp Def makes HP a waste of a moveset in my eyes, as he's just not got the stats to use a 70 power move to power through. I tried using him running max Sp Atk on a Vacuum Wave-based set and his damage output seemed noticeably lower.

I mentioned it at the top of the page..
The combination of his low Sp Atk and Burunkeru/most bulky waters' high Sp Def makes HP a waste of a moveset in my eyes, as he's just not got the stats to use a 70 power move to power through. I tried using him running max Sp Atk on a Vacuum Wave-based set and his damage output seemed noticeably lower.
Ah, sorry, didn't catch that.

Yeah, I guess Burungeru is just one of those things that you gotta switch out against. :0 Or have out of the way before attempting to up your stats. I guess Pursuit-users are good allies for him...

I shall have to test Poliwrath out. I must say, though, that unless I was using Belly Drum, I'd use Submission for my Fighting-type attack for the extra power.

I think the recoil from Submission is more damaging to Poli than the 5 extra Power (over Brick Break) is to the opponent.
I've always found him best trading blow-for-blow (assuming he's not at a type disadvantage) and coming out on top due to his bulk, as he's not the strongest guy out there, and think he'd struggle to stick around as long and therefore beat as much stuff if he's taking recoil damage.
Just my experience though, let me know how it turns out for you.

Poliwrath is going to suffer from the same problems that it did in every gen so far It is just barely too slow to beat things out. It is just barely too weak to OHKO things. It is just barely too weak to tank hits. Its movepool is just barely too shallow to make up for these shortcomings.
Looks like a lot of stuff you can fix with rain now.

After playing with Poliwrath, I can attest to it's usefulness. It's a great Water sweeper who can actually take out Nattorei one-on-one with Break Break. I've been using the Mixed Cheer-Up set in the Rain. I've also been running an SD Armaldo alongside it, who also works very well, but that's a story for another day.

Too many Pokemon outclass it that do the same thing as he does. Kabutops is a better Rain Dance sweeper, and Machamp does the encore-sub set much better. Could be viable in UU, but I just don't see it happening.

I've been testing Poliwrath lately, and it has surprised me how good it is.
Not only does it get a nice surprise factor it can take hits decently at half health (after a belly drum). It has gotten me quite a few sweeps and of course rage quits. In response to people talking about how Burungeru walls it, I have never had this problem because I run rock slide. In fact Burungeru can't really do anything but toxic it, so Poli can set up on it and take out a couple of pokes.
The set I used is below (very simple mind you, but works wonders):

Adamant
Leftovers

Swift Swim
  • Belly Drum
  • Waterfall
  • Brick Break
  • Rock Slide
And also to people who say its outclassed by other swift swim sweepers like Kingdra, keep in mind a few things. His bulk, surprise factor, resistance to common priority (bullet punch, ice shard, aqua jet, sucker punch) and reliable, albeit somewhat weak moveset.

Poliwrath should be used for a tankish set, given its the only fully evolved Fighting type that has >100 Att.

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Bold
Water Absorb
252hp / 200def / 56spatt
- Overhead Throw
- Boiling Water
- Toxic/Protect/Substitute
- Encore/Protect/Substitute

Im not really sure about the EVing cause this guy might need some SpAtt to actually do some damage. This Pokemon be quite a stury physical tank. Comes in on stuff like Hippodon or Swampert and even CB Ttar.

Boiling Water hinders physical attackers even more, Overhead Throw for phasing and scouting for switch-ins. Encore SR and setup moves from slower foes and especially that stupid Burungeru's water attack, yeah im thinking Boiling Water, who thinks it can wall Poliwrath all day. Substitute and Protect are for scouting; Sub protects from status while Protect gives and extra turn of Leftovers. Finally Toxic or screwing with Burungeru and Swampert or tankish Poke like Cresselia and that new Regeneration Tangrowth who would otherwise wall your ass off. Obviously Entry Hazards are useful for Overhead Throw.

For the love of God, it has BELLY DRUM SWIFT SWIM. If there's much of a hype with Doryuuzu and his Swords Dance, I can't see how Poliwrath doesn't get as much attention.

I've been testing Poliwrath lately, and it has surprised me how good it is.
Not only does it get a nice surprise factor it can take hits decently at half health (after a belly drum). It has gotten me quite a few sweeps and of course rage quits. In response to people talking about how Burungeru walls it, I have never had this problem because I run rock slide. In fact Burungeru can't really do anything but toxic it, so Poli can set up on it and take out a couple of pokes.
The set I used is below (very simple mind you, but works wonders):

Adamant
Leftovers

Swift Swim
  • Belly Drum
  • Waterfall
  • Brick Break
  • Rock Slide
And also to people who say its outclassed by other swift swim sweepers like Kingdra, keep in mind a few things. His bulk, surprise factor, resistance to common priority (bullet punch, ice shard, aqua jet, sucker punch) and reliable, albeit somewhat weak moveset.
Have you tried using Sitrus instead of Leftovers? Puts you immediately back up to 75% after Drumming. Make sure your HP is even if you use it.

I've had tons of success using a defensive Poliwrath:

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Water Absorb
Impish/ 252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 SD
~Overhead Throw
~Waterfall/Boiling Water
~Rest
~Sleep Talk

It's actually quite bulky, and overhead throws things out. Works really well with rocks and toxic spikes and stuff. Hail too. Rock resist is nice, and so is fire, water and Ice. As one of the few dual types that get overhead throw, it's stabbed, and only 15 less power than brick break. I've experimented with boiling water, but that doesn't combo well with toxic spikes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)