Sheer Force

Yes, it has been confirmed--moves that normally have secondary effects are stronger than moves that don't when used by a Pokemon with Encourage, meaning that if a move doesn't have a secondary effect, it's still has the same power.

Yeah, has this been confirmed?
Pretty much...

Hmm, while I tested it a bit it seemed that stone edge was stronger with encourage, but it seemed like only 10 % stronger. But I guess that was because moves aren't doing always the same amount of damage, and not because of encourage... :\

shame it doesn't boost all moves with secondary effects. wargle would have been amazing if it did. no drawbacks STAB thrash, no recoil STAB brave bird, and no drawbacks superpower would have been killer.

What about moves that can have a positive effect on the user (Ancientpower, Silver Wind, Ominous Wind, Charge Beam, Nitro Charge, etc.)? Also Icy Wind and all of its variants (do a little damage, lower the opponent's stat) will be boosted the same way DynamicPunch and variants are.

I just found how serebii says that trapping move have a 100% chance of trapping, so are they boosted? I know only Magma Storm seems useful, and Heatran doesn't get Encourage, and if it did, Fire Blast would be strictly better. (Everything else has 45.5 BP or lower.)

Apparently, Encourage negates Life Orb recoil when a Encourage boosted move is used.

Life Orbed Encourage Nidoking used Earthquake --------------> 10% recoil.
Life Orbed Encourage Nidoking used Earth Power -------------> No recoil AT ALL.

Life Orb + Encourage boosted move = No Recoil? o_O

Oh dear.

Encourage LO is going to lead to all kinds of nastiness, good god Gamefreak are you serious? Do Hihidaruma, Kurimugan, Feraligatr, Landlos really deserve a no drawback 1.6x boost? Just how much did they pay them off for...

Oh dear.

Encourage LO is going to lead to all kinds of nastiness, good god Gamefreak are you serious? Do Hihidaruma, Kurimugan, Feraligatr, Landlos really deserve a no drawback 1.6x boost? Just how much did they pay them off for...
The Life Orb recoil is negated ONLY if the Pokemon uses a Encourage boosted move (Rock Slide, Earth Power, Fire Fang, Crunch, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, etc)

Nidoking and Nidoqueen really LOVE this (specially Nidoking).

Hihidaruma is far scarier with Choice Band given that the ability to switch moves makes little difference when Flare Blitz is 2HKOing just about everything in the game regardless, and Landlos is better off with Sand Strength generally speaking given that pretty much anything it has that gets boosted by Encourage is also boosted by SS.

The rest of them need the boost tbh. And even then the only ones that can really abuse this are Nidoking, Kurimungan and Feraligatr since most Encourage users are pretty much trolled by their movepool.

You forgot Nidoqueen, its higher bulk makes it just as viable as Nidoking alot of the time. A mixed set with Nidoqueen along the lines of Claw Sharpen/Blizzard/Thunder/Earthquake seems pretty awesome to me. Or a plain old Earth Power/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Filler would probably do well too.

Just a shame Encourage is illegal with Stealth Rock...

Actually does Encourage work with Slime Wave?

Feraligatr can make great use of this. Waterfall + Life Orb + Encourage + STAB = 202 Power. He also gets a couple of other sexy moves like Crunch (135), and Ice Punch (126).

Of course, Nidoking is a great user as well, with his superb special movepool consisting of moves with rare secondary effects.

That's actually a 1.69x boost, since they are stacking, so it means that now these pokemon have a tremendous boost without needing to be put into a Band/Specs and be bound to a single move. Hihidaruma will be most pleased...

Of course, as Ech0ez pointed out, with CB/CSpecs * Encourage, they will do horrifically high damage, but to be honest, I would much prefer the ability to switch moves than be locked, but it really depends on the pokemon.

Dream World abilities can be passed to offspring from a female DW parent.
This is true, but there is no confirmation that female DW Totodile will be available in the future. I did just read the DW Pokemon thread which gave me some hope about event DW Pokemon and genders though so...cross your fingers that GF is kind to Feraligatr.

If it turns out in the end that Feraligatr can't get Dragon Dance with Encourage, there is always Swords Dance, but still...

As far as Sludge Wave/Slime Wave goes, it has a chance of Poisoning so I don't see why it shouldn't get the Encourage boost.

Maybe GF thought Life Orb + Encourage is too good so they made it so that LO won't do anything (and thus you don't get the LO recoil) on moves that already have a boost with encourage.

Someone should test it. I hope it's false, because Feraligatr would really need it, but I think it is like that...

^It has been tested and LO + Encourage DOES stack. The downside would be using non-Encourage-boosted moves on a LO set.

Access to Dragon Dance and Ice Punch is what it needs! >:I

To bad Gatr doesn't get Ice Punch or DD with Encourage... still, Waterfall/Ice Fang/Stone Edge/Crunch (with SD over SE or Crunch and EQ as a possible option) will definately hurt if passed speed. NOW IF ONLY BLAZIKEN COULD BATON PASS SPEED BOOST.

what part of DW ability pass do you not understand?

Get a male Feral with DD and Ice Punch and a Female Feral with DW ablity

Mate them. The End not that hard

what part of DW ability pass do you not understand?

Get a male Feral with DD and Ice Punch and a Female Feral with DW ablity

Mate them. The End not that hard
We have yet to see a female starter from the Dream World as far as I know. That's the only issue...
So hey, Wargle could put Life Orb Crush Claw and Rock Slide to use. Maybe with Claw Sharpen or Bulk Up and the necessary evil that is Superpower.

Except that Encourage-boosted Crush Claw is still weaker than and less accurate than Return. Its only selling point is the possible defense drop and no Life Orb recoil.

Except that Encourage-boosted Crush Claw is still weaker than and less accurate than Return. Its only selling point is the possible defense drop and no Life Orb recoil.
Defense drop can't happen with Encourage.
It is weaker, but as you said precisely, the selling point is the lack of recoil.
It's not amazing, but its a possibility.

Was Surf/Earthquake ever confirmed to get the boost, since they do double damage to Dived/Underground Pokemon?

I think Nidoqueen might actually like Encourage even more than Nidoking. Not to say that she's a better user of it, necessarily, but I look at it this way: If I see a Nidoking in a team lineup before battle (assuming that's implemented), I at least know he's probably there to run things over and can prepare for that. If I see a Nidoqueen, I won't know if she's there to stand around putting down Toxic Spikes like in fourth-gen, if she's playing up her (effectively) base ~110 Special Attack, or some combination of both. Base 76 Speed is also an interesting tier since with the right EVs she could beat Breloom, Metagross, and Tyranitar. And Smeargle, I suppose, but the other three are bigger deals.

Nidoking's attack advantages are clear, so I don't want to restate the obvious, but I will say that it's not like he doesn't also have the ability to use Toxic Spikes if he really wants to. One advantage there is that unlike with Tentacruel, Roserade, Nidoqueen, and Forretress, a person with a Rapid Spinner won't immediately realize the importance of not letting it get KOed just from seeing Nidoking in the lineup.

Also worth a mention if Ninetales is released: the Nidos have 236 power Fire Blast in Sunny Day, which is almost as strong just from neutral damage as their 247 power super-effective Ice Beams and Thunderbolts.

We have yet to see a female starter from the Dream World as far as I know. That's the only issue...
So hey, Wargle could put Life Orb Crush Claw and Rock Slide to use. Maybe with Claw Sharpen or Bulk Up and the necessary evil that is Superpower.
Female Bulbasaur and Charmander from DW exists. Also i believe we can find out which pokemon are currently up on DW but seeing which are allowed on random wi-fi. (For example drought vulpix im fairly certain is up, since it is allowed on random wifi, while speed boost torchic isn't, and we know it's at least a special one (i.e. event) further supporting my idea)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)