Feraligatr

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
on an Offensive LO set (where you run max speed) I would use Earthquake Spiral. It can still set up and it would not be too hard to get a +2 attack boost.
Sure something faster than Gyarados can come in and scare it out but is that not the bane of all Sweeper sets for offensive pokemon?

The sword dance set is by far the strongest IMO. With Rock slide, waterfall, etc., my god will he be amazing in OU. I'll personally love him in UU or OU since I'll make a team for him regardless xD.

ginganinja

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Has this even been tested by anyone or are you simply repeating what some random dude has been saying?

Not it has not been tested. On the text it states that it boosts accuricy while ignoring secondary effects (eg Flinch rate) However feel free to test it yourself and prove me wrong!

Considering Encourage negates the secondary effect doesn't that make Superpower viable? I'm not sure how well it fits on his sets but surely a 180(?) power fighting move with no drawbacks is worth consideration.

Why people don't get it that effects like stat boosts, recharge etc. don't activate Encourage!

Only secondary effects aka things that have some percential chance to happen like Ice Punch's freeze etc.

Not it has not been tested. On the text it states that it boosts accuricy while ignoring secondary effects (eg Flinch rate) However feel free to test it yourself and prove me wrong!
Yes, and what makes you think the recharge turn isn't considered a "secondary effect" by the game? Obviously the primary effect of a damaging move is its damage, is it not?

Anything is possible as long as it hasn't been properly tested by gamers. Game mechanics don't always follow common sense.

Well Now I can use Feraligatr in OU. Huzzah!
I still think Gyarados will overshadow Gator for two reasons: Earthquake Spiral and Intimidate.
Intimidate) It doesn't matter as much now in this apparently now Hyper-offense metagame, With all the base 140+ this-or-that attacking stat and all, but it might help an offensive dancer. However, Earthquake Spiral is definitely now going to be the preferred choiced.

EarthquakeSpiral) A Choice Band boost after each KO? Yes Please! After two KOs, it has the equivalent of a SD boost under its belt and can sweep just about everything on the opposite team, bar the diehard Physical wall (which may or may not be common in the early metagame.)

I rest my case. Though Agreeing with the poster above, ES will still be competing with Intimidate a good part of the time so it can set up on Pokemon.
On a parting note, I think a good few players will opt for ES over Intimidate.

ginganinja

Yes, and what makes you think the recharge turn isn't considered a "secondary effect" by the game? Obviously the primary effect of a damaging move is its damage, is it not?

Anything is possible as long as it hasn't been properly tested by gamers. Game mechanics don't always follow common sense.

I realise this. Just like Superpower, Aqua Jet etc Giga Impact is believed not to not affect Encourage. Refer to Ferdies post. Again there is no need to moan at me, go test it out yourself and prove me wrong instead of arguing with me! Also where do I say that Giga Impact's recharge turn not being affected by Encourage is 'common sense"?

If you want to argue about encourage's effects or indeed pretty much anything about this post then take it to PM as I don't want this thread getting clogged up about this since its not really relevent to the topic

EDIT: Somebody has tested stuff like Hammer Arm with Encouraged and Encourage failed to disable the speed drop. It is theroyised that Encourage fails to disable 'negative' effects

I realise this. Just like Superpower, Aqua Jet etc Giga Impact is believed not to not affect Encourage. Refer to Ferdies post. Again there is no need to moan at me, go test it out yourself and prove me wrong instead of arguing with me! Also where do I say that Giga Impact's recharge turn not being affected by Encourage is 'common sense"?

If you want to argue about encourage's effects or indeed pretty much anything about this post then take it to PM as I don't want this thread getting clogged up about this since its not really relevent to the topic
Seriously, what kind of question is that?
I never said you did.

I said it, and that's all there is to it.
It's fairly obvious people use their common sense to figure out the mechanics of untested abilities.

Some good news for the old 'gatr: the research thread seems to indicate that dreamworld abilities are in fact breedable.

Given what's known so far, this should mean that encourage feraligatr could have ice punch + dragon dance (HG/SS gatr), dragon dance + aqua jet (B/W dragonite), or aqua jet + ice punch (HG/SS gatr), but probably not all 3.

I somehow doubt GF would make an ability that takes the strongest attacks in the game, attacks so strong they felt they required a penalty for using them. Take those attacks and not only make them stronger but also remove the penalty that they felt the weaker versions required. Especially when we already have abilities like Clear Body in the game which don't bypass negative aspects of attacks. But back to on topic.

What typing of attack is Payment Plan? I could see a set with him running it if set up walls like resttalk Milotic and others become popular.

Encourage definitely makes Feraligatr have a niche over other Water-type sweepers. +2 Encourage Waterfall does 53.9% - 63.5% to 252/176 Impish Skarmory. Ice Punch does 77.2% - 91.1% to 252/220 Bold Celebi, and Earthquake does 109.7% - 129.2% to 240/160 Impish Jirachi. Gyarados really struggles against these Pokemon, but because of Encourage and Swords Dance, Feraligatr can do more damage.

EDIT: Wait, how would it even get Ice Punch? rofl

Imo Ice Punch is a must have on any of Fera's sets. Assuming Swimming Goggles exist(I haven't heard of any confirmation of their existence yet) I can't find any good reason to run Aqua Jet over Ice Punch. If Sgoggles are fake then DD+Ice Punch would be the best choice Imo.

Considering Encourage negates the secondary effect doesn't that make Superpower viable? I'm not sure how well it fits on his sets but surely a 180(?) power fighting move with no drawbacks is worth consideration.
God, why don't people get it?

Encourage negates HAX, stuff that serene grace boosts.

EDIT: Wait, how would it even get Ice Punch? rofl
If you just wanted ice punch by itself, it can be bred from Abomasnow. However, according to serebii, feraligatr is also a valid ice punch parent for itself even in B/W. I would assume you could tutor ice punch onto a feraligatr in HG/SS (thus also allowing you to pick up another breeding move in the process) and then just transfer it over to B/W and breed it that way.

Basically breed a male DD totodile in HG/SS, tutor ice punch, transfer to B/W, breed with female encourage totodile >>> get DD/Ice punch encourage totodile. I can't test this, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work, assuming the research thread is right about breeding dreamworld abilities.

Hmm...

I must say that Feraligatr hits surprisingly hard with Encourage, even without Life Orb. All Celebi i met could be 2HKOed with Ice Punch/Crunch after a DD for example (could... if Gatr wasn't weak to grass moves. So i just let poor Gatr die lol), and i was using Leftovers as the item.

It's one of the best Encourage abusers (together with Nidoking) for sure. CB Gatr hits like a truck, especially with Politoed support.
And Swords Dance Gatr is just nuts. With Toed support, it's basically a slightly slower, bulkier Lucario with the lovely Water typing.

Finally Gatr isn't completely outshined by Gyarados IMO.

I think Aqua Jet is probably best slashed over Waterfall on the Swords Dance set. Feraligatr needs that last slot for coverage against stuff like opposing Water-types.

Also, with Burungeru floating around, Crunch should probably also be slashed over Earthquake on all/most of the sets, since Ice Punch hits Nattorei harder than Earthquake. And Crunch is good since it hits Burungeru supereffectively, has good synergy with Water, and is boosted by Encourage.

Is there any reason Gatr can't maybe run like a Scarf or a Band set? Lord knows that Encourage-boosted Waterfall/Ice Punch/Rock Slide/Crunch/etc. are gonna be useful off of Choice Scarf's imediate Speed increase.

So this is what I recommend: (from the OP, bolded stuff is changed)
Possible Sets:

Swords Dancer
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Encourage
EVs 4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPE
Item: Swimming Goggles
-Swords Dance
-Waterfall / Aqua Jet
-Ice Punch
-Crunch / Earthquake

Dragon Dancer
Nature: Jolly
Item: Life Orb
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Ice Punch
-Crunch/Aqua Jet

Speedy Gator
Nature: Adamant
EVs 28 HP / 252 ATK / 232 SPE
Item: Life Orb
-Agility
-Waterfall
-Ice Punch
-Crunch / Earthquake

Gator of Choice
Nature: Adamant
Item: Choice Scarf
-Waterfall
-Ice Punch
-Crunch / Rock Slide
-Superpower / Earthquake
A Band set with a bulkier EV spread that utilizes Aqua Jet would be good too, but I'm too lazy to come up with bulky EVs for it ATM.

Feraligatr needs more hype.

Life Orb recoil is negated, that plus the already amazing 1.3 boost and we've got a monster.

Jolly Dragon Dance is amazing.

Swords Dance is incredible.
+2 LO +nature Crunch ohkos burunkeru.
Aqua Jet for shandera/doryuuzu
CRUNCH + AQUA JET FOR DITTO.

beast

Feraligatr needs more hype.

Life Orb recoil is negated, that plus the already amazing 1.3 boost and we've got a monster.

Jolly Dragon Dance is amazing.

Swords Dance is incredible.
+2 LO +nature Crunch ohkos burunkeru.
Aqua Jet for shandera/doryuuzu
CRUNCH + AQUA JET FOR DITTO.

beast
He certainly does deserve more hype. I personally can't wait until he's released. Great bulk + DD + Waterfall + Crunch + Ice Punch and No LO Recoil is unreal. STAB +1 LO Rain Boosted Encouraged Waterfall = 456 base power.

Dragons and Grasses are OHKOed by Ice Punch. The most popular Bulky Water at the moment is OHKOed by Crunch.

And no LO recoil means that you don't really know whether it's LOed or Banded.

Go Gatr.

on the dragon dance set I think aqua jet and DD are illegal together (sorry if I'm wrong:) )
Dragonite gets both, so it's legal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)