Jynx

Name: Jynx
Type: Ice/Psychic
Abilities: Oblivious: This Pokemon cannot be attracted.
Forewarn: Reveals the foe's strongest move.
Dream World: Dry Skin: HP is restored when hit by water type moves and regains 1/16th its HP when rain is in effect. The opposite occurs in the sun.
Code:
Level Up Moves:
1: Pound
1: Lick
1: Lovely Kiss
1: Powder Snow
5: Lick
8: Lovely Kiss
11: Powder Snow
15: Doubleslap
18: Ice Punch
21: Heart Stamp
25: Mean Look
28: Fake Tears
33: Wake-up Slap
39: Avalanche 
44: Body Slam
49: Wring Out
55: Perish Song
60: Blizzard

TMs/HMs:
TM03 Psycho Shock
TM04: Calm MInd
TM06: Toxic
TM07: Hail
TM10: Hidden Power
TM12: Taunt
TM13: Ice Beam
TM14: Blizzard
TM15: Hyper Beam
TM16: Light Screen
TM17: Protect
TM18: Rain Dance
TM19: Telekinesis
TM21: Frustration
TM27: Return
TM30: Shadow Ball
TM31: Brick Break
TM32: Double Team
TM33: Reflect
TM41: Torment
TM43: Facade
TM44: Rest
TM45: Attract
TM46: Thief
TM48: Sing A Round
TM49: Echo Voice
TM52: Focus Blast
TM53: Energy Ball
TM56: Fling
TM66: Payback
TM68: Giga Impact
TM70: Flash
TM77: Psyche Up
TM79: Ice Breath
TM85: Dream Eater
TM86: Grass Knot
TM87: Swagger
TM90: Substitute
TM92: Trick Room

Egg Moves:
Meditate
Fake Out
Wish
Ice Punch
Miracle Eye
Nasty Plot
Wake-up Slap
Captivate

Pre-evo Only:
Sweet Kiss
Confusion
Sing
Lucky Chant 
Copycat
Hmmm thoughts on Jynx... Well its sure is a memorable pokemon, there has been a lot of controversy over Jynx's appearance over the past, and a lot of lady gaga jokes have been made. But all in all, how has Jynx'x career looked? Back in R/B, it was a powerful beast, boasting a stab blizzard, a sleep move, and good stats (plus Psychic was a great typing back then). After that, it slowly fell into dis-use, as its sub-par defenses and decent, but not amazing offenses couldn't help it all that much. So what has Jynx gained this generation you may ask? Well move wise, a bit but not too much, but oh boy did it gain a quite nice ability. Dry skin, an ability shared by only 2 others, is a great ability on jynx. Now while her core sets will not differ much, they will be played quite a fair bit differently. Here's the biggest boost I can think of from this new ability.

Don't try and run boy
Jynx @ Leftovers
16 HP / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid
Dry Skin

Mean Look
Calm Mind
Taunt / Wish / Substitute / Lovely Kiss
Psychic / Psycho Shock / Ice Beam

Huh? You say? How's this gimmick gonna ever work in standard play? Well my young friend, let me tell you. This set, is based around one thing, and one thing alone... Trapping bulky waters (or if your lucky, something choice locked into a water type move). Look at its typing, resists ice and is immune to water, the core base of almost every specially based bulky water out there. Come in on vaporeon or suicune, mean look and laugh in there face as you gain +6/6 while they pathetically pick away at your HP with hp electric/grass. The third move is dependant on what you want to set up on. Taunt stops vap and sui from roaring you out or toxic-ing you. Sub lets you avoid status and helps against potential revenge killers that may come in afterwards, but can't stop roar. Wish is a bit of a waste, but can help keep your hp up if your fighting something like o... burungeru, who hits you with super effective shadow balls (that will hurt until you get a few CM's in). Last move is your main sweeping stab. Psychic and psycho shock are powerful, but will mean you lose automatically to any dark type that switches in. Ice beam is better generally, but since you will be setting up against a water type, you will still do rather little damage even at +6.

So ya, thats my one and only new set for Jynx to run. All of jynx's previous sets will benefit a whole bunch from dry skin anyways... I just don't feel like posting all that same stuff you already know. Finally getting a rather decent immunity gives any set a good chance. You could run Lovely kiss of course over Mean look, as sleeping a counter is always oodles of fun. Any other set has probably already been covered in the past, but ya Dry skin has really helped jynx by the looks of things, it could even function somewhat well on a rain dance team. Discuss, post any sets I may have missed (that are new, don't just re-post the same sets it could always run well), and enjoy the new and improved Jynx.

Luna NEEDS Lovely Kiss to work. Put it in the third slot.

When using Mean Look, your opponent will switch into a counter. Since your opponent isn't an idiot, he'll guess you're using Dry Skin, since it's the only ability Jynx has that isn't worthless. So he'll switch into a Fire/Rock/Dark/Ghost/Bug type and you'll trap it. Then you'll switch, having achieved nothing but loss of momentum.

With Lovely Kiss, the counter will switch in and be slept. The NEXT switch in will be trapped, their second-best counter, that you can hopefully set up on.

It still isn't that great...

Lovely Kiss is much better than Mean Look. You will likely trap something Jynx doesn't want to deal with, instead of putting it to Sleep.

Edit: yeah, Ninja'd

Luna NEEDS Lovely Kiss to work. Put it in the third slot.

When using Mean Look, your opponent will switch into a counter. Since your opponent isn't an idiot, he'll guess you're using Dry Skin, since it's the only ability Jynx has that isn't worthless. So he'll switch into a Fire/Rock/Dark/Ghost/Bug type and you'll trap it. Then you'll switch, having achieved nothing but loss of momentum.

With Lovely Kiss, the counter will switch in and be slept. The NEXT switch in will be trapped, their second-best counter, that you can hopefully set up on.

It still isn't that great...
LoL I dunno about your games, but for me, if I see a jynx come in, I'm kinda gonna expect it to try to put me to sleep. So I generally won't switch my counter right away, I'll either leave whatever it came in on to stop it setting up a sub hopefully, and maybe let it fall asleep. Or, if I don't want it put to sleep, I'll switch to something as sleep fodder, and then go to my counter. I did put lovely kiss as an option on the bottom, but your right, it deserves a spot on here (more than wish does anyways).

Dry Skin seems like quite a good Dream World ability. While the double Fire weakness seems pretty bad, it's not like Jynx is going to be surviving Heatran Fire Blast or any other decently powerful Fire move. In exchange for the extra damage taken from Fire attacks, Jynx gets to come in on Waters almost for free, as Water attacks won't do anything and Jynx also boasts a resist to Ice Beam. Maybe something like Calm Mind with Sub and Lovely Kiss might prove to be decent. Especially considering Mono-Ice isn't that bad, Jynx can come in on almost any Water Type , set up a Sub, sleep the first counter, and proceed to either set-up or just hit with a STABed Ice Beam. And while still not anything special, at least Dry Skin gives Jynx a little niche in the lower tiers.

How is Dry Skin such a good trait? Also, Jynx can be either a Calm Mind booster, a Nasty Plot booster, or even an effective Choice Scarf revenge killer!

It's a cool new ability, but unfortunately the fact it is illegal with Trick means it's useless to me. I'll be sticking with my existing Jynx set, so I'm disappointed it didn't gain anything move wise or even an evolution =(

Lead Jynx @ Choice Scarf
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 SpD
Modest
Forewarn
Trick
Lovely Kiss
Ice Beam
Energy Ball

This catches so many people off guard and can take out so many popular leads. Then it is used as a revenge killer later in the game with the strongest non-boosted Ice Beam in the game behind Glaceon.

I suppose its new ability gives it merit on rain teams too.

breh

強いだね
Well Jynx is pretty cool but I'm surprised Flareblitz hasn't posted here

Anyway maybe a simple CM set?

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Ice Beam
move 2: (Filler Move like HP Elec or Ground or coverage move or STAB move)
move 3: Calm Mind
move 4: Lovely Kiss
item: Life Orb
ability: Dry Skin (Out of curiosity what is the backstory for this?)
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Basically set up on bulky waters like you said then go from there.

It's really a pity that Jynx is both ice typed and slow. I wonder how Jynx would have been if it had 105 base speed as opposed to 100..

Overall, looks to be a potent UU sweeper.

Oh and no mention of a NP set yet?

Lacking the classical killer:

~ Mean Look
~ Perish Song
~ Lovely Kiss
~ Ice Beam/Protect
If I was going to use her, it'd be with this on a rain team for the free healing. Makes it a bit harder for the opponent to finish her off, especially if it's Protect in the last slot.

If I were going to run an ice move and Lovely Kiss I would use tinted lens and Blizzard. Lack of PP could be a problem though. If your sole goal is to take down bulky waters, might as well use grass knot or energy ball, despite lacking STAB. I haven't seen anyone using Nasty Plot on their set yet, but it's totally legal with DW abilities since the female passes the DW ability.

I feel like the nail in the coffin for Jynx (other than 35 base def) is its completely mediocre speed. 95 isn't really fast enough to be a good sweeper, but isn't low enough to really get good use out trick room. You know what Jynx needs? Butterfly Dance. Madame Chou chou all day.

If I were going to run an ice move and Lovely Kiss I would use tinted lens and Blizzard. Lack of PP could be a problem though. If your sole goal is to take down bulky waters, might as well use grass knot or energy ball, despite lacking STAB. I haven't seen anyone using Nasty Plot on their set yet, but it's totally legal with DW abilities since the female passes the DW ability.

I feel like the nail in the coffin for Jynx (other than 35 base def) is its completely mediocre speed. 95 isn't really fast enough to be a good sweeper, but isn't low enough to really get good use out trick room. You know what Jynx needs? Butterfly Dance. Madame Chou chou all day.
Ok? Well i see a number of problems with this statement... Firstly I assume you mean compound eyes (as thats what increases accuracy), secondly, jynx gets neither compound eyes nor tinted lense. Third, I don't mean for it to counter water types, it just gets an easy time setting up on them.

Oh no

This set lists Ice Beam as... optional? Wow.

I guess "Psychic" would be useful for the bulky waters, but once the bulky water is gone... oops! You have nothing to hit Dark-types with. And Metagross will have one hell of a field day with you.

Also bulky waters often have something to combat sets like this: Toxic. Which is why you have Taunt. So you can't have Lovely Kiss. Lovely.

The point of Luna was always to hide behind a Substitute, which would also eliminate the need for Taunt. (Except for the dread Roar).

And of course, there are also other factors to consider. Like the chances that someone is going to leave out a bulky water (or switch on in) on a Jynx.

Sub

I know jynx is frail and weak to sr but i think this a decent set.

~sub
~mean look
~baton pass
~lovely kiss

Sub on the switch to the counter. Next sleep them and mean look. Then batton pass away. If they dont switch just mean look right away. Requires predection but everything does right?

I know jynx is frail and weak to sr but i think this a decent set.

~sub
~mean look
~baton pass
~lovely kiss

Sub on the switch to the counter. Next sleep them and mean look. Then batton pass away. If they dont switch just mean look right away. Requires predection but everything does right?
No more trap passing.

Nasty Plot/Lovely Kiss/Ice Beam/Psychic is still the most effective set, even in OU.
I personally think with Dry Skin, Jynx can be used on a Rain Dance team, where she can trap a troublesome Pokemon with Mean Look, particularly Blissey, and Perish Song on her to pave a sweep for Pokemon like Omastar. With Dry Skin and Leftovers, Jynx shall have no problems setting up repeated Substitutes. She can also execute the same strategy on Ludicolo and Gorebyss if there is an opposing Rain team, to a certain degree of success.

Strong use for a Hail team; Blizzard + Jynx = Blynx

Blynx: @ Salac Berry
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe [HP is now 272 so it's divisible by 4, 8, & 16 which works with Substitute, Stealth Rock, and Dry Skin]
Timid (+Spe, - Atk)
Dry Skin

~Lovely Kiss
~Substitute
~Nasty Plot
~Blizzard / Ice Beam

Honestly, switch into a Water move, or a non-damaging move on a Pokemon you outspeed. Lovely Kiss the next turn (Timid is so you out speed more foes, like Adamant/Modest Base 100s), and Substitute on the switch. Now it relies on using Substitute on the switch-in after Lovely Kiss, and then if the foe is slower you Nasty Plot before they break the Substitute, or if they are faster you Substitute down until you activate Salac Berry, making you faster and able to Nasty Plot behind a Substitute next turn. Now you end up with a fast sweeper with Nasty Plot + Blizzard + Hail damage... you should be able to kill A LOT. Remember, a Nasty Plot basically negates a resistance and treats any foe with neutral typing as if it was weak to Blizzard since it doubles damage. Salac activation is helpful to outspeed foes and sweep...

If you really wanted to, this set could be used on a Rain team with Ice Beam over Blizzard... The advantage with Rain, is that you can Substitute even more thanks to the free heals from Dry Skin, and that could mean you can protect yourself from priority, or keep yourself alive if you have to 2HKO a foe rather than 1HKO a foe. Also, since the Rain heals Jynx, you can use Substitute 6 times instead of 3 times before activating Salac, and this works great against foes that are poisoned with Toxic [Spikes].

RaJynx- Raging Jynx- Use on a Rain Team with Substitute + Protect to stall like a Walrein, with Salac for Speed.

RaJynx
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe [HP is now 272 so it's divisible by 4, 8, & 16 which works with Substitute, Stealth Rock, and Dry Skin]
Timid (+Spe, - Atk)
Dry Skin

~Lovely Kiss
~Ice Beam
~Substitute
~Protect

Lovely Kiss
a slow foe, Substitute (Rain heals back 1/8 of HP or Half of a Substitute) on the switch, Protect (Rain heals back 1/8 of HP or the 2nd Half of the Substitute). If the foe is slower you Ice Beam before they break the Substitute, or if they are faster you Substitute down until you activate Salac Berry.

The point of this set is to heal as much as Walrein (thanks to Dry Skin healing 2x as much as Ice Body/Rain Dish), while being extremely fast (thanks to Salac Berry and not needing Leftovers). This set plays like the 1 above, except Protect is used over Nasty Plot so it heals back up 25% behind a Substitute, and can stall just like Stallrein, while Ice Beam is to avoid Taunt and to deal quick damage with fair coverage.

I honestly don't see how is Forewarn useless...it can help easing prediction!
Forewarn's better than a kick in the nuts, but a lot of the time it's going to give you brilliant insights like "this Doryuuzu has Earthquake!" Compare that to Dry Skin, which gives you immunity to a relatively predictable attacking type and which gives you more opportunities to switch in with a Pokemon with mediocre to poor defenses and typing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)