How long have you been playing Pokemon?

How long have you been playing Pokemon?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I'm taking time to count...eleven years?! oAo H-holy...where did the time go?!

Never participated in a tourney though. Did always want to...I dreamed of someday setting up my own tournament, back when I was also into YuGiOh, and we'd have hologram Pokemon battling each other...

...uh, anyway. Competitively I've only played for approx. 2 years, during the RSE era.

But seriously, good luck with your project. :3 It's really interesting to see the results you've gotten so far...

12 years ive played the cartiridges, ive been playing competetively for 2 years, or whenever diamond and pearl came to the states.

I've been in two official tournaments (09 and 10 VGC qualifiers). I think I first started in 2003 with Sapphire, but I occasionally played my brother's Red which he got about a year or two before that.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Played Red when it came out, and have been playing competitively (online sims) since late 2003. No Nintendo tourneys though!

I've been playing Pokemon for about 8 years (but only about 2 years competitive) but I've never attented an official Nintendo tournament. Hope this somewhat helps you :P

If I remove the breaks I've had, about 7 years for me. No tournaments. The number is not very accurate though; for a long while I played on a friends cartridge, which I had to borrow alongside his Game Boy. Got my own GBA and first own poke game a bit over 5 years back.

In the "or more" camp, got Blue on release a little over 12 years ago, but I'd played the Japanese ROM prior to that(as it turns out, I haven't changed all that much since I was 9) by a couple months. I'm sure more of you have heard about it since, but I saw the whole Porygon-Episode-gives-Japanese-kids-seizures thing on the news(which happened in late 1997) and decided to check out the game.

It was a lot more fun in a language I could read, as it turns out. I'm not going to try to remember why a video game related to giving kids seizures sounded like a good idea.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My parents waited in a huge line at Sears to get me Pokémon Blue for Christmas '98.

I have not participated in any Nintendo Tournies (or Smogon tours for that matter) but I am seriously considering attending at least the regional VGC's in 2011!

Good luck with your project; Stat is fun, though I took Engineering Stat which was far different than this stuff. It really sounds like a fun assignment, and I so wish I could have integrated Pokémon into my school projects. Maybe in grad school!

Wow, very surprised at the number of 12+ years voters... I got Red in '98, and I've been hooked ever since! Haven't been to an official tourney yet, though =/

I've been playing Pokemon since 4th grade, when my uncle gave me Red for Christmas and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get out of that house in Pallet town. Such good memories ^-^
No official tournaments, though.

I've been playing it since it came to the US when I was only 8. I'm 20 now.. so it's been 12 years. :3

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
i've played pokes since GSC in 2000 or so. Competitively, I started about a year and a half ago.

No nintendo tournaments attended.

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I got Pokemon Gold when I was in 3rd grade, or 8 years old. I'm 18 now, so about 10 years. I've participated in the last two VGC tournaments.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Played since the great winter of '98 when I received a gameboy as a present and demanded that our family buy pokemon Red. I didn't even know how to exit the house (thought the mat was a regular rug and not the entrance of the door).

It's now 2010, and it's been 12 long years. I took occasional breaks from it, but always came back within a few months. Never been to tournaments, just played casually and a bit competitively on Shoddy Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)