Dragonite

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just put Extremespeed in there to bypass Mischievous Heart.
Uh, yeah, I could, but Dragonite with 52 Attack EVs needs two Dragon Dances and Stealth Rock support to have a chance of OHKOing Erufuun. Perhaps someone with Magic Coat or Magic Mirror will do.

Either way, Erufuun's fucking scary even though it totally brings all the [competitive!] boys to the yard. Though it should be duly noted it should worry more about Skarmory than Erufuun because it's not as common as I thought on PO...

The gist of using MultiScale Dragonite is to conjure more Dragon Dances than Kingdra and Salamence. With MultiScale, this thing, I found, can survive two decently powered nonSTAB super effective attacks and conjure at least two Dances. Like Salamence, it needs Rapid Spin support to be more effective than it can be, but with MultiScale in mind. this is more of a liability and necessity.

KurashiDragon said:
I used to think that gen 5 lead dnite would be a little more suckish cause it's not capable of using multi scale with superpower, (Fuck you Troll Freak) but I'm seeing some positive thoughts on your set. If someone could quote me with a little more positivity, (lol I like that word) I think I might put that set up on the op. Looks good.
I would be honored! Looking through maybe these are helpful?
-Manaphy- said:
I'm using Dragonite as an Anti-Lead with Multi-Scale,(Basically the 4th gen one with a different ability) and he's fantastic. He lives things like Borutoroso's Hidden Power Ice and OHKO's back, and has ExtremeSpeed for Priority
KokoaKiwi said:
Lmao, almost my exact set. The only difference is I run lum berry and flamethrower over earthquake. It's awesome with all those forretress leads lately.
If anyone else is using Leadanite with Multiscale, speak up!

I was using this set on my Dragonite throughout my 4th Gen play

Dragonite@leftovers
-Roost
-Dragon Claw
-Thunderpunch
-Earthquake

252Hp/128Att/128Def

I think that this set will go to even greater heights now that it has multi-scale although the loss of inner focus means that it can no longer shut down togekiss or walk all-over lead ape.

AccidentalGreed

I was using this set on my Dragonite throughout my 4th Gen play

Dragonite@leftovers
-Roost
-Dragon Claw
-Thunderpunch
-Earthquake

252Hp/128Att/128Def

I think that this set will go to even greater heights now that it has multi-scale although the loss of inner focus means that it can no longer shut down togekiss or walk all-over lead ape.
I'm interested in knowing what exactly does this set do against certain threats.

Also, I am planning a new Leadnite set soon, but that should be plastic for all of you (set is fairly simple).

I've been having fun with Dragonite in Rain Teams. Hurricane is absolutely lethal, and with Thunder on the side, he becomes quite powerful - Multi Scale means you're usually guaranteed to survive a hit too.

Speaking of the rain, a great strategy in Triple Battle is to lead with Dragonite, a fast Pokémon with Freefall such as Aerodactyl, and Politoed. Have Politoed use its Drizzle ability to summon an infinite downpour, and then have Aerodactyl take the opponent's most threatening Pokémon up into the sky with Freefall, rendering it unable to move for that turn, before having Dragonite strike that Pokémon with either Hurricane or Thunder (both with 100% accuracy in the rain) while they are up in the sky, eliminating the opponent's most dangerous Pokémon with ease most of the time while preventing it from attacking. Politoed can also be equipped with a Choice Scarf to disable one of the opponent's Pokémon with Hypnosis too.

Dragonite's versatility this gen is really surprising me. Between serious weather abuse, awesome lead ability, and bulky DDing, he is quite the star player, and has much more defined niches than he did for the last few gens. All the changes like Multiscale, new moves like Hurricane, and ESpeed getting +2 priority really came together nicely for him! Does my heart good to see my favorite Pokemon finally finding himself a true, potent, powerful role on the scene of competitive battling alongside his fellow dragons.

he somehow more popular than salamence this generation around.
Is it because of the power creep this metagame have, his new tools, or because, say he has been rediscovered after being used many time by everyone last gen ?
(also loled at anyone say Fuck dragonite long live flygon last gen Kingdra is better than flygon ! so hes worst dragon)

Dragonite got plenty of new tools this gen. +2 priority Extremespeed, Multi-Scale, and Multi-Scale being compatible with Roost are the big ones.

Something I recently noted, which made me sad: Dragonite cannot carry Heal Bell on the same set as Multi-Scale, due to it being from XD. Furthermore, it's not compatible with Extremespeed either. I was personally really hoping Heal Bell DNite could become viable, I suppose not.

Nonetheless, an absolutely amazing backup Pokémon/Lategame sweeper. I have been running the following set. EVs are not quite right as I'm at school and don't have access to the exact spread.

Dragonite@Power Herb
# HP / # Atk / # SpD / # Spe (I will edit with these at some point. I can't recall off the top of my head what I was trying to outspeed after a DD.)
Adamant/Serious | Multi-Scale (using all my stats, neutral nature is what I'm using. Fly set rolls with Adamant)
~Dragon Dance
~Extremespeed
~Dragon Claw
~Fly/Gale

Why Fly? It catches a surprising number of things. Kerudio in particular, who comes in, thinking it can take my +1 Dragon Claw, gets caught with Fly and dies. Admittedly gimmicky, and I sub it out for Gale when a rain team is what I'm running. I generally try not to use Gale if I'm not running Rain; a late-game sweeper should be reliable.

Draco Meteor / Brick Break / Fire Blast / Extremespeed lead is pretty cool

Gale / Thunder / Surf / Focus Blast is pretty cool in rain

Dragon Dance / Dragon Claw / Brick Break / Roost is better than before

overall versitile & powerful pokemon which will stay OU this gen

Earthquake is preferable over Brick Break for sure, and with the lead you could run Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, or even Ice Beam over Fire Blast depending on your preferences. The item is also up to personal choice. Life Orb is nice with old-fashioned Inner Focus Nite, Leftovers can go nicely with Multiscale, and Lum Berry is a great option on both.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Leftovers could work excellently with Multi-Scale; IIRC DNite takes <6.25% from a LeadApe's Fake Out with Multi-Scale active, so it can't be broken that easily.

Multi-Scale pretty much forces Nite to be bulky and run roost for the most part. So at the end of the day Nite is still that bulky DDancer or lead we all know from gen 4 =D

AccidentalGreed

Agility Rain Dragonite sounds good on paper at first, but does it really have merit on a Rain team if it needs one turn of set up and has some other Pokemon to contend with, like Kingdra and others that impale 100 base Special Attack?

Agility Rain Dragonite sounds good on paper at first, but does it really have merit on a Rain team if it needs one turn of set up and has some other Pokemon to contend with, like Kingdra and others that impale 100 base Special Attack?
I haven't used Nite in the rain, I'm not usually that fond of using weather teams period. That said, I haven't come across a Dragonite on any rain teams I've fought either. I'm sure Kingdra is still THE rain dragon, but it sounds like Dragonite could find a nice niche for himself.

Brick Break > Earthquake.

Balloon Doryuuzu, Nattorei, OHKO ttar without dance, still ohko heatran, hurt skarm a bit more, gets rid of screens.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
NVE Outrage actually does more to Skarm than a normally effective BB, and Nattorei isn't 3HKOed by BB without a DD on the standard Dragon Dancer set. Not to mention it leaves DNite without options against Steel/Psychics like Metagross and Jirachi.

The only place where I could see Brick Break MAYBE being preferable is on the Bulky Dancer, where he only has two attacking options and it offers marginally better coverage than Fire or Ground. Still, I think the power of Earthquake is better, and on the rain and lead sets he just has so many other better options.

Bulky Dragon Dancer with roost is a beast. Remove stealth rock and you're good to go. Outrage +Waterfall/Fire Punch / Brick Break / Earthquake all grant semi-flawless coverage.

Bulky Dragon Dancer with roost is a beast. Remove stealth rock and you're good to go. Outrage +Waterfall/Fire Punch / Brick Break / Earthquake all grant semi-flawless coverage.
I decided to try this (Dance/Claw/Quake/Roost) over my Leadnite for a bit. Totally different gamplan, but I'm very pleased with him!
I used Bulky DDnite last gen, but the difference here is you have the chance to boost more thanks to Multiscale. Like, you bring him in, Dance on the switch, and then you can confidently Dance again in their face because Multiscale will prevent a knock-out. So your at +2 for both and you rampage through the team, Roosting where needed. Works exceptionally well!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)