Reuniclus (Analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reuniclus
http://veekun.com/dex/pokemon/rankurusu

[Overview]
<p>Reuniclus is a Pokemon with a high Special Attack of 125. It also has one of the best abilities in the game, Magic Guard. It's low base Speed means it is a good Trick Room Pokemon and can set it up reliably. Unfortunately Reuniclus is hindered by a bad Defensive typing which means Tyranitar and Scizor can walk all over it. It is also Over-Reliant on Focus Blast to beats it's counters. </p>

[SET]
name: Calm Mind + Recover
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Recover
move 3: Psychic / Psycho Shock
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
ability: Magic Guard
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4SpD
ivs: 0 Speed

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set allows Reuniclus to destroy stall teams. After a Calm Mind, Focus Blast Scores a 1HKO on Tyranitar. Blissey can not do anything to Reuniclus as it can stall it out with Magic Guard and Recover. Psychic is your primary attacking option here, but Psycho Shock can also be used. Hidden Power Fighting is a option over Focus Blast but it fails to KO some variants of Tyranitar .The EV's ensure Reuniclus can take physical hits.A 0 speed IV means you are slower than Bronzong who can now not KO with Payback.</p>

<p>Sadly this set is easily countered. Any Physical Attack that is Super Effective will destroy this set. Scizor takes little damage from a weak Focus Blast and can KO with U-Turn. Jirachi also can do this altough it is a 2HKO. Sableye, altough rare is immune to all of Reuniclus's attacks. Spiritomb is immune as well. Anything with decent power and a Physical move that is Super Effective can wipe you out easily. Also this set is destroyed by Wobbufet.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p> Life Orb is Great for the 30% power boost but Leftovers keep you alive. Shadow Ball is a okay option for eliminating the Lati twins, Wobbufet and Burungeru although there is often no space for it as Focus Blast is very important is important to it.</p>

[SET]
name: Trick Room Sweeper
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Psychic / Psycho Shock
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Shadow Ball
item: Life Orb
nature: Quiet
evs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p> This set allows you to switch in, set up Trick Room and start sweeping. Psychic is your main STAB taking out bulky Fighting Types like Roobpushin. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast give this set unresisted coverage ,taking out Ghost and Dark Types respectively. This set is best to use if you are trying to Support the team and Sweep.</p>

<p> The choice between Psychic and Psycho Shock depends on your team. Psychic helps you take out Hippodown and Roopushin better whilst Psycho Shock hurts Blissey and Snorlax a lot. The EV's and Nature maximise your Speed and Special Attack in Trick Room while increasing your Bulk to set it up.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p> You can run Recover to keep you alive longer, but you do have Magic Guard. Hidden Power Fighting is a more reliable option that Focus Blast, but the Power Drop is just not worth it. If Scizor and Jiachi are problems to your team, you can lure them out and hit them hard with a Hidden Power Fire altough otherwise it is useless. Hidden Power Ice hits the common Gliscors, Landlos and Dragons</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Psycho Shock / Psychic
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Specs
nature: Modest

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set allows you to cripple Walls as they switch in. Blissey will not appreciate Choice Specs limiting their options. It also makes a good check to Calm Mind Jirachi, Suicune and also Curselax. When not being tricked Choice Specs boosts your Special Attack to huge levels, which allows you to sweep with ease. Psycho Shock is the main choose as physical Walls are handled with ease with it's high special attack stat.</p>

<p>Sadly this set requires a lot of prediction. If you use Psycho Shock Tyranitar will switch in and set up a Dragon Dance, Focus Blast Shandeera and Calm Mind and finally Shadow Ball Scizor and Swords Dance. Rankurusu is slow, meaning it can be revenge killed fast as well.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p> As mentioned in other sets you can run Hidden Power Fighting over Focus Blast but usally the power drop is not worth it. You could also Trick a Flame Orb or Toxic Orb</p>

[TEAM OPTIONS]
<p> Good Teammates are bulky Fighting Types. Roopushin is a good partner as it can Mach Punch Tyranitar, Kirkizan and other Pursuiters removing them. Also it can set up Bulk Ups on Blissey and Snorlax ready to sweep. Shandeera can make good use of Trick Room, and eliminate Scizor and Jirachi with a Fire Blast. </p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]
<p>One other option is a Team supporter. This set is the same as the Calm Mind and Recover Set, but with Calm Mind replaced with a support move. Thunder Wave is good as it can Cripple Switch Ins, Ruining their chances of a sweep. Rain Dance or Sunny Day is the move to use if you run one of these teams.</p>

<p>Rankurusu can run a Bulky set which sets up Dual Screens or Thunder Wave but with it's typing is much better suited to having a more offensive role. Rankurusu can use Subsitute to ease prediction but can not find room for it on most sets. Also Thunder and Grass Knot can be used to take Ground and Water types.</p>

[COUNTERS]
<p> Rankurusu is hindered by it's typing which gives it a weakness to common attack types. Tyranitar can switch in and Pursuit Rankurusu while all it can do back is fire a unreliable Focus Blast. Jirachi and Metagross resist Rankurusu's STAB and takes little damage from all of it's attacks. Scizor and Shubargo can set up Swords Dance's to take out Rankurusu as Focus Blast does not do much
Calm Mind and Roar Latias can Calm Mind along side and then Roar you out. you out. Latios can use Trick to lock you into one move. Blissey has to watch out for Psycho Shock but otherwise can switch in and Shadow Ball. Spiritomb is immune to Fighting- and Ghost- attacks and can return a powerful Dark move back.</p>

[DREAM WORLD]
<p> Rankurusu gets Regeneration from the Dream World which is good on Choice Sets,but it already has Recover and Magic Guard.</p>

Since you have alot of sets it might be worth telling you this now before it gets further complicated. The EV spread order should always be:

HP / Atk / Def / SpA / SpD / Spe

Interesting analysis you got there

I've been using this guy a lot.

Leftovers should be an option on the Calm Mind + Recover Set. He also doesn't need Psycho Shock on that set because he beats Bliss/Chansey anyway, Psychic is better in my experience.

That is the informal anylsis. I have asked Colnel M if I can write the formal version and he said yes.

Due to Rankurusu's high HP, it's actually better to run 192 HP/64 Def than 252 HP/4 Def to maximize overall bulk. (You can see for yourself here.) I usually run 180 HP/76 Def to give Rankurusu nearly identical Defenses but it has one more point in SpDef so Genosect can't get a SpAtk boost off of you. (If we're not concerned with it right now due to it being an unreleased event, then just make the Defenses equal.)

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I will edit that in.

Somalia: the laregest evs are listed first.
No. EVs go in the listed order. you can often see 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe spreads. That is how it is supposed to be for any analysis that is going to be uploaded.

in case you missed it

Rankurusu
http://veekun.com/dex/pokemon/rankurusu

[Overview]

[SET]
name: Trick Room Sweeper
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Psychic / Psycho Shock
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Shadow Ball
nature: Quiet
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p> This set allows you to switch in, set up Trick Room and start sweeping. Psychic is your main STAB taking out bulky Fighting Types like Roobpushin and Arceus-Fighting. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast give this set unresisted coverage.,taking out Ghost and Dark Types respectively. This set is best to use if you are trying to Support the team and Sweep.</p>
But, you should mention more Uber pokemon, and remove mentions of pokemon like Snorlax and Suicune, who...aren't Uber material. For example, the last two sets are outclassed by Mewtwo, Magic Guard or not, and imo should be in OC.

Can I just leave this a week until we can post for ou. I have tested this in the ou metagame and dont won't to spend a week retesting it again when soon it will be outdated.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can I just leave this a week until we can post for ou. I have tested this in the ou metagame and dont won't to spend a week retesting it again when soon it will be outdated.
We don't have a proper OU metagame that is recognised by the site yet, and it might be a few more weeks before we finally have stuff for OU.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[SET]
name: Calm Mind + Recover
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Recover
move 3: Psychic / Psycho Shock
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting
nature: Bold
Those EVs give you stats of:

409 HP
222 Def
349 SpA

A spread of Modest 192 HP / 188 Def / 128 SpA gives you:

409 HP
233 Def
349 SpA

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I think there should be a mention of a more defensive EV spread on the Calm Mind set. Even with no special attack and a LO, Rankurusu still OHKOs Rohpushin with Psychic, and with more defense EVs, it can survive a Crunch from ScarfTar much more easily:

Bold
252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe

This spread also works if you want more initial power:

Modest
252 HP/240 Def/16 SpA

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've used CM + Recover Rankurusu extensively and I can say that Bold, 252 HP / 252 Def, Leftovers is by far the best option. Psycho Shock is completely pointless when its only use (outside of something far fetched like beating CM Suicune in a CM war) is to beat Blissey. Blissey can do absolutely nothing to you due to Magic Guard while you can 2HKO with +6 Psychic (50.6% - 59.7%). Shadow Ball should be the primary option in the fourth slot (to hit other Rankurusu, Latios, Latias, etc.) followed by Hidden Power Fighting and Focus Blast. This set should also be the first one in the analysis.

I've used CM + Recover Rankurusu extensively and I can say that Bold, 252 HP / 252 Def, Leftovers is by far the best option. Psycho Shock is completely pointless when its only use (outside of something far fetched like beating CM Suicune in a CM war) is to beat Blissey. Blissey can do absolutely nothing to you due to Magic Guard while you can 2HKO with +6 Psychic (50.6% - 59.7%). Shadow Ball should be the primary option in the fourth slot (to hit other Rankurusu, Latios, Latias, etc.) followed by Hidden Power Fighting and Focus Blast. This set should also be the first one in the analysis.
I mostly agree with this post, Rankurusu makes a better defensive pivot against fighting types with the 252 HP/ 252 Def Bold spread - Rankurusu isn't fast enough to go for the "earlier sweep" which max sp.atk provides, so he appreciates taking hits better.

The problem is your standard 4 moveslot syndrome; if you ditch Psychic for the better coverage of Ghost/Fighting, then you lose majorly on power and on your ability to counter fighting types. If you run Psychic/Fighting move, you get walled hard by Spiritomb and Sableye (perhaps the best option, as those are rare). Running Psychic/Ghost leaves you vulnerable to TTar and some steel types, although most of those steels have a hard time hurting you (skarmory phazes you for fun though). I guess each of us will pick the moveset that applies to them the most. CM Rankurusu is definitely the dominant set though, and not TRoom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)