Music for studying?

Do you listen to music while studying/doing homework?

• Yes

Votes: 66 76.7%
  • No, it's a distraction

Votes: 20 23.3%

• Total voters
Whenever i'm doing homework or studying i like to listen to music, the thing is that my playlist is too... lyrical?, and lyrics=distraction, i have no trouble with sounds tough, so i'm trying to get some sort of music that not necessarily is for concentrating but that is somewhat calm, and maybe, but not necessarily, with no voice. I know there's a name for voiceless songs but i can't remember right now :S.

And for guidance of the kind of music i like:

-Arctic monkeys
-Arcade fire
-Strokes
-Yeah Yeah Yeahs
-Hot Hot Heat
-The Killers

Instrumental songs you mean?

The only time I don't listen to music while studying is if I'm reading something. I can't concentrate at all if I'm reading, because usually the reading is pretty dry. It doesn't matter if they're singing or not, because I don't listen to lyrics, I just listen to the sound of the singer. I probably shouldn't, because I often end up getting pulled into the music and end up grabbing my bass and playing along, but I think I would go crazy if I didn't get to listen to music all the time (aka when I'm doing homework - all the time).

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Honestly, I listen to whatever I listen to regularly, with a bit more emphasis on Classical music. Sometimes it's sonatas, symphonies, etudes; other times, I listen to hip hop, movie soundtracks, video game soundtracks and other random stuff. Just listen to what makes you feel comfortable.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
I don't really listen to music while doing homework, but I frequently have a song stuck in my head. For some reason, I Am the Walrus by the Beatles puts me in the math-homework mood.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I highly recommend post rock. I used to have the exact same problem as you, so I never used to study to music. Now I pretty much can't study without post-rock. And I used to like all those bands you listed so give my advice a shot (except I still love Arcade Fire and the Strokes)

If you don't know post-rock is mostly instrumental music based on creating soundscapes, with huge dynamic changes and several movements. Songs can hit 20+ minutes, which is perfect for studying as you just put it on and don't worry about it. You will focus in and out of it, and you sometimes wont even remember it is on until it hits a huge forte and you are just like fuck yeah this is awesome.

For starters check out Explosions in the Sky, although better stuff exists (Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Sigur Ros, Talk Talk)

I don't listen to music while studying and I don't plan on doing it in the future. It's just too much of a distraction for me, lyrical or not, and I always end up thinking about something else, and concentrating becomes really hard.

I usually listen to music when I work; for me it's either it or listen to TV, my sister talking, etc, which I find more distracting (we live in a small apartment due to school). What I listen is usually whatever I get the urge to, expect any sort of rap/hip-hop: The emphasis on lyrics usually distracts me and then I only listen to the song instead of doing my homework.

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I usually listen to music while working; that or a podcast. Lyrics don't really affect me, but I'd recommend slower, more spaced out songs. I'd say something like post-BSSM RHCP, songs such as Californication, Road Trippin' or Death of a Martian.

If you're looking for instrumentals, I'd go with Rush (following Jackal's advice on post-rock). Things like YYZ, La Villa Strangiato and Leave That Thing Alone, or maybe (non-instrumental) the 20:33 epic 2112.

i usually listen to bay area (hyphy) music pretty much all the time and a lot when i study. i really like Andre Nickatina specifically this song. its not really hyphy music or nothing but its got a good sound and he's probably one of my top 5 artists of all time of any genre.

I'm always listening to music whilst doing any work. I find any type/ genre helps. I also find particular types help depending on what work I'm doing. Usually slower, iiregular timed bars like 3/4 100cpm work great for english, whilst for maths I prefer more steady melodic pieces. Don't try and compose whilst listening to music though, heh. It's also great to visualise the sheet music in the mind and then almost work in-tandem with it, and in doing so you find almost every great song has interesting mathematical properties. I find life without music to be rather dull, even if it's not "on", musics always running through my head while I'm doing almost anything. The only time I stop humming/ listening is when I have my sandwich break. Music mixes well with anything BUT making the perfect sandwich. Study without music is possible, but not recommended. It's analogous to writing notes in different colours, the more senses you involve in learning and working, the better the work becomes (usually).

pookar

Banned deucer.
i listen to whatever im in the mood for and while i dont always listen to music while hw/studying, it doesnt distract me and sometimes i work better with it

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I LOVE to listen to music when studying, but to be honest I am fairly certain I am more productive without it.

That being said, I have no objective proof of this, it just seems as if it is harder for me to work, much as it is harder for me to read if I lie on my bed than if I sit upright in my desk.

Radiohead probably has the best homework music ever, tbh.

Fake Plastic Trees, How to Dissappear Completely, Let Down, Street Spirit, Hail to the Thief, Reckoner (Especially Reckoner), just to name a few.

Radiohead + Math & Science homework = Sex

as far as chill post rock goes, I feel like Dirty Three would be neat, also not post rock, but Low would be chill to listen to as well.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
I listen to instrumental music when I have reading assignments. I notice I generally read at a quicker pace and don't absorb any less of the material.

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
when the work i'm studying is repetitive and easy i listen to music, but when i actually have to think analytically i usually have to turn it off to concentrate

I find it hardest to concentrate when you get songs you want to sing along to. Therefore, if I'm listening to music while I'm studying, I want to listen to something without lyrics and hopefully something I don't know. I started listening to classical music because of it but I find myself anticipating the melody/thinking about how it pulls on heart strings now lol so that's no longer a great option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)