Weezing

doesnt weezing shut down some of the top physical threats this gen?
Damn straight. For starters, Doryuzu can barely do diddly to Weezing and only gets WoW'd for its efforts, if not struck down by Flamethrower or Fire Blast. And given the apparant popularity of Doryuzu, that's pretty big right there.

In fact, now that it has a means of boosting Special Defense, it can pretty much defend on both sides this time around.

With Weezing's awesome of awesomeness, it boggles my mind why this Pokemon isn't more popular.

A +3 stockpile will put Weezing's defense at about 900 and sp def. at about 500. Provided that he is relaxed with max IVs. I've actually caused plenty of rage quits with this guy on a rain dance team.

The problem is getting all the Stockpiles up before the enemy sends in a Psychic-carrier to shut down Weezing. It's kind of like Shinpora with Assist Power and Cosmic Power. But if you can pull it off, I agree that it's really effective. Also, is there something to replace HP(Water) with on 'Weezing in the Rain"? When B/W comes out in English I plan to use it as a competitive Pokemon but as a cartridge player I can't be stuffed getting perfect values for it. Please help?

The problem is getting all the Stockpiles up before the enemy sends in a Psychic-carrier to shut down Weezing. It's kind of like Shinpora with Assist Power and Cosmic Power. But if you can pull it off, I agree that it's really effective. Also, is there something to replace HP(Water) with on 'Weezing in the Rain"? When B/W comes out in English I plan to use it as a competitive Pokemon but as a cartridge player I can't be stuffed getting perfect values for it. Please help?
You could just SR on a 4th gen game, or RNG abuse (but it doesn't appear that you know how).

Just go with Shadow Ball and your choice of Poison move if you can't get HP Water though, but really, the point of using it in the rain in the first place is to abuse Thunder and HP Water, so...

With Weezing's awesome of awesomeness, it boggles my mind why this Pokemon isn't more popular.
No recovery outside of pain split and rest basically sums it up. If it got recover or something it'd be standard for sure

Also, is there something to replace HP(Water) with on 'Weezing in the Rain"? When B/W comes out in English I plan to use it as a competitive Pokemon but as a cartridge player I can't be stuffed getting perfect values for it. Please help?
Another hidden power sprouts to mind... but if your not in the mood for breeding for HP, then run something like memento or WoW... or if you want, a quiet nature with explosion (its nerfed... but itll still do decent damage i guess). Or else just run fire blast for a "Just in case your rain dies and your fighting scizor" kinda thing

@Sajak. I don't have a clue how to RNG, no. Our Internet is only just getting installed so I have to use the library net for now and never bothered to read about RNGing. I know that's the point of a Rain team, but I was just curious. It might have a surprise factor. What's the name of the RNG thread? I might take a peek. Incidentally, I got a Rain Dance magnetonm with perfect HP(Water) on my first try. Anyway, thanks!
VERY LATE EDIT:Thanks, leingodf8. I'm planning on Memento to shut down any threats that will possibly use the rain to their ultimate advantage. I guess it isn't really a Weezing in the Rain, but it should be a surprise...

Weazing is going to be OU for awhile and if not OU he will defenittly be BL as with StockPile he is a beast. Now all Nintendo has to do next Generation is give Weezing Recover, and Stockpile and he will be set to troll the metagame.

breh

強いだね
No recovery outside of pain split and rest basically sums it up. If it got recover or something it'd be standard for sure
Lackluster Special defense was also an issue when I played with it on my wifi team. Oh and a shitty stab type is unfortunate too.

If weezing was electric/poison with recover and SpD equaling its defense, it would be a lot better, lol

But it's still a spectacular counter to physical threats as it is, and I'm fine with that. Poison+levitate is fantastic typing+ability and fire blast/thunderbolt are valued additions to its movepool.

doesnt weezing shut down some of the top physical threats this gen?
A lot of them, honestly. Depending on moveset, Weezing can shut down or beat Doryuuzu, Roobushin without Guts activated (or with Guts but without Bulk Up), physical Dragonite without Outrage or Life Orb, Zuruzukin, pure physical Venusaur, attacking Nattorei, physical Lucario, Scarf Garchomp, Scizor, Birjion, Coablon, Kojondo, Breloom if something else is already sleeping, Heracross if you want to count it, Gyarados if you want to count that, and Mamoswine.

There are still many physical attackers that Weezing can't switch in on (Blaziken, Hihidaruma, Landlos, Cloyster, Salamence, Terakion, Metagross, Tyranitar, probably more...), but every wall has its holes and I think it's in a pretty good position overall. It would be incredible if only it had Recover, but it's not too bad to settle for Pain Split and maybe Wish support from Jirachi or something.

@Sajak. I don't have a clue how to RNG, no. Our Internet is only just getting installed so I have to use the library net for now and never bothered to read about RNGing. I know that's the point of a Rain team, but I was just curious. It might have a surprise factor. What's the name of the RNG thread? I might take a peek. Incidentally, I got a Rain Dance magnetonm with perfect HP(Water) on my first try. Anyway, thanks!
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52180

There's the thread for you. As another user suggested, you might just want to go with a Fire attack if you can't get an HP.

Levitate is Weezing's normal ability. It has no DW ability.
Yeah, I was being sarcastic. I was getting tired of people saying "How do you get Sleep talk on that?" It's happened every time I post sleep talk.

With regards to Weezing itself, I think you're probably right and WoW is unnecessary. Roobushin is one of the main threats it would come in on, and WoW doesn't help you, and neither does Clear Smog. Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, Toxic/Clear Smog and Pain Split is probably the way to go.

With regards to psychic, most things that get it are running psycho shock, and targeting your physical defense anyway, so I don't think SD investment is as important.

Although the addition of stockpile could help it tank, I really can't find room on the moveset.

In OU 4th gen I was able to troll fairly well running max defense with WoW, taunt, flamethrower, and pain split.

taunt is almost necessary to stop weezing from being set-up bait, and if you plan on stalling for a while it gains importance. with this set, even if shandera comes in on you you can taunt it before it starts boosting, so it'll be forced to kill you if it wants to boost.

Although the addition of stockpile could help it tank, I really can't find room on the moveset.

In OU 4th gen I was able to troll fairly well running max defense with WoW, taunt, flamethrower, and pain split.

taunt is almost necessary to stop weezing from being set-up bait, and if you plan on stalling for a while it gains importance. with this set, even if shandera comes in on you you can taunt it before it starts boosting, so it'll be forced to kill you if it wants to boost.
Instead of Taunt maybe you can run Clear Smog, it resets stat boosts like Haze (so they cant set up on you) and deals a bit of damage.

Problem with Stockpile (that goes for any purely defensive boosters) is that it's incredibly easy to just phaze it out. Once phazers/taunters are gone, it can really shine, but if opponent has any of those, stockpile is pretty much wasted moveslot.

breh

強いだね
problem with stockpile is that it doesn't do anything.

See: cresselia if you removed the attack boosts of CM

problem with stockpile is that it doesn't do anything.

See: cresselia if you removed the attack boosts of CM
But it also makes it harder to take Weezing down. The only problems are:
-Phazers (as said before)
-Lack of reliable recovery outside of Pain Split and Rest to abuse the boosts.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Add critical hits to that list of problems...At this point I'm convinced that they aren't hax. They're simply components of pretty much every match you'll ever have.

I tested Weezing alongside Umbreon and I must say it was somewhat underwhelming. In theory they complement each other well - one physical wall and one special wall, resisting each other's weaknesses. However, the problem is their lack of offensive strength. Weezing's Flamethrower failed to 2HKO a Doryuuzu once, and I got 2HKOed by another's LO Rock Slide. Yes it can beat Roobushin one-on-one, and is a good switch-in to stuff like Kojondo and Scizor. But it lets itself get set up on too much, and its coverage is poor with only two moves (and a lame STAB type).

Add critical hits to that list of problems...At this point I'm convinced that they aren't hax. They're simply components of pretty much every match you'll ever have.
thats very true, especially since if your walling over a long time, the more times you get hit, the more chances to be critted

Weezing's trouble is getting against stall mew Deoxys-D core when i face it.
They try to beat my dory but i switch my hippowdon who walls it(hippo walls sub split gengar with bit of spD to show its bulk) D knock him off and mew burn taunt oost him in tandem with D
otherwise it good choice to beat SS weather swepeer(beware of some rando though)

As another user suggested, you might just want to go with a Fire attack if you can't get an HP.
The guy's planning to use Weezing on a rain team. Fire attacks are something of a no-no. Why do you think I never suggested any Fire attacks on that set in the first place?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)