Wobbuffet (Analysis) [QC 0/3]

[OVERVIEW]
<p>Wobbuffet is a Pokémon with amazing support capabilities that takes advantage of its high defences and ability, Shadow Tag, to trap and weaken, with Tickle, or outright kill using a combination of Encore, Counter and Mirror Coat. </p>

[SET]
name: Oh no, it's Wobbuffet!
move 1: Counter
move 2: Mirror Coat
move 3: Encore
move 4: Safeguard / Tickle
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
Nature: Bold / Calm
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Def / 228 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is the classic Wobbuffet set which uses its amazing bulk to trap and kill a ridiculous amount of Pokémon. Wobbuffet works best against Pokémon that you either know are or believe to be scarfed; after Wobbuffet switches into these Pokémon he will be able to use either Mirror Coat or Counter to kill the Pokémon as it will be unable to switch out or change moves. If their Pokémon is choiced but not scarfed Wobbuffet can still do the same thing but will take much more damage. If the opposing Pokémon is not choiced Wobbuffet can use Encore to lock that Pokémon into one move and then use Counter or Mirror Coat to finish it off. However if the opposing Pokémon uses a non-damaging move Wobbuffet can either switch out to a set up Pokémon or tickle them down until they can be taken out by a pursuit user such as Tyranitar, Snorlax, Waruvial or even Scizor. Safeguard helps Wobbuffet against status which cripples him and lets you switch a sweeper in on an Encored status with no fear. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>This set provides an almost guaranteed kill on any Pokémon that threatens a teammate’s sweep or is in any other way a danger to your team. The new team preview feature is a large help to Wobbuffet as it allows you to prioritize threats. </p>

[TEAMMATES AND COUNTERS]
<p>As has been mentioned Wobbuffet needs to be accompanied by a pursuit user if it is to take full advantage of Tickle and set up sweepers also make good partners because Wobbuffet can lock an opposing Pokémon into a non-damaging move to get a free switch in and set up turn; on top of this Wobbuffet can easily remove scarfed Pokémon - some teams biggest checks to certain sweepers. </p>

<p>Wobbuffet can’t be countered as nothing can switch into it because of Shadow Tag. </p>

[TEAM OPTIONS]
<p>As mentioned earlier Wobbuffet functions best in conjunction with a Pursuit user and a sweeper that is either frail, weak to common scarfed threats or needs time to set up, some good examples would be Doryuuzu, Blaziken and Terakion. Considering that Wobbuffet usually only gets one chance to come in and deal with an opposing Pokémon due to damage taken using Encore and/or CounterCoat wish support is greatly appreciated and can often give him a second chance. A rapid spinner is very useful as well because it get rid of Toxic spikes and other residual damage which only hamper Wobbuffet further. A Pokémon with U-turn or Volt Change will help get Wobbuffet in without taking any damage and ensure the right Pokémon for Wobbuffet to revenge is on the field. </p>

[OPTIONAL CHANGES]
<p>Wobbuffet’s move pool is very shallow and there aren’t really any other options. </p>

[COUNTERS]
<p> While Wobbuffet can’t normally be countered by anything, it is true that if Wobbuffet switches in on a Shed Shell Pokémon then he can be countered. Wobbuffet also has trouble against U-turn users as they will be able to switch out and deal super effective damage. Any Physical attacking ghost Pokémon or special attacking Dark Pokémon is untouchable by Wobbuffet and can respond with a super effective attack. Some great examples are Darkrai and Spirtomb, whom Wobbuffet can’t do anything to. Furthermore any taunt user completely shuts down Wobbuffet; a bulky Taunt Gyarados is a good example. Also, if Wobbuffet is low on health after a kill he can be taken out by a powerful pursuit user. </p>

[DREAM WORLD]
<p>Wobbuffet gets Telepathy as its dream world ability which does nothing outside of double and triple battles. Moreover, even if Telepathy did something more relevant Wobbuffet would be useless without its trapping ability. </p>

Maybe still a way off finished tell me what you think.

I'd mention Safeguard. Wobbuffet is crippled by Toxic, and an Encored status move with Safeguard can set up an easy switch.

Also, I'd check your spelling and grammar. Specifically, "Wobbuffet" is spelt with two f's.

For Team Options, add a Rapid Spinner: Wobbuffet hates Toxic Spikes.

Finally, for Counters, a decent Taunter can shut down Wobbuffet, or can at least force a switch while the Taunter sets up.

Could you mention Custap Berry + Destiny Bond ? When Wob is at low health it basically guarantees a kill with priority on D-Bond lol.

Goggle: you mean wobbuffet...
1-Being serious, the pokemon name is incorrect, it has two "ff". Also try adding a picture since it's a necessity when making analyses. Since we are supposed to follow the model of how to do it. here.

2-After that, i believe a slash shall be made dedicated to safeguard, mainly cause it's difficult for the wi-fi players to get a legit tickle wobbufet, ans it's his only other option. Also try adding a paragraph about the good points in using safeguard, or why we should be using tickle over it.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
This might sound petty but I really hate the name 'ScarfKiller,' it sounds like some kind of Sith Lord. Can we just go with the classic 'Oh no, it's Wobbuffet!' or just the generic 'Standard.'

Could you mention Custap Berry + Destiny Bond ? When Wob is at low health it basically guarantees a kill with priority on D-Bond lol.
That sounds interesting, but would fail if the Pokemon is not locked into a move, they would see the berry activate and use a move like DD or SD.

Despite this i still think this is a good idea, Voted to Have it slashed in with the set!

In the overview, "Shadow Tag" should be capitalized.

In the overview, the fragment "...to trap and weaken, with pursuit..." makes no sense in the context you placed it in. I "understood" it to mean that once you Encore you can switch to a Pursuiter (oh, "pursuit" should be capitalized as well) and weaken the previously trapped Pokemon, but this is just a horrible way of putting it as it sounds like Wobbuffet is the one doing the Pursuiting.

"Wobbufet works best against Pokémon that you either know are, or believe to be scarfed" - no need for the comma between "are" and "or."

"teammates sweep" - you need a possessive apostrophe here (teammate's sweep as teammate is singular in this instance)

"are some teams" - some teams'

" A great example would be a swords dance Doryuuzu with a Chople berry Wobbufet could allow him to come in on an encored toxic or an electric attack while killing extremely fast scarfers and letting him use a Chople berry to let him beat is most common checks in Breloom, Roobushin and Lucario. "

Horrible. Not only is it a run-on but it seemed really rushed. It should read:

A great example would be a Swords Dance Doryuuzu with a Chople Berry. Wobbuffet allows him to come in after an Encored Toxic or an Electric attack, letting him set up a free Swords Dance. Wobbuffet also kills its major counters, fast scarfers, while also allowing him to use his Chople Berry to let him beat his most common checks - Breloom, Roobushin and Lucario.

The Optional Changes part is also poorly written. Changes in order:
Destiny Bond, not dstiny bond. Take out the word "cheap" before "kill." Change it to "an inferior option," you're being needlessly wordy. Put a comma after "competitive." "First" over "frit." Put a comma after "better." The idiom is "from a mile away" not "from a while away (lol?)." "Leftovers" over "leftover." Delete everything after that semicolon, it's useless and obvious. He also doesn't lose "bulk," he loses "survivability." Put a comma after "also."

Under "Counters," you want a comma in place of that semicolon. Please review the difference between them. Change the last sentence to "Also, if Wobbuffet is low on health after a kill he can be taken out by a powerful pursuit user" instead of what you have.

That sounds interesting, but would fail if the Pokemon is not locked into a move, they would see the berry activate and use a move like DD or SD.

Despite this i still think this is a good idea, Voted to Have it slashed in with the set!
I don't know if this is how it works on Wifi, but on Pokémon Online, the message saying the berry has activated occurs on the same turn it is used; i.e. the opponent doesn't know about Custap Berry until they've been DBonded. It's actually rather effective; I recently replaced it with Leftovers and Safeguard and have regretted the change quite a few times.

Agreeing with Lee, "Oh no, it's Wobbuffet!" is a better name for the set and is thats been used for it for awhile.

Custap + Dbond should be the main option on this set IMO, its very good and hard to pass on. In such an offensively paced metagame, it has plenty of uses.

I don't know if this is how it works on Wifi, but on Pokémon Online, the message saying the berry has activated occurs on the same turn it is used; i.e. the opponent doesn't know about Custap Berry until they've been DBonded. It's actually rather effective; I recently replaced it with Leftovers and Safeguard and have regretted the change quite a few times.
No, Custap berry activates the turn you hit berry range. Allowing you to have priority the next turn. your opponent will see that your berry activated and can choose a move the turn you have priority. This is the turn you destiny bond.

Ah, alright. I guess that's something that needs to be fixed on PO because it really adds to Custap's usefulness.

Although really a person should realize when there's no Leftovers recovery.

No, Custap berry activates the turn you hit berry range. Allowing you to have priority the next turn. your opponent will see that your berry activated and can choose a move the turn you have priority. This is the turn you destiny bond.
Description

The Custap Berry activates when the Pokémon uses a move if the Pokémon began the turn with 25% health or less. On that turn, this Pokémon will move before other Pokémon using moves of the same priority. Higher priority moves will still always go before lower priority moves, regardless of Custap Berry. Using Pursuit against a Pokemon that is switching out does not activate Custap Berry.
Provides a one-time 80 power Ghost attack when a Pokemon holding this item uses Natural Gift.

Please research before making bold statements in the future.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
First, it's "Wobbuffet".

Second, considering the amount of discussion that has already taken place about Wobb and will certainly come up again with it being brought back down to OU, I think this needs to be much more detailed. Wobbuffet isn't just a scarfkiller. That set can, with the right EV spread, also completely shut down stall teams and give deadly pokemon free chances to sweep.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/wobbuffet

Seriously, that is a really good analysis and you should definitely use it as a guideline in making this one. The comments and strategies to use with Wobbuffet are detailed in ways that show the many different ways to utilize it. It's role isn't just to be sent in randomly on scarfers, it can completely cripple an opponent's team when played right.

It is also one of the best Roobushin counters in the game, which is worthy of a note by itself.

Destiny Bond and Custap deserve slashes on the set.

Pokemon with U-Turn should definitely be mentioned somewhere...either in Counters or Team Options, probably both. U-Turn users are both a huge benefit to Wobb when they're on the same team (Wobb loves free scouted switch-ins) and a huge pain in the ass for Wobb to face. Baton Pass too. It screws up his Encore strategy.

There are also a bunch of grammatical mistakes...moves not capitalized, misspellings, missed punctuation, etc. Go through this again >_>

I saw mentioned on another analysis that Custap Berry is not currently available in Black or White. If this is true, Custap DBond obviously shouldn't be in the analysis.

I'd mention Safeguard. Wobbuffet is crippled by Toxic, and an Encored status move with Safeguard can set up an easy switch.

Also, I'd check your spelling and grammar. Specifically, "Wobbuffet" is spelt with two f's.

For Team Options, add a Rapid Spinner: Wobbuffet hates Toxic Spikes.

Finally, for Counters, a decent Taunter can shut down Wobbuffet, or can at least force a switch while the Taunter sets up.
Thanks I completely forgot about Safeguard, such a large movepool, lol.

Sir Azelf said:
Yeah that was mentioned in optional changes but I have enough support though I don't like it myself so I slashed it.

Lee said:
This might sound petty but I really hate the name 'ScarfKiller,' it sounds like some kind of Sith Lord. Can we just go with the classic 'Oh no, it's Wobbuffet!' or just the generic 'Standard.'
Yeah, sure I couldn't care less.

Rih said:
In the overview, "Shadow Tag" should be capitalized.

In the overview, the fragment "...to trap and weaken, with pursuit..." makes no sense in the context you placed it in. I "understood" it to mean that once you Encore you can switch to a Pursuiter (oh, "pursuit" should be capitalized as well) and weaken the previously trapped Pokemon, but this is just a horrible way of putting it as it sounds like Wobbuffet is the one doing the Pursuiting.

"Wobbufet works best against Pokémon that you either know are, or believe to be scarfed" - no need for the comma between "are" and "or."

"teammates sweep" - you need a possessive apostrophe here (teammate's sweep as teammate is singular in this instance)

"are some teams" - some teams'

" A great example would be a swords dance Doryuuzu with a Chople berry Wobbufet could allow him to come in on an encored toxic or an electric attack while killing extremely fast scarfers and letting him use a Chople berry to let him beat is most common checks in Breloom, Roobushin and Lucario. "

Horrible. Not only is it a run-on but it seemed really rushed. It should read:

A great example would be a Swords Dance Doryuuzu with a Chople Berry. Wobbuffet allows him to come in after an Encored Toxic or an Electric attack, letting him set up a free Swords Dance. Wobbuffet also kills its major counters, fast scarfers, while also allowing him to use his Chople Berry to let him beat his most common checks - Breloom, Roobushin and Lucario.

The Optional Changes part is also poorly written. Changes in order:
Destiny Bond, not dstiny bond. Take out the word "cheap" before "kill." Change it to "an inferior option," you're being needlessly wordy. Put a comma after "competitive." "First" over "frit." Put a comma after "better." The idiom is "from a mile away" not "from a while away (lol?)." "Leftovers" over "leftover." Delete everything after that semicolon, it's useless and obvious. He also doesn't lose "bulk," he loses "survivability." Put a comma after "also."

Under "Counters," you want a comma in place of that semicolon. Please review the difference between them. Change the last sentence to "Also, if Wobbuffet is low on health after a kill he can be taken out by a powerful pursuit user" instead of what you have.
Wow thanks for a deatailed grammer check!

Fizz said:
I saw mentioned on another analysis that Custap Berry is not currently available in Black or White. If this is true, Custap DBond obviously shouldn't be in the analysis.
This may be true but Serebii says otherwise so I'll keep it in.

One last thing can't believe everyon has had soooo much succes with Custap Berry, in my experience it's just so obvious that it ends up being ineffective. Though sometimes it let me get in a fast encore when I'm low on health as they go to change moves.

Sorry to bump this guys but I think i need some more advice anyways and noones given opinions since I updated it so...

Yes, sorry everyone I have discovered that this actually is true and serebii was wrong?! The OP has been updated to hopefully reflect this, if you see an mentions of Custap / Dbond please let me know. thanks :)

Ahhhhhh......Clefable said:
I think you need to mention that Wobbuffet loves Wish support in the teammate section.
Thankyou, can't believe I left it out, it has been worked into the team options section.

Encore was nerfed to 3 turns max this gen, which makes Encoring a status move then Safeguarding not very effective as it once was...

Turn 1: Lugia uses Toxic, Wobbuffet uses Encore.
Turn 2: Lugia uses Toxic, Wobbuffet uses Safeguard.
Turn 3: Wobbuffet switches out to boosting sweeper, Lugia uses Toxic.
Turn 4: Sweeper boosts, Lugia uses Toxic, Encore ended
Turn 5: Lugia survives/outspeeds and does something horrible to said sweeper.

Replace Lugia and Toxic with Giratina and Will-O-Wisp, or StallTwo and Will-O-Wisp, or whatever they're using these days. In gen IV, Encore meant a complete shut down for the wall long enough for the sweeper to boost once and wreck the switch-in, or boost twice and KO/outspeed wall should the wall stay in.

Encore was nerfed to 3 turns max this gen, which makes Encoring a status move then Safeguarding not very effective as it once was...

Turn 1: Lugia uses Toxic, Wobbuffet uses Encore.
Turn 2: Lugia uses Toxic, Wobbuffet uses Safeguard.
Turn 3: Wobbuffet switches out to boosting sweeper, Lugia uses Toxic.
Turn 4: Sweeper boosts, Lugia uses Toxic, Encore ended
Turn 5: Lugia survives/outspeeds and does something horrible to said sweeper.

Replace Lugia and Toxic with Giratina and Will-O-Wisp, or StallTwo and Will-O-Wisp, or whatever they're using these days. In gen IV, Encore meant a complete shut down for the wall long enough for the sweeper to boost once and wreck the switch-in, or boost twice and KO/outspeed wall should the wall stay in.
I don't think you realize Wobbuffet is OU this gen.

Rhys DeAnno

Slacking Off
Since Custap is unreleased, mentions of Custap+DBond should probably go into the Dream World section for now. That combo has some definite uses, and in an emergency can let you do ridiculous things like switch into Specs Latios Draco Meteor and kill it next turn, not to mention generally ease prediction by letting you encore in a situation where you would normally be 2HKOed, and then Dbond the next turn.

Incidentally, just in case some people don't understand, the Custap Destiny Trap is double sided: When under 25% health, you Dbond as Custap activates. If the opponent uses a setup move, then you choose encore on the next turn. If the opponent chooses to kill you on the turn after Dbond, it'll go first since Custap is used up and trigger Destiny Bond, killing itself. If it sets up again with a second DD or whatever, then it gets encored.

Lastly, a mention of Destiny Bond even without Custap might be a good idea. Destiny Bond can ease prediction against mixed attackers such as Deoxys-S and Kingdra (as long as they dont have setup or very low damage moves such as Rapid Spin). It could also be useful against slower things like Nattorei if you're at low health and would get 2-3HKOed trying to encore it into an attack and counter it afterward.

Wobbuffet's Dream World ability does have 2 good uses
1. it can help in double and triple battle
2. if Wobbuffet gets banned to ubers again for its ability, Dream World varients might just be the ticket out

What's above is not really necessary in your analysis until Wobbuffet gets banned to ubers (which it hasn't yet).

Personally, I prefer a Bold nature the EV spread of 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD to provide maximum healing and even defences.

Destiny Bond can be slipped into the optional changes but it's not advisable considering Wobbuffet's abysmal speed. Like everyone is saying, I would give mention to the Cutsap Berry however the lack of Leftovers gives the berry away and it would go good in the optional changes as well.

As far as teammates go, those with Baton Pass can help a lot. Smeargle can Baton Pass Ingrain, Vaporeon can Baton Pass Aqua Ring, and then there's a long list full of defence boosters. Teammates with Wish help a lot too. Entry hazards of your own are also a big plus.

Also, I would like someone to tell me where it gets Tickle from (and it can be replaced with Charm but the effect isn't as great).

We are not writing analyses from the Double and Triple Battle point of view.

Tickle is an event move for Wynuat, by the way.

Moving on to the analysis. You have two sections named Counters; namely remove Counters from the Teammates section.

Do not leave spaces between the last full stop of a paragraph, and the </p> tag. You got this wrong everywhere in the analysis.

However if the opposing Pokémon uses a non-damaging move Wobbuffet can either switch out to a set up Pokémon or keep reducing their Attack and Defense stats with Tickle until they can be taken out by a pursuit user such as Tyranitar, Snorlax, Waruvial or even Scizor.
Change in Bold. ''Tickling down a foe'' is improper grammar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)