Smeargle

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I read on Spider Web and Mean Look on Bulbapedia and they said that if you switch with Baton Pass, the opponent won't be trapped. In other words, SW and ML can't be Baton Passed anymore.

I'd change the set for something like this:
-Shell Break/Curse
-Spore
-Recycle
-Baton Pass
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: White Herb
Ability: Own Tempo
No need for Curse+White Herb when you can learn Bulk Up.

So, it's just Shell Break, then?
I don't see why Smeargle would want to pass anything other than Shell Break, Belly Drum, and Ingrain. Sure Tail Glow and Butterfly Dance could be good, but Shell Break is usually better than them and other Pokemon can pass them as well.

im loving inconsistent, but mainly as a porygon2 lead stealing it

the smeargle slept me when i mis-predicted and went to attack rather than magic coat, then used entry hazards until i woke up, slept him and he swapped out, since all this took 8 turns; by the time smeargle was gone i already had +5 SPa, +2 ACC, +2 Spe, +4 Def, losing only -1 Att, -1 SpDef and -3 eva, meaning i then continued to sweep half the team resulting in a forfeit

of course there is luck involved, but a baton pass inconsistent seems to be a really fun way to play, since you can minimize how much luck you need by just keep track of the overall rises/loses and pass to who will make most use of it
and of course using a white herb pokemon is the other choice, since it negates all the stat drops upon baton passing to it IIRC; that way you get the stat passing while not losing out on using entry hazards

so all up, smeargle looks more fun to use than before, which is hard to imagine considering how fun he was with the entire movepool of the game at his disposal

People need to remember that passing Shell Break is great and all, but you forget one thing:

Sure, Smeargle's not going to survive more than one hit anyway, but you need to be careful about who you choose to pass Breaks to. You don't want to turn whatever you pick into mincemeat when say, Roopushin comes in after you set up.

Inconsistent might be 'fun', but it's gimmicky. Speaking of the ability, let's say you use Shell Break and you get the ability boosts/lowers, does White Herb negate only the Shell Break ones, or Shell Break + Inconsistent? I'm guessing the former, but if it's the later I guess the ability could work somehow.

White Herb only resets the very first drop you suffer. And I mean ONLY. Pokemon Online seems to only have White Herb reset Defense rather than both Defense and Special Defense after Shell Break, for example.

Inconsistent might be 'fun', but it's gimmicky. Speaking of the ability, let's say you use Shell Break and you get the ability boosts/lowers, does White Herb negate only the Shell Break ones, or Shell Break + Inconsistent? I'm guessing the former, but if it's the later I guess the ability could work somehow.

Inconsistent is surprisingly not gimmicky, assuming the recipient of baton pass is holding a white herb. It negates all the stat drops that have been piled up to the point of herb activating. (atleast this is what I recall from a battle on PO)

Basically with a set like this

Smeargle@Focus Sash/Leftovers/Brightpowder
-Protect
-Substitute
-Magic Coat/Gear Change
-Baton Pass

I've played against this on PO and honestly it is almost impossible to beat if they can get an evasion boost, or a speed boost while still having the health to set up subs, unless you have haze or you're carrying roar or taunt and can predict around magic coat. Seriously after setting up for long enough my opponent BP'ed to Blissey and OHKO'd the rest of my team. At this point my team was ranked at number 1 in ubers and got swept by this so its not exactly gimmicky.

Inconsistent is surprisingly not gimmicky, assuming the recipient of baton pass is holding a white herb. It negates all the stat drops that have been piled up to the point of herb activating. (atleast this is what I recall from a battle on PO)
It must have been one odd Pokemon Online match then, because every time I tried Shell Break Cloyster, White Herb only fixed the Defense stat, not the Special Defense stat. White Herb kicked in on the very first Defense drop, but not the Special.

It must have been one odd Pokemon Online match then, because every time I tried Shell Break Cloyster, White Herb only fixed the Defense stat, not the Special Defense stat. White Herb kicked in on the very first Defense drop, but not the Special.

I was talking about a white herb activating on a Pokemon that was the recipient of a baton pass. In this case a salamance with a white herb. I may still be wrong and it only removes one, but I believe it to be the case that when batoned passed numerous stat debuffs to a pokemon with white herb, the white herb will activate and remove all of them.

also, the thing is you dont choose what boost you get, but you dont need one specific boost, since you have a choice of 5 pokemon to boost it to, if you get defenses, pass to a bulky attacker or a wall, if you get attack and speed, pass to a physical sweeper, etc. etc.

you have to be rather UNlucky to get a set of boosts that wont be very good on at least 1 of your pokemon

oh, and apparently thats a mistake, and in game it restore both if i remember right

EDIT: found a post in the research thread stating that
It activates immediately after the move is performed. Both are dropped at the same time as well. As such, it removes all stat drops from the move. The Smogon server functions incorrectly in this respect.

also, the thing is you dont choose what boost you get, but you dont need one specific boost, since you have a choice of 5 pokemon to boost it to, if you get defenses, pass to a bulky attacker or a wall, if you get attack and speed, pass to a physical sweeper, etc. etc.
The lowers are the concerns, mainly Accuracy and defenses, if White Herb only aids one defense drop and neglects the other of Shell Break you get even worse defenses, and NO Pokemon enjoys an accuracy drop.

EDIT: So defenses are both White Herbed, but still you might get defense drop from the ability, and accuracy drop still sucks.

its not the most reliable strategy in the world, but its also not the most unreliable, and yes it is a "gimmick", but a "gimmick" is not an inherently bad thing as it doesnt stop it being effective if set up right

Just a couple of funny logs showcasing Inconsistent's potential.

Battle between Trumi and Encube started!

Tier: Dream World
Variation: +10, -21
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause

Encube sent out Smeargle!
Trumi sent out Shubarugo!

Start of turn 1
Smeargle used Spore!
The foe's Shubarugo fell asleep!

The foe's Shubarugo is fast asleep!

Smeargle's Inconsistent sharply raises its Attack!
Smeargle's Inconsistent lowers its Sp. Def.!

Start of turn 2
Smeargle used Thunder Wave!
But it failed!

The foe's Shubarugo woke up!
The foe's Shubarugo used Swords Dance!
The foe's Shubarugo's Attack sharply rose!

Smeargle's Inconsistent sharply raises its Attack!
Smeargle's Inconsistent lowers its Defense!

Start of turn 3
Smeargle used Spore!
The foe's Shubarugo fell asleep!

Smeargle's Inconsistent sharply raises its Accuracy!
Smeargle's Inconsistent lowers its Speed!

Start of turn 4
Smeargle used Baton Pass!
Encube called Smeargle back!
Encube sent out Garchomp!

Start of turn 5
Trumi called Shubarugo back!
Trumi sent out Randorosu!

Garchomp used Fire Fang!
A critical hit!
The foe's Randorosu lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Randorosu fainted!

Trumi sent out Torunerosu!

Start of turn 6
The foe's Torunerosu used U-turn!
Garchomp lost 84 HP! (23% of its health)
Garchomp's Rough Skin hurts the foe's Torunerosu
Trumi called Torunerosu back!
Trumi sent out Shubarugo!

Garchomp used Fire Fang!
It's super effective!
The foe's Shubarugo lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Shubarugo fainted!

Trumi sent out Agirudaa!

Start of turn 7
The foe's Agirudaa used Me First!
The foe's Agirudaa used Fire Fang!
It's not very effective...
Garchomp lost 32 HP! (8% of its health)
Garchomp's Rough Skin hurts the foe's Agirudaa

Garchomp used Fire Fang!
It's super effective!
The foe's Agirudaa lost 87% of its health!
The foe's Agirudaa fainted!

Trumi sent out Zuruzukin!

The foe's Zuruzukin intimidates Garchomp!
Garchomp's Attack fell!

Start of turn 8
The foe's Zuruzukin used Fake Out!
Garchomp lost 67 HP! (18% of its health)
Garchomp's Rough Skin hurts the foe's Zuruzukin

Garchomp flinched!

Start of turn 9
Garchomp used Fire Fang!
The foe's Zuruzukin lost 53% of its health!

The foe's Zuruzukin flinched!

Start of turn 10
Garchomp used Fire Fang!
The foe's Zuruzukin lost 34% of its health!
The foe's Zuruzukin fainted!

Trumi sent out Borutorosu!

Start of turn 11
The foe's Borutorosu used Thunder!
It had no effect!

Garchomp used Fire Fang!
The foe's Borutorosu lost 80% of its health!

Start of turn 12
The foe's Borutorosu used Flash Cannon!
Garchomp lost 168 HP! (46% of its health)

Garchomp used Fire Fang!
The foe's Borutorosu lost 19% of its health!
The foe's Borutorosu fainted!

Trumi sent out Torunerosu!

Start of turn 13
The foe's Torunerosu used Air Slash!
Garchomp lost 7 HP! (1% of its health)
Garchomp fainted!

Start of turn 14
Smeargle lost 246 HP! (78% of its health)

Smeargle flinched!

Smeargle's Inconsistent sharply raises its Sp. Att.!

Start of turn 15
Smeargle used Protect!
Smeargle protected itself!

Smeargle's Inconsistent sharply raises its Evasion!
Smeargle's Inconsistent lowers its Sp. Def.!

Start of turn 16
Smeargle lost 68 HP! (21% of its health)
Smeargle fainted!

Encube sent out Genosekuto!

Genosekuto's Download activates!
Genosekuto's Attack rose!

Start of turn 17
The foe's Torunerosu used Dark Pulse!
It's not very effective...
Genosekuto lost 46 HP! (16% of its health)

Genosekuto used Ice Beam!
It's super effective!
The foe's Torunerosu lost 87% of its health!
The foe's Torunerosu fainted!

Encube won the battle!

Evasion boosts can be particularly potent...

Battle between Kinglypuff and Encube started!

Tier: Dream World
Variation: +19, -12
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause

Kinglypuff sent out Erufuun!

Start of turn 1
Smeargle used Protect!

The foe's Erufuun used Leech Seed!

Smeargle's Inconsistent lowers its Speed!

Start of turn 2
The foe's Erufuun used Encore!
Smeargle received an encore!

Smeargle used Protect!
But it failed!

Smeargle's Inconsistent sharply raises its Evasion!

Start of turn 3
Smeargle used Protect!

Smeargle's Inconsistent lowers its Attack!

Start of turn 4
Smeargle used Protect!

The attack of the foe's Erufuun missed!

Smeargle's Inconsistent sharply raises its Speed!
Smeargle's Inconsistent lowers its Evasion!
Smeargle's Encore ended!

Start of turn 5
The foe's Erufuun used Encore!
The attack of the foe's Erufuun missed!

Smeargle used Spore!
The foe's Erufuun fell asleep!

Smeargle's Inconsistent lowers its Attack!

Start of turn 6
The foe's Erufuun is fast asleep!

Smeargle used Baton Pass!
Encube called Smeargle back!
Encube sent out Kokoromori!

Start of turn 7
The foe's Erufuun is fast asleep!

Kokoromori used Air Slash!
It's super effective!
The foe's Erufuun lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Erufuun fainted!

Kinglypuff sent out Metamorph! (Ditto)

The foe's Metamorph transformed into Kokoromori!

Start of turn 8
The foe's Metamorph used Hidden Power!
The attack of the foe's Metamorph missed!

The attack of Kokoromori missed!

Start of turn 9
The foe's Metamorph used Hidden Power!
The attack of the foe's Metamorph missed!

Kinglypuff: .
The foe's Metamorph lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Metamorph fainted!

Kinglypuff sent out Shandera!

Start of turn 10
The foe's Shandera lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Shandera fainted!

Kinglypuff sent out Cizayox! (Scizor)

Start of turn 11
The foe's Cizayox used Bullet Punch!
The attack of the foe's Cizayox missed!

The foe's Cizayox lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Cizayox fainted!

Kinglypuff sent out Porygon2!

Start of turn 12
Kokoromori used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
The foe's Porygon2 lost 73% of its health!

The foe's Porygon2 used Thunder Wave!
The attack of the foe's Porygon2 missed!

RAGEQUIT

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so if you guys are actually considering Inconsistent on Smeargle (all of the ones against me failed pathetically), Smeargle needs to GTFO out of the battle field with Baton Pass as soon as possible because the pass might deliver some bad stat decreases at the wrong times. If there's anybody who can actually present a Smeargle who can use Inconistent practically, I'll be confusedly amused.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
The reciever of smeargle's baton pass simply needs to be holding a white herb. Not smeargle himself, right? Or does white herb not work like that afterall?

Okay, so if you guys are actually considering Inconsistent on Smeargle (all of the ones against me failed pathetically), Smeargle needs to GTFO out of the battle field with Baton Pass as soon as possible because the pass might deliver some bad stat decreases at the wrong times. If there's anybody who can actually present a Smeargle who can use Inconistent practically, I'll be confusedly amused.
The set I'd posted earlier
-sub
-protect
-gear change
-baton pass
is incredibly effective and uses sub and protect to stall until smeargle gets an evasion boost. Once it gets the +2 in evasion it becomes very difficult to take down, and if it can get off a single gear change it can vitually always set up a sub before its attacked. Inconsistent is an incredible ability for smeargle and is only being ignored because people are still think ing of using smeagle to get one boost then baton passing it the way it did last gen.

The Victini thread mentioned "V-Generate" as being a Smeargle only on the Pokemon Online program (for now), along with those two mystery Ice attacks.

Does this mean an Assist Pokemon 'could' draw one of (V-Generate, Ice-XA, Ice-XB) if a Smeargle on team is given one or more of these to its movepool ?

The Victini thread mentioned "V-Generate" as being a Smeargle only on the Pokemon Online program (for now), along with those two mystery Ice attacks.

Does this mean an Assist Pokemon 'could' draw one of (V-Generate, Ice-XA, Ice-XB) if a Smeargle on team is given one or more of these to its movepool ?
Do any pokemon in game even have these moves yet? If not, I don't see how smeargle could legally have these moves if there are no pokemon in game to sketch them from yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)