This Is Not A Now Playing Thread

Anathema - Dreaming Light

Anathema managed to live up to my expectations even after 7 years since their previous studio album, and We're Here Because We're Here actually tops my 2010 list so far, and is probably the best Anathema album.

This song in particular is one of the main highlights of the album; Vincent's vocals are very clear, expressive and beautiful on this one, even more so than usual, and the tension within the song is just incredible. Steven Wilson's influence did wonders for this band.

Radiohead - Karma Police

One of my favorite ones of Radiohead. The sonority of the piano is the one things that I love in the song, only after the lyric thats awesome too.

This song is on the album Ok Computer, which is considered a masterpiece even in modern times. :)

Rocket Grunt

✁ - - - - - - - - - -
is a Top Artist Alumnus
JOHNNY HOBO AND THE FREIGHT TRAINS - WHISKEY IS MY KIND OF LULLABY
crusty acoustic folk punk with desperate screaming vocals from brattleboro vermont

His real name is Patrick Schneeweis, but he is known around the bus terminal and under the on-ramp as Pat the Bunny. He doesn't like the punk scene, the indie scene, the emo scene, the hardcore scene, the ska scene, the anti-scene scene, the political activist scene or your scene. He also plays as the Wingnut Dishwashers Union and owns a small record label called Spare Change Records. All of these projects are now defunct after Pat left for rehab in December of 2009. Heres a link to a show recorded in upstate New York a few years ago if you liked this song.

i was a loner until there were no friends left
and before someone offered me drugs
you know i was straight edge

and everyone quits til you offer them a ciggarette
before we learn our lesson
lets see how bad things can get

and i'll drink myself to death!
or at least i'll drink myself to sleep!
chainsmoke my way through the gaps in between
my aspirations and my apathy.

as we drive past the last exit to home i am waving goodbye and i might be sleeping in the ditch tonight
but it's alright cuz whisky is my kind of lullabye!

i was sober all morning til i woke up this afternoon
and before someone offered me a job ya know i was gonna get one soon
and everyone in this town sleeps til the calender collids with june, before the booze wears off lets take another shot or two.

and i'll drink myself to death!
or at least i'll drink myself to sleep!
chainsmoke my way through the gaps in between
my aspirations and my apathy.

as we drive past the last exit to home i am waving goodbye and i might sleeping in the ditch tonight but it's alright cuz whiskey is my kind of lullaby

I would really like some good electronic music. Any suggestions?
Daft Punk is one of the better electronic bands, in my opinion. You could check out the Tron: Legacy OST (iirc, they did all the music for it), and their albums are pretty good too.

Crystal Castles: Not In Love ft. Robert Smith

Usually, Crystals Castles is an 'acquired taste'; not everyone is a fan of Alice Glass' singing style, but if that's been an issue for anyone, lead singer of 'The Cure' Robert Smith solves this problem, and then some. The vocals to the track are now both clear as day and expressed with such an understated emotion that it's really something incredible. Contrasting the somewhat soft vocals are what Crystal Castles should be known for: the stunning electronic compositions, which are on top form in the track. Building up through the course of the song to the stunning, synthesised choruses, the music certainly maintains the 'wow' factor through several listenings.
In conclusion, 'Not In Love' offers an great, motivating musical experience to music fans of all backgrounds and listening preferences, and is worth listening to more than once. Crystal Castles as a band are fresh and very interesting, and if you enjoy the track I reccomend listening to some of their other work.

Asking Alexandria - A Prophecy

This song is just... epic. The screaming, is so good. Danny Warsnop has such great range. High, Mid, Low, AND Clean?? Just amazing. The guitar in this song is pretty sick as well. The drums are solid (not the best drumming by Asking Alexandria) All-in-all, a great song. LOVE the lyrics. ^^

Asking Alexandria - A Prophecy

This song is just... epic. The screaming, is so good. Danny Warsnop has such great range. High, Mid, Low, AND Clean?? Just amazing. The guitar in this song is pretty sick as well. The drums are solid (not the best drumming by Asking Alexandria) All-in-all, a great song. LOVE the lyrics. ^^
This is quite interesting. The lower vocals remind me of Lamb of God, while the rest of Enter Shikari. Instruments are on their own category here. Definitely not bad though.

If Not This Time - Fifty Foot Hose

Rather 'unknown' band nowadays, from the San Fran late 60's scene with amazing avant garde stuff. This song might be thrown in the '60's psychedelia' batch by some folks, but it is something different, it kinda stands out. This song I posted here is extremely peculiar and a 'MUST LISTEN' to all those who love psychedelic music.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
The Doves - There Goes the Fear Again

This is the only song I listen to regularly by The Doves, but what a song it is... A buoyant 7 minute ode to lost summers, memories and lovers. The regret is lightly done and there is a much greater sense of optimism and joy rather than the band's usual moping.

Fu Manchu - (Godzilla's) Eatin' Dust

I've had a bunch of Fu Manchu for a while, but it never really stuck with me until just now. I generally like desert rock, which this indisputably is, but I guess before now, it felt a little too generic to be worth my time. And I still realize that this doesn't bring a whole lot to the table. However, it's sticking with me right now, and I could just rock out to this stuff for hours (so it's good that I have several albums because this one only totals 8 songs and 35 minutes). The album starts off with a pretty good rendition of Godzilla, and right from the start pretty much sets up the feel of the album. Godzilla isn't really an intricate song; it's got a pretty heavy, plodding riff, and is kind of a slow jam, but doesn't have any extra cool sections or bridges or anything. The rest of the album is the same, we've got some cool guitar solos or bass solos (like on the final track, Mongoose thrown around, but it's basically just a rock band slinging heavy riffs and playing loud. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Rocket Grunt

✁ - - - - - - - - - -
is a Top Artist Alumnus
THE ANNIVERSARY - ALL THINGS ORDINARY
some really beautiful catchy indie rock with a moog keyboard starting in 1997 from lawrence, kansas

link's to a really funny music video of theirs.
a handful of highschool friends who cut an album after the influence of a member of the get-up kids.
recorded two albums but broke up before the third was released due to some soap opera bullshit.
you can still hear something beautiful and honest in the musican's hearts through this music.
(sorry, i'm a sappy shithole.)

I've seen those eyes. I've watched them close at night.
And you breathe in and you breathe out again.
Sister's coming over and I'm afraid to tell her secrets that I know.
Painting without colors, it tends to make it better, it bleaches out the world.

Was it the end - the end that kept you up till the morning?
Was it the boy - the boy who stole your heart?
The summer goes on and then dies quick without much warning. All things ordinary.
Will you stay near my now? Don't leave this town until we've figured out,
Between the two of us, we're strong enough - I feel that in your touch.

Full from the dinner, but feeling somewhat thinner, aching in the chest.
Kids behind the windows, calling out the answers to questions never asked.

Was it the end - the end that kept you up till the morning?
Was it the boy - the boy who stole your heart?
The summer goes on and then dies quick without much warning. All things ordinary.

I've seen those eyes. I've watched them close at night.
And what queen comes in? Always goes out again.

Black Death - The Scream of the Iron Messiah

This is real BLACK! metal. Black Death were in all-black traditional heavy metal band from Cleveland, Ohio. Although the only had one album which was their self-titled debut album Black Death, it is some of the best traditional heavy metal ever recorded. The sound can be described similar to the twin guitar attack of Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, lead singer Siki Spacek is a very good vocalist to add. Just listen to "The Scream of the Iron Messiah". It's unfortunate the band is pretty much forgotten in the sands of time.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Das Racist - rapping 2 u

the dudes from das racist display their incredible flow in this track, with a j-pop track in the background that doesn't sound gay. amazingly catchy, smooth, and witty.

@ Badass, give Caribou and Ratatat a go, more specifically these tracks.

Caribou - Sun / Odessa (you may recognize it from fifa)

these guys are the most amazing live, but they are definitely worth a listen from the studio as well.

Ratatat - Seventeen Years / Lex / Loud Pipes / Tropicana / Wild Cat

amazingly catchy and fun, they will get you groovin'

Cooky

Banned deucer.
Gil Scott-Heron And Jamie xx - We're New Here

choice picks:

New York is Killing Me
Running
I'll Take Care of You

Kinda dub-like remix album (fuck dubstep), but sensitively done. listen listen listen this is quite a unique album. just like the xx remix album of biggie. talented trio?

edit:

Forte.EXE said:
Daft Punk is one of the better electronic bands, in my opinion. You could check out the Tron: Legacy OST (iirc, they did all the music for it), and their albums are pretty good too.
why recommend the tron soundtrack, it was nothing special and it doesn't play back well anyway. check out the chemical brothers soundtrack to Hanna, thats what tron should have sounded like. Industrial and visceral as opposed to light, spacey and uninspiring

further edit:

BOOM i just remembered this song it is the best song ever click me you wont regret it
in close second place comes this link right here
bronze medal goes to Frank Scleck

311 - Omaha Stylee

This is probably my favorite song from this album. 311 back in the 90's was a very edgy band and a big hit with the college kids. Grassroots was basically the album that put 311 on the map before their mainstream breakthrough, and I think Omaha Stylee really epitomizes that.

21st Century - Red Hot Chili Peppers

One of my favourite songs off of "Stadium Arcadium", which is my favourite RHCP album. 21st Century comes off of the second disc, Mars, which when compared to Jupiter is a bit weaker. The problem with Mars is that a lot of the songs end up sounding like b-sides to songs from Jupiter. But anyway, 21st Century is a really fun energetic track-- Great for summer.

how could some of you people talk about metal and not bring up meshuggah?

Do you have any sort of dignity? Have you no spine?

djentntdjentntdjentnt THE ARTWORK OF A THOUSAND CULTURES COMBINED WOAAAAAAH

Why has no one mentioned sepultura? whether it is cavalera or post cavalera it is the epitome of brazilian thrash!

Jazz metal! Such great bands such as Atheist and Coprofago incorporate what seems to be two very different genres into a mesh of rhythmic guitars and spacial rends!

This is metal! These bands represent the hardest hitting sounds to ever come out of the metal community!

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
311 - Omaha Stylee

This is probably my favorite song from this album. 311 back in the 90's was a very edgy band and a big hit with the college kids. Grassroots was basically the album that put 311 on the map before their mainstream breakthrough, and I think Omaha Stylee really epitomizes that.
I'm sort of a 311 fan myself, just a little bit. How did you like Universal Pulse?

Here's what I got:
Smashing Pumpkins - Fuck You (Ode to No one) Final Live @ Metro
This was my favorite band in high school. Smashing Pumpkins really helped ease all the angst and heartache in 11th grade. Here, you'll see their final performance at the Metro (sort of like CBGB or The Roxy for Chicago). This is the perfect example of "wall of sound" and shows SP's more unusual metal side. They really went out with a bang here.

edit: PerfectMetapod you have a great taste in music.

how could some of you people talk about metal and not bring up meshuggah?

Do you have any sort of dignity? Have you no spine?

djentntdjentntdjentnt THE ARTWORK OF A THOUSAND CULTURES COMBINED WOAAAAAAH

Why has no one mentioned sepultura? whether it is cavalera or post cavalera it is the epitome of brazilian thrash!

Jazz metal! Such great bands such as Atheist and Coprofago incorporate what seems to be two very different genres into a mesh of rhythmic guitars and spacial rends!

This is metal! These bands represent the hardest hitting sounds to ever come out of the metal community!
I don't like Meshuggah or Sepultura. I respect Meshuggah, because I realize that they are very good at what they do, but I find their vocals grating and ultimately not fun to listen to. Sepultura is similar, but their rhythm section is much less talented.

Atheist, on the other hand, is brilliant. The only album I have from them is Elements, and while their vocals are straying pretty far, they aren't unlistenable, and the bands isn't drowning in distortion, so you can actually hear what's going on. They can be difficult to listen to for me, because they don't always establish a groove, so their music always seems to be teetering on the edge of a cliff, and running out of control, but I'm pretty sure they're doing that on purpose. I like it, I give it a B.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)