Zeburaika

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Zeburaika

---------------------------

[Overview]
  • One of the fastest pokemon around, with a base speed of 116.
  • Horrible physical movepool. His special movepool is pretty good though.
  • Access to two decent abilities; Motor Drive and Lightning Rod.
  • Average offensive stats of 100/80 but burdened with mediocre 75/63/63 defenses.
[SET]
name: Mixed Sweeper
move 1: Wild Volt
move 2: Overheat
move 3: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Substitute
item: Life Orb
nature: Naive
ability: Motor Drive
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed

Set Comments:
  • Unfortunately for Zeburaika, he is cursed with having one of the worst movepools in the history of pokemon.
  • Wild Volt is literally his only physical option (aside from the token Return or Double edge)
  • Despite this, Zeburaika can at the very least go mixed and gets good enough coverage with Hidden Power Grass and Overheat.
  • HP Ice seems like it gets redundant coverage, but is effective to deal with ground types that are 4X weak to Ice. (and conveniently neutral to grass)
  • Substitute eases prediction and greatly helps Zeburaika due to it's horrible bulk.
Additional Comments:
  • Zeburaika can run Thunderbolt over Wild Volt for a purely special moveset, but risks being outclassed by the likes of Jolteon or Raikou (Similar speeds / better moves) and even Manectric (Identical moves with more power at the cost of speed)
  • Lightning Rod could be used to boost the power Zeburaika's less than stellar special attack.
  • Hidden Power Ice could be used for Bolt Beam coverage.
Teammates & Counters:
  • Hippowdon is a fine counter to Zeburaika. Zeburaika is forced to rely on it's secondary moves, which Hippowdon shrugs off quite nicely.
  • Gliscor and Garchomp are decent enough checks, provided Zeburaika lacks HP Ice.
  • Zeburaika appreciates entry hazards to aid it's sweeping effort.
  • Taking a page out of Electivires book, Zeburaika can pair up with Gyarados for some decent offensive and defensive synergy.
[Team Options]
  • Pokemon who draw in Electric types are decent partners to Zeburaika. Going old school with Gyarados is an option and even running a Wish Vaporeon is recommended as you can switch into an electric attack and get healed. Zeburaika appreciates entry hazards tremendously to alleviate his average power.
[Optional Changes]
  • Zeburaika's movepool offers it relatively little. It can run a Choice Band set, but it's physical offensive options are limited. It can use to Nitro Charge to boosts it's speed while attacking.
[Counters]
  • Bulky Walls are the best way at dealing with Zeburaika. Even with it's amazing coverage, it's still not hitting hard enough, and is prone to being walled by many pokemon.
  • Bulky pokemon like Cresselia and Uxie come to mind, as they shrug off Zeburaika's with ease and retaliate with STAB psychic or they can even set up on him.
  • Ground types likes Hippowdon and Swampert are effective counters to Zeburaika. (The latter needs to watch out for Hidden Power Grass which 2HKOes)
  • Garchomp and Gliscor can counter Zeburaika provided it lacks Hidden Power Ice.
[Dream World]
  • Zeburaika receives Herbivore as a Dream World ability. The ability itself isn't too shabby as it gives Zeburaika an extra immunity and the ability to boosts it's physical attacking stat.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Oh god I'm finally finished with this thing. If Enzo wants to submit his own set he can but I think I covered mostly everything it can do.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It gets Pursuit via Level Up, and with that 116 Speed it was born to troll Starmie and Azelf. Probably better than Substitute on the Mixed set for sure.

There's also something to be said for a Choice Specs set if it grabs the boost. It can't really touch Chansey / Blissey or Grounds but it can either do respectable damage or force the opponent to bring in a Ground / egg, which you can capitalize on with a double switch.

I think Jolly and Motor Drive is kind of redundant when combined with the base 116 speed. Jolly also hiders your mixed abilities. I suggest changing it to Naughty to raise attack without sacrificing your special attack

I also suggest adding in Return as an option with Hidden Power. With Overheat lowering your SpAtk, you will need one more physical attack. It may not be super effective on anything, but it hits a lot for neutral damage.

Other than that, it looks fine

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can you give me a few examples?
Numerous examples. [Insert physcially defensive Ground-type here] can switch in thinking you're a physical Electric-type threat, and Overheat and Hidden Power barely does anything to Swampert and Hippowdon for instance, even super-effectively. In return, he puts you in Sandstorm and may kill you with Earthquake if you don't have anything else to pivot Earthquake.

Dugtrio is another obvious example, as he's faster than Zeburaika and can revenge kill it with Arena Trap and Earthquake. It doesn't help that the Special Attack is rather average for Volt Change.

Numerous examples. [Insert physcially defensive Ground-type here] can switch in thinking you're a physical Electric-type threat, and Overheat and Hidden Power barely does anything to Swampert and Hippowdon for instance, even super-effectively. In return, he puts you in Sandstorm and may kill you with Earthquake if you don't have anything else to pivot Earthquake.

Dugtrio is another obvious example, as he's faster than Zeburaika and can revenge kill it with Arena Trap and Earthquake. It doesn't help that the Special Attack is rather average for Volt Change.
Poor Zeburaika...you are really cool, but your movepool sucks.

I will Wait till the move tutors for the 3rd version comes out then I will judge zeburaika of course suffers from bad move-pool like PK said But right Know I will judge it by it's stats for me it is just to early to tell how would this play out in the future but right now in the current meta-game this zebra has little competitive potential.

Just throwing the option out here, but Herbivore provides some great options. I'm still a bit fuzzy about how the whole dream world thing works *new to gen 5*, but I've been running the following set on Pokemon Online with great success.
Moves:
~Wild Volt
~Nitro Charge
~Pursuit
~Thunder Wave/Quick Attack
252 attack/252 speed/4hp(or whatever)
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Herbivore

This is being run with Kerudio(?, the little unirocn guy), and the incredible Hulk (can't remember name. Big robot looking thing. Ghost/Ground typing).
He's a great switch in for both. Kerudio, weak to electric, flying, psychic, and grass.
With Herbivore, This stripy Pony counter's 3 of the four types.
Of course a thunderbolt off a choice specs....idk, whatever weilds specs and thunderbolt nowadays, would still deal a chunk of damage. However, with these moves, he'll be able to outspeed the threat and present a lot of pressure for the opponent.
It should not be hard to predict what type of move is coming for you. For example a swellow wont attack kerudio with thunderbolt, while celebi wont be using arial ace. With some proper prediction it is easy to bring this guy in on the opponent at a time that he can really do some damage, regardless of his mediocre attack stats. Also, after herbivore's boost, his attack stat becomes somewhat respectable, and his movepool isn't terrible....
Wild volt is a solid stab, great to counter flying types
Nitro Charge is great to deal with the grass types he's going to be noming on
Pursuit tackles pesky ghosts
Thunder wave is great support, depending on what else you're running on the given team, while quick attack lets it get in some key kills on sweepers near the ends of matches (stall through several life orb-ed attacks and quick attack is amazingly helpful)

Anyways. I'd just consider Herbivore in a set. I've just been experimenting on the server with the new gen 5 pokemon, so I'm not really aware of the largest threats and how the meta game is going (except for the fact that people are taking advantage of the fact that most Ubers aren't technically Ubers right now since they might fit differently into the new metagame....)

Yeah, I ramble a lot
~Spleko

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)