Donphan @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
252 Def / 174 Atk / 80 Spe
Ability: Sturdy
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Head Smash

Donphan has grown up a lot, hasn't he? At first, he was just a little Phanphy that Ash hatched from an egg. But now, Donphan is one of the most powerful Pokemon Ash caught in Johto, second only to Heracross. The rolling elephant works well as both a lead, a physical tank, and a utility Pokemon. He can SR on the first turn, and then either score some KOs with Earthquake and Head Smash, or retreat to be used again. The latter is probably the best option, as Donphan can Rapid Spin away annoying hazards.

Pikachu @ Light Ball
Naive Nature
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Ability: Lightningrod
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Substitute
- Encore

... Yeah, you should've known this guy was coming the moment you saw the team name. Ash's main Pokemon; The guy who's beaten and tied with legendaries, yet lost to starter Pokemon; Probably the only character in existence who's been kidnapped over 660 TIMES; Yep, it's Pikachu!

Pikachu's main strategy is simple: Come in on something that he'll scare off, and then Substitute while the opponent switches out. Hopefully, he'll have switched into an Electric attack, giving himself a big power boost with Lightningrod. Once Pikachu's properly protected, he can proceed to either annoy / troll with Encore (stopping set-up sweeps in their tracks), or sweep with Thunderbolt and HP Ice.

Pikachu can also fill a role as an alternate lead, because he is just that awesome. Substitute while the opponent SRs or something, and then use Encore while his decoy gets attacked.

Bulbasaur @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
252 SpD / 174 Def / 80 SpA
Ability: Chlorophyll
- Sunny Day
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Solarbeam

Just as he supports the Pokemon staying at Professor Oak's laboratory, Bulbasaur supports quite a few members of the team. Sleep Powder gives Pikachu a much-needed opportunity to switch in, and Leech Seed helps to give him some extra longevity. Bulbasaur's shiny new Dream World ability allows him to double his speed after using Sunny Day, and spam Solarbeam as an attacking option.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
252 Spe / 180 Atk / 74 SpA
Ability: Blaze
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast
- Thunderpunch
- Shadow Claw

From abuse victim to one of Ash's strongest Pokemon, Infernape blazes onto the team (you see what I did there) as a mixed wallbreaker. It really isn't anything you haven't seen before. Close Combat is a staple on any self-respecting Nape set, and it's obvious to see why. Fire Blast is a great teammate to CC, taking care of Bronzong and other special walls. As an added bonus, Bulbasaur's Sunny Day gives it even more power than normal.

Thunderpunch is a move not seen enough on Nape, since it checks both Flying types and bulky Waters like Vaporeon that aren't easily beaten with Grass Knot. Finally, Shadow Claw provides much-needed coverage against Psychic types that give a lot of the team trouble.

Muk @ Black Sludge
Adamant Nature
252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 HP
Ability: Underhanded
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Explosion

Muk takes a break from smothering Professor Oak to join some of Ash's elite in the battlefield. His role is a mix between a special tank and a physical attacker. Bulbasaur gives Muk time to Substitute on the switch after Sleep Powder, and from there, Muk can fire off Focus Punches and Gunk Shots like there's no tomorrow. If the situation gets really dicey, the pile of sludge can go out with a bang (you see what I did there again), taking a Pokemon with him with Explosion.

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Ability: Reckless
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- U-Turn

Staraptor flies in as the team's revenge-killer. His DW ability, Reckless, powers up self-damaging moves like Brave Bird and Double-Edge (as if they weren't strong enough already). Close Combat is a move that none of Ash's other birds can learn, giving Staraptor an edge against Rock and Steel-types that otherwise wall it. Finally, standard U-Turn on Choice set is standard.

I always thought that people taking liberty to evolve Ash's pokemon on a theme team doesn't follow the rules. Ash doesn't have a Garchomp, he has a Gible. He doesn't have a Venusaur or a Daikenki either. He does however have Sceptile, Infernape, Staraptor, Heracross, Torterra, Pidgeot, Lapras, Gliscor, Donphan, Glalie and Kingler if you want some other fully evolved pokemon. The best a legitimate Ash team can have is most likely:

Sceptile
Infernape
Pikachu
Snorlax
Gliscor
Heracross/Staraptor/Torterra

I always thought that people taking liberty to evolve Ash's pokemon on a theme team doesn't follow the rules. Ash doesn't have a Garchomp, he has a Gible. He doesn't have a Venusaur or a Daikenki either. He does however have Sceptile, Infernape, Staraptor, Heracross, Torterra, Pidgeot, Lapras, Gliscor, Donphan, Glalie and Kingler if you want some other fully evolved pokemon. The best a legitimate Ash team can have is most likely:

Sceptile
Infernape
Pikachu
Snorlax
Gliscor
Heracross/Staraptor/Torterra
While I do see your point, I really enjoyed making this team and am kind of irked that it's being criticized just because I evolved some of Ash's Pokemon. The point of this wasn't to be faithful to the show, it was to make a team that showed off the fully-realized potential of some of his best Pokemon.

I could gladly make another team that only uses Pokemon that Ash actually does have. But please don't hate a team just for the Pokemon choice.

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Jolly Nature
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Ability: Rough Skin
- Claw Sharpen
- Dragon Rush
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Claw Sharpen + Dragon Rush is a highly underrated combo, which is truly a shame. With it, Garchomp isn't forced to be locked into Outrage. Earthquake is a standard awesome move for most Ground-Types. Fire Fang is in the last slot to take care of threatening Ice-Types.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I ran some damage calcs, and +2 dragon claw off of swords dance is more damage than +1 dragon rush off of Claw sharpen. What you lose, I suppose, is the threat to nail the scarfed dragon switch in with dragon rush on the way in . . . *runs some more calcs* but dragon claw is a 100% 1HKO on Scarfchomp as it is. What are you gaining with the Claw Sharpen + Dragon Rush combo?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I ran some damage calcs, and +2 dragon claw off of swords dance is more damage than +1 dragon rush off of Claw sharpen. What you lose, I suppose, is the threat to nail the scarfed dragon switch in with dragon rush on the way in . . . *runs some more calcs* but dragon claw is a 100% 1HKO on Scarfchomp as it is. What are you gaining with the Claw Sharpen + Dragon Rush combo?
I thought it'd be more powerful. I wouldn't say that I'm a newbie, but I haven't had my first competitive battle on PO yet.

No Seismic Toss on Charizard. Blasphemy.

Consider putting Donphan on your team as a lead. Not only does he set up rocks, but he spins them as well, helping keep Charizard healthy on the switch.

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

That's the Donphan I ran on my Ash team.

I'm not "hating" on the team, I'm just a literal asshole sometimes. Believe me, I can certainly appreciate themes and gimmicks, your's just doesn't follow the ideal you mentioned to the letter.

The team is fine considering your limited options. I agree Donphan would be pretty useful. Remember Aqua Jet doesn't receive Encourage boost so you'll take LO recoil on that move.

No Seismic Toss on Charizard. Blasphemy.

Consider putting Donphan on your team as a lead. Not only does he set up rocks, but he spins them as well, helping keep Charizard healthy on the switch.

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

That's the Donphan I ran on my Ash team.
But on the other hand, Venusaur puts up Sunny Day, giving Charizard his God-tier boost. That is a good set, though. Maybe I'll use it when I make a Ash team that's more faithful to the anime.

And I guess you're right, Jaroda... You can be an asshole sometimes. XD Okay, okay, I'm just kidding. Seriously though, I guess a lot of people would come on to this thinking the team would have Pokemon Ash actually has.

Thanks for the comments!

You don't have to replace Venusaur, and it is a little hard to fit Donphan onto your team.
Personally I'd swap the roles of Pikachu and Garchomp around, making Garchomp your revenge killer and Pikachu your sweeper. Running substitute + nasty plot with thunderbolt and hidden power ice gives you near perfect coverage. You substitute as they switch to a counter and set up Nasty Plot as they attempt to break your sub and then proceed to sweep, simple and effective, it's the set I run on my Ash team for Pikachu. Running Garchomp on a scarf set would be a more effective revenge killer in my opinion.
Pikachu (M) @ Light Ball
Ability: Static
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

If I were to elect a pokemon to be replaced for Donphan I would choose Snorlax, unfortunately. Donphan provides a lot of bulk as well, and although Snorlax is awesome, I feel like Donphan's utility would serve your team better than Snorlax's special walling.

And a little reading for you:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81801

:)

You have a good idea with the Pikachu set, Saint. I'll replace the current one soon enough. And awesome warstory. It makes me think of using some of Ash's un-evolved Pokemon in the team, like Buizel or Bulbasaur. It'd take care of the people telling me to be more faithful to Ash's team without completely getting rid of Venusaur (he's too important to the team, supporting Charizard and soon, Pikachu).

Say, do you think you could send me a link to your Ash team?

i would replace sludge bomb with sleep powder on venusaur. this way you can set up sun, sleep the opponent, and get a free switch to charizard, who is hard to get in.
also, just thought I'd mention that feraligatr's set doesn't actually have perfect coverage. Rotom-w walls it. So does surskit, but thats less of an issue. Much less.

Say, do you think you could send me a link to your Ash team?
I made it quite a while ago when I was still fairly new to shoddy, most of it is pretty terrible looking back. Mine was mostly a gimmick UU team rather than to be used in OU.

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
---
Charizard (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Seismic Toss
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Grass]
---
Heracross (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Night Slash
- Stone Edge
---
Sceptile (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Atk/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Earthquake
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Electric]
---
Feraligatr (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 148 HP/252 Atk/108 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
---
Pikachu (M) @ Light Ball
Ability: Static
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
---

It was actually fairly effective when using it, even versus OU teams.

Seriously try and make a viable Competitive team.

I understand it is Ash themed......but a Bulbasaur?

At least run a Venusaur, you really don't any reason to use Bulbasaur (Okay, if you want to go a little gimmicky, it could be a Ivysaur with a Evolution Stone)

Others have noted other pokemon that would probably do better

I have noticed that some of your pokemon have suboptimal Evs/Movesets.

A few thoughts

-Head Smash undermines Sturdy, you should probably change it to Stone Edge or Payback.

-Pikachu really shouldn't have encore, it's too frail. I'd recommend Grassnot or Focus Punch in it's place.

-Bulbasaur really should try to be as offensive as possible, its very fragile. Change leech seed to HP fire, and the evs to 252 SpA/4 Spd/252 Spe with a Life Orb and a Timid Nature if you decide to go the offensive route. You could opt for Grassnot/Energy Ball instead of Solar Beam since there are many weather changers this generation.

-Try U-turn on Infernape, as it is a overall better move than shadow claw for Psychic types.

-Change Staraptor's nature to Jolly so it can at least tie with the base 100s.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Bleh.

RMT rules said:
15. As a site dedicated to competitive battling, we request that your team is as competitive as possible within its given metagame. In-game teams and gimmick teams will be closed. Battle Tower teams are permitted. "Theme Teams" are also OK as long as they demonstrate an understanding of the competitive metagame they are to be used in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)