Octillery

The main problem with using trace to copy Inconsistent is that the Inconsistent pokemon has his sub/Protect set ready to abuse Inconsistent whereas the trace user will be using his normal set (unless he is using a set specifically to abuse Inconsistent making him fairly uncompetitive in the rest of the metagame.)

The main problem with using trace to copy Inconsistent is that the Inconsistent pokemon has his sub/Protect set ready to abuse Inconsistent whereas the trace user will be using his normal set (unless he is using a set specifically to abuse Inconsistent making him fairly uncompetitive in the rest of the metagame.)
But, aside from Smeargle, IIRC, none of the other users get an instant recovery like Pory2 does, and Recover is basically going to be on every single Pory2 anyway, so that's a huge help if you can avoid getting Toxic'd.

But Pory2 has no other form of recovery since he doesn't get access to leftovers (meaning if Pory2 can't hit Octillery then Octillery doesn't need any recovery) and he won't really be able to avoid being Toxic'd since Substitute isnt a common move on Pory2.

I dont think trace-inconsistent is the way to go. Most people usually try status octillery from the start (toxic/burn). I guess everyone has different ways from countering it. Also - if you lay toxic spikes at start it also helps :)

Toxic Spikes is the worst counter to Octillery since any Inconsistent user who knnows what their doing will run Octillery alongside a grounded poison.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Toxic Spikes is the worst counter to Octillery since any Inconsistent user who knnows what their doing will run Octillery alongside a grounded poison.
its imo the best counter since its way more viable compared to haze and stuff and you can see if they got a grounded Poison Type before the battle starts and take it out (the most common are Nidoking and Tentacruel both are easy to KO with EQ).

They're not going to send out the grounded poison and let it die unless your tspiker is dead or they're planning to set up inconsistent immediately after.

And if you do send out your tspiker and their poison is dead, they will send out the inconsistent abuser unless it's Roserade. But I don't want to have to run Roserade on every team here guys.

That's why Roserade is one of the best proposed counters so far. It's not an overcentralized counter in the least. It still does its job extremely well. Techinician HP and Magical Leaf hurt, it can still Leaf Storm, it can still use either variation of Spikes, and it can still put something to sleep. Don't think about it like you're using Roserade just to beat Octillery, think about it as you're using a good Pokemon that also has the benefit of beating Octillery should it come to that.

Yes, but I don't want to have to run a Roserade on every team. When something's broken, typically it is not number one on the usage charts. Its best counter or check is (See scizor and Salamence last gen). Plus roserade fails against glalie, and if it becomes common octillery will just start running ice beam.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
Except that as soon as it does, it is immediately walled by Steels, and everyone has a Steel or two. Then it can just be hit until it dies anyway. Or I have been using a Heatran with Roar just for that purpose, because it so often walls Octillery.

Except that as soon as it does, it is immediately walled by Steels, and everyone has a Steel or two. Then it can just be hit until it dies anyway. Or I have been using a Heatran with Roar just for that purpose, because it so often walls Octillery.
Are you serious? Every single Octillery runs Surf, if they start running Ice Beam Surf isn't the move they will give up, and Heatran in absolutely no way Walls a Pokemon with a SE STAB base 95 power move to use against it which can also get lots of sp.atk boosts quite easily.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
I find that Octillery has one of three attacking moves: Ice Beam, Flamethrower or Boiling Water. I send in first something like my Metagross, to scout, and then often Heatran walls it. It can also Roar on the Substitute, when someone predicts a switch.

Yah most tend to run Boil Over/Sub/Protect/Toxic/Ice Beam.
In DW i switch to breloom and pray that Bullet seed dsn't miss.In Wifi most of the time i just outright attack it or switch to something like Latios to Phaze it away with Roar (Omfg guyz try out SpecsLatios with Roar its fucking epic :DDDDDD)

Sub blocks trick. Octillery is also not coming in on a trick user, at least not one that's not already locked into a nve attack.

trick octillery a choice item and its utterly useless.

Same could be said for alot of Pokes. Trick Blissey/Chansey a Choice Item, now their worthless. Trick Wobbuffet a Choice Item, now it's worthless. Trick cripples a crapload of pokes, but if Octillery isn't Tricked a Choice Band, he can still cause problems because Octillery could have got a lot of SpA and Spe boosts and start KOing your pokes one by one. And Protect and Substitue both block Trick, so you need to do that fast, or you just wasted turns to let him get more boosts. And not every team has a Trick user.

Octillery killer

Chatot@lifeorb/leftovers
252sp.atk/252spe
-Encore
-Nasty Plot
-Swift
-Chatter/Heatwave/Hidden Power/Roost

yea thats banking on the chance that octillery gets an evasion boost. encore has a better chance of landing than it missing.
Or Octillery could get a Speed boost, Attack before you can encore, and ruin your plan right there. It won't KO, but Chatot isin't coming back in and doing that ever again. Quit assuming the only thing Inconsistent Pokes do is Substall. They can easily attack to get rid of the Pokes that can't be hit by Toxic. The Steels risk getting burned, making them usless, the Flying types just get attacked until they die, and hell, Octillery could run Flamethrower/Energy Ball to quickly kill those pokes.

The problem is that Octillery can only run two slots for offense. If you don't run Surf, you get owned by Heatran. If you don't run Energy Ball/Toxic, you get owned by bulky waters. And then what do you do against Nattorei?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)