Garchomp

I dind't say that.Best typing,amazing speed aside, Sand Veil is the thing that makes Garchomp the best Dragon as of right now.He is better than Latios,Latias,Onokusu,Flygon,Sazandora,Salamence,Dragonite,Kyruume(?) and even Altaria.Sand Veil puts him above all other Dragons..Do you understand why?In a metagame dominated by sweeping Dorryuzus and Tyranitar/sand, Garchomp's Sand Veil allows it to work with this trend and fit right in there.The Metagame itself makes Garchomp the best right now because of Sand Veil.You have to play Sand Veil always because if you don't then might aswell choose another Dragon since Sand Veil allows Garchomp to perfectly fit.

I'm not saying that Garchomp can do everything better than these Dragons.I'm sure Latias is a better Choice Specs user, what i am saying is that Garchomp is the best Dragon right now because of the dominace of Sand and the ability to win any game with just a little luck.

Sand Veil is what makes Garchomp the best Dragon at this point and as long as Tyranitar/Doryuuzu rule there is no reason to ever run Rough Skin even on a bulky set.
You forgot Crimgan. Crimgan is the better dragon to revenge killl The latis and has one of the most unique movepool AND arguably the best ability.

Setting that aside homever, Garchomp is arguably best dragon in this meta because of all its merit.
Movepool ? chomp has horrible but everything all it need on its movepool.
Typing ? One of the ebst typing a Dragon could have.
Ability ? The ability to turn EVERY move to have an accuracy as low as the
"worst move in the game" is very great
Stats ? 130 base attack is high, 102 speed OUTSPEED LANDROS by mere 1 points which is a very threatening pokemon. Also add the fact that he has a very nice bulk of 108 base HP and solid defenses, and passable 80 SpA
Chomp stats is the definition of perfect pokemon in Standard Play
Playstyle ? One of the best pokemon for every kind of weather. In Sand he has sand veil and a very great partner to Hippo and Ttar and dory. In Rain
he can check some things that rain needed and having ice switch in.
In sun He has Boosted Fire attacks, and able to EQ/Stone Edge fire type to oblivion.
That definitely screams awesome

The set in question:

Garchomp
Impish
176 HP / 8 ATK / 176 DEF / 92 Sp.DEF / 56 SPEED
Resulting stats: 401 HP / 298 ATK / 297 DEF / 176 sp.ATK / 229 DEF / 254 SPEED
@Leftovers
Sand Veil
-Stealth Rock
-Dragon Tail
-Earthquake
-Protect
What about this?

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Impish/Rough Skin
188 HP/176 DEF/88 SpDEF/56 SPEED
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Protect

This EV spread provides 101 Substitutes, thus allowing it to survive Seismic Toss. Thanks to Garchomps base Speed stat, it will be able to shield itself from status infliction that would otherwise cripple the set, and will be able to Dragon Tail other phazers out before they have a chance to Dragon Tail/Roar/Whirlwind Garchomp out of the Substitute. Earthquake for the obvious STAB, and Protect to increase the durability of the set, as well as predict choice users that would otherwise try to outspeed an assumed Choice Scarf Garchomp set.

Has anyone tried running a invisichomp?
It worked pretty well for me
the only thing I dont like about it is (not even going to talk about losing coverage) the fact it relies on luck

oh and chomp > other pseudos XD

Meh Insivichomp is ok, it's not too consistent for me though
or at least'im always fucking scared if the hax would work or not and shit so fuck that
ive been running the infamous SDYacheChomp and i gotta say...I love it
it hasnt gotten worse but it sure did not get any upgrades this gen
but thats not necessarily a bad thing because this guy can still fucking own
ive been really surprised as to why peeps have not been really using latios more and then it hit me...hey since the fastest fucking dragon is pretty much being ignored (to a certain degree)...why not fucking make a use of the second fastest dragon and i happens to be the chompity chomp and so i tried the sdyachechomp and this guy is awesome

while its true (im talking about the dw server btw) dory is awesome under the sand, im always scared of the other weathers whenever i use him and "surprisingly"...other weathers (esp rain and sun...ESP RAIN) are extremely common and this is a huge fucking problem for dory sometimes...anyways im just trying to say that sdyachechomp is still a beast and its actually very consistent. the sand support is always welcomed but not necessarily needed

Meh Insivichomp is ok, it's not too consistent for me though
or at least'im always fucking scared if the hax would work or not and shit so fuck that
ive been running the infamous SDYacheChomp and i gotta say...I love it
it hasnt gotten worse but it sure did not get any upgrades this gen
but thats not necessarily a bad thing because this guy can still fucking own
ive been really surprised as to why peeps have not been really using latios more and then it hit me...hey since the fastest fucking dragon is pretty much being ignored (to a certain degree)...why not fucking make a use of the second fastest dragon and i happens to be the chompity chomp and so i tried the sdyachechomp and this guy is awesome

while its true (im talking about the dw server btw) dory is awesome under the sand, im always scared of the other weathers whenever i use him and "surprisingly"...other weathers (esp rain and sun...ESP RAIN) are extremely common and this is a huge fucking problem for dory sometimes...anyways im just trying to say that sdyachechomp is still a beast and its actually very consistent. the sand support is always welcomed but not necessarily needed
Eh...I do sorta agree with what you're saying
esp with the consistency of garchomp (he's also very sturdy btw)
but im not sure if its that safe to use yache all that much since latios is still like the 28th most used in the dw server and that fucker can srsly fuck up your sweep

edit: oh and ditto is a fucking pain for garchomp even with haban (the shitter can ohko through the berry as well if you have used sd)

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I found that Garchomp is the best at revenge killing with a Choice Scarf, and muscling through weakened teams with Outrage during late game. He's bulky enough to switch in to Neutral or Weak attacks, and even a resisted Outrage will do decent damage to anything that doesn't resist it (and even resisted pokemons still take around 30-40% sometimes, especially ones with weak defenses).

The set in question:

Garchomp
Impish
176 HP / 8 ATK / 176 DEF / 92 Sp.DEF / 56 SPEED
Resulting stats: 401 HP / 298 ATK / 297 DEF / 176 sp.ATK / 229 DEF / 254 SPEED
@Leftovers
Sand Veil
-Stealth Rock
-Dragon Tail
-Earthquake
-Protect

Ever try taking down a Protect Mixpert? One of the most annoying things about Mixpert compared to other bulky water types was that it got leftovers recovery in sand. Garchomp obviously benefits similarly. Unlike mixpert though, thanks to Dragon Tail, it can abuse its awesome STAB coverage with 2 offensive moves while also being able to abuse Protect, SR and Phazing all on the same set. Few common Substitute users make substitutes that can stand up to Garchomp's Dragon Tail (though a Sub-Balloon Heatran could be annoying), which also knocks through Taunt. It's really annoying in other words.

Looking at the stats, 298 ATK is good (especially for only 8 EVs), but it's not going to be destroying much. Free turns from Sand Veil don't "win games" when you hit so weak. To give an idea, Dragon Tail does only 65.6% - 77.5% to offensive Latios.

Though, I could see missing being extremely frustrating when you get Dragon Tail'd out without doing anything and have to take another round of Spikes/SR damage before coming in again . . .

Well the point is moot with Rough Skin being illegal with SR. I guess you could replace SR with Toxic and use Rough Skin / Rugged Helmet if you have another SR user.
I love you man. That thing is good in and out of sand, and works surprisingly well even on full stall. Just a question. what do 56 speed achieve exactly? I can't think of anything off the top of my head that runs a +Def/SDef nature and hovers between 100-110 base speed.

Edit: Oh, Modest max speed Heatran. :/

BurningMan

fueled by beer
I love you man. That thing is good in and out of sand, and works surprisingly well even on full stall. Just a question. what do 56 speed achieve exactly? I can't think of anything off the top of my head that runs a +Def/SDef nature and hovers between 100-110 base speed.

Edit: Oh, Modest max speed Heatran. :/
does anyone use that though? i mean almost every Heatran is Timid and Heatran isn`t a problem unless its a ballon version since you should be able to live trough non Specs boosted Dragon Pulses so why not invest some of these EVs in Atk or Defenses?

Yeah, I ran 156 SDef on mine previously, making it slightly more special defensive than Swampert. Not much of a difference so far...

Garchomp trolled everyone with his speed last gen...
The Genies troll everyone this gen...
And Garchomp trolls the Genies....

I'm not sure how chomp "trolls" randorosu (landlos) with neutrality to outrage/dragon claw and stone edge and immutinity to EQ. Chomp holds stone edge over the other geinies but landlos vs. chomp seems like an even match...
I may need to be corrected on this, as I am currently too lazy to do calcs.
they both have outrage, but switch in a steel type and the one still alive is messed up, especially dory, who would get a free SD on sandstorm teams.

Now I haven't been part of this topic and really don't care to go back and read earlier posts, but since the nex gen began, has Garchomp been knocked a peg or two? and if so by whom?

Now I haven't been part of this topic and really don't care to go back and read earlier posts, but since the nex gen began, has Garchomp been knocked a peg or two? and if so by whom?
Garchomp is still a monster and one of the most commonly used pokémon, so no, not really. Sandstorm being everywhere is also nice for Chomp. Power creep makes it a bit more balanced in comparison to other new 'mons, though.
... and the Base 108 Speed fighting trio + Kerudio troll all of them?

Oh wow, ok.
So expecting Choice Scarf set to be the most dominant set, I checked the stats on PO. In WiFi AND DW servers, SD set is the most used set....with approximately 50% of all chomps using SD........
woahhhh

it's just that the three genies aren incredibly uncommon
ive seen some landloss but never the other two with the higher speed

Why doesn't somebody try a Garchomp set just for phazing. Have a Garchomp use substitute on a predicted switch and then rack up entry hazard using dragon tail a superior phazing move since it doesn't give the user negative priority.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
borutorusu is pretty common (thanks to mischevious heart thunder wave . . .).

Garchomp is beasting it up, but having its scarf set outsped by Dory is a big issue for the scarf set, while lati@s trolls the SD'er (Specs Draco 1 HKO's through Haban berry . . .)

borutorusu is pretty common (thanks to mischevious heart thunder wave . . .).

Garchomp is beasting it up, but having its scarf set outsped by Dory is a big issue for the scarf set, while lati@s trolls the SD'er (Specs Draco 1 HKO's through Haban berry . . .)
agreed.
the only way the chomp's sd set would see its old days of triumph is if the latis get banned :( the yache would be ballin then but until then...oh well

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's why I want Latias to stay down regardless of what happens to Latios (who can go and die a horrible death by Kyogre in the Soul Dewless 5th Gen uber meta for all I care).

Having Latias around is pretty big in keeping Garchomp OU.

That's why I want Latias to stay down regardless of what happens to Latios (who can go and die a horrible death by Kyogre in the Soul Dewless 5th Gen uber meta for all I care).

Having Latias around is pretty big in keeping Garchomp OU.
Agreed, though I like using Weavile to take care of good ol' chomp.

I do hate SD chomp especialy sub sd
Also bulky SD haban chomp is my favorite set.
The "fake" power creep (lol just kidding i misunderstand power creep meaning from general creep to attack power creep actualy) didnt really hinder chomp.
for example mence has problem with his mono stab sometime(he has 110 spa though) while chomp can say fuck off i have 2 stab to play with.
Scarf chomp big weakness is it is nattrei's set up bait and skarm say hi

Few things I'd like to talk about.
Firstly, the genies aren't that big of a deal like garchomp was last gen...or even now, not even close imo, at least at this stage of the "meta". Barely anyone uses the genies, though landlos could be pretty nice addition to the sand teams.
Also, yes yes yes with the latias staying in OU for garchomp to have a good chance of being in OU. Some have already started to talk about him being broken once again and if both the twin dragons went to the realm of ubers...garchomp may not...no probably will be banned eventually as well imo.

man i love/hate this shark dragon

Once you start messing with the tier's super-structure the bottom falls out.
That's why a Salamence ban was all but inevitable last gen when Garchomp was banned.
So yes, it helps for Latias to stay for Chomp and Chomp does a service at base 102 speed as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)