Garchomp

Idk Randorosu is becoming quite a big hit in SS teams and a lot of people are realising it can accomplish a lot of things that Dory could only Dream of.

But Garchomp was a far bigger threat nevertheless.Im kind of agreeing with Chou on the fact that Chomp would be pretty scary if Lati@s was gone.

Garchomp is at a perfect level of power with the Latis allowed down here, and I'm going to be incredibly depressed if any of them get banned later on.

Okay, I know Chomp is a beast and yeah he is difficult to beat, but hasn't anyone come up with a way to beat or counter him? We got a plethora of powerful pokes this gen and there is still no way to counter the shark wannabe? Granted I love using him and hate fighting him, but I don't want him going back to Ubers simply because the latis might not stay in OU. Please tell me someone has found something.

what are good checks besides the latis? Mamoswine? Starmie? I'm not very experienced with competitive battling so please forgive me for my questions.

Cloyster.
Taking upwards of 30% from Chomp's EQ means it can only switch in on it 2 times, and cloyster is SR weak so make that 1. And if Chomp is carrying SE, forget about it. Besides, who wants their shell break sweeper taking massive damage in order to beat one of the biggest threats out there :/

Skarmory is the best switchin imo. Scarfchomp isn't doing shit to it, and SD chomp gets phazed. Only time Skarmory would lose is a fire fang crit or if it's last man SD chomp.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well Latias is even less of a stand-out than Garchomp, Salamence, and Sazandora, who in turn are rather over-shadowed so far. Let us hope a balance is maintained that allows Garchomp to stay (otherwise, I will have to go transfer up a flygon again . . .) :P

lol @ Fire Fang Garchomp.

Garchomp's one of the few Pokemon I would run Fire Blast on. Flamethrower is too weak.

Nattorei walls choice sets all day long (bar CB EQ, and who'd use Choiced Earthquake?), and it can take on SD sets fairly well (although it's going to dislike either a +2 EQ if it's specially defensive, or a Fire Blast if it's physically defensive). Skarmory is still an excellent stop, but again, if it lacks SpD EVs, it's going to hate Fire Blast.

Balloon Doryuuzu can switch in on almost anything, outspeed in the sand (and if you're using Chomp, you probably have a Sand Streamer), and smack it in the face with EQ (although it won't OHKO unboosted) or set up SD on a Choice-locked Outrage/EQ.

Chomp is sooooooooooo bulky even in this meta. How the hell he survive ice beam without yacho from some pokemon i never know (he might have 1000 anti ice measure in his body)

also scarf isnt all he can do. SD is very good. In practicality 100 speed outspeed many threats in general in this meta (sad but true, 100 speed is even enough in this meta to be a sweeper unlike our paper say so) so 102 will be enough. Bulky haban is the beast seeing it can survive specstios meteor and meteor can miss.

Also i remember reading 16 SpA = 1HKO on most scarm (sturdy be damned).

Band set hit really hard with his arguably best set of stab (stab on one of the best or maybe the best offensive typing and stab on type that has proven to be the centralizing type in term of move in all 5 generation say hi)

Finally chomp is an actualy good tank and his MIXED set is actualy very good.

Latis seeing its the only big threats chomp has sweeping term.
Bulky haban chomp is useful not only because of latis though. Its a really viable and powerful set

Latis seeing its the only big threats chomp has sweeping term.
Bulky haban chomp is useful not only because of latis though. Its a really viable and powerful set
What's the bulky set? I'm curious now because it would have to be bulky because a specs meteor would ko through Haban a standard 252/252. That is if it hit in Sand which it might not. You better be hoping your lucky stars it doesn't.

lol @ Fire Fang Garchomp.

Garchomp's one of the few Pokemon I would run Fire Blast on. Flamethrower is too weak.

Nattorei walls choice sets all day long (bar CB EQ, and who'd use Choiced Earthquake?), and it can take on SD sets fairly well (although it's going to dislike either a +2 EQ if it's specially defensive, or a Fire Blast if it's physically defensive). Skarmory is still an excellent stop, but again, if it lacks SpD EVs, it's going to hate Fire Blast.

Balloon Doryuuzu can switch in on almost anything, outspeed in the sand (and if you're using Chomp, you probably have a Sand Streamer), and smack it in the face with EQ (although it won't OHKO unboosted) or set up SD on a Choice-locked Outrage/EQ.
Pretty sure fire Fang is superior to Fire Blast in most situations, doing largely the same amount to Nattorei (possibly more) and having superior accuracy

168/56 has a chance to survive Specs tios DM without SR in play. An awesome feat to me. And its quite practical (taken from one of the RMT archive that uses this set)

168/56 has a chance to survive Specs tios DM without SR in play. An awesome feat to me. And its quite practical (taken from one of the RMT archive that uses this set)
399 hp and 220 SDef? According to my damage calculator that still has a 46.15% of ohkoing if the Meteor hits. It is much lower yes but still, it is still pretty hefty.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Taking upwards of 30% from Chomp's EQ means it can only switch in on it 2 times, and cloyster is SR weak so make that 1. And if Chomp is carrying SE, forget about it. Besides, who wants their shell break sweeper taking massive damage in order to beat one of the biggest threats out there :/

Skarmory is the best switchin imo. Scarfchomp isn't doing shit to it, and SD chomp gets phazed. Only time Skarmory would lose is a fire fang crit or if it's last man SD chomp.
That's a check, boss. I don't have to switch in, all I have to do is boost in your face on the revenge.

Pretty sure fire Fang is superior to Fire Blast in most situations, doing largely the same amount to Nattorei (possibly more) and having superior accuracy
Fire Fang is only better on SD sets. Otherwise, Fire Fang and Fire Blast are about equally LOL options.

And I think SJC is right about Cloyster being a good counter to Garchomp without (maybe even with) Stone Edge. Cloyster comes in, takes about 30% or whatever from EQ, Shell Breaks afterward, and then the defense drop doesn't matter due to Cloyster now being faster. Cloyster now KOs (non-Yache) Garchomp with Icicle Spear / Ice Shard. GG.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Fire Blast is superior to Fire Fang on every set except Choice Band and Swords Dance. Even on those sets, it is somewhat debatable.

Fire Blast and Fire Fang coming from Jolly 252 Atk Garchomp with no attack boosts do approximately the same damage to an opponent with even defenses (because Fire Fang's BP is so pathetically weak).

However, most enemies Garchomp is looking to hit do not have even defenses-- they have much more physical defense. Skarm, Forry, Scizor and even Nattorei are all much more inclined to have high Physical defense than special.

Fire Blast 2 HKOs all of them, except for extremely specially EV'd sets. Skarmory is able to wall and setup on Fire Fang, which struggles to even do 30% without a boost. Fire Fang also gets hit by Natto's Iron Barbs . . .

All in all, Fire Blast is generally the superior attack, while Fire Fang becoming arguably better once Garchomp has significant boosts to its ATK score.

That's a check, boss. I don't have to switch in, all I have to do is boost in your face on the revenge.
Yeah, neo-Cloyster is a solid check for most Chomp, laughing at Yache, Sub, and buffering against Sand Veil with Icicle Spear while threatening Shell Break.
SD Chomp could run Stone Edge but then the extremely popular Nattorei and (baloon) Doryuuzu resist Dragon/Ground/Rock.
There are more things that can take advantage of Chomp this Gen (though most can't swtich in) but he's still a beast.

How good is Hippowdon as a counter? It can take hits (I think an unboosted Outrage does about 1/3), Slack Off, hit back with EQ, and pHaze if it tries to set up.

Swampert can kinda/not really pull it off, taking 3 unboosted Outrages / 4 unboosted Earthquakes and KOing back with Ice Beam.

EDIT: Never mind, Ice Beam doesn't OHKO, but still, it takes 3/4 at least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)