Kanto can be Vexing

The time has arrived and my third warstory is out! I know you've waited and dreamed of this moment and I only hope I can live up to your expectations.

This is a battle between a random encounter and my Kanto team. The rule I set for this team was only the original 151 and no pokemon that were, at any time, OU. Nidoking and Cloyster are both monsters though, but they're not OU yet so it's fair! I swear!

The battle you're about to read isn't some amazing dramatic fight, but it's not a pushover either. It was a fairly even match with some tight spots and some good plays. As a battle, I don't want to tell you this is amazing, so I hope my commentary makes it readable for you guys. I got another battle with my OU team I am thinking of warstorying but for now, Kanto's time is here.

Quick Glance at the teams, and we're ready to go.

Battle between JMALL2010 and Vexatious started!

Tier: Wifi
Variation: +15, -16
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle

Vexatious sent out Persian!
JMALL2010 sent out Ninetales!
The foe's Ninetales is floating on a balloon!
The foe's Ninetales's Drought intensified the sun's rays!
(100%) VS
(100%)
Remember back when we talked about leads and how they can't predict an opponents team? Then you should also remember that there was an exception to this rule of mine: Weather. Whether or not weather is going to bother me, will depend on how he decides to abuse it. Luckily the sun is shining brightly, and as much as I love a good rain storm here and there, I wasn't in the mood to get soaking wet today.

Moving on to the task at hand, Ninetales is the premier lead to all sun teams. Whether or not (alright last weather pun for this turn I swear) I think it's the best lead for a sun team, is a different story all together. While these types of teams need the perma-weather going, it's not a great idea to lead off with them. Being key party members, having them in the lead position puts them at far to large a risk and gives away the intention of the team. Perhaps it is my love for U-turn, trick, and all the momentum hassling moves of Pokemon, but I believe any lead should be either an anti-lead or a set-up lead. We can argue setting up weather is a set-up lead, but the risks are far to great for that to be justified. Eh, but who am I to talk, I never use weather teams and I never will.

What I know about Ninetales is the same that I know about Politoed. I really hate spelling it "toed" but apparently that's how it is. Not like a "toad" but as in having Poli (many) toes. I get the play on words, but the spelling really irks me. Anyway, Both tend to carry one of two sets. Either a bulky defensive set with a status move, or a heavy hitting choice set. Ninetales though, has a third set it can be running which is a Nasty Plot set. Taking quick advantage of the sun and a +2 to his special attack, a lot of Ninetales can take a quick and early KO to put the match in their favor. So far, the only thing I know about this Ninetales is that it has a balloon which only eliminates one choice (literally).

Luckily for me, my Persian is the most annoying creation Arceus ever put into Kanto. With his version of trick (switcheroo), hypnosis, knock off, and u-turn as well as a Choice Scarf, Persian is a bitch. What I love about this lead is all the options that it gives me. Hypnosis can shut down Ninetales and in essence, thanks to the new sleep mechanics, take him out of the game. I could pop his balloon with knock off or a quick U-turn, and we all know how I love that move with an unholy passion, for some free momentum, but why pop the balloon when I could take it?

Switcheroo will not only give Persian a ground immunity, but will make Ninetales much more predictable later on. There are really only three moves I see him doing aside from switching. Flamethrower, Hypnosis, or Nasty Plot. Two of those moves are great starting moves on his part, but both will force a switch after he's locked into them. Flamethrower would be unfortunate thanks to Persian's abysmal stats and a switch could go either way depending on what he expects me to do. With 2.5/4 options in the favor of Switcheroo, take a guess at what I'm going to do. If you haven't caught on, please stop reading for your, and my, mental health.

Start of turn 1
Persian used Switcheroo!
Persian switched items with the foe's Ninetales!
Persian is floating on a balloon!
Persian obtained one Balloon!
The foe's Ninetales obtained one Choice Scarf!

The foe's Ninetales used Nasty Plot!
The foe's Ninetales's Sp. Att. sharply rose!

The sunlight is strong!
(100%) VS
(100%)
Things work out as best as they possibly could. Ninetales goes for an early boost and is punished for his greed. Like a cat with an inflated ball of yarn keeping him afloat, Persian is in prime position to do whatever he damn well pleases. A switch is imminent with Ninetales now locked into Nasty Plot and all of Persians options remain. A second switcheroo can strip another pokemon of their item, but for a team of fire types (presumably) I'd prefer not to give anyone a healthy ground immunity especially with my Nidoking stomping around. U-turn is always omnipresent and a wonderful move that will ensure the momentum sticks, but Persian's bitchery is yet to be fully realized. Knowing the switch is coming, why just turn my back on a counter to my Persian when I can sing it a sweet lullaby. Though it has shaky accuracy (60% I believe), Hypnosis has two possibilities. Either I can cripple a possible attacker on his team, or I can miss and switch out into a resist. With momentum already on my side, I feel it's safe to take a risk for some early sleep.

Start of turn 2
JMALL2010 called Ninetales back!
JMALL2010 sent out Typhlosion!

Persian used Hypnosis!
The foe's Typhlosion fell asleep!

The sunlight is strong!
(100%) VS
(100%)
How do you like me now meta-game? That's right, Persian is running things his way. That's 2 for 2 on the score board and Persian is just warming up. Typhlosion comes in to perhaps absorb a balloon being passed his way. He has always been a favorite of mine and in the sun he deserves all the recognition he can get. With massive fire (excuse the pun) power behind him and a blaring sun above him, he could have burned holes through my team.

I'm starting to get a little cocky as it is as my mind tells me to U-turn. My choice scarf is gone and in it's place is a balloon I intend to keep, sleep clause is in effect, and Knock off could potentially free up Ninetales if he sees it coming. So far things have been going great and I have no idea what item Typhlosion carries. Most either carry specs or scarf from my experience, and seeing as he played on what he knew of my Persian, I'm thinking he wanted to give him back a choice item. If he wakes up he could still be a viable threat to my team. Knock off will shut him down further and any switch that comes in. If I happen to knock off Ninetales, Persian can merely move out of the way and I'll handle him with Nidoking. Time to knock this shit off.

Start of turn 3
JMALL2010 called Typhlosion back!
JMALL2010 sent out Poliwrath!

Persian used Knock Off!
It's not very effective...
The foe's Poliwrath lost 2% of its health!
Persian knocked off the foe's Poliwrath's Leftovers!

The sunlight is strong!
(100%) VS
(98%)
3 for 3, happy day for me! A sweeper Ninetales locked into a choice scarf, a heavy hitting Typhlosion taking a nap, and now a bulky Poliwrath without its recovery; Persian is having quite a run.

Without an item to steal or knock off and without a sleep slot open, Persian's job here is just about done. Every cat has nine lives (and some foxes, nine tails...oh god the puns) and he intends to live to see all nine of them. Persian is faster than Poliwrath so I might as well chip some damage off in the process of my switch with a good and long awaited U-Turn. If he switches out (which I doubt), I'll get first licks as to the pokemon match-up and if he stays, I have ways to handle this oddball. Let's see what he feels like doing. Persian, turn your ass around.

Start of turn 4
Persian used U-turn!
The foe's Poliwrath lost 7% of its health!

Looks like Poliwrath intends to stay and play a little bit. I don't see him tightening his focus which eliminates Focus Punch as an option, although I was really hoping he was going to use it. Most Poliwraths I know carry Brick Break or Counter as well as a water move. Seeing as this is a sun team, I doubt he would carry a water type move that would only get halved in strength. I'm seeing a bulk up variant with fighting moves and a filler. Nothing Golbat, the bulkiest fuck to ever bulk, can't handle.

Vexatious called Persian back!
Vexatious sent out Golbat!

The foe's Poliwrath used Substitute!
The foe's Poliwrath made a substitute!

The sunlight is strong!
(100%) VS
(66%/sub)
Well shit, this is not something I wanted to see. With a substitute staring me in the face, Poliwrath is free to do whatever the hell he likes behind it. I had hoped to be able to Haze away his stat boosts and get a healthy toxic stall going, but instead he blocks my attempts and steals my momentum (mine damnit I called dibs way back!)

Fortunately, my team doesn't have much to worry about in terms of fighting moves. Yet, something begins to bother me here. If he does indeed lack a water move, he's got a fighting move, substitute, bulk up (I'm assuming) and blank. Poliwrath can learn the elemental punches, and a Thunderpunch can be detrimental to any water types standing up against the sun.

Also, my Golbat is purely around for walling hits and toxic stalling. The problem here is that he runs Haze, Roost, Toxic, and U-turn for momentum (I'm telling you I have a problem, I need help). Golbat with a pre-evolution stone has the defenses to eat anything Poliwrath throws and for the first time I really regret giving my pokemon U-turn. I'm a dumbass sometimes. I only have one option, period. There's not thinking here, switching and U-turn is the same thing. I'm actually really upset that I have so little to do.

Start of turn 5
Golbat used U-turn!
The foe's Poliwrath's substitute took the damage!

Still no Focus'ing which means either a bulk up or that filler move I was worried about him having. Magneton and Nidoking can eat a thunderpunch, but Nidoking can't eat an Ice Punch (if he has it) while Magneton can't eat a brick break. Scyther can only handle a brick break, and Cloyster can only handle an Ice Punch. Golbat is godly but he's the one switching out. Persian is the only one left and he can't handle a fighting move. What started off as a little threat has put me in quite a bind. With him out against Golbat, I doubt he'll throw out Brick Break but in case he predicts me, Persian is now the least important member of my team. He served his job, he earned a cat nap if he needs one.

If Persian takes the hit however, I can U-turn back out after scouting this mystery move. If it's a Thunderpunch, Nidoking has this covered, and if its an Ice Punch I'll have to shuffle around until his sub breaks and I can hit him hard.

Vexatious called Golbat back!

Persian is floating on a balloon!

The foe's Poliwrath used Ice Punch!
Persian lost 91 HP! (33% of its health)
Persian's Balloon popped!

The sunlight is strong!
(67%) VS
(66%/sub)
Persian's balloon pops and takes, surprisingly little damage. Full defense Poliwrath anyone? This is bad because I was really hoping Nidoking would be able to put a stop to this on his own, but with Ice Punch it's not worth the damage it'll take to break the sub and then hit with a thunderbolt. Persian can't do anything about his sub but performed his scouting job quite well. Time for another U-turn to see what's going to happen.

Start of turn 6
The foe's Poliwrath is tightening its focus!
Persian used U-turn!

There's that focus I was looking for! Scyther and Golbat both 4x resist fighting, but I want to keep Scyther in the wings for later. Golbat will utterly enjoy this punch and feel nothing from that. Watch this, you'll be shocked at just how bulky Golbat can be.

The foe's Poliwrath used Focus Punch!
A critical hit!
Golbat lost 56 HP! (15% of its health)

The sunlight is strong!
(85%) VS
(66%/sub)
A critical hit and only 15% damage, Golbat you beautiful, and yet horribly ugly, creature you. One more U-turn should break that sub of his and it's still Golbat's only attacking move. Let's hope he doesn't get smart and use Focus Punch again, I'd really rather not bring out Scyther yet.

Start of turn 7
Golbat used U-turn!

I still don't break that substitute, he really has to be heavily defense trained. Even coming off of unSTABed U-turns, that's still four I've hit him with now. I don't see Focus Punch which means he's going for that Ice Punch again. Persian doesn't need to take the hit, Cloyster 4x resists Ice and can strike back with Rock Blast to finish off that sub. It's a bit risky but that sub really needs to go, and surprisingly, Cloyster isn't going to be offering much to this match from what I saw in the team previews. This is going to be a Scyther and Nidoking game, not Cloyster.

Vexatious sent out Cloyster!

The foe's Poliwrath used Bulk Up!
The foe's Poliwrath's Attack rose!
The foe's Poliwrath's Defense rose!

The sunlight is strong!
(100%) VS
(66%/sub)
Son of a bitch, I was right the whole time and completely forgot about my own prediction. There wasn't much I could do in that situation thanks to Golbat and my genius team building skills, but I really didn't want to see a bulk up. This situation suddenly became a trade. Cloyster can take a focus punch being max defense but I'm not sure about taking a +1.

Poliwrath resists Icicle Spear and to switch out would be defeating the entire purpose of coming in. Cloyster came to break that sub, and damnit he's going to do it.

Start of turn 8
Cloyster used Rock Blast!
The foe's Poliwrath's substitute faded!
Hit 5 times!

The foe's Poliwrath lost its focus!

The sunlight is strong!
(100%) VS
(60%)
About time that sub breaks. It took two 2% hits to break, which means I was averaging 5% damage with those U-turns. Disgusting. Thankfully I hit him at least once (three times though) breaking his concentration.

Now that his sub is gone, Cloyster can get out of here or stay and fight. Seeing his complete movepool, Poliwrath doesn't really have anything to hurt me with. Ice Punch is resisted, Focus Punch is interrupted, and I have Shell Smash. He could substitute, but after some small calculations, after a shell smash I'm within a 5% range (RNG willing) with Rock Blast meaning even a sub isn't going to stand in my way. He won't risk the Focus Punch but he might bulk up, ice punch, or sub. If he bulk ups I can match him in Shell smashes and wittle him down. If he ice punches, well alright cool I guess. If he subs though, I risk losing cloyster to break the sub. Though, since that was his original job, nothing has really changed since he was brought in. I don't understand why breaking his own shell seems like a good idea to him, but for an overall +4 boost I'd probably do it to.

Start of turn 9
Cloyster used Shell Smash!
Cloyster's Defense fell!
Cloyster's Sp. Def. fell!
Cloyster's Attack sharply rose!
Cloyster's Sp. Att. sharply rose!
Cloyster's Speed sharply rose!

The foe's Poliwrath used Substitute!
The foe's Poliwrath made a substitute!

The sunlight is strong!

(100%) VS
(35%/sub)
Alright, he subbed. This sucks but it's nothing I wasn't prepared for. Once I break that sub I can send in Nidoking or Magneton to take him down with a thunderbolt now that he's low on health. Either I can break his sub and stop his focus, or take a revenge kill for an even trade. This Poliwrath has been more of a thorn in my side than Persian was to him. Alright, that was probably a biased opinion from me but you know what, this Poliwrath is pissing me off.

On an unrelated note, His ninetales was greedy, his Tyhplosion was slothful, and this Poliwrath is full of wrath. That's freaking 3 of the deadly sins. Weird. Well at least I know God won't be on his side this match.
Start of turn 10
Cloyster used Rock Blast!
Hit 5 times!

It's super effective!
Cloyster lost 303 HP! (100% of its health)
Cloyster fainted!
(0%) VS
(35%/sub)
5-6
Well shit, not only did the fucker not break (thanks RNG, I love you too) but his punch KO'd my 252def build Cloyster. Not that it's surprisingly mind you, but I really wanted Cloyster to live through that. That sub is really pissing me off now and I needed it to break. If I average 4% on those hits, even Persian's U-turn can break it now after Cloyster assaulted it.
The sunlight is strong!
(67%)VS
(35%/sub)
Time to break that sub and finally see the light of day. If he subs again, I'm going to have to break out Scyther and Nidoking early, but luckily between Scyther, Golbat, and Magneton I'll have all the turning passive damage I need to wear down his energy shields and take a quick headshot. Sorry, been playing Halo.

Start of turn 11
Persian used U-turn!
The foe's Poliwrath's substitute faded!

Alright, no focusing which means either another sub (now that it's finally down), an ice punch, or a bulk up. Magneton should honestly have been brought in awhile ago now especially over Cloyster. Looking back, I'm an idiot for using a shell fish to do a magnets job. Magnets, how the hell do they work?!

Vexatious sent out Magneton!

The foe's Poliwrath used Bulk Up!
The foe's Poliwrath's Attack rose!
The foe's Poliwrath's Defense rose!

The sunlight is strong!
(100%) VS
(35%)
Ah magneton. The pokemon who bought a guaranteed spot on my team thanks to being the only Kanto pokemon who resists dragon, and not a choice I've regretted. I'll start off by saying, no he doesn't have U-turn. He can't LEARN U-turn, that'd just be silly. You know what he does have though? *cackle* VOLT CHANGE! That's right, electrical U-turn. I'm running a U-turn variant on a magneton, shocking I know.

However, let me regain my composure and realize that I really don't want this thing alive anymore, nor do I need it to take another free hit on on of my pokemon. Magneton is fully HP and Sp.Def invested for bulk and has no special attack EVs. I don't want to risk him living through Volt Change and I doubt he'll switch out at such low health now. Thunderbolt will finish the job and dent anything coming in. For the first time this match, I have the option to turn and don't use it. I think I need to see a doctor...

Start of turn 12
JMALL2010 called Poliwrath back!
JMALL2010 sent out Exeggutor!

Magneton used Thunderbolt!
The foe's Exeggutor lost 22% of its health!
The foe's Exeggutor is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
The foe's Exeggutor ate its Lum Berry!
The foe's Exeggutor's status cleared!

The sunlight is strong!
The foe's Exeggutor's gained a Lum Berry thanks to its Harvest!
(100%) VS
(78%)
Exeggutor comes in to ruin my fun and save his teammate. Damnit, I really wanted that damn thing dead. Thunderbolt does marginal damage to Exeggutor but thanks to a little bit of hax, I learn some interesting information: he's not running chlorophyll. However, he's impervious to status's now.

On the plus side, I carry Hidden Power fire for trapping steels (a job his older cousins Magnezone is no slouch at doing.) and thanks to the sun, it's more than enough to roast this plant. Time to turn this weather in my favor with a little fire power of my own.

Start of turn 13
Magneton used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
The foe's Exeggutor lost 69% of its health!

The foe's Exeggutor used Sleep Powder!
Magneton fell asleep!

The sunlight is strong!
(100%/sleeping) VS
(9%)
So close and yet so far away from that KO. With 9% left his Exeggutor is pretty crippled, but it seems the sin of sloth is on my side as well. Magneton gets caught in a poppy field and falls asleep. Thanks to the new sleep mechanic, I now feel the pain I caused his typhlosion earlier. With a lum berry attached, it's not too Farfetch'd (I said it) for him to carry rest. A grass attack or psychic attack will do pitiful damage to magneton, but HP fire is still likely on a sun team. If it weren't for that, Scyther would demolish this eggtree but unfortunately that's not the case. Until I can see what he hopes to do, Persian is going to do his scouting job even if it kills him. Be it rain, sleet, sun, or sandstorm (where the hell do you deliver mail) Persian is always on time. Especially for a 4x powerful U-turn!

Start of turn 14
Vexatious called Magneton back!

The foe's Exeggutor used Rest!
The foe's Exeggutor went to sleep and became healthy!

The sunlight is strong!
(67%) VS
(100%)
MOTHER FUCKER all that damage gone and his lum berry heals him and to top it all off, Harvest brings it back. I've never fought this before and I'm surprised that I haven't. This is going to be a pain in the ass if I don't get rid of that lum berry. Persian would really like to hold on to something...yet, something's bugging me.

He knows I have switcheroo and Lum berry is every so important to him. If he switches to ninetales, not only do I lose my opportunity to strip that lum berry away, but Ninetales can get rid of his choice scarf. Even with his lum berry, he's still no match for Scyther and it's not worth the risk of helping his Ninetales. However, U-turn will still do 4x damage and give me a swing of momentum if his ninetales comes out. If not, it's an easy switch into Scyther for the long awaited KO.

Start of turn 15
JMALL2010 called Exeggutor back!
JMALL2010 sent out Ninetales!

Persian used U-turn!
The foe's Ninetales lost 11% of its health!

I was right, he wanted that switcheroo and he wanted it badly. Luckily for me I saw through his clever disguise, and now I can squash his head, in between my thighs. (and gandalf the grey and gandalf the white and monty python and the holy grails black knight...) Nothing Ninetales can do will kill Nidoking (after some short calculations) where as (once more calculators ftw!) Nidoking can average killing damage with Earth Power. Without that balloon, Ninetails is screwed.

Vexatious sent out Nidoking!

The sunlight is strong!
(100%)VS
(89%)
Encourage Nidoking, how I've missed you. I love the boost Nidoking got this generation and Ninetales is going to love it more. As I said before, Ninetales with a Modest Nature in the sun can only deal 87.5% damage at best to Nidoking, while he can nail Ninetales for 82%-96.5% which gives me a 50% chance for a KO. From what I know of his team, with Ninetales out of the way and Typhlosion asleep, only Leafeon can stand up to Nidoking being faster and damaging unlike the rest of his pokemon (Erufuun being the undamaging one, I'd kill it before it kills me by seed.) I could try to overpredict here and take a boosted flamethrower, but if he stays in and hits my Nidoking, I risk losing him which I just can't do. I hate being obvious, but I need Nidoking alive and I need Ninetales down. It's not White or Black Power, hell it's not even Purple Power; It's Earth Power!

Start of turn 16
The foe's Ninetales used Flamethrower!
Nidoking lost 244 HP! (80% of its health)

Nidoking used Earth Power!
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
The foe's Ninetales lost 88% of its health!
The foe's Ninetales fainted!
(20%)VS
(0%)
5-5
The sunlight is strong!
JMALL2010 sent out Leafeon!
(20%)VS
(100%)
Ninetales goes down and Nidoking loses a large chunk of his health. Unfortunately there was a crit here, but the calculators show that it really wouldn't have mattered. Without the crit, I only needed to roll average to get the KO, all the crit did for me was avoid a low RNG roll. Actually, come to think of it the RNG hates me, for all I know I rolled a 44% and the crit did it. You guys decide here.

Anyway, he sends in his only stop to Nidoking: Leafeon. With a little bit of Chlorophyll he easily outpaces my King and can threaten to KO. An odd physical attacking type eeveelution, Leafeon relies on Leaf Blade and Swords Dance for it's damaging. No better physical wall in the world of Kanto than trusty Golbat! Dance all you want Leafeon, I got a haze waiting for you.
Start of turn 17
Vexatious called Nidoking back!

The foe's Leafeon used Swords Dance!
The foe's Leafeon's Attack sharply rose!

The sunlight is strong!
(85%)VS
(100%)
Oh leafeon, you're ever so predictable. Nothing you can do will stop Golbat. He should expect a toxic so I'm hesitant to use it in case Typhlosion comes in. I'm not entirely sure of how strong Leafeon is just yet either, especially after a Swords Dance. If I try to toxic him and he gets a +4 he might be able to actually start doing some damage. To be safe, Haze will eliminate any stat boosts he takes as well as not wasting time trying to toxic a sleeping pokemon or a pokemon that lum berries itself like a bitch. I could aways U-turn for momentum and the ecstasy I get from doing it with SE damage, but Golbat is kind of a Leafeon counter so I'll stick around.

Start of turn 18
The foe's Leafeon used Yawn!
Sleep Clause prevented the sleep inducing effect of the move from working.
But it failed!

Golbat used Haze!
All stat changes were eliminated!

The sunlight is strong!

(85%)VS
(100%)
...What. I'll go out on a limb here and assume that he forgot he already put Magneton to sleep. At least I got rid of his sword dances which is good. With that taken care of, I have two options. Either toxic or U-turn. Leafeon can get pretty dangerous so I'd feel much safer just letting him take poison damage and dieing slowly and painfully. At the same time, U-turn would give me a good position, but in my opinion I'm in the best position I can be at right now with a 4x resist to his STAB and massive defenses. If he's smart and takes out Exxegutor I can U-turn into Scyther and if it's Typhlosion, U-turn into Nidoking. Nothing to lose, Toxic away!

Start of turn 19
JMALL2010 called Leafeon back!
JMALL2010 sent out Poliwrath!

Golbat used Toxic!
The foe's Poliwrath was poisoned!

The sunlight is strong!
The foe's Poliwrath is hurt by poison!
(85%)VS
(29%/poison)
Perhaps expecting a Brave Bird, he intended to sack his Poliwrath in favor of losing health on his Leafeon. This is better than hitting Leafeon, I still got a damn score to settle with this bitch. I could stay in and roost stall him to death, but in case of switching I can just as easily shuffle around between Magneton and Golbat. Leafeon, Erufuun, and Typhlosion would all give Magneton some waking up space and Exeggutor has a date with Scyther. U-turn this match around...well, it was never really any other direction.
Start of turn 20
Golbat used U-turn!
The foe's Poliwrath lost 5% of its health!

No Focus Punch so it's either Sub (ahaha do it you bastard and kill yourself) Bulk Up (you don't have rest) or the most likely Ice Punch. Magneton should take it like a champ and be able to switch right back to Golbat to let poison finish it's job.

Vexatious sent out Magneton!

The foe's Poliwrath used Ice Punch!
Magneton lost 19 HP! (6% of its health)

The sunlight is strong!
(94%/sleeping)VS
(12%/poison)
It must be embarrassing to see a sleeping pokemon beating you. Like Charizard in that one episode, it would rather nap that fight you. Ice Punch does little more than a cold breeze and Poliwrath has one more turn to live. He's got two options here, attack or switch. Switching is an abysmal choice and would result in a double switch. He could leave Poliwrath for death fodder, but that was already his role when he came into this fight in the first place. He could attack and predict Golbat with Ice Punch but even with SE damage, Golbat might take it better than Magneton did while covering Focus Punch. Even if it's a double switch, Golbat always has U-turn to deal with it. Golbat, time for a Goaaaaallll (yah sue me)

Start of turn 21
Vexatious called Magneton back!

There's that Focus Punch! Golbat loves getting punched, he's kinda into that kinky shit. Once Poliwrath dies from poison I can either U-turn out or start another exciting Toxic Stall.

Golbat lost 28 HP! (7% of its health)

The sunlight is strong!
The foe's Poliwrath fainted!

(78%)VS
(0%)
5-4
JMALL2010 sent out Typhlosion!
(78%)VS
(100%)
Not a bad switch on his part. With him asleep he can't be toxic'd and from what I've shown my opponent (U-turn, Haze, Toxic) he can assume the last move is roost and that I don't have Brave Bird to his his Typhlosion hard. He sacked his Poliwrath so that he might wake up and wreck havoc on my team. With no special defense investment, even Golbat might have issues eating his fire attacks like Eruption. My only option here is to U-turn out and hope he stays sleeping. Some might ask "but why U-turn he's faster!" well that's obvious. Golbat can eat a hit and perform his scouting job before I throw in my response. I'd prefer him to go first so I can see if he intends to stay asleep or not.

Start of turn 22
The foe's Typhlosion is fast asleep!

Golbat used U-turn!
The foe's Typhlosion lost 9% of its health!
Vexatious sent out Nidoking!

The sunlight is strong!
(20%)VS
(91%)
The beast is still slumbering and Nidoking is ready to play. Between Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and Earth Power only two are really needed. Flamethrower becomes incredible thanks to his sun and matches Earth Power in strength. It can hit any of his switch ins for SE damage and most likely KO all of them. However, Typhlosion waking up could ruin my team leaving it up to Golbat. Even if Golbat took him down, he would possibly die in the process leaving me wide open for a Leafeon sweep. Typhlosion came in here to wake up and Nidoking acme in here to make sure he never wakes up again. Earth Power does a minimum 90.6% (convenient) damage to Typhlosion so this KO will come down to sleep. If he wakes up, I'm in trouble and I lose Nidoking, if he doesn't, that's another pokemon down.

Start of turn 23
The foe's Typhlosion is fast asleep!

Nidoking used Earth Power!
It's super effective!
The foe's Typhlosion lost 90% of its health!
The foe's Typhlosion fainted!
(20%)VS
(0%)
5-3
The sunlight is strong!
(20%)VS
(100%)
Alright! The Earth shook and the fire pit crumbled into ashes. Nidoking took out the last remaining huge threat on my team and has made life all that much easier. Thanks to Persian, Nidoking could do his job easily.

He brings in Leafeon to strike back as his last stop to Nidoking. Golbat eats whatever he throws easily and can haze away Swords Dance. However, Leafeon has been dancing and yawning my switches before so it might not be so bad to look into Flamethrower. A flamethrower can kill anything left on his team in one shot. At the same time, so can Scyther and Golbat. Between toxic and U-turn, those two pokemon alone can handle whatever he can throw at me. Leaving Nidoking can either give me a faster win, or a more delayed win, but regardless if he goes down now that Ninetales and Typhlosion are down it won't hurt my team.

Start of turn 24
The foe's Leafeon used Leaf Blade!
A critical hit!
Nidoking lost 60 HP! (19% of its health)
Nidoking fainted!
The foe's Leafeon is hurt by its Life Orb!
(0%)VS
(90%)
4-3
The sunlight is strong!
(78%)VS
(100%)
Is this where I act like the standard Pokemon player and scream bloody murder at Leafeon criting my Nidoking for 19%?! Oh Pokemon how I love our community.

Leafeon gets an unnecessary crit in and takes down Nidoking drawing out the bat out of hell. Three grass types stand in my way while he has to work through a bat, a cat, a trio of sleeping magnets, and some scary ass praying mantis. Toxic can slowly kill all three of his threats as I stall him down. I really don't like using stall, but with Scyther as my only remaining offensive threat, there aren't many options left. U-turn is always an option if he switches to Exeggutor but I can still choose to U-turn after he comes out, if he comes out.

Start of turn 25
JMALL2010 called Leafeon back!
JMALL2010 sent out Exeggutor!

Golbat used Toxic!
The foe's Exeggutor was poisoned!

The sunlight is strong!
(78%)VS
(100%)
Harvest is getting really frustrating. Toxic hits but is cured instantly leaving Exxegutor laughing in my face. Scyther can come in to take out Exeggutor as well as damaging Leafeon and possibly KO'ing Erufuun. Leafeon with his bulk needs to get Toxic stalled for me to win this match which leaves Exeggutor a large wall in front of that goal. So long as he is around with that lum berry, I can't poison Leafeon and I can't win. Taking a quick U-turn with Golbat, I'll let Persian take his last breaths to get a free switch into Scyther. Once he's out I'll take a powerful U-turn and dent his Leafeon switch, U-turn back out with Golbat as he goes back to Exeggutor; lather rinse repeat. Let's start this endgame.
Start of turn 26
Golbat used U-turn!
It's super effective!
The foe's Exeggutor lost 36% of its health!

The foe's Exeggutor used Light Screen!
Light Screen raised JMALL2010's team special defense!

The sunlight is strong!
(67%)VS
(64%)
I'm not really sure why he throws up a Light Screen, perhaps worried about Magneton's HP Fire now that without Ninetales or Typhlosion he lacks a fire resist. In essence it's not a bad move to defend himself against my magnets, but I have a much more devilish plan than Magneton.

Seeing as Persian is alive and well, my plans can shift. Lum berry is a pain in my ass and my Persian feels hungry. If he expects the switcheroo I can easily U-turn out of Erufuun and switch out of Leafeon into Golbat. There's a lot of room for error letting me play a lot more openly than I tend to at this point thanks to Persian's breathing.

Start of turn 27
Persian used Switcheroo!
Persian switched items with the foe's Exeggutor!
Persian obtained one Lum Berry!

The foe's Exeggutor used SolarBeam!
Persian lost 181 HP! (66% of its health)
Persian fainted!
(0%)VS
(64%)
3-3
The sunlight is strong!
Vexatious sent out Scyther!
(100%)VS
(64%)
Perfect. Persian goes down to a STAB solarbeam, steals away Exeggutor's lum berry, and allows the star of my team to come in to tear the team apart. With a Choice Scarf and max speed, Scyther outspeeds a whole hell lot of Pokemon including things like Darkrai and Skymin (who I usually send him out for a surprise KO) so I'm not worried about Leafeon let alone Exeggutor hitting me. With a STABed U-Turn and three pokemon weak to Bug, Scyther is finally about to wreck shit up.

Start of turn 28
Scyther used U-turn!
It's super effective!
The foe's Exeggutor lost 63% of its health!
The foe's Exeggutor fainted!

(100%)VS
(0%)
3-2
Finally after a long hassle, Exeggutor is let go. Without his lum berry and against Golbat, Magneton, and a Scyther my opponent feels Exeggutor is useless, and he'd be right to feel that way with each of my pokemon resisting his STAB and only attack Solarbeam. Golbat can handle both Leafeon with toxic and Erufuun with U-turn. I could use Magneton and hopefully wake him up but if Erufuun gets a sub up he could passively stall me out of HP thanks to Mischievous heart.
Vexatious called Scyther back!

The sunlight is strong!
JMALL2010 sent out Erufuun!
(78%)VS
(100%)
Out comes the last member hidden in the wings. My team loves Erufuun. Aside from Stun Spore, U-turn allows me to spin around his subs and seeds and slowly let him whittle his own health away. Stun Spore could potentially cripple my Golbat or Scyther and my Magneton can't let Erufuun set up on him. U-turn is my only safe option so I have to hope he doesn't try to Stun Spore.

Start of turn 29
The foe's Erufuun used Substitute!
The foe's Erufuun made a substitute!

Golbat used U-turn!
It's super effective!
The foe's Erufuun's substitute faded!
Vexatious sent out Scyther!

The sunlight is strong!
The foe's Erufuun restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
(100%)VS
(81%)
Erufuun tries to set up his substitute expecting a toxic from Golbat. Though Stun Spore is still shaking my faith in Scyther's sweeping abilities, U-turn is the only option I have left. Aerial Ace is a viable option but if Erufuun subs again, I'd rather take my switch and avoid the Stun Spore. Pursuit and Quick attack won't help in the least, so I swear I'm not just U-turning because of my addiction. Promise.

Start of turn 30

The foe's Erufuun used Toxic!
Scyther was poisoned!

Scyther used U-turn!
It's super effective!
The foe's Erufuun lost 81% of its health!
The foe's Erufuun fainted!
(100%/poison)VS
(0%)
3-1
Erufuun drops and leaves Leafeon alone against Scyther and Golbat. With Magneton sleeping and my switch forced, Golbat makes his final appearance.
Vexatious called Scyther back!

JMALL2010's light screen wore off!
The sunlight is strong!
(78%)VS
(90%)
Nothing can stop a Toxic from Golbat which sinks this match. Golbat with his massive defenses can take anything Leafeon has to throw at him and be able to roost away any damage. With the dripping poison fangs of Golbat, this battle comes to a close. GG Leafeon, but your day is up.

Start of turn 31

The foe's Leafeon used X-Scissor!
Golbat lost 15 HP! (4% of its health)

Golbat used Toxic!
The foe's Leafeon was poisoned!

The sunlight is strong!
The foe's Leafeon is hurt by poison!

(74%)VS
(74%)
Toxic lands and seals the deal. Leafeon does laughably small damage to Golbat and ensures that he'll be around far longer than Leafeon. It was a fun match, but there's nothing more than a Toxic Stall KO so I'll be hiding the remainder of the match. Thanks for reading and GG!
Start of turn 32
The foe's Leafeon used Swords Dance!
The foe's Leafeon's Attack sharply rose!

Golbat used Roost!
Golbat landed on the ground!
Golbat regained health!

The sunlight is strong!

Start of turn 33
The foe's Leafeon used X-Scissor!
Golbat lost 29 HP! (8% of its health)

Golbat used Haze!
All stat changes were eliminated!

The sunlight is strong!

Start of turn 34
The foe's Leafeon used Leaf Blade!
Golbat lost 25 HP! (7% of its health)

Golbat used Roost!
Golbat landed on the ground!
Golbat regained health!

The sunlight is strong!
Vexatious: gg
The foe's Leafeon fainted!

Vexatious won the battle!
Vexatious: Vexxing isn't it
JMALL2010: gg

There you have it guys, you wanted Kanto I gave you Kanto. Well at least I think you wanted Kanto. I apologize that it seemed to slow down in the last final turns and ended unclimatically, but you can only imagine how hard a team like this is to play with, I spent most of my matches banging my head on the desk wondering why I ever said I would do a UU Kanto run in OU 5th Gen >< I grabbed control halfway through and held on pretty tightly. I hope you guys enjoyed and look forward to a more exciting match whenever I get around to making that one into a warstory! See you all on the servers, and Happy Holidays!

Well, that was pretty fun to read, the same with your last warstory. You're really good at this dude ;D

10/10

Congrats!!

PS: I now want Hoenn

Hmmm...well I've never been much of a fan of UU but after reading the war story, I may just try it out! I honestly wasn't surprised when I clicked on the "war story" tab and saw your third war story gleaming at the top of the list, as I think it's safe to say you're taking over the War Story section of Smogon lately. But as long as you keep on giving us these awesome reports, who can possibly complain and say you have "too many" of them? *dagger eyes at anyone who disagrees*
Anyways, on to the rate. As I said, I'm not a big fan of UU (or mono-gen teams) so perhaps I'm a little bit biased when I say it's not QUITE as engaging as your last war story, but still an all around amazing job with great commentary, interesting feedback, and good predictions on both sides though I would have liked to of seen a little more of magneton throughout. Still an amazing War Story!

P.S.
If you do a Hoenn War Story, I want to warn you in advanced that you're only allowed to use Lati@s as it is the only pokemon in the region that doesn't extremely annoy me.

Fantastic story, 10/10 just for what persian did in the beginning! This story made me realize that golbat is one he'll of a wall, 15% from a stab crit(not very effective) focus punch is lol!

P.S. If u do a hoenn team u have to include Butterfly Dance masqurain! If u don't I'll cry;-;...

Edit: HOORAY, 200th post!

Magnets, how the hell do they work?!
I laughed.

I liked it a lot. The battle wasn't as intense as your last one but still awesome. I know you warned us of that though when you started, saying this battle was average mostly.

Persian is awesome, I always like watching a Persian mess stuff up. And I am REALLY glad to see that Golbat in action as I have been really tempted to try it out. The only thing I saw that I would change on Golbat is Whirlwind instead of Haze... But then again, you don't have any entry hazards, so no point.

Either way, Awesome. I liked it a lot. Great job, thanks for the read, and good luck on your next war story!

Honestly i'd call this story a bit long winded, but that's just me.

Also, why Rock Blast on the Cloyster? Icicle Spear would have also been NE against Poliwrath, but that STAB may have got you the vital hit on the fifth turn.

Interesting team, though. Persian is a decent annoyer and Golbat does have good stall capabilities.

Did you have Icicle Spear on the Cloyster? If you did, then I don't understand why you used Rock Blast against Poliwrath. Both are resisted, but Icicle Spear would've gained the STAB needed to break his sub.

Sorry, somebody beat me to it.

This is a great war story because of your predictions, but I was never in suspense. It felt like you were in control and I never really thought you might lose at any moment. I also love the Pokemon that were used, very creative use of them, from both you and your opponent.

10/10

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The battle was very boring and one-sided. The comments were too long. I would rather see a competitive battle instead of "creative" teams. This warstory did not appeal to me.

The battle was very boring and one-sided. The comments were too long. I would rather see a competitive battle instead of "creative" teams. This warstory did not appeal to me.
Did you read Vexatious' previous war story? It is a little bit more competitive rather than a "creative team." Although the commentary is just as long (if not longer in the other war story), so youre out of luck there. Although it seems that the majority of the users tend to really really really like his commentary even with how long they are.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yes, I have read them all. That fact does not change my opinion that this was not a good battle.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm going to be honest, I really didn't like this warstory. It was boring, tedious to read and the battle was boring. Your opponent was pretty bad too. While the comments were good, good comments alone do not make good warstories. Your rule about using non OU Pokemon irked me... Smogon doesn't even have a tier list set up >_>

4/10

Better luck next time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)