Glaceon

I did not find a set for Glaceon. However, if there is one just close this one.

Well with the Winter Season here and Christmas coming up tomorrow for many of us, this just seemed right.​

Beginning Thoughts: Glaceon is the Ice type eeveelution of gen 4. There wasnt very much to it. it's got great power and under hail it's an absolute beast. It's tied for the most powerful Blizzard under hail. (Kyurem) It's fairly bulky in stats. It also has abilities that let it abuse hail much more easily than Kyurem. Out of hail however, there was really nothing to it. It has really bad defensive typing which doesnt help considering it's fair bulk. It also has bad offensive typing which it's bad considering the pure power 130 SpA Blizzard has. It has a terrible movepool so it can't do very much outside of hail period. Will it be able to redeem itself in the new metagame?
Typing: Ice​

Base Stats: HP 65 / Atk 60 / Def 110 / SpA 130 / SpD 95 / Spd 65​

Ability: Snow Cloak: Increases evasion by 1 stage in Hail.
Along with it's brother, Sand Veil, this is often reguarded as a broken ability under evasion clause. The most major problem is that Glaceon just can't abuse this ability. Without a viable recovery and no ways to really set up Snow Cloak is just there. It's a handy ability but Glaceon can really do better.​

Dream World Ability: Ice Body: Recovers HP under hail.
I feel this ability deserves mixed reactions. The positives are very well positive. It's bad HP in conjunction with it's fair bulk is a problem and Ice Body really solves that problem. However, both Walrein and Regice do this better with better typing (Walrein), a much better movepool, and bulk. That's not to say this ability isn't great on Glaceon, it's just outclassed.​

Notable Incompatable Moves with Ice Body

Wish: Wish, being an Egg move cannot be used with Ice Body. This is because the only glaceon in Dream World are the event males. Males cannot breed dream world abilities onto their offspring.​

Baton Pass: Baton Pass is a move it learns as Eevee. Glaceon is only available as itself in a Dream World event. It cannot learn it's Pre-Evolution's moves.​

Level Up Move Data

Lv 1 Tail Whip, Tackle, Helping Hand: Lv8 Sand Attack: Lv 15 Icy Wind: Lv 22 Quick Attack: Lv 29 Bite: Lv 36 Ice Shard: Lv 43 Ice Fang: Lv 50 Last Resort: Lv 57 Mirror Coat: Lv 64 Hail: Lv 70 Blizzard: Lv 78 Barrier​

TM move Data

Tm 5 Roar, 6 Toxic, 7 Hail, 10 Hidden Power, 11 Sunny Day, 13 Ice Beam, 14 Blizzard, 15 Hyper Beam, 17 Protect, 18 Rain Dance, 21 Frustration, 27 Return, 28 Dig, 30 Shadow Ball, 32 Double Team, 42 Facade, 44 Rest, 45 Attract, 48 Sing-a-round, 49 Echo Voice, 67 Vengance, 68 Giga Impact, 79 Ice Breath, 83 Cheer Up, 87 Swagger, 90 Substitute, 94 Rock Smash, Hm 4 Strength​

Notable New TM Moves
Tm 79 Ice Breath: When this move hit's the target, it will always result in a critical hit. Special Ice / BP 40 / Acc 90​

Info: It's a fair option for Glaceon. Sense it's always a crit that means it can break through CM sweepers much more handily. Other than that there's not much to it.

Egg Move Data

Charm, Flail, Endure, Curse, Tickle, Wish, Yawn, Fake Tears, Covet, Detect, Natual Gift, Assist Power, Syncronize​

Move Sets

Oh crap I cant feel my toes
Glaceon @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Cloak
Nature: Modest
Evs: 252 SpA, 252 Hp, 4 Spd
~ Blizzard
~ Hidden Power
~ Baton Pass
~ Ice Breath
Info: There's nothing terribly wrong with this set. Glaceon is tied for the Highest SpA among Ice types with Kyurem. It seems only fair that it gets its own Specs set. Blizzard is for stab and Hidden Power is for coverage. Baton Pass is to scout for counters. The most major addition to this moveset is Ice Breath. While it pails in comparision to Ice Beam it does have the benifit of breaking through CM sweepers which is a bonus over Ice Beam.

Walrein without the blubber and tusks
Glaceon @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body
Nature: Calm
Evs: 252 HP, 252 SpD , 4 SpA
~ Blizzard
~ Toxic
~ Substitute
~ Protect
Info: The title Says it all. This set does what Walrein does but with worse typing and greater Power. The set up here is simple. Stall out your opponent with Toxic and Substitute. However this set also has some power with Blizzard. It's gonna hurt anything nutreal. Unlike Walrein however this set on Glaceon has real problems with Steel types.​

Wait Glaceon can set up?! Has hell frozen over!?
Glaceon @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Cloak
Nature: Quiet
Evs: 252 SpA, 252 Spd, 4 Atk

~ Blizzard / Ice Beam
~ Water Pulse
~ Ice Shard
~ Cheer Up​
Info: I'll admit it. This was a randum whim to check out Cheer up. However, +1 Blizzard could be a true beast. Cheer Up can also increase your Atk which makes Ice Shard a viable option. While Water Pulse has abysmal BP, it can be powered up with Cheer up which also makes it viable.

Final Thoughts
Glaceon hasn't gotten very much in the tansition from 4th to 5th gen. It got Ice body, which some pokes do better, Ice Breath which can substitute for Blizzard as a just in case and Cheer up which I'm unsure it can really abuse. Glaceon hasnt been nerfed persay. It was given the tools it needed to mabye jump up to uu. That said it's still not very good. It's ok and that's ok.​

Just because some Pokémon do Ice Body better than Glaceon doesn't mean it isn't useful. It is useful, but it shouldn't be the crux of a set.

I don't have much to lend, but either I'm mistaken or Ice Beam is more powerful than Ice Breath (base 95> base 40x2=80), unless the opponent has boosted a couple times of course

I didn't say it wasn't useful. "That's not to say this ability isn't great on Glaceon but it's just outclassed." I can see an Ice body set being useable in uu (or nu sense Walrein might be uu.) I would like to work with Ice body because it's a better ability to take advantage of Glaceon's reasonable bulk.

@Lightsabre

Ice Breath is always a crit. You need to add that along with the stab bonus. (x1.5)

breh

強いだね
Choice Specs is the only one worth using. Still it 2HKOes the metagame. Then again, it is outclassed by Kyurem....

poor glaceon, once again condemned to uu

Also OP you're not very smart are you? Ice breath is weaker than ice beam.

1.5*40*2=120
95*1.5=142.5

TBH you shouldn't be using either; don't use glaceon outside of hail.

Specs set should have max HP and ice body.

As Breludicolo said, Ice Breath is weaker than Ice Beam after all the calculations are done.

This would make it not worth using...

But, it ignores Light Screen.

Still, Ice Breath has 90% accuracy while Ice Beam has 100%. That shouldn't matter, though.

But, the difference between the damages is greater if the target is weak to Ice.

It should be worth noting that Ice Body and Baton Pass are illegal together.

I really thought Ice breath would've been more powerful. (I was thinking crit was x3 because of super luck) That really sucks

a Scarf set might be viable under the hail. Super strong blizzard, and what he has over Kyurem under hail is Snow Cloak and Ice Body.

Though it really stinks that he didn't get much at all this generation.

The only time when Ice Breath will be more powerful (besides when the opponent has raised Sp.Def) is if a Pokémon with it is given Sniper or Technician with an ability-changing move. Smeargle already has Technician, but its Special Attack is so low and it doesn't even get STAB.

On top of that, every Pokémon that learns Ice Breath also learns Ice Beam.

But, there is one more advantage to using Ice Breath. If the user's Special Attack is lowered, then it doesn't do less damage.

But, no Pokémon can, or will, use Bark Out anyway.

I really thought Ice breath would've been more powerful. (I was thinking crit was x3 because of super luck) That really sucks
I don't understand this :P

Glaceon loses the Game, along with a few other older pokemon that didn't really get much. Oh well, UU will welcome it with open arms. Lower tiers have to exist, anyway.

Ran one as a defensive lead in to start Hail.

Glaceon Snow Cloak @ Rugged Helmet
252 HP/Def, 4SpD
-Hail, Hidden Power Fire, Ice Breath, Wish

Took a Dynamic Punch from a Machamp to have about 40% hp left. I rather enjoy it as a defensive pivot between switches as it is rather good at support. And Curse boosted Ice Shards are pretty nice.

Works well with Red Card and Heal Bell.

@ Conway

Sense it was resisted by 2 major typings (Water Steel) Yea you can complain that it beats dragon but being easily resisted by those two types is really bad for ice. (Especially glaceon sense it's pure ice and therefore cant do very much of anything else.

Ice is fantastic offensive typing; it hits 9 types neutrally, 4 super effectively, and is only resisted by Fire, Ice, Water, and Steel. Dragons, Grounds, Grasses, and Flying Pokemon are relatively common this generation, Ice just has shitty defensive typing. Steel has bad offensive typing, Ice does not.

If only we had a Solid Rock Ice Pokemon.

Hidden Power,White Herb'd Curses, Assist Power from breeding. Nice improvements. If Furiijio and ice cream can do okay on their own, surely Glaceon can see some more use.

Ran one as a defensive lead in to start Hail.

Glaceon Snow Cloak @ Rugged Helmet
252 HP/Def, 4SpD
-Hail, Hidden Power Fire, Ice Breath, Wish

Took a Dynamic Punch from a Machamp to have about 40% hp left. I rather enjoy it as a defensive pivot between switches as it is rather good at support. And Curse boosted Ice Shards are pretty nice.

Works well with Red Card and Heal Bell.
I'm sorry, you should never use Glaceon to support, and you should never use Hail as a move. Those two factors make this a terrible set.

Attacking lead Machamp Dynamicpunch vs 252/252 Bold Glaceon: 72.5% - 86.2%.

Honesty, the prevalence of strong fighting types and fighting priority this generation (for example, Roobushin and Breloom) just make it hard for me to imagine using glaceon in standard. A defensive set may be able to take these attacks but most likely won't be able to do much back. If anything, I think this generation is more hostile to Glaceon than last generation.

breh

強いだね
Speaking of Breloom, Glaceon can ruin it with a substitute, blizzard, hp fighting, and shadow ball, n'est pas?
A competent breloom user will not switch it in on anything with blizzard. plus glaceon is slower.

SubLO does sound pretty cool due to ice body though...

Maybe a set like Blizzard/HP Electric/Substitute/Protect? Stallrein+godly power seems good.

Glaceon will wreck this gen
cant wait
ice has bad defensive typing btw
idk if ice body will be that good
im prolly running the same sets as i did before

First off I would like to say that glaceon has great dream world artwork!

Next I would like to say that glaceon is a bitch to use, it's around the same level as lovdisc now that their are all these new steel and fighting types...why can't gamefreak learn that pure ice isn't good...(ice isn't a good type to have anyway...)

Quick nickpick, on the first set posted you have Ice Body listed along with Baton Pass, which you said yourself was illegal.

Glaceon, while it isn't a top tier OU contender, has unique attributes that will make it an asset on a Hail team.

First and foremost if you aren't using Hail you shouldn't be using Glaceon. With that out of the way, as a specs(scarf) I feel that it is best to use it to supplement the Ice Dragon Kyreum. With two powerful pokemon shooting off Blizzards, it's sure to cause damage to quite a bit of the metagame.

As an Ice Body user Glaceon is more of an offensive threat than other users with that ability. I used a Cheer Up set and while being annoying, it also had offensive output that was quite convenient.

:/ Glaceon is far from the best pokemon, SR weakness, Ice typing are all hindrances, though I think it should be considered if one is building a Hail Team

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)