Abomasnow (Placeholder)

• Grass/Ice brings 7 weaknesses, 4 resistances.
  • Only fully-evolved Auto-Hail Pokemon.
  • Below average defenses 90/75/85
  • Decent 92/92 offenses allow Abomasnow to run a reliable mixed, Scarf set.
  • Low base 60 speed allows for hail to get up, but limits the chance of a sweep, if you intend ot sweep.
  • Great answer for Rain and Sandstorm weaknesses.
  • Nice dual 120 STAB moves.
  • Above average movepool. Lacking in the support area for a grass-type.
[SET]

name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Blizzard / Ice Breath
move 2: Grass Knot
move 3: Hidden Power [Fire]
move 4: Earthquake
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Snow Warning
nature: Hasty
ev's: 12 Atk / 244 SpA / 252 Spe

Set Comments:
  • Hasty Scarf Abomasnow reaches 360 Speed, which just barely misses the speed tie with base 115, max-speed Pokemon.
  • 244 SpA allows for an extremely powerful, special based Abomasnow.
  • Earthquake is for putting a dent in Steel types, such as Heatran, Magnezone, or Doryuuzu.
  • Hidden Power [Fire] is really for Scizor, and others like him.
  • Grass Knot will almost always be a OHKO on min/min Tyranitar, when hail is active.
  • Blizzard will put a nice dent in almost anything that doesn't resist it.
Additional Comments:

• Ice Breath is an option over Blizzard. With STAB, and the crit factored in, Ice Breath is base 120, so it will still be doing some good damage.
  • Wood Hammer can be used, but it isn't recommended. If you use Wood Hammer over Grass Knot, switch the EV's to 140 Atk / 116 SpA / 252 Spe. These EV's will allow for more physical power, and will still let Scizor be OHKOed by Hidden Power [Fire] with SR down.
  • If you really hate the recoil of Wood Hammer, you can even drop that for Seed bomb, But let it be known that you will not be getting the same KO's you did with Wood Hammer.
Team Options:

• Abomasnow pairs really well with pokemon who can actually resist her weaknesses, and stop her counters.
  • A good example of someone who can do this is Magnezone. although they share a weakness to Fire and Fighting, Magnezone is really going to stop those steel types who are preventing Abomasnow from doing her job. A Magnezone locked into Thunderbolt is going to lure in Doryuuzus and Tyranitars, which gives Abomasnow the perfect chance to get in on a Swords Dance or an Earthquake.
  • Burungeru deserves a special mention for being able to remove and cripple many steel types with Will-o-Wisp or Boiling Water. Abomasnow can also stop the bulky waters that can slow her down.
  • Abomasnow is really going to like some layers down, as it will help her get some OHKO's. Abomasnow usually doesn't ask for much, either Stealth Rock and maybe one layer of Spikes will be enough. Some good examples of pokemon who will get either or up, and maybe even more are Skarmory, Forretress, Iwaperusu, Pendrah, and Nattorei, Although the ladder three share more than 3 weaknesses with Abomasnow, which isn't too great.
[SET]

name: The Impenetrable Snowman
move 1: Protect
move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Blizzard
item: Leftovers
ability: Snow Warning
nature: Calm
ev's: 188 HP / 172 Def / 64 SpA / 84 SpD

Set Comments:
  • Abomasnow's best attempt at stall.
  • Substitute/Leech Seed combo, with Hail can take out an opponent in a very short amount of time.
  • Blizzard makes for a great, 100% STAB move.
  • 188 gives Abomasnow a leftovers number, and a leech seed number, so Abomasnow will recover the most HP as possible.
  • 64 SpA will let Blizzard KO nearly every Dragon.
  • 172 Def and 84 SpD with Calm allows for some rather impressive bulk, alongside its nice SpA in this set.
Additional Comments:

• If you feel that you're going to run out of Blizzard PP really fast, you can drop Blizzard for Ice Beam, Seed Bomb, Grass Knot, or Ice Punch. Wood Hammer isn't reccomended because of the recoil damage, which would be selfdestructive on a stall-oriented set. If you run Seed Bomb or Ice Punch, switch the 64 SpA EV's into Atk, and change the nature from Calm to Careful.
  • Everything else in the set really needs to stay. You can drop Protect for Focus Punch if you really want to get rid of Blissey or Tyranitar. If you run Focus Punch, You may want to run Careful with Seed Bomb, so you don't go mixed.
Team Options:

• On this set, Abomasnow is going to really want Toxic Spikes down. If you're using this on a team built around hail, Cloyster or Tentacruel are both great options for Toxic Spikes. Both also get Rapid Spin, so they can remove any Stealth Rocks weakening Abomasnow and friends.
  • Outside of Hail, Dust-Proof Forretress is one of the best options. Together, they can really take anything, except for Fire Pokemon such as Ulgamoth or Heatran. In that case, you can run your own Heatran which can easily stop both. Moltres is probably the best answer to both, as it is really rare that either will run something super effective against it.
  • Moltres is the best option for really, everything with Abomasnow. They share a lone weakness to Rock, although everything else that Abomasnow is weak to is resisted by Moltres. Moltres can run a Toxic stall set which will work wonders alongside Abomasnow, with it being able to poison any pokemon who isn't effected by Toxic Spikes. Moltres can also handle the steel types and bug types who constantly try to force her out.

Note that Abomasnow does /not/ get Magic Coat, despite what the other lists might say. Which is a shame, it'd have been great on a lead set.

The only Auto-Hailer in the game, has more purpose in standard than ever before. With the addition of new auto weathers, Abomasnow has more use in OU as an Anti-Weather of sorts. Will be back to add to this.
Before you go ahead and start writing this, you should know that Abomasnow is the only fully evolved auto-Hailer in the game. Not really important, but this is more precise.

I am seriously vouching for the Scarf set to be the main option. However, Choice Scarf Abomasnow is the only Abomasnow I have actually used this generation, so my opinions may be somewhat biased.

Seeing as this metagame is quite weather-based, Scarf Abomasnow becomes a terrific revenge killer. Scarf Abomasnow is able to revenge Doryuuzu, Lati@s, all forms of non-scarf Garchomp, Pokemon such as Kabutops and Kingdra [although it has to be weakened a bit], Sun abusers like Venusaur and can switch into the other weather-starters outside of Tyranitar and Ninetales comfortably.

Because it has a 100% accurate STAB Blizzard, Max SpAtk Abomasnow always OHKOes Yache Chomp. It also does 95% minimum to Latios and 102% on average, which is above a 65% to OHKO without any residual damage. Even if Latios had taken absolutely no prior damage, its dying to Hail at the end of the turn. Although Latias has a huge SpDef stat, 4 HP Latias will be OHKOed after Stealth Rock most of the time. While Abomasnow does not directly OHKO Doryuuzu, it will defeat Life Orb versions and Balloon versions have quite a good chance of dying to Hail if they come in at max HP. Plus, with Hail up, Dory's threat level drops dramatically. Or you could try your luck with Focus Blast.

I think Scarf Abomasnow is the best Aboma for this meta, at least currently.

Before you go ahead and start writing this, you should know that Abomasnow is the only fully evolved auto-Hailer in the game. Not really important, but this is more precise.
Cute catch, I thought about adding it, but I ignored it because this is on competitive grounds, so nobody in OU would use Snover, the pre evo of Aboma(obvious), over Aboma. On a side note, i'm digging all the suggestions for sets so far. Scarf was my idea for the first set posted, followed by an anti-weather, a staller/lead set, SD set, and maybe some other CB/CS sets. Any other suggestions?

I used Band to some success in 4th gen. He can get quite a good bit of coverage, especially against most frail leads.

Note that Abomasnow does /not/ get Magic Coat, despite what the other lists might say. Which is a shame, it'd have been great on a lead set.
Care to explain? :s I'm testing in game right now in HG and going to the move tutor.

Care to explain? :s I'm testing in game right now in HG and going to the move tutor.
Well it certainly isn't an option on Pokémon online, which is what I'm basing my theory on. I'll check the thread about it.

Hello I am liking what I am seeing here I do have a suggestion for an anti-weather set that I have used to great success.
Abomasnow
Item-Leftovers
Nature-Jolly
Ev's 252Atk 4SpD 252Spe
Moves-Ice Shard, Focus Punch, Seed Bomb/Wood Hammer, Substitute
Realy this Abomasnow rapes Sand and Rain, and can also prove useful to counter for sunny day teams as well. Basically he can come in and out speed politoads that are not max speed or scarf, and most tyranitars, set up hail and proceed to set up a sub and hit incoming counters. This set at the current state is walled horribly by Shandera so Earthquake can replace Focus Punch however this leaves you weak to balloon heatran so your choice. Ice shard is there to pick off Garchomps Skymins and other annoying ice weak pokes. Seed bomb for reliablility and wood hammer for power. Substitute for ease of prediction, and focus punch because it destroys dory and heatran as well as blissey. A special version can be used with a timid nature 252SpA 252Spe and 4SpD with the moves Blizzard, Energy Ball/Grass knot, Substitute, and Hidden Power Fire/Focus Punch. Play him cautiously as Stealth rock really shortens his life.

Hello I am liking what I am seeing here I do have a suggestion for an anti-weather set that I have used to great success.
Abomasnow
Item-Leftovers
Nature-Jolly
Ev's 252Atk 4SpD 252Spe
Moves-Ice Shard, Focus Punch, Seed Bomb/Wood Hammer, Substitute
Realy this Abomasnow rapes Sand and Rain, and can also prove useful to counter for sunny day teams as well. Basically he can come in and out speed politoads that are not max speed or scarf, and most tyranitars, set up hail and proceed to set up a sub and hit incoming counters. This set at the current state is walled horribly by Shandera so Earthquake can replace Focus Punch however this leaves you weak to balloon heatran so your choice. Ice shard is there to pick off Garchomps Skymins and other annoying ice weak pokes. Seed bomb for reliablility and wood hammer for power. Substitute for ease of prediction, and focus punch because it destroys dory and heatran as well as blissey. A special version can be used with a timid nature 252SpA 252Spe and 4SpD with the moves Blizzard, Energy Ball/Grass knot, Substitute, and Hidden Power Fire/Focus Punch. Play him cautiously as Stealth rock really shortens his life.
I could dig that set. I think it sounds more like a SubPunching set, so I'll test it and see how successful it is at stopping other weathers. Overall, it sounds good. Thanks buds.

On another note, I was thinking about doing a growth set. Yes? no?

In my opinion max speed on Scarf Abomasnow is a wasted effort because it just misses out on the ability to outspeed +speed base 115's. Tune the speed EVs down to 232 to outspeed +speed base 110's and then max special attack. SD and CB are not very good because both SD Abomasnow and CB Abomasnow aren't very strong. They lack raw power and require more team support and prediction compared to something like SD Lucario. Specs Abomasnow works okay in my opinion with a spread of 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpDef and Blizzard, Grass Knot / Energy Ball, Hidden Power Fire, and Focus Blast.

Well, it could be nice (Ice Shard or Punch/Wood Hammer or Grass Knot/EQ), but to get its full usage, you'd want to Sun. Which requires you to give up Hail and run Soundproof (can't be phased by Roarers like Hippo yay?) and in turn, 100% accurate Blizzard. Not to mention you now have a 6x Fire weakness (not like Abom was going to survive a FB anyway). Of course you don't have to run Sun, but I thought I'd mention it.

What are you talking about?
I'm saying that if you want to get the most you can get out of Growth, you'll have to run Sun, which has a lot of drawbacks. Maybe I should have mentioned to put that in the analysis if Muse was going to add a Growth set. Sorry if it sounded like nonsense; I was rushed and typing on an iPhone.

I'm saying that if you want to get the most you can get out of Growth, you'll have to run Sun, which has a lot of drawbacks. Maybe I should have mentioned to put that in the analysis if Muse was going to add a Growth set. Sorry if it sounded like nonsense; I was rushed and typing on an iPhone.
Well, I've come to the conclusion that Growth is terrible on Abomasnow, in general. I tried nearly everything you could run. It's Abomasnow's poor speed that prevents this sweep from working. Now if Growth was like a mini-shell break and raised speed too, then we could get somewhere. In an offensive set like that, Abomasnow can't really get in on anything, even resistances took about 1/3rd away from Abomasnow. I think i'm only going to add a Choice Band set, a Choice Specs set, and a real anti-weather set.

Ice Breath is an option over Blizzard. With STAB, and the crit factored in, Ice Breath is base 120, so it will still be doing some good damage.
Might be worth mentioning why you'd choose that. Blizzard in Hail beats evasion, either from Inconsistent or Snow Cloak, but isn't very accurate when Hail isn't up. Ice Breath can miss (either because of evasion or its own less-than-perfect accuracy) but it ignores defensive stat modifiers, particularly Calm Minds. (Shell Armor can probably go without mention, since nothing at all should be running it any more.)

Oh, it's also worth noting that focus punch will ohko Tyranitar even with a Calm nature, or at least it's been working for me. So you don't need to bother with a Careful nature on the defensive set.

Oh, it's also worth noting that focus punch will ohko Tyranitar even with a Calm nature, or at least it's been working for me. So you don't need to bother with a Careful nature on the defensive set.
Lets see these calcs:

64 Atk Calm Focus Punch vs 252/252 Bold Blissey - 49% - 58%
64 Atk Careful Focus Punch vs 252/252 Bold Blissey - 54.6% - 64.4%

and now

64 Atk Calm Focus Punch vs min/min Tyranitar - 105.3% - 124%
64 Atk Careful Focus Punch vs min/min Tyranitar - 117% - 138%

Other than that, you're right. There isn't a really good reason to run Careful over Calm, But Blissey is so much of a pain, that it kind of validates Careful > Calm. For most other pokemon, the nature difference is going to add or subtract (depending on the direction of the nature) roughly 10%, which in most cases is saving a 2HKO from being a 3HKO, or a OHKO from being a 2HKO (with hail factored in).

Subseeding completely wrecks blissey anyways, since you recover something like 25% with blissey's massive hp :p You can then just focus punch whilst you're gaining back your sub. Plus blissey itself is a rare sight these days.

Well if my Sub Punch set isn't too viable (although I have wrecked Sand and Rain teams with it) is it worth a mention under the other options catagory?

Well if my Sub Punch set isn't too viable (although I have wrecked Sand and Rain teams with it) is it worth a mention under the other options catagory?
What is your exact set?

And I've been testing a RestTalk set that is geared towards stopping weather, and oh boy does it work. It's kind of scary. I'll be back to post it later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)