Mirror Type

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kyogre used Muddy Water!
Mew used Mirror Type!

Kyogre used Muddy Water!
Mew used Surf!

Just a potential use in doubles. I could probably come up with many better uses, just remember that this could be potent in doubles.

...hm... what about Mirror Type combined with Me First? I think Mew is the only one that learns both of those, but at least it'd be a way to almost guarantee getting some kind of STAB. :0 Then again, more likely than not, it'll just be a waste of a turn and a moveslot.
Interesting. You could use it against Dragons to steal their type, then Me First them to kingdom come.

Maybe Starmie could use it on Scizor to resist U-Turn? I dunno...

Interesting. You could use it against Dragons to steal their type, then Me First them to kingdom come.

Maybe Starmie could use it on Scizor to resist U-Turn? I dunno...
Yes, you could use it on dragons, and then die to a SE dragon move. Maybe Latias could find some use for it...

Yes, you could use it on dragons, and then die to a SE dragon move. Maybe Latias could find some use for it...
What part of "Me First" was confusing you?

Obviously you'll need to be slower to avoid eating an Outrage from the insanely powerful 'mons who you'll be doing this to.

Best gimmick ever.

Triple Battle

Shedinja-Mew-Spiritomb

1st turn Mirror Type (spiritomb)
2nd turn Skill Swap (Shedinja)
3rd ???
4th Profit!

When the game comes out in the US I'm going to rape the frontier with this.

Best gimmick ever.

Triple Battle

Shedinja-Mew-Spiritomb

1st turn Mirror Type (spiritomb)
2nd turn Skill Swap (Shedinja)
3rd ???
4th Profit!
Or, if you want to take only two turns AND have the ability to use it in a Double Battle, you could do it like this.

Turn 1

Mew uses Mirror Type @ Spiritomb
Spiritomb uses Meh

Turn 2

Spiritomb ---> switched to ---> Shedinja
Mew uses Skill Swap @ Shedinja

That way, Mew will only have to survive for at most two turns before it goes invincible.

In my opinion, a nice flavour move that won't see much serious use.

Just to recap, a flavour move is a move a pokemon learns just because it could do it, like sing wigglytuff, etc.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Skill Swap fails against Pokemon with Wonder Guard. I tried this myself in Gen4, and I'm certain it still applies.

Okay, did a few quick tests. Against a Kurumiru, I used Mirror Type and it used Bug Bite. Its primary type is Bug, but the attack was super effective. In another battle against a Fushide, I used Mirror Type, and Fushide used Poison Sting which wasn't very effective, and Fushide's first type is Bug which is neutral to Poison. I did this three times, by the way, and all three of those times the results were consistent, but maybe I got lucky, who knows...and finally, against a Shinpora, I used Mirror Type, and it used Psybeam which wasn't very effective, and its primary type is Psychic.

It's looking pretty possible that it copies both types, but can't say for certain. I hope this is the case, though, because it doesn't actually tell you what type you turned into, just says, "X took on Y's typing!" give or take. If only I could find a Rollout Fushide...
Blue Ditto, if you haven't done this yet, the best way to test if it's both types or one type is to test an attack on a dual type that has one type weak to it and the other resistant to it. Ghost/Dark's a good example. For Ghost/Dark, Ghost and Dark moves superbly effect ghost types and aren't very effective on dark types. But they're neutral on the combination. That way you get three different results for the three different possibilities.

If you can't transfer, some other good (and 5th gen) examples are Fire/Fighting with rocks (Pokabu's evolutions), Water/Ground with water (That new frog), Bug/Rock with flying (The new hermit crab learns Aerial Ace. Really, way too many things do), and Grass/Poison with poison (Pokéball mushroom)

As for strategies? In a double battle you could have it used with one of your pokémon for defensive purposes. Though I think that might have been said by now and I don't know how viable it would be.

What part of "Me First" was confusing you?

Obviously you'll need to be slower to avoid eating an Outrage from the insanely powerful 'mons who you'll be doing this to.
Me First doesn't have priority, so you'd have to be faster than the Dragon type. I'm pretty sure a pseudo STABd Outrage will OHKO any Dragon that's not holding a Haban Berry, anyway, so you won't need Mew to become a Dragon type at all.

Skill Swap fails against Pokemon with Wonder Guard. I tried this myself in Gen4, and I'm certain it still applies.
I shoulda looked at the move's description before I jumped the gun...

What about skill swapping trace while shedinja is in play :P I'd assume that trace would be activated and have a 50/33% chance of getting Wonder Gaurd. Of course this is more impossible than shuckle getting the highest attack off.

on the topic of gimmicky shedinja sets, shedinja can learn mimic from 3rd gen tutors. mimic something using mirror type, then use it on sableye/spiritomb. you keep your ghost stab too.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Trace copies wonder guard in fourth gen shoddy and on PO.

smogon said:
Wonder Guard cannot be Skill Swapped or Role Played, but it can be Traced. Also, Wonder Guard can be copied by an opposing Pokémon transforming into the Wonder Guard Pokémon.

Cool move in theory, but probably rather poor in practice. Bulky Latias and Starmie can both just use Reflect and will beat Tyranitar and Scizor if used on the switch. You also have to be careful about taking Tyranitar's typing, as Surf in the sand won't OHKO, while the newly 4x Superpower will easily take out Latias/Starmie. Starmie also has to watch out for super effective EQ.

I guess they could use it against choiced pursuit users, but other than making a lure set based on that, I can't think of much to do with it.

I know it seems odd to bring it up, but could this work on a Rapid Spinner Staryu in RU or eventually NU? Switch in... Mirror Type.... Resist damage and spin.... It's just a weak concept.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Cool move in theory, but probably rather poor in practice. Bulky Latias and Starmie can both just use Reflect and will beat Tyranitar and Scizor if used on the switch. You also have to be careful about taking Tyranitar's typing, as Surf in the sand won't OHKO, while the newly 4x Superpower will easily take out Latias/Starmie. Starmie also has to watch out for super effective EQ.
yes but if you mirror type an excadrill, you're set to defeat the standard sand team.

yes but if you mirror type an excadrill, you're set to defeat the standard sand team.
That's an amazing point. If you managed to get this off on any of the top threats, really (not really Politoed, but whatever) you can get amazingly defensive. Imagine a really bulky Latias with a couple CM boosts...with Ferrothorn's or Excadrill's typing :D

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
I got into the top 10 on Smogon leaderboard using a rain team with Reflect Type Latias. It really is awesome, but you've gotta know its limits (there's no way you're gonna beat Sp Def Jirachi) and you really need to watch out for Tyranitars with Superpower, as it always KOs. Setting up on Ferrothorn after becoming a grass/steel type is great. And Excadrill can SD all it wants on you and unless it gets particularly luck with flinches, you should always beat it as long as you get Reflect Type off. The main thing that this Latias hates is phazing. Paralysis isn't a big deal, but it's awlays ideal to change into a steel type to become toxic immune. There've been times when I knew my team wouldn't cut it against my opponent so I let everything die except for Latias so it couldn't be phazed out, only to win with just my Latias.

I have a RMT with it if you wanna check it out. It's called Rain Wrecking Ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)