Cloyster

This thing is absolutely ridiculous. What can even counter this thing with any kind of effectiveness? Bulky waters are 2HKOed before they can 2HKO back. Skarmory is 2HKOed and can't kill it. Mach punch coming from technician-top and roobushin is also only a 2HKO and even 252/0 roobushin is likely to be OHKOed by +2 icicle spear.

The only thing in OU that can do something to it is Nattorei but it still dies if it's not at really high HP. I'm surprised I don't see more cloysters. If it manages to come in after something dies and set up a shell break, nothing can really stop it from taking down at least 1 of your pokemon. You would more than likely have to sacrifice a huge chunk of your physical wall's HP to kill it which then leaves your team open to further physical sweepers.

i suppose clamp would let you possibly set up more than 1 shell break if they left something in on the first turn that cant kill you, and at +4 or +6 you dont really need a second attack type other than ice shard and icicle spear

but on the other hand, if they left something that cant kill you in on the first turn, you get a second shell break on the second turn anyway, and in most cases they are swapping the first turn straight to a super effective priority user

This thing is absolutely ridiculous. What can even counter this thing with any kind of effectiveness? Bulky waters are 2HKOed before they can 2HKO back. Skarmory is 2HKOed and can't kill it. Mach punch coming from technician-top and roobushin is also only a 2HKO and even 252/0 roobushin is likely to be OHKOed by +2 icicle spear.

The only thing in OU that can do something to it is Nattorei but it still dies if it's not at really high HP. I'm surprised I don't see more cloysters. If it manages to come in after something dies and set up a shell break, nothing can really stop it from taking down at least 1 of your pokemon. You would more than likely have to sacrifice a huge chunk of your physical wall's HP to kill it which then leaves your team open to further physical sweepers.
+2 Shell Smash Icicle Spear murders Nattorei. It does 105.68-124.43% againsts max hp/max sdef Nattorei and 79.26-93.18% to max hp/max def (!), and usally has a decent chance of ohko even at full health in between and even more damage means it's dead.

This thing is absolutely ridiculous. What can even counter this thing with any kind of effectiveness?
Evo Stone Porygon2 survives +2 Icicle Spear (My Porygon2 gets 2HKOed, though) and OHKOes back with your electric attack of choice. But only if it switches on the Shell Smash

What about a Stockpile Unaware Quagsire (Or any other Unaware user)?

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 216 HP / 108 Def / 184 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stockpile
- Recover
- Toxic
- Boiling Water

(385/233/233 defenses)

My Quagsire has never faced a Cloyster, so I don't know if it can take it reliably (I mean, without any Stockpile) since it just takes neutral damage from everything (Save for Rock Blast) Cloyster usually has

Evo Stone Porygon2 survives +2 Icicle Spear (My Porygon2 gets 2HKOed, though) and OHKOes back with your electric attack of choice. But only if it switches on the Shell Smash

What about a Stockpile Unaware Quagsire (Or any other Unaware user)?

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 216 HP / 108 Def / 184 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stockpile
- Recover
- Toxic
- Boiling Water

(385/233/233 defenses)

My Quagsire has never faced a Cloyster, so I don't know if it can take it reliably (I mean, without any Stockpile) since it just takes neutral damage from everything (Save for Rock Blast) Cloyster usually has
It gets 2 hit koed by Icicle Spear if it switches in on that and Cloyster is faster and would still 2 hit ko this spread even after Stockpile (so even if it does). And most other Unawares aren't particularly good (well I guess Clefable could work but...). I'd go with that Porygon2.

Boiling Water is weak on Quagsire.

It gets 2 hit koed by Icicle Spear if it switches in on that and Cloyster is faster and would still 2 hit ko this spread even after Stockpile (so even if it does). And most other Unawares aren't particularly good (well I guess Clefable could work but...). I'd go with that Porygon2.

Boiling Water is weak on Quagsire.
But wouldn't Unaware get rid of the Attack boosts, or does it only negate boosts when Quagsire attacks?

But wouldn't Unaware get rid of the Attack boosts, or does it only negate boosts when Quagsire attacks?
It would get rid of attack boosts but...
317 Life Orb Cloyster Icicle Spear vrs 385 hp/233 Def Cloyster: 61.56-72.73% (237-280 hp) and I think Unaware only gets rid of them temporarily so after Quagsire's dead if it had a Shell Smash previously...

Uh, even without any boosts Icicle Spear 2HKOs Quagsire, I think that's what he means. Cloyster often spams Icicle Spear on the switch anyway, and Quagsire will be caught with its pants down.

Don't know if this has been posted I've found that Cloyster does EXTREMELY well in Ubers when you pair him alongside the right support, like Wobb. Encore a non-attacking move, Safeguard any status moves, switch Cloyster, Shell Smash and boom, good to go. Considering the fact nearly all ubers are weak to his moves of choice, you can expect to take down a fair few of your opponents team before Cloyster bites the dust.

I used a switcherooscarf erufuun against a lead cloyster once. I have also used cloyster to great effect. This thing is a beast, but trickscarfers ruin it.

I used a switcherooscarf erufuun against a lead cloyster once. I have also used cloyster to great effect. This thing is a beast, but trickscarfers ruin it.
True, but they'll need to be extraordinarily fast or carry Mischievious Heart to be able to outpace it since after Shell Smash unless they're 320+ speed carrying Choice Scarf (or more if it's +Spd instead of +Atk), they will not outrun. And they will need to beware Ice Shard since Ice Shard would be same priority as Mischevious Heart (and faster after Shell Smash) and after the boost it does MASSIVE damage.

And then Trick Scarfers need to get in safely and they might instead eat hits of Icicle Spear/Rock Blast...no, if you're outspeeding you need to wail on and kill Cloyster, not let it live. It's better just to kill it. Trick Scarfers are unreliable (because they're defenses are usually meh then) against Cloyster.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
In all honesty, I think that empoleon is probably the best counter overall to cloyster. He resists every move that he commonly carries. If your team has issues with cloyster, use empoleon. Problem solved.

Bulk Up Poliwrath does the job for me. I think +2 Def Poliwrath (with 156HP) takes less than 25% from any of +4 Cloysters moves, since I can usually Sub and Focus Punch away. However, this is a more general utility poke, and not a specific Cloyster counter, in which case I would run either Brick Break or Overhead Throw. Despite their low BP's, -2 or -4 Def Cloysters are going to have a hard time surviving.

Bulk Up Poliwrath does the job for me. I think +2 Def Poliwrath (with 156HP) takes less than 25% from any of +4 Cloysters moves, since I can usually Sub and Focus Punch away. However, this is a more general utility poke, and not a specific Cloyster counter, in which case I would run either Brick Break or Overhead Throw. Despite their low BP's, -2 or -4 Def Cloysters are going to have a hard time surviving.
Shell Break only lowers Def/Sp Def by -1, where Cloyster's massive defense is still ok.

as for me id rather run this set:
Mah Set ¬_¬ @ Leftovers
EVs: /252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Ability: Skill Link

~Shell Break
~Substitute
~Icicle Spear
~Rock Blast/Shell Blade
i like to run this set with my yawning uxie cause i can trap whatever gets in with sub to fool the enemy and have coverage for nattorei's t-waves and chansey setups

This is a fun set to think about imo :3

Cloyster @ Leftovers/Life Orb/Chople Berry
252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 SpDef
Modest / Overcoat/Battle Armor

Shell Smash
Surf/Hydro Pump
Ice Beam/Ice Breath
HP Electric/Grass

Usual counters to Cloyster rely on a burn/physical bulk to counter it, but going special might help it bypass counters. Cleanly 1hkos Slowbro with +2 and Life Orb, and Ice Beam/Hydro Pump hits harder on neutral targets than Icicle Spear/Rock Blast, and it can take advantage of battle armor/overcoat to give it more bulk since it isn't relying on skill link. Ice Breath might have a potential niche use to beat CMers?

Offensive Deoxys-S counters this guy amazing. Just switch in on the shell smash or after foddering something and then out speed and OHKO with T-Bolt.

Offensive Deoxys-S counters this guy amazing. Just switch in on the shell smash or after foddering something and then out speed and OHKO with T-Bolt.
Except that if Cloyster (for some reason) is running a positive-speed nature, it'll outspeed Deoxys-S by exactly 20 points.

EDIT: Ninja'd

It may be possible, but its not very common, Ive out speed every cloyster I've gone up against. Cloysters tend to split their offences and dont maximize speed so they can get hit before using Shell Break instead of after.

This is a fun set to think about imo :3

Cloyster @ Leftovers/Life Orb/Chople Berry
252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 SpDef
Modest / Overcoat/Battle Armor

Shell Smash
Surf/Hydro Pump
Ice Beam/Ice Breath
HP Electric/Grass

Usual counters to Cloyster rely on a burn/physical bulk to counter it, but going special might help it bypass counters. Cleanly 1hkos Slowbro with +2 and Life Orb, and Ice Beam/Hydro Pump hits harder on neutral targets than Icicle Spear/Rock Blast, and it can take advantage of battle armor/overcoat to give it more bulk since it isn't relying on skill link. Ice Breath might have a potential niche use to beat CMers?
Truth be told, Omastar can do this much better, WAY higher SpA, and with Rain/SS destroy EVERYTHING! Slap a focus sash on to survive a hit and sweep, whilst looking out for priority.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)