The 2010-11 Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Berbatov was clearly diving and it's really unusual that Howard Webb did such a shitty job today. The Red card was questionable as well, probably a bit too harsh. Loosing Gerrard was very unfortunate though, as he was Liverpool's best player on the field. Seriously, Howard Webb was HORRIBLE.

As usual, Man Utd play with their horrible and unattractive footbal, I seriously don't understand how they have fans outside of Manchester.

Luck is a huge part of the game, unfortunately.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
I can attest to what Nosferalto said, except for the Berba diving part and the United fans part ._.

Berba was not diving, he was running and his run was interrupted by Agger's tackle onto his shin which brought him down and prevented him from passing the ball.

The penalty was undeserved but in my eyes it's also partly Agger's fault, as he didn't really need to do anything from his position since Berbatov didn't have any real choice but to run out from there EDIT: and Agger's contact gave him the option of diving and getting away with it.

The red card was possibly a bit harsh because Gerrard definitely went for the ball but he also left the ground which, depending on the ref, can be a red whether he went for the ball or not and I think Gerrard should know that. My stance is pretty much the same with the Tioté one Lee mentioned, although that looked like a more dangerous tackle to me (whether it was or not is a different matter)

In other news my respect for Neil Warnock has gone up, some of his comments about El-Hadji Diouf may have been uncalled for but I found them hilarious

EDIT: Chelsea 4-0 up, maybe this will help them start building momentum (or maybe Ipswich are just shit!)

2 footed with studs is red by the law.
pah man city just equalized :(

and it is definatly the latter, ipswich are rubbish

Wow some interesting Asian Cup results, Japan needing a late equaliser against Jordan and Syria beating Saudis. Could there be another Iraq this year?

Berbatov definitely made a meal of it, but it's not a dive. Managers AND Referees both tell you to go down if contact is made to get the decision, then it's up to the referee to make the choice. It's a penalty, but because refs don't like giving penalties for small fouls they don't get given often so people think it's harsh or not a penalty. It's like shirt-pulling, a foul anywhere else off the pitch, except in the box. Red card was clearly deserved. The first replay only showed the contact, the second replay showed Gerrard lunging off his feet. Clearly excessive force, so fuck off Gerrard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOFcQLUcx6k Who's the person at 1:15 tell me so?

After that we were in second gear. Evra was MOTM for me, not Berbatov.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
He got the ball cleanly, was single-footed and his studs weren't pointing. The only thing remotely wrong with it was that he left the floor which, as far as my knowledge goes, is just frowned upon, not strictly illegal and certainly not deserving an instant red card.

It's simply a product of the 'softening up' of the English game. Note that the Stevenage player gets straight back up and doesn't appeal or anything. It was a damn fine challenge, full of passion and power - that's how the English game should be played but we're getting more and more 'continental.' 5 years ago that's the kind of thing that brings the fans to their feet and ignites the game. Not anymore.

espn said:
Pardew confirmed he will challenge the red card handed out to Cheik Tiote, who received his marching orders after a second-half lunge. The former West Ham and Charlton manager was unhappy with the decision and revealed Newcastle will make their official complaint to the FA.

"I didn't think it was a sending-off at all. I didn't think it at the time," commented Pardew. "The speed he's going at is the speed he usually tackles at - he's so fast. He has gone off the ground but with one foot and the ball is clearly away from the player. There was no intent. I've watched it three times and I've gone to see the referee and I will definitely appeal that because I think that's really harsh on the boy. He was obviously trying to get us back in the game and make an impact.''

Lee

@ Thick Club
Oh and on the subject of Newcastle/Stevenage, I wanna say I condemn this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RcvvolQvYs

but I also want to point out that all sources are implying it was a Stevenage fan who struck him, not a Newcastle fan. Apparently the fan took offense to the player refusing to give him his shirt as a souvenir. Everyone I've spoke to has just 'assumed' it was a Newcastle fan but we're the best fans in the world so it couldn't have been, innit.

yeah im incredibly disappointed with the result against stevenage, although i am unconcerned that we were eliminated from the fa cup, although i wouldve preferred not to go out this way...
newcastle should be set out of cementing its place in the premier league, not wasting time preparing for fa cup fixtures.

but the thing that really pisses me off is tiote's send off. that was a clean tackle, referees just assume it is a foul if the player with the ball goes to the ground, which is something that is starting to annoy me and a lot of players are able to abuse this fact; classic example being walcott against leeds, and i have noticed he has gotten a lot of hate for that, when other strikers would never admit that even though they had done it...

Lee

@ Thick Club
I agree completely Heist; the manner in which we went out is a bit of a bummer but it's probably best that we did go out. I said the same thing about the Carling Cup...there's nothing in it for clubs 'like us.' The big clubs can use it to bag some silverware for the season and the small clubs can use it to gain a bit of glory and a memorable victory. But for us, it's just a distraction from what's important - the league.

The worst thing about yesterday was the red card - it means that Tiote, our best player in recent weeks and a real fan favorite, is banned for the Sunderland match. Completely tragic. :(

I am happy to see Tioté's popular by Newcastle supporters. I've seen him playing for FC Twente. When he played, he did awesome, but only played when other midfielders were injured/suspended.

But Newcastle fans are not the best fans on earth, Ajax fans are (but Ajax hooligans are not).

Friendly Hamburger SV - Ajax 4-2. Ajax was horrible, only Luis Suárez (2 goals, left winger) and Jan Vertonghen (can't be blamed for the 4 goals, did well) reached an acceptable level. HSV's Ruud van Nistelrooij was awesome, 3 goals and an assist. Ajax players had the mentality "Friendly, not important, we won't work". It looked like November (when Ajax did so bad Martin Jol resigned), horrible match.

yeah sbc while you're at it i'd check out 1:54!
It's not wreckless if you mean to do it. ;) Maybe you shouldn't stand over a person who's just done their cruciates and call them a diver.

He got the ball cleanly, was single-footed and his studs weren't pointing. The only thing remotely wrong with it was that he left the floor which, as far as my knowledge goes, is just frowned upon, not strictly illegal and certainly not deserving an instant red card.

It's simply a product of the 'softening up' of the English game. Note that the Stevenage player gets straight back up and doesn't appeal or anything. It was a damn fine challenge, full of passion and power - that's how the English game should be played but we're getting more and more 'continental.' 5 years ago that's the kind of thing that brings the fans to their feet and ignites the game. Not anymore.
If you leave your feet, you can't control your momentum and you can quite easily break a leg. See "excessive force" and conduct likely to endanger an oppponent.

Lee

@ Thick Club
England have confirmed they'll be playing a friendly against Ghana in March. I fully expect us to get embarrased. :)

Anyone following the ballon d'or

Robben(WC Final,CL Final, German League, German Cup) and Forlan(Spanish Cup,UEFA Cup,World Cup Semi Finals,World Cup Golden Ball) both get robbed not being put in the World XI over Ronaldo who did fuck all last year.

Messi, wins World Player of the year, deserved it though kinda sad for Xavi he is 31 this was probably his best chance Messi has at least a good 6 years to win more.

Lee

@ Thick Club
20 or so years of being an England fan has taught me to always expect the worst, because if you expect anything more than that you'll only end up disappointed.

Ghana is a fantastic team too. They have the likes of Gyan, Essien, Tiote, Muntari and Mensah. With the progress they've made in the last few years, I honestly believe they (alongside the USA) have the potential to become a 'big' team in a few decades time.

20 or so years of being an England fan has taught me to always expect the worst, because if you expect anything more than that you'll only end up disappointed.

Ghana is a fantastic team too. They have the likes of Gyan, Essien, Tiote, Muntari and Mensah. With the progress they've made in the last few years, I honestly believe they (alongside the USA) have the potential to become a 'big' team in a few decades time.
Tioté is Ivorian.

You're right about the English national team, look at the World Championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)