Most Underated Pokemon in 4th Gen

of course! how could we have forgotten about scarf claydol?

another pokemon i see consistently underrated is dusknoir. His wall set is okay, but everyone overlooks his offensive sets (CB and subpunch) which are acutally amazing if you give them a chance.

Zapdos definitely. So easy to switch in (minus the whole Stealth Rock thing) reliable recovery, 125 base special attack and 100 speed, great bulk, SubRoost set, etc...

For me it had to be Sceptile, as a mixed sweeper with decent speed it saved me on more than one occasion.

I sometimes ran HP fire for when Scizor was popular, and easily takes down those annoying bulky waters.

Other mentions would have to be Clefable, because it was a mini version of Bliss.

Clefable. I formed a duo with Rotom-H. Rotom would absorb fighting and really strong physical moves while Clefable took on ghost and special moves. One time, a Metagross was about to explode on Clefable. I switched to Rotom before he could :)

Claydol @ Choice Scarf Trait: Levitate
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Trick
- Toxic
- Explosion
- Earthquake

I always got a good result from using shaymin and people continually underestimated him. Seed flare is an amazing move when it hits!

I really genuinely don't understand how noone has mentioned Raikou yet. So fucking fast, if it got a sub in and the opponent's Blissey/tar/lax was down, pretty much gg. Its coverage was limited to either Swampert or Gliscor/Flygon, but even so, amazing pokemon.

There will be anti-leads RNGd form the event Raikou and Entei is now BL material because he has Flare Blitz, Stone Edge, Extreme Speed, etc.

My vote goes to Jolteon. I used him once, and never got rid of him. Bloody perfect. Yeah, his only use to most people is speedy pseudo-BoltBeam-using Starmie check, but i found him great if only because of his ability.

It seems that everyone only packs counters for one Eeveelution, and once they see one, they think that all the others are automatically not on that team. I let my Vaporeon out early to set up, and people immediately neglect any possibility of Jolteon. That makes it all too easy to use Volt Absorb in tandem with Water Absorb. I once completely outpredicted a Starmie (Boltbeam, Hydro Pump and filler) by switching in Vaporeon to an Ice Beam, and then switching to Jolt on the obvious Thunderbolt, before then retaliating with my own obvious Tbolt. It's just simply good to have more than one Eeveelutioin on a team, and as Vaporeon is so common, it ain't hard to fit Jolteon on a team.

I am surprised no one brought Abomasnow up.

Abomasnow, contrary to most people's belief, is good. It counters Suicune and Starmie to no end. It can also beat a number of things like Blissey, which is something that not many special attackers (assuming you run Protect over Focus Punch) can do. All in all, my vote goes to Abomasnow

^ this is furthered by the fact that it's either taking 6% of your HP each turn or nullifying your Lefties with hail. If you're grass and don't get hit by Leech Seed, you have to eat a STAB Blizzard, and the only grass types who aren't weak to Blizzard are Ludicolo+other Abomasnow.

I feel the need to mention OU SubCharge Lanturn

Can switch into a lot of common special attackers and 2/3 of the common FWG core, set up a sub, and is one of the few special attackers that will beat Blissey 1v1 (if SS isn't up). And it's the closest thing to a 100% Starmie counter

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Zapdos, definitely. It's powerful, fast, bulky, versatile, and unpredictable. Every time I see a Zapdos and I'm not running full stall I'm thinking" Oh crap, I NEED to paralyze or kill this thing ASAP or it can sweep my team. Heat Wave and Thunderbolt provide good coverage along with the threat of either Ice or Grass. Roost gives it healing, too.

Agreeing with Cresselia being very underrated, I use one to much success throughout Gen 4.
The problem with Cresselia is the large amounts of residual damage it takes, plus moonlight restoring very little HP in sandstorm, and its problems with major threats such as Tyranitar and Scizor made her use limited.

In my opinion, at least in the early stages of D/P, Tentacruel was very underrated. It took a while for people to start to realise how good of a special wall it was, not to mention its ability to absorb and lay down toxic spikes. Also for a while Roserade was also pretty underrated. Its ability to induce sleep is very beneficial.

The problem with Cresselia is the large amounts of residual damage it takes, plus moonlight restoring very little HP in sandstorm, and its problems with major threats such as Tyranitar and Scizor made her use limited.

In my opinion, at least in the early stages of D/P, Tentacruel was very underrated. It took a while for people to start to realise how good of a special wall it was, not to mention its ability to absorb and lay down toxic spikes. Also for a while Roserade was also pretty underrated. Its ability to induce speed is very beneficial.
i'm hoping that you meant induce sleep...

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Weavile for sure. Scizor getting Bullet Punch and rising to top-threat status was a huge problem for him, but he does his damn job and nothing can truly take his place. I'm not all that surprised that the playerbase underestimates him, as he's a prime target for ladder newbies who think his SD and lead sets are the shit (hint: they're not). I'd prefer to think of him as more of a "hipster" Pokemon that very few people have mastered effectively (like Sun, ha ha ha).

I'm so used to having the things he checks covered that when I make teams without him, I struggle a lot more with Starmie, Gengar, Rotom, etc. :/

Weavile is interesting. I wouldn't say he's underrated; I think that most people know how good he can be. Its just that, in most cases, Tyranitar is a better choice. I've used Weavile a couple of times but I never found Scizor to be a problem because he becomes incredibly easy to predict and threaten with a Heatran, Magnezone, etc etc. Weavile is easily the best Pursuit-trapper in the game as well.

Yeah... the shit in this thread is a bit underrated I guess... But nothing compared to Poliwrath! It rapes everything, but its still fuckin NU! Not even UU! How it isn't used more, I have NO idea. It's bulky as fuck and STAB Focus Punches hurt like hell from anything. Access to Water-type STAB and the option to use Ice Punch is great too. Not to mention the Resttalk Bulk up set. Admittedly it was less useful in the later stages of 4th gen due to the ubiquity of Grass-type attacks, but before then it was a godsend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)