5th Gen OU Sun Article

Just a placeholder for now.

I'm just gonna post a few things for you, and feel free to leave some suggestions, constructive criticism, or anything. Thanks!

Here's my build:
1. Introduction
2. The Sun Basics
3. Sun Strategies
** -Sun Offense
** -Sun Stall
4. Sun Checklist
5. The Pokemon
** -Drought Users
** -Offensive
** -Defensive
** -Support
6. Threats
7. Disadvantages
8. Conclusion

And here's my preliminary list of Sun Pokemon and threats (suggestions?):
Drought Users:
-Ninetales

Offense:
-Heatran
-Blaziken
-Shanderaa
-Urugamosu
-Venusaur*
-Arcanine
-Victreebell
-Leafeon
-Charizard
-Tangrowth
-Togekiss
-Illumise
-Rhyperior
-Exeggutor
-Mebukijika
-Houndoom
-Shiftry

Defense:
-Cresselia
-Tangela/Tangrowth
-Venusaur
-Heatran
-Nattorei
-Forretress
-Eruufun
-Tentacruel
-Vaporeon
-Jumpluff
-Morobaeru
-Umbreon
-Goruugu
-Dusclops
-Slowbro
-Meganium

Threats:
-Politoed
-Tyranitar
-Hippowdon
-Heatran
-Abomasnow
-Blissey
-Kingdra
-Latias
-Garchomp
-Salamence
-Dragonite
-Urugamosu
Feel free to help out!

Dragons in general seem to work well against sun, resisting fire and grass and all. Lati@s switch in on Grass-types without Sleep Powder and DM, and that hurts. Mencenitechomp get freeish setup on them.

Also, should rename Stall "defense," since you can use many of those pokemon as defensive pivots in an offensive team.

Agree with the above.

I've had quite a lot of experience with Sun teams (been playing them as my primary teams all the way through Gen V) and have experimented with Sun Stall also. Basically, feel free to PM me whenever you update this and I'll be glad to read through and comment for you.

Anyway, as I see it, the most viable chlorophyll users are Venusaur, Mebukijika, Tangrowth, Shiftry and Victreebel. Exeguttor, Leafeon and maybe Doreida could possibly get a mention as they do have niches. The former 5 should all definitely be mentioned, though, and I'd advise looking at their analyses if you're not sure what to put about them. I'd also suggest perhaps splitting offense into Chlorophyll abusers, Fire types and "other".

Arcanine and Houndoom are both very viable Fire types, due in part to Flash Fire, as is Typhlosion if you're including Charizard. As far as other Grasses go, it seems best not to run any like Celebi or Shaymin so as not to exacerbate your chlorophyll sweeper's weaknesses, so I'd consider cutting them. Illumise I'm also not sure of at all, or Morobaremu, but since I've never used them I'll wait for an explanation. Rhyperior I see the logic behind, but with all the Fighting attacks flying around I'm not sure it'd work too well.

Dragon types also synergise very well on Sun teams, often functioning well as scouts, enabling Tales to come in for free with U-Turn, Flamethrower abusers, and bring useful resists. Mence and the Latis can also be used defensively.

I'm not sure of it, but there are rumours that Harvest only works to its full potential in Sun, so it may as well be mentioned once that is confirmed. Other things to include on defence are Leaf Guard Meganium, Tentacruel for T-Spikes, Vappy for wishes and fire absorption, Goruggu as a spinblocker now he's less water weak, or Gengar/Dusclops/noir for the same utility. Kingdra in fact brings a useful 4x fire weak to Sun.

In terms of threats, dragons and heatran are right up there, purely for the problems Sun has in terms of coverage with them. For this reason steel types and flash fire pokes are so useful to Sun.

I've also heard of Slowbro being used on Sun teams with sets such as Psychic/Flamethrower/Slack Off/Twave or filler. Seems like Bro's resistances would be excellent to have on a Sun team to me, as well as any other Water-types that could be used in sunlight (though slowbro sticks out to me as one of the better ones).

The tip on Slowbro,I used Slowking in my doubles team adn he worked well to renew the sun. (Yes,I DON'T use Drought Ninetails) Umbreon was one of my strongest pokemon in my sun team. I paired him with Togekiss,which also can be listed in the Defensive or Offence part thanks due the move Heat Wave and the 100% recovery of Morning Sun. But those 2 moves in the same moveset are illegal. I did combine Sun with Trick Room too to unleash the wrath of an Erupting Heatran with Life Orb and a Sun boost. This worked fine in the 4th gen,but I wonder if it works in 5th gen too.
Please note Fire types with Flash Fire in the threat list,because most sun pokemon can't deal good damage and they attack with boosted fire moves.

Great article

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Looks hot, but Shiftry needs to be on offensive threats. It's got Doubled speed in the sun, and it can double its attack AND special attack with just one move, Growth. It's got pretty flawless coverage with Dark Pulse, HP Fire and Low Kick.

Can't wait to see the article :)

I've never ran a sun team but it seems to me that Urugamosu could also be on the threat list. I run one on my team and I find it to be highly effective as majority of sun sweepers seem to be special based and after a butterfly dance he can take a hit fairly well. With the attacks fire blast, bug buzz, and hp rock he hits the majority of sun pokes barring heatran for se damage and can turn the boosted fire attacks back at the sun sweepers as well.

It might also help to include a sample team of both offense and defense at the end of the article.

Also, maybe evostone tangela could be added to the defensive list and tropius to the offensive list

Thanks for all your comments. I have revised the Pokemon list.

Old list: (for reference)

Drought Users:
-Ninetales

Offense:
-Heatran
-Blaziken
-Shanderaa
-Urugamosu
-Shaymin
-Venusaur*
-Celebi
-Arcanine
-Victreebell
-Leafeon
-Charizard
-Tangrowth
-Illumise
-Rhyperior
-Exeggutor

Stall:
-Cresselia
-Tangrowth
-Venusaur
-Heatran
-Nattorei
-Forretress
-Eruufun
-Jumpluff
-Morobaeru
-Umbreon

Threats:
-Politoed
-Tyranitar
-Hippowdon
-Heatran
-Abomasnow
-Blissey
-Kingdra

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
just minor nitpicks but no Victini or (Flame) Rotom? Both appreciate the Sun Boost and are worthy mentions. Also I remember Theroymon running Jumpluff + Wobb in the sun (sub machine Gun) in Gen 4. Not sure if it can be replicated but I just thought i'd mention it

Similarly nitpicks, but Erufuun if looking for a MHer on Sun may not be the best choice. Pluff performs similarly but has U-Turn and Sleep Powder (as well as a ground immunity) and if you really need the priority Taunts etc you could use the genies who give you better typing variety.

Rhyperior may want to go in Defensive options unless you're planning on doing an RP set, as I presume his main use is taking Fire attacks?

Finally, someone mentioned the possibility of using 4x fire resists like Kingdra to great effect on Sun. It loses its water STAB but can still do a ton of damage with its dragon attacks.

I'm a little new to the competitive battling scene, so I'm curious - why is Slowbro on the defence list rather than Slowking? Is it superior because Sun teams have problems with physical attackers or something?

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm a little new to the competitive battling scene, so I'm curious - why is Slowbro on the defence list rather than Slowking? Is it superior because Sun teams have problems with physical attackers or something?
Sun teams generally have issues absorbing powerful fighting and rock type attacks, as well as possibly earthquakes depending on the team, so having the extra 20 points in defense is more important. And the special bulk doesn't really help slowking significantly anyways.

Swampert, Donphan, and Claydol need to be mentioned as well under defensive threats.

-Swampert gains a Water resistance while keeping a Fire resistance under the sun, and doesn't even need to utilize its Water-Stab to be effective, much like Slowbro. It is a great defensive pivot and even sets up Rocks for the team, as well as being able to take weaker dragon hits like ScarfChomp's Outrage. Earthquake / Ice Beam / Roar / Stealth Rock is all it needs.

-Donphan and Claydol are in a similar boat. Both become neutral to Water under the sun, and their Rapid Spinning capabilities are welcomed by the fire-types found on Sun teams such as Urugamosu and Charizard. Donphan hits much harder with its STAB Earthquake and has priority Ice Shard for dragons, but Claydol is resistant / immune to all entry hazards, doesn't have as exploitable of SpD, and brings a ground immunity with a fighting resistance.

First of all, hello to everyone, I'm Marvin and like all of you I love pokemon too xD

Now let's get to bussines
I think you should add more sunny day users...the last thing you want is another weather inducer coming into play....And let's be honest, is better to run ninetales with 252 spa and 252 speed....she's not that bulky...

So I'm thinking of lead Ninjask or Crobat....
Crobat sounds better to me because of heat rock and heat wave....
And on Ninjask you can run teh Baton Pass Lead set; you get to baton pass sword dance and speed boost to your blaziken or you can pass him the speed boost with sunny day....either way, your opponet is gonna cry..

About the EV spreads of Crobat...I'm not quite sure yet

I've been running sun off and on for a while on PO, and i've actually gotten quite far. But that's beside the point. Anyways, I found that having something to take the fire type hits well is quite beneficial. Although I know it is soon to be banned whenever they get the tiers back up, Latios works quite well. He also gets SolarBeam, so that works well. Plus, I've found that when used correctly, Ninetales is actually an effective sweeper. Using Calm mind/sub, you can do a significant amount of damage if you sub at the right times. In fact, and I know this to be true, in the sun, ninetales can easily beat politoed, and in the rain, if he doesnt have encore or perish song, you will win. However, i have yet to try some offensive threats like Mibujika or Victreebel. I will have to try them and then see how well they work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)