Favorite SRPG

Remember the super long SRPG's of the late 1990's? The ones where you would try to figure out whats going on and took you a week to get past the first fight. For the oldies, remember Shining Force (good times)? Well I want to find out what your favorite SRPG is. So post away!

(My favorite is FFT, it took me like 1 year to figure out the battling system, then go through it in a perfectionist way, which took like another 2 years)

Just don't say Fire Emblem

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've really gotta say Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. It really has its pros and cons compared to the original, but I prefer the pros in this case, and I just really like the story and the setting.

shining force 2 has this hands down tbh. it's just fucking amazing on so many levels and god damn it brb downloading it.

other ones are final fantasy tactics advance, fire emblem (i like 7 the most), disgaea 2, and tactics ogre (the gba one, even though it's fucking difficult it has fantastic features).

FE7, haven't played 1-6, but it's IMO the best English one so far. As for other series, I've played Shining Force 1 and 2 a little, never liked it as much as FE due to the Agility system (I like it turn-based), but still pretty fun, I may go back and play it sometime. Tactics Advance was ok, Tactics Ogre is basically a clone of Tactics Advance as far as I can tell, though I haven't made it far in either. Besides the story, what's the main differences?

Obviously, I REALLY like the FE idea of turn-based fighting and fighting off huge swarms of enemies. Any other games like this?

@Smashlloyd20, Advance Wars isn't an RPG, but it is VERY good :) Especially Advance Wars 2, I think the battle system and units are overall better then any other AW game, plus Campaign Mode is a great challenge.

Gonna have to agree with vF for this one. I have so many hours clocked on this game. Something is just so immensely satisfying using a bunch of humes with Concentrate and Double Sword, or using or using an Assassin with Concentrate and Last Breath.

I've always wanted to get into FE, and I've beaten Lyn's chapter on FE7 (I think it's 7) two times and then just trailed off. I tend to do that when I play games on emulators, so I'll probably have to get it on a cart to actually get into it.

I've tried to play Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (and 2) but just how slow the gameplay is compared to some others such as FE and Advance Wars just got to me. I don't need four dialogue boxes to confirm that I want to move two squares and attack someone.

But Advance Wars remains one of my favourite games of all time.

(title change to favourite turn based strategy? cos current is restricted to only a few series and blatant clones. see: Luminous Arc)

I love Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and the second one has pretty much my favorite RPG stories of all time

"Well shit, I'm stuck in a fantasy world... Welp, let's fuck shit up @_@"

Other than that I beat and enjoyed FE: TSS, but haven't gotten into any other FE games. Advance Wars was fun as hell, but I spent most of my time in the map editor >.> Also the original Final Fantasy Tactics is hilariously easy to break (of course so are FFTA and FFTA2, but not quite on the same level).

I wish the remake of Ogre Tactics wasn't only on PSP.

Originally Posted by Fat HolyLancer9:
FFTA eventually came out, and while it was a decent game in it's own right, many felt let down, as the game, while similar in core and idea, seemed somehow so vastly different. FFT was a dark game about war, betrayal, and the quest for truth, while FFTA was a game about kids falling into a "cute" version of Ivalice, and abandoning their real lives
While FFTA was good, and the turn base was "as good" as the original, with updated abilities/classes, The original story of FFT is overwhelming, and I like it better. Plus, FFT has the real assasins who could one shot your whole team as you tried to pilfer the Genji gear off of elmdore (Oh god, lets try that with Calculators!)

Shining Force 2 was amazing (good ol' Kraken battle... that's all i remember)

Uhhhhhh, I don't really like Fire Emblem because the ones that i played were all to easy.

I'm really bias towards FFT, because it's amazing (0.o)

Why can't we say Fire Emblem? It IS pretty much the beast SRPG of all time.
This. I like 6 and 7 a lot, but the DS ones on the hardest modes are deliciously challenging.

gingbino11: Heh, I played Luminous Arc. It wasn't a bad gateway SPRG, to be honest, because it was so... easy. But yeah, I wouldn't call it a very good game or anything. Final boss was a laugh and the gameplay was kind of repetitively easy and unvaried though the mechanics, copied as they were, were nice.

I'm actually a fan of the Luminous Arc series myself, although my friends at school taunt for playing a FFT ripoff. I loved the characters and story, but the first one was very cheap (Status was the bane of later bosses and buff moves were gosend) and the second was quite easy.

The music on both were nice.

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Super Robot Wars: OG & OG2, hands down. SRW has a pretty intriguing storyline, more so than most SRPGs I've played anyway, and has an awesome battle system as well. I also loved the animated attack sequences, as well as the music, which are better than those of any other SRPG I've played.

Here's a video of the gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWuN9SrtjFs

Secret unlockable charcters, multiple routes, the large number of characters you can play with as well as all the different units that you can put them into and how much you can customise those units in terms of weapons and general stats, challenging levels, and different ending levels based on how well you've played make for great replay value as well.

I've played FE 6-8 of which 7 is easily the best, and is only second to SRW for me. Advance Wars 2 is also awesome. Ogre Battle: March of The Black Queen isn't exactly an SRPG, more like real time strategy with quite a few RPG elements, but it's an amazing game for the SNES. Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis is an SRPG, and is also damn good with a decent plot, a wide array of classes to choose from, and good battle mechanics. FFTA is also pretty cool,and offers everything that TO:TKoL does aside from a good plot, along with an insane amount of play time with its 300 missions and 1k classes etc.

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
There's a Saturn SRPG which I still enjoy playing. However to be confusing, it has 3 different names depending on whether you live in Europe, US or Japan. US name is Blazing Heroes, but in Europe it has the much longer name of Mystaria: the Realms of Lore, and Japan has the more obscure Riglord Saga.

Hardly worth mentioning, but I am a bit of an FE fan, even going to far as to TAS one of the games (in progress, but on hold due to other projects)

I wasn't a fan of FFTA2. I still haven't finished it, but I don't like the battle system nearly as much. I much preferred having my accuracy be based on position opposed to damage. I understand that, though, but getting new items through the Bazaar system was a chooooore.

Going through the bazaar and saving and reloading to see which items gave me the abilities I wanted or needed to get to the next class was really dumb in my opinion. I know I could have just looked online, but I like playing my DS as a handheld, I guess.

I actually enjoyed A2 a lot, the bazaar was annoying, but it made the game slightly more progressive in terms of quests than just giving you a set progression time like the earlier ones. The storyline was a little weaker to be honest, but still a fun game in my opinion.

I was originally going to say something much more condescending about people who like FFTA in good faith but... I just don't know enough adjectives to describe their bad taste, I'm afraid. Found that game horribly shallow and disappointing after the much more challenging original, especially considering the story was pretty blatantly targeted at children. Don't even give me the crap about escapism, having a theme does not make it intended for a mature audience.

So instead I will just focus on my obvious loyalty: Final Fantasy Tactics. I'm kind of half and half on the genre - the gameplay here usually isn't enough to keep me hooked, so if I'm gonna play a SRPG it has to have at least a vaguely comeplling story. In spite of the incredibly terrible translation it received, FFT definitely did that for me - it's easily the darkest and maybe the deepest story from a series known for(at least, at one time known for) its storytelling and I always look back fondly on it. It's reasonably challenging on your first go, which is always nice, with some always fun battles like the duel with Wiegraf and the fight against the Assassins and such. I have the PSP remake too, though I really miss the original when I play it... it's just not the same without l i t t l e m o n e y and Defeat Dycedarg's elder brother! and everything.

FFT had a really strong following among the founders of this site, actually - it was one of the more popular chat topics back on #rs and such and the first summer of Smogon we had a community Single Class Challenge effort we vaguely updated a little on the forums. Something like that would be fun to do again some time....

Pokemon :v

I'm going to go with FFTA. If Advance Wars is an option then I'd go with that but it's sort of...not really an RPG.

I never owned a PS1, so I never got around to playing FFT, which is probably why I like it so much. I had a PS2, but it was modded and didn't play burned PS1 games, so my logic at the time was why pay for a PS1 game when I can play a free PS2 game.

I might have not liked FFTA nearly as much if I had the chance to play FFT first, I guess. I'll probably pick it up soon for the PSN, but I dunno if the transition to a game I'm used to carrying around in my pocket will go well to a sit down experience.

FFTA was probably my favourite GBA game. The storyline was so good and once it was completed there was still plenty of missions to do. I am currently going through it again (on an emulator this time to not delete me and my brother's saves) and it is still highly entertaining. I love the battle system and creating the perfect clan to support eachother.

I borrowed FFTA2 of my friend and it was no where near as good. I felt the storyline was lacking in comparision to that of the original. It also seemed alot slower in general and the bazaar was just annoying. The change in the accuracy mechanics was also another let down of the game.

Does anyone still play the original - and the best? The FFTA doesn't have ~close to the amount of depth that the original had.

I'm guessing that everybody played FFTA, not FFT. Only older people got it.

FFT(Every other SRPG)>FFTA>FFTA2

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

But seriously, as a guy with magnificent taste in games it does interest me talk about the myriad of pros and cons FFTA has over the original. I would fucking love for a game to have all the best things about both the original and Advance. But that's why Advance is one of my favorite games and not one of the best games ever made. Tactics had so much room for improvement and Advance was so different but it also had problems.

Cons:
It's too easy.
In a game where min-maxing your characters is much easier than its predecessor, its a big downside that the game never poses the same challenge.
Some of the better nuances have been abandoned.
Things like archers having better range at higher altitudes, and not being able to shoot through allies with guns. Locational strategy barely matters at all anymore.
Some classes are a little too similar.
Mostly due similar classes in different races, but if certain classes are exactly the same why not make them the same class regardless of race? To be honest, this was a much bigger problem in A2.
Laws
There was just nothing redeeming about these. They only made run around the map timing it so that a harmless enough set of laws came up in the story fights.
No more permanent death
Not that I would ever accept victory if one of my guys died (I have such trouble with Fire Emblem games), but it made things matter all that much. I love my parties in Advance so much more than in Tactics, and I would love feeling like their lives were as precious.

Pros:
The races of Ivalice
I fucking the love races introduced into this game. They bring a whole new dimension to my party.
More ubiquitous classes
No more classes that are dedicated to only breaking items or only charging up attacks. Far too many classes in Tactics existed only for their stats and equipment.
The worse nuances have been abandoned
I'm so glad that I can no longer fail 3 revives in a row because my target wasn't faithful enough or the wrong zodiac sign.
No guest characters that outshine your normal people
Hey, I love my party in Tactics and Advance. But in Tactics, it was actually considered a challenge run when I play without Agrias or Orlandu or the others. Maybe because it was fucking insane, but that's how much I love the guys I make. I don't want their spotlight being stolen (and sadly you miss out on alot with Mustadio). That and with all the guest characters you don't even have much room for other party members.
Not as many exploits
So Tactics was hard even with spamming Accumulate to gain JP, it still felt silly.

As far story, calling Advance a children's story is a pretty stupid way to look at it. It's a clear homage to some of the escapist children's movies I grew up on, and the story appealed to my inner child. It still dealt with issues that were beyond children, as all good children's movies should. To put it into perspective, I enjoyed Tactics as a child. I enjoyed Advance as an adult. But Advance was also fascinating in its own right, because unlike the stories it draw influence from (and A2, sigh), instead of Marche living the dream life and some maguffin bringing him home in the end, going home is the active goal in spite of how everyone else has big issues keeping them in Ivalice. The fact that some people interpret Marche to be the real villain (which I do not agree with) only shows how much more complex the story is than the people who just write it off as childish want to give it credit for. I get that it may not have been the story you wanted out of a tactics sequel, but can you not possibly judge it by its own merits?

I absolutely loved the Ivalice in Advance and the most disappointing thing about FF12 was how little I recognized anything. Advance is definitely one of my favorite video games.

EDIT: No MofoPopo, I did play Tactics years before Advance (I played Advance several years after it came out tbh).

Advance 2. Well. Advance 2 is the story that people who are criticizing Advance are criticizing. It's the same thing but with no complexity at all and character who just wants to fight swords. I remember the scene where Yoda was like "Well the maguffin book says that if you run around and have enough fun you'll eventually get home anyway" and I was just like seriously?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)