Baton Pass Teams in Gen V

Magic Mirror Espeon is an amazing CM passer. It cannot be phazed or taunted and can set up all over most walls in this metagame.

When a female Torchic is released, Speed Boost Blaziken will also be absolutely amazing in BP teams, sometimes sweeping on his own.

Zapdos also received an upgrade with Lightningrod, providing a useful immunity along with these great resistances.

Also Multi-scale Dragonite would make a cool recipient, not taking lots of damage on the switch-in unlike other receivers such as Lucario.

Still, BP teams have the same issue they faced last gen: If the strategy doesn't work, you cannot repeat it. The list of viable BPers is shallow, meaning one cannot have a balanced team when utilising this strategy, and if something goes wrong, the team will most likely not be prepared to deal with the situation at hand.

This is why the most effective way of passing this gen won't be basing one's team around the strategy, rather having only one or two passers, one or two receivers, and the other pkes will be prepared to check various threats in case something doesn't go according to plan.
The other two BP'ing pokemon can't legally have Baton Pass either, all the DW Eeveelutions are male, and DW Eevee (Where it learns BP) doesn't exist yet. Zapdos has Baton Pass as an XD Purification move so Lightingrod and BP are illegal.

For Assist Power recipients, i'll recommend Unaware Clefable (which I love). You have recovery with Moonlight and Wish, Brick Break/Focus Blast for Dark Types, Copycat for adaptive lulz, Lucky Chant if you want to remove the chance of nasty crits, Safeguard/Aromatherapy for Status, plus lots of Stally Favourites in the form of Sub and Stall.

It unfortunately has no access to Taunt or Mirror Coat, but Protect and Copycat would allow it to throw back Phazing and Taunts, outside of people exploiting priority.

For double battles not in uber I often use clefable and ninjask first, clefable use follow me and ninjask use swords dance. I once got a +6 attack and +3 speed for my charizard, and swept

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
I find that Octillery is still one of the best Baton Pass recipients, as Surf/Fire Blast/Ice Beam/Energy Ball hits everything bar Blissey and Chansey for ridiculous amounts of damage. MM Espeon is also really nice, as people before me have stated.

I have tried a BP team in gen V, and one thing completely destroys it: dragon tail. Unlike roar, you can't taunt dragon tail as it is an attacking move, and if a dragon tailer pokemon switches in while you are setting up, you will need to eliminate the dragon tailer to start proceeding to set up, or BPing is useless.

I have tried a BP team in gen V, and one thing completely destroys it: dragon tail. Unlike roar, you can't taunt dragon tail as it is an attacking move, and if a dragon tailer pokemon switches in while you are setting up, you will need to eliminate the dragon tailer to start proceeding to set up, or BPing is useless.
Subs negate the phazing part of D-Tail.

Hm, thinking about it one of my teams is pretty similar to the screens, set up + pass style mentioned in the OP. I use Xatu for screening, since Magic Mirror gives it immunity to Taunt and whatnot (though maybe I should swotch to Espeon), and it prevents hazards being set up. Focus Sash Smeargle then Spores and Shell Smashes as much as possible before passing off to White Herb Sheer Force/Encourage/whatever it's called Nidoking. (The rest of the team is a sunny day team, which really has nothing to do with that bunch... But I wanted to test a few different things at once.)

Yeah, Nidoking needs a mention as a BP recipient. Just one Butterfly Dance makes Encourage LO Nidoking an absolute menace since it has unparalleled SE coverage. Hell, even just an Agility would help it immesely.

Likewise Ononokusu/Haxorus has the absolute strongest Outrage in OU. That thing is just begging for a Speed Boost Swod Dance pass, or whatever Mew wants to throw its way.

Then of course there's every single mon with Moxie. Every time they kill something there attack goes up. Heracross and Salamence comes to mind. Salamence less so because it lacks Outrage with Moxie, but Heracross as we all know has devastating dual STAB with decent bulk and resisting Mach Punch doesn't hurt. The defense drop from CC isn't ideal but with the proper passes you'll take out half the team before it will make a difference, if at all.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
espyjump is a great passer, and surprisingly venomoth is very effective too, with the ability to sleep its counters and abuse tinted lens to allow it to run a single attack and baton pass.

as mentioned, nidoking is a good receiver. zapdos also does well mid-chain, as it can run baton pass and agility in addition to being a powerful special attacker in its own right. sazandora and heatran are both weak to priority but both have a nice set of resistances, reasonable speed and great special attack to take advantage of CM/butterfly boosts.

Hey guys what do you think of Wobbuffet as a teammate for a Baton Passing Smeargle? The idea is to encore a move that would not harm Smeargle such as a Ghost type attack, or an entry hazard, then get Smeargle in and use Shell Break first, and a White Herb to nullify the defense drops, then as Smeargle's speed is boosted, he'll be able to use Spore against many other Pokemon without getting hit, and then get in another Shell Break to pass in +4 Atk/ +4 SpA / +4 Spe / -1 Def / -1 SpDef. With +4 Speed boosts, there is not much need for Speed investment, so one can place the investment in Defense to help take priority hits better, or on both attacking stats, although with +4 in one stat it would be good enough on its own to break anything in the way, so investing in Defense and one attacking stat could be more useful in the long run.

Smeargle can work in different ways than Mew, Baton Passing Butterfly Dance, Gear Change, Shell Break, etc.

Spore works with Focus Sash.

Smeargle: @ Focus Sash

Spore
Butterfly Dance / Gear Change / Shell Break
Endeavor
Baton Pass

Sometimes using Endeavor on the switch in from Spore causes another switch (they expect priority like Extreme Speed coming next and don't risk losing their Pokemon), so you can Butterfly Dance as they switch out, then Baton Pass to safety.

It would be good to list some Baton Pass Special Attacker recipients, such as Porygon2 whom can safety take a hit, and benefit from Butterfly Dance.

Also Simple Pokemon benefit from this, especially Kokoromori whom can turn Assist Power into instant power after a Shell Break Pass (White Herb on Gorbyss).

+4 Special Attack, + 4 Speed, and the +4 Attack = 12 x 20 = 240 + 20 (original base power) = 260 x STAB = 390 Base Power from 1 Shell Break pass.

Also, keep in mind Huntail isn't so bad... It can also baton pass, and is less obvious than Gorbyss for doing so:

Huntail @ White Herb / Liechi Berry
~Shell Break
~Baton Pass
~Aqua Tail / Waterfall
~Return / Crunch / Substitute

Keep in mind Huntail/Gorbyss are likely to be low on HP as they go second on the turn they use Shell Break, so it is likely that with a Substitute or taking the hit alone will activate Liechi Berry, which can aid in Baton Passing. With White Herb being held by the recipient, you are taking away a risk that an Intimidate user was facing Huntail, or will switch into Huntail and use up White Herb. Also, a Liechi Berry boost is stronger than the recipient using Life Orb (50% to attack vs 30%), and doesn't cost precious HP per turn.

Emboar is a GREAT recipient of White Herb Shell Break. It reaches good speed, and his attack stats reach till heaven.

Also Simple Pokemon benefit from this, especially Kokoromori whom can turn Assist Power into instant power after a Shell Break Pass (White Herb on Gorbyss).

+4 Special Attack, + 4 Speed, and the +4 Attack = 12 x 20 = 240 + 20 (original base power) = 260 x STAB = 390 Base Power from 1 Shell Break pass.

Are you sure Assist Power and Simple work together like this? IIRC, Simple only doubles the effects of the boost. But your Pokemon is still at +2/+2/+2.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
We should petition to gamefreak to release female starters (seriously, no joke). We need to have baton pass blaziken.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Are you sure Assist Power and Simple work together like this? IIRC, Simple only doubles the effects of the boost. But your Pokemon is still at +2/+2/+2.
The pokémon is still at +2/+2/+2, but Simple makes it +4/+4/+4 also for Assist Power's BP. Utter madness.

while team preview helps BP teams by showing threats to a BP team user it's also instantly shows you are using a BP team so team preview is a bit of a double edge sword here.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
while team preview helps BP teams by showing threats to a BP team user it's also instantly shows you are using a BP team so team preview is a bit of a double edge sword here.
Yeah but even in Gen 4 it wasn't hard to see if your opponent is using a BP centered team. Sfter 2-3 turns you knew whats going on.

In general, i think that centering your Team completly around Baton Passing is always a little gimmicky especially since DW Blaziken and Espeon can't get Baton Pass and these two are practically the best addtions of Gen 5 for Baton Passing (especially Magic Mirror Espeon would be a must have on any BP team).
However i really think that a short Pass from something like Gliscor, Mew and the likes to things like Garchomp, Hihidaruma (great recipient for an Speed boost though it often will die early from Flare Blitz recoil) etc. can really work wonders if you can fit this into your Team.

I think this thread was meant to suggest something different than what most of the following discussion assumed. A fiull Batton Pass team is kinda gimicky at best and I think we can all agree on that. What I see for Gen 5, nonetheless, is the return of Joltwak (with different pokemon, of course). The new boosting moves and powerful sweepers could make "quick passing" work again. So I think we should not think about dedicating teams to this strategy any more... After all, team preview really destroys bp teams: When they really can catch you off guards sometimes, you will almost always see the possibility of a bp team when you see its members. And if prepared, most teams have means to counter bping (and won't let their phazer die early or something).

Gliscor is incredibly dangerous to me. That's because it's dangerous when it doesn't have bp, too. Thus, it can catch some stuff off guard. For example, I would switch an resistent set-upper into Gliscor in order to use the turns it tries to stall. But of course, against a bp Gliscor, this is a bad choice.

Entire BP teams are risky because if it's broken, you're pretty much fucked. Thus a 1-2 poke baton pass with 2 viable recipients depending on the enemy's team seems most efficient. That leaves you with two more pokemon for general support or something reliable like a Scarfchomp for clean up.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Entire BP teams are risky because if it's broken, you're pretty much fucked. Thus a 1-2 poke baton pass with 2 viable recipients depending on the enemy's team seems most efficient. That leaves you with two more pokemon for general support or something reliable like a Scarfchomp for clean up.
Every time I take out one mon on a pure BP team, they forfeit. Every single time. A strategy so vulnerable to so many common threats really shouldn't be so fragile.

Baton pass+shell break is really useful on gorebyss. Uxie can lead well- tanking hits, setting up SR, and getting up dual screens to make passing easier. Then it can yawn and/or u-turn to gorebyss who almost always will get the Shell Break off- focus sash can be used to stop OHKOs and use the speed boost to get a safe BP off. This works better if someone tries to use Uxie as setup fodder, as they are reluctant to withdraw after a yawn and rather than giving me a safe switch, simply give me a couple of setup turns. I use kingdra and metagross as special/physical receivers respectively, but I've been looking for other sweepers to pass to, possibly mixed nidoking/queen, Luke, Infernape, or something... Also if running Gorebyss and Kingdra makes politoed rain teams really useful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)