2011 Music

some more updates:

Thomas Giles who is most likely more well-known under his name "Tommy Rogers" (vocalist/keyboardist of Between the Buried and Me) has put out a fantastic progressive rock album (mixed with electronic stuff) that I enjoy way more than his actual band.

I am not quite sure why, but I hella enjoy The Aquabats' new album Hi-Five Soup!. It's incredibly fun to listen to. It's not really ska-influenced anymore, but more of the new wave style they have established in Charge!! with a lot more electronic elements.

Iron & Wine's new album Kiss Each Other Clean is definitely great, but it isn't nearly as good as the live performance I watched two weeks ago. The passion and raw vibe is completely absent.

If you like Paramore-esque pop-rock with that occassional "emo-pop" thrown in, then What We Are by The Material might be something you would like. I know I do.

Futurepop isn't a genre I know a lot about, but Covenant released a great album with Modern Ruin. There are some weak spots, but it's a satisfying listen overall.

Red is basically a generic alternative rock/metal band that aims for more radio-play, but I would lie if I said that I don't like their albums. Until We Have Faces is another solid addition to their discography.

They seem to get a lot of shit, but I really enjoy Ritual by White Lies, mainly for the fact that it's so damn catchy. "Bigger Than Us" is an early song of the year contender. It has a few filler tracks, is so derivative and unoriginal, and is obviously build for huge arenas, but it's still pleasant to listen to.

there's a lot more, but I only listed stuff I liked

Top 20:

James Blake: James Blake
Earth: Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light
Thomas Giles: Pulse
Amplifier: The Octopus
Destroyer: Kaputt
The Aquabats: Hi-Five Soup!
Mogwai: Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will
Casey Jones: I Hope We're Not the Last
Covenant: Modern Ruin
Red: Until We Have Faces
The Material: What We Are
Iron & Wine: Kiss Each Other Clean
Stateless: Matilda
British Sea Power: Valhalla Dancehall
Yuck: Yuck
Codes in the Clouds: As the Spirit Wanes
White Lies: Ritual
Music for Headphones: Life in Mono
Cage the Elephant: Thank You, Happy Birthday
Deep Sleep: Turn Me Off

I thought Cage the Elephant's album was just ok.... really digging The Decemberists though.

I wouldn't make a personal top 10 yet, there aren't 10 albums worthy of that yet, IMO. 3 or 4 at the best.

so last night i watched the video of the bbc sessions james blake played, and the very moment after i finished watching that live performance of "the wilhelm scream", i went and preordered the album from amazon. oh my god, that took my fucking breath away.

(also i can add deerhoofs new album to the list of mostly boring 2011 indie albums i havent enjoyed so far. i appreciate the experimentation of it in a dirty projectors type art-pop way, but it's just aimless and weird in places and i haate the vocals. occasionally theres some good indie rock grooves and stuff but even at its best its not a sound i care for much)

mogwai is pretty much the only album i've really enjoyed so far this year. imma just go listen to that some more.

Ritual from White Lies is really good imo. Especially Streetlights, and Bad Love.
I was a prettty big fan of their first album as well, so I'm glad this wasnt a disappointment.

I really liked White Lies first album, I just don't feel that Ritual is up to par with it.

I feel like they've chosen to do the commericially viable sound rather than the artistical one. Will give it another couple of listens before I properly make my choice.

fuck YES. i've been waiting for them to announce when DOOM's operation: doomsday would be reissued since they half-announced it ages ago. it's the only album of his i havent listened to, and only one of the few i dont own and as ive said many times in this thread i love the man, so i am PUMPED AS SHIT

goddamn it comes in a fucking lunchbox. goddamn.

I bought a digital copy of it off itunes, maybe I'll have to shill out for a physical release. If your wondering about the quality Stoo, it's one of his weaker albums, but DOOM never put out a bad album in his life, and doomsday is no exception. It's still very good. The title track is one of DOOM's best cuts.

EDIT: just checked the link, I NEED a DOOM lunchbox.

true that. each one of his albums could be my favourite to be honest, but ultimately i think madvillain takes it (even if shadows of tommorow and a couple other moments are quite clearly the work of two guys far too high for their own good). even mm..food, but the ratio of music to skits is kind of ridiculous :/

in not so great news, detox is now due out 20th april. lame.

yeah, the thread moving to the new forum seems to have slowed things down alot :( either way, heres something i cant stop listening to that i want to recommend people check out:

jazz isnt something i know much about at all, but this thing is just incredible. it explores a load of different styles of music, from some afrobeat type stuff to some latin grooves, and the whole way it remains some of the most colourful, uplifting music ive heard for a long, long time. just the timbre of those saxophones is unbelievable. when they kick in on the first track it's so fucking gorgeous it makes me want to cry.

if you want something kinda different, i cant recommend this enough. probably my second favourite album of the year so far, behind mogwai.

edit: holy fuck, i totally didnt even register that kanye is releasing the follow up to mbdtf this summer AS WELL AS watch the throne in march. i saw the tweets but i didnt even register that. o fuck. link

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
aquabats, iron and wine, and cage the elephant have new albums?

shit i have catching up to do, like, today

when's the new death cab coming out

some more updates:

Thomas Giles who is most likely more well-known under his name "Tommy Rogers" (vocalist/keyboardist of Between the Buried and Me) has put out a fantastic progressive rock album (mixed with electronic stuff) that I enjoy way more than his actual band.

I am not quite sure why, but I hella enjoy The Aquabats' new album Hi-Five Soup!. It's incredibly fun to listen to. It's not really ska-influenced anymore, but more of the new wave style they have established in Charge!! with a lot more electronic elements.

Iron & Wine's new album Kiss Each Other Clean is definitely great, but it isn't nearly as good as the live performance I watched two weeks ago. The passion and raw vibe is completely absent.

If you like Paramore-esque pop-rock with that occassional "emo-pop" thrown in, then What We Are by The Material might be something you would like. I know I do.

Futurepop isn't a genre I know a lot about, but Covenant released a great album with Modern Ruin. There are some weak spots, but it's a satisfying listen overall.

Red is basically a generic alternative rock/metal band that aims for more radio-play, but I would lie if I said that I don't like their albums. Until We Have Faces is another solid addition to their discography.

They seem to get a lot of shit, but I really enjoy Ritual by White Lies, mainly for the fact that it's so damn catchy. "Bigger Than Us" is an early song of the year contender. It has a few filler tracks, is so derivative and unoriginal, and is obviously build for huge arenas, but it's still pleasant to listen to.

there's a lot more, but I only listed stuff I liked

Top 20:

Amplifier: The Octopus
Casey Jones: I Hope We're Not the Last
Iron & Wine: Kiss Each Other Clean
Stateless: Matilda
British Sea Power: Valhalla Dancehall
Yuck: Yuck
Codes in the Clouds: As the Spirit Wanes
White Lies: Ritual
Music for Headphones: Life in Mono
Cage the Elephant: Thank You, Happy Birthday
Deep Sleep: Turn Me Off
I fucking love between the buried and me and Iron and wine.

aquabats, iron and wine, and cage the elephant have new albums?

shit i have catching up to do, like, today

when's the new death cab coming out
Cage The Elephant's album is pretty hit or miss, but I thought Iron and Wine as well as Aquabats albums were very good.
Death Cab's new album is due sometime during spring, I think? They haven't slapped a specific date on it yet, not that I know of.

In other news, the new Cloud Nothings album is great. My favorite album of the year so far.

true that. each one of his albums could be my favourite to be honest, but ultimately i think madvillain takes it (even if shadows of tommorow and a couple other moments are quite clearly the work of two guys far too high for their own good). even mm..food, but the ratio of music to skits is kind of ridiculous :/

in not so great news, detox is now due out 20th april. lame.
Mmm wow delayed again lol........... wasn't it supposed to come in february/march? considering how lame Kush is, I don't really give a fuck about this album anyway.

I actually really like Ritual by White Lies. I'd say it's pretty on par with their debut. First 2011 album I listened to. I can't believe someone's already listened to 20! lol

PJ Harvey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va0w5pxFkAM
She's on point as always.

Dan Deacon- it will be a surprise, but I can't wait.

Lykke Li-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TTPGAy5H_E&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYLQXz0D9LU&feature=channel
Sounds like a powerful sophmore album. This girl's gonna be a super star someday, maybe even as soon as tommorrow. She's just built for it, looks, personality, persona, live presence, and sound. Hopefully this sophmore album is that breakthrough in the States she needs.

Venetian Snares- I don't know, the man's getting awfully messed up in the head. Maybe he'll finally kill himself.

Aphex Twin. We know he's sitting on 4 albums, it just is a matter of when he feels like releasing them.

Belong promises to teach us once again that dubstep is more than WOBWOBWOBWOBWOB

Little Dragon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S-WusFbxN8&feature=player_embedded#!
Fresh off their beautiful compliation with Damon Albarn, I expect some new creative things coming out of their third album. This live clip is all we have so far.

Just a few I expect to see coming out.

some more notes:

Space Is Only Noise by Nicolas Jaar is my favourite album of the year so far. It's just downright amazing microhouse/tech house. It's slightly similar to James Blake, but, imo, even superior.

Spokes' Everyone I Ever Met is great indie rock/post-rock; I especially love the sweet melodies and the superb use of piano.

The Twilight Singers delivered another masterpiece (not quite) with Dynamite Steps. It's not on par with their first two, but it shows how great good alternative rock can be.

It's not original material, but Metric's iTunes Sessions are great. It's mostly stuff from their most recent album, but the greatest thing about it are the new song arrangements which are simply awesome.

Top 20:

Nicolas Jaar: Space Is Only Noise
The Twilight Singers: Dynamite Steps
Therhythmisodd: Raw Material
Metric: iTunes Sessions
Spokes: Everyone I Ever Met
Cut Copy: Zonoscope
Adele: 21
Black Pistol Fire: Black Pistol Fire
Decoder: Decoder
Discodeine: Discodeine
Rauelsson & Peter Broderick: Replica

I didn't realize Cut Copy album had leaked until I looked at your top 20 list. It's ok, I prefer In Ghost Colours way more.

yeah i finished it and well it's the same song 13 times. ailyn(?)'s vocals are decent but i agree, the music is dull. the lack of male vocals surprised me though, iirc they were only on 2-3 tracks very briefly when usually they're quite a big part of their albums.

So far I've only heard (Thanks to school)

James Blake - James Blake
Stateless - Matilda
Mogwai - Hardcore will Never Die but You Will
Iron & Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean
Lia Ices - Grown Unknown
Destroyer - Kaputt

but since I'm snowed in today I'm just going to be spending my time listening to releases I've neglected such as King Is Dead by The Decemberists.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
bright eyes just released a new album!

it's already leaked on a few private torrenting sites, including what.cd, where i downloaded it. i am really enjoying it, finding fast favourites such as 'ladder song' and 'jejune stars'

:toast:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)