Amoonguss

breh

強いだね
Must be its English name...

Why would it switch in? If it just came in whats it normally do? Leech seed. Or Thunder wave I guess. But normally Leed Seed! Switch to Amoongus, and nothing happens. Now its going to switch out or stay in. If it leaves, some thing's going asleep. If it stays in, its going to sleep and going to be dead weight for the rest of the match.

This is just a Pokemon you have to see in action. You can't stare at it and go "Its.....bleh." Thats what I did. But its the most faithful poke I have on my DW team on PO and is surprisingly better than it appears to be.
Amoongus will be setup upon, that's what.

Amoongus is really more suited to fast paced battling, especially in the no-sleep-clause VGC. In standard, even with Spore, it's just... lackluster. WTF can it do other than sleep one pokemon and attack? I guess it can use status moves but they kind of undermine Spore.

(on a side note this has rollout in its movepool; can anybody imagine this using rollout? like physically use it?)

Amoongus is really more suited to fast paced battling, especially in the no-sleep-clause VGC. In standard, even with Spore, it's just... lackluster. WTF can it do other than sleep one pokemon and attack? I guess it can use status moves but they kind of undermine Spore.

(on a side note this has rollout in its movepool; can anybody imagine this using rollout? like physically use it?)
It just destroys some very popular pokemon very easily and then just heal up later on. Like Scizor and Natt. But only if you have HP Fire. Tis very important. And it doesn't eventually wear out thanks to it's ability unlike most non-offensive Pokemon. Like I said you should really see this thing in action. Its surprisingly good. It's only set up bait against like Chandelure with Shadow Tag. Other wise it can just sleep and run if some one tries to start setting up. Then you just kill the poor snoozing Poke. Like if Blazekin comes in I can just sub when it protects/subs and then sleep it and then it becomes dead weight.

I'll try to get battle logs or a warstory with this dude. It may seem MEH, but its not garbage that should be thrown into the dark abyss of NU.

I made a few posts about this before, but seeing as there is still hate for this beast, I feel the need to reiterate how much of a BAMF this thing is. When i first saw it and looked at it's stats, I thought it would be terrible, but after trying it out, and I can say it's easily one of the most effective Pokemon. Period. With Regeneration it is an absolute monster and absolutely ridiculous to take down.

Seriously, try it.

Hidden Power Fire should be used on all of its sets, so Ferrothorn shouldn't be an issue if you happen to put something else to sleep. Giga Drain / HP Fire / Spore / Toxic or Stun Spore is its best bet in the current metagame imo. I'm not saying its best niche is in standard, but it can certainly function.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Agreeing that this thing is a monster. I use giga drain/hp fire/spore/synthesis and it's uncanny how well it works in practice when it looks somewhat mediocre on paper.

No leech seed is a pity though.

Actually, no. It gets Clear Smog, which is a STAB (albeit weakass) move that can't be taunted. Bulky Poke+ Clear Smog= no set up.

Anyway, its too bad this thing doesn't get leech seed. Spore/Stun Spore/Leech Seed/Clear Smog with entry hazzards would be quite a pain in the ass.

Maybe his little arm-shields turn out to be WHEELS!
FUCK YEAH

Originally Posted by Fat Breludicolo

I think you undervalue Stun Spore and Toxic in a metagame full of fragile speedsters and bulky boosters.

Slightly off topic question...is this thing available on the DW? It'd be cool if I could snag one when I go through the game....with its Regeneration ability though. :D

EDIT: Got my answer....on every 5th gen poke. XD

I've seen this guy in a lot of B/W videos...and he gets stomped on every single time. Just slaughted (chansey made him struggle to death)

But if you guy's can put up a few videos/battle moments so people like me can see what you are talking about when you go on about it being impossible to kill, really useful, etc.

Because maybe those people are just using him wrong?

I've seen this guy in a lot of B/W videos...and he gets stomped on every single time. Just slaughted (chansey made him struggle to death)

But if you guy's can put up a few videos/battle moments so people like me can see what you are talking about when you go on about it being impossible to kill, really useful, etc.

Because maybe those people are just using him wrong?
I never trust DW videos >.>
I saw one where some guy switched in Chandelure on Excadrill...seriously.
Amoongusss isn't impossible to kill,but he's pretty bulky.
My new war story talks about him.
He's pretty underrated.

that thing isnt that bad, he swallowed a lot of tangrowths earthquakes (around 20 percent damageoutput from that physical beast tangrowth) although its 1x to ground and with spore and stun spore he doesnt need toxic, just a 2nd. move together with gigadrain (which isnt that bad too) and maybe aforementioned clear smog, although grass + poison isnt that great and hp ice or such should be better

sure he isnt suited for top ou with all thos icebeams around, but he can still wall extremely wall with regenator and his hp-stat

that thing isnt that bad, he swallowed a lot of tangrowths earthquakes (around 20 percent damageoutput from that physical beast tangrowth) although its 1x to ground and with spore and stun spore he doesnt need toxic, just a 2nd. move together with gigadrain (which isnt that bad too) and maybe aforementioned clear smog, although grass + poison isnt that great and hp ice or such should be better

sure he isnt suited for top ou with all thos icebeams around, but he can still wall extremely wall with regenator and his hp-stat
Ice beam aint too bad. Send him out, make him get hit by a water attack, he'll take the ice beam *barely survive maybe* and then sleep the foe. Then he can just switch out or Synthesis/Giga Drain and recover lost health. Its all about spore. This happens a lot against Jellicent/Pringles. Then he can easily Giga Drain em to death.

This guy is one of the true hidden gems of 5th gen. He's really quite bulky, good defensive typing, an amazing ability and the best move in the game. It can't be set up on because of clear smog / spore / stun spore. I can't be whittled away because of synthesis / giga drain / regeneration. It's also great at setting up rain and sun.

Also it looks cool and has the best name ever!

I never trust DW videos >.>
I saw one where some guy switched in Chandelure on Excadrill...seriously.
Amoongusss isn't impossible to kill,but he's pretty bulky.
My new war story talks about him.
He's pretty underrated.
No, I used to watch a bunch of DS import videos.
I saw him like five times, probably for spore and he got slaughtered everytime without contributing anything major.

I'll see if I can find the videos...

No, I used to watch a bunch of DS import videos.
I saw him like five times, probably for spore and he got slaughtered everytime without contributing anything major.
Seriously, bad source of information. He's super hard to OHKO if he's EV'd and played correctly. Not to mention that outside of Dream World, he doesn't have his ability, Regeneration, which is a huge deal.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
amoongus if ev'd correctly can even tank specs latios's dms!
the set i prefer on him consists of spore,giga drain and clear smog and a filler...either hp ice or hp fire or stun spore...
hp fire hasn't been of many use to me since most nattorei's are heavily sp.defensive evd and they are sometimes not even 3hkoed after lefties...i prefer to spore him since i outspeed him and cripple him effectively...
amoongus is also a very good breloom counter after sleep clause has activated since he reists mach punch and 4x resists grass..also he has clear smog which hits brellom for 150 damage rather than 140 that hp fire does and resets its boosts!
hp ice i think that is generally superior since it hits the dragon's whom u can wall sometimes and even ko them after some residual damage...
also amoongus is a good answer to serperior...since most serperior almost always use sub first switch amoongus in as he subs and then proceed to kill him canceling his boosts with clear smog each turn!!!
a very good pokemon overall!!!

amoongus if ev'd correctly can even tank specs latios's dms!
the set i prefer on him consists of spore,giga drain and clear smog and a filler...either hp ice or hp fire or stun spore...
hp fire hasn't been of many use to me since most nattorei's are heavily sp.defensive evd and they are sometimes not even 3hkoed after lefties...i prefer to spore him since i outspeed him and cripple him effectively...
amoongus is also a very good breloom counter after sleep clause has activated since he reists mach punch and 4x resists grass..also he has clear smog which hits brellom for 150 damage rather than 140 that hp fire does and resets its boosts!
hp ice i think that is generally superior since it hits the dragon's whom u can wall sometimes and even ko them after some residual damage...
also amoongus is a good answer to serperior...since most serperior almost always use sub first switch amoongus in as he subs and then proceed to kill him canceling his boosts with clear smog each turn!!!
a very good pokemon overall!!!
HP ice isn't SUPERIOR to fire. It just does a different job. I don't like being walled by Scizor/Ferrothorn so I use HP fire. Plus my team doesn't have an exact counter to Ferro, so thats another reason why he has it. Absorbs seed and rips it to shreds with HP Fire. Not so effective in rain though...

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
HP ice isn't SUPERIOR to fire. It just does a different job. I don't like being walled by Scizor/Ferrothorn so I use HP fire. Plus my team doesn't have an exact counter to Ferro, so thats another reason why he has it. Absorbs seed and rips it to shreds with HP Fire. Not so effective in rain though...
i told you without sp.attack investement amoongus cannot 3hko specially defensive nattorei,which is the most common ev spread i see...after nattorei sees that you have hp fire he is just going to switch having only lost 35%(more or less).
0 sp.attack amoonguss vs max hp/max sp def using hp fire:119-140.
after 2 turns of leftovers it misses out the 3hko by 2 hp...of course nattorei almost never will be to exactly 100% so most of the times it's a solid 3hko!
also scizor almost always u-turns on you so you don't get to kill him with hp fire,though you could always hit him in the switch but this is not the most easy thing to do...
anyway what i am saying is that i want my amoonguss to avoid being setup bait...i already have spore to deal with nattorei which is more than enough...if the opponent has a nattorei and amoonguss comes in,nattorei is almost surely the one that's coming to wall him so you get to spore him...hp fire also is shit if drizzle is on so that's a downfall also!
in the other hand hp ice hits many things that hp fire cannot and it's very useful in my opinion...morobareru can check things like salamence,garchomp and dragonite in a pinch since nothing they carry can ohko him if running some defense evs even at +1,hitting them for huge damage with hp ic.eg.morobareru with 206 sp.atc using hp ice against:
-min hp/min sp.def salamence=217-255(100% ohko after sr and life orb damage)
-min sp.def garchomp=207-243(100% 2hko after sr)
-min sp.def dragonite=181-213(most of the times 2hko,and also most of the times breaks sub after dragonite uses roost)
-min sp.def/min hp voltolos=108-128(always breaks subs and 2hkoes more than 85% of the time after sr)
in most of these situations adding a little bit of sp.attack evs helps tremendously with the above threats while in nattoreis case you will always 3hko him no matter how much sp.attck evs you run...(of course i am talking about logical ev investemnent not 252 evs in sp.atc).
i prefer to be able not to give to voltolos or to garchomp a free chance to sub in my face than to 3hko nattorei which i can already cripple with spore.
to end my babbling i think that all in all hp ice is the most reliable and stantard option(in terms of usefulness)and hp fire handles special things and is for more dedicated roles(for example if your only way to reliably kill nattorei is amoonguss then of course you will use it)...

HP Fire is much more helpful in my experience. Most Dragons have access to a thing called Earthquake which will KO Amoongus basically 100% of the time. HP Fire allows it to hit ALL steel types barring Heatran for at least neutral damage while most of them can do almost nothing back.

And Spore only works on Ferrothorn if you can hit him with it. Most people probably know by now Amoongus is going to Spore on it's first turn, and they won't want their Ferrothorn as dead weight so they're going to be switching him out, and if they decide to have something else take the Spore and switch Ferro back in, you can still threaten it with HP Fire while it won't be doing anything to you.

Also, I always make sure I put some EVs into Amoongus' SpA. I believe I used 56 in my sets, and it 2HKOs physically based Ferrothorns and 3HKOs specially based ones every time.

HP Fire is much more helpful in my experience. Most Dragons have access to a thing called Earthquake which will KO Amoongus basically 100% of the time. HP Fire allows it to hit ALL steel types barring Heatran for at least neutral damage while most of them can do almost nothing back.

And Spore only works on Ferrothorn if you can hit him with it. Most people probably know by now Amoongus is going to Spore on it's first turn, and they won't want their Ferrothorn as dead weight so they're going to be switching him out, and if they decide to have something else take the Spore and switch Ferro back in, you can still threaten it with HP Fire while it won't be doing anything to you.

Also, I always make sure I put some EVs into Amoongus' SpA. I believe I used 56 in my sets, and it 2HKOs physically based Ferrothorns and 3HKOs specially based ones every time.
Ah yes all very interesting!

Personally I dumped a lot into Special Attack so Giga Drain would heal more. And are you sure EQuake KOs him? It usually does okay damage for me cuz its not like super effective. We'll maybe from a Garchomp...?

Ah yes all very interesting!

Personally I dumped a lot into Special Attack so Giga Drain would heal more. And are you sure EQuake KOs him? It usually does okay damage for me cuz its not like super effective. We'll maybe from a Garchomp...?
Garchomp just barely 2HKO's my 252HP/252 Def Amoonguss with Outrage,so EQ shouldn't kill either.

NOTE: I cannot remember if I used 252 Def or if it was 252 Sp.Def....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)