Most Underrated Pokémon of Generation 5

Just like the other thread that started not too long ago,(Most overrated 5th generation pokemon) I decided to make this thread.

There are some pokemon that deserve more attention, they aren't seen by the big crowd who only says:"Excadrill, Nattorei, Burungeru" etc. etc. This thread is to discuss those.

Escavalier
I have been using this set:

Escavalier@Choice Band
252 HP 252 Atk 6 Spe Adamant(-Sp.A +Atk)
Swarm
-Megahorn
-Iron Head
-Pursuit
-Double Edge

This thing has great bulk(70/105/105), and a ridiculous attack stat(135). Megahorn can 3HKO's(!) Gliscor,(iirc) even though it is not very effective. When in Swarm range, the power behind it is comparable to Darmanitan's Flare Blitz. Iron Head is for secondary STAB, Pursuit is for those Psychic types who are afraid of Megahorn. I've rarely used Double-Edge, but it doesn't have many other options.

Also, thanks to Ironman for posting this set:

it seems that everyone agrees that escavalier is a rather underrated threat...

escavalier@leftovers
adamant 196 hp/216 atk/96 sp.def
swarm
substitute
swords dance
megahorn
iron head

this thing is beast...i used him to counter rain teams,especially those annoying ludicolos its swarming megahorn is ridiculous...and also its movepool might be a bit shallow but i believe it is just enough to fulfill its role...behind a sub it is a beast to take out...

Amoonguss

Thanks to Bombkirby for posting this set:
Amoongus as you said. He's so useful. ^_^

I've only used a DW version though:

Amoongus@BlackSludge
EVs: Don't quite remember but lots in SpAtk and lots in HP or SpD or D...I forget.
Ability:Regeneration
Spore
Giga Drain
Substitute
Hidden Power: Fire

HP Fire takes out things like Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Scizors who typically wall him, Giga Drain gives him back lost health, Spore is his most useful attack and allows him to set up a sub and start Draining the foe or safely Spore them. Substitute goes with his ability Regeneration and if you mess up your Sub you can call him back and restore the lost health and Giga Drain also helps restore lost health. Basically you send him out, Spore, then attack if the opponent isn't any threat to you or switch to another pokemon Switch him frequently to restore lost health and Spore before calling him back. Unlike the other sleep enduing pokemon, he doesn't slowly wear down. Its also incredibly bulky. It can survive some really heavy hits. ^_^

One annoying thing you can do is Spore behind the sub if you think the opponent is about to wake up. I've won a game against a Blazekin and another time against a Mamoswine doing that. They couldn't touch me cuz they went to sleep the moment they woke up and were only able to hit the sub before going back to dream land.

Troh

Sawk

Gothitelle

Accelgor

Stunkfish

Braviary

Mandibuzz

Galvantula

Thanks to Lucindril for posting this set:

Definitely Galvantula.

Galvantula @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spe
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power Fire/Ice

Hardly ever lets you down. Send it in on something slower and it's pretty easy to get a OHKO with Thunder, which will very rarely miss thanks to CompoundEyes. Bug Buzz kills a lot of things too, namely Hydreigon, Reuniclus and it does decent damage to Tyranitar. Energy Ball takes out Ground-types and annihilates Swampert and Gastrodon, whenever they turn up. The Hidden Power type depends on what your team struggles with; Fire gets rid of Nattorei (who is a huge problem otherwise) and Scizor, along with the odd Forretress, while Ice allows you to beat Gliscor, Salamence, Dragonite and Garchomp easier. The only Pokemon that resists this entire set is Rotom-H, so the coverage is brilliant.

Crustle

Krookodile

Elektross

Druddigon

Samurott

Cryogonal

Sigilyph

Thanks to KurashiDragon for this set:
I'd have to recommend Sigilyph as an underrated pokemon. I don't see Sigilyph around very much because of a certain blobby cute pokemon that you just wanna squeeze and luv...... *Ahem*. Where was I.... oh yea. Reuniclus looks like the prefered option because they seems similar with the same ability but Reuniclus has obviously better stats. However, what Sigilyph as over Reuniclus is it's movepool. Sigilyph as an awesome support movepool with options like Psycho Shift, Cosmic Power, both screens, and so many more options. Though it's ugly as sin and will therefore, never replace my blobby teddy cutie luvly you just wanna sleep with this thing like a toy teddy bear Reuniclus....... what was I talking about?........ oh yea Reuniclus. It's a cutie luvly the toy I got from the fair and will never let go of sleep on in the middle of the night hugzy all the time forever the most cutest thing in existence *SMACK* "OW what was that for!?!?!?" "Your talking about Sigilyph you idiot!" "......oh oh yea." Sigilyph still has more support options that you could ever want in a pokemon and should be an option on any team. Just to prove it.

Sigilyph@Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Bold
Ev: 252 Hp, 252 Def
Moves:
~ Assist Power / Psycho Shock
~ Psycho Shift
~ Cosmic Power
~ Roost
Physical sweepers beware. While Sigilyph's typing leaves something to be desired it can take Physical attacks quite well. It's also fast enough so that something cant just switch in on it like Reuniclus and force it out. Lez imagine a scenario. This Sigilyph manages to come in and is ready to set up a Cosmic Power. A Scarftar comes in threatening a Crunch. Adamant 252 Scarftar Crunch deals 47.1 - 55.7% to 252/252 +1 Bold Sigilyph. It could take the hit burn it roost off the damage and set up on that thing all day long. As I said earlier some things cant even come in on Sigilyph. A primary example of something that could come in on Reuniclus that cant come in on Sigilyph is CBtar because, while it is fast enough to outspeed Reuniclus it's not fast enough to outspeed Sigilyph. It would be crippled before it could even do anything. A good advantage over Reuniclus.

Emboar

(yep, I'm also having trouble with the new English names)

EDIT: I'm still doubting if I should go for Gen 5 pokemon only, or just all of them(like the Slowbro posted in this thread)
If you think I forgot one, you can mention it, of course

Edit2: This is probably my longest post ever.
Discuss.

Amoongus as you said. He's so useful. ^_^

I've only used a DW version though:

Amoongus@BlackSludge
EVs: Don't quite remember but lots in SpAtk and lots in HP or SpD or D...I forget.
Ability:Regeneration
Spore
Giga Drain
Substitute
Hidden Power: Fire

HP Fire takes out things like Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Scizors who typically wall him, Giga Drain gives him back lost health, Spore is his most useful attack and allows him to set up a sub and start Draining the foe or safely Spore them. Substitute goes with his ability Regeneration and if you mess up your Sub you can call him back and restore the lost health and Giga Drain also helps restore lost health. Basically you send him out, Spore, then attack if the opponent isn't any threat to you or switch to another pokemon Switch him frequently to restore lost health and Spore before calling him back. Unlike the other sleep enduing pokemon, he doesn't slowly wear down. Its also incredibly bulky. It can survive some really heavy hits. ^_^

One annoying thing you can do is Spore behind the sub if you think the opponent is about to wake up. I've won a game against a Blazekin and another time against a Mamoswine doing that. They couldn't touch me cuz they went to sleep the moment they woke up and were only able to hit the sub before going back to dream land.

There are several different sets, like that Haze set using that poison move that resets stat changes, but this just happens to be the one I use.

The only things i can found out is THAT guy(shubarugo).
Lol i might say kurimugan but kurimugan loses to anything bulky with ano weakness to its moves.

Also amoongus. That thing IS great

I too would like to back Escavalier for best underrated pokemon. Its more like a battering ram than a lance pokemon.

I use it on my main PO team and I see no reason to take it off, its fantastic. The ability to punch holes through so many pokemon is amazing. Scizor being the funniest, when people seem so sure that Scizor can beat it, then they take near 90% damage in one hit.

And its shell armour ability I find very useful. A very nice failsafe.

I cant think of many others right now that do so well yet got so little attention at the start.

it seems that everyone agrees that escavalier is a rather underrated threat...

escavalier@leftovers
adamant 196 hp/216 atk/96 sp.def
swarm
substitute
swords dance
megahorn
iron head

this thing is beast...i used him to counter rain teams,especially those annoying ludicolos its swarming megahorn is ridiculous...and also its movepool might be a bit shallow but i believe it is just enough to fulfill its role...behind a sub it is a beast to take out...

I'd use Escavalier with a CB though substitute + 3 attacks works too. Whatever they bring in will likely be able to OHKO you so I think it's safer to not boost up and just go for it, Scizor does pretty much the same thing but lets you switch in a counter so that's why he's underused. Megahorn does hit a lot harder than U-Turn but between STAB U-turn + STAB technician BP and hitting harder, I'll take the former. Or well, I would take the former if my consciousness would let me use something so overused as Scizor.

How about Elektross? I've heard Acid Bomb and Coil sets work nicely on him, as well as mixed sets. He's got decent bulk, no weaknesses, and good coverage.

I know this seems weird, but I'm confused as to why Blaziken isn't being used enough. It is incredibly pro after 1 turn of SD

Easily Amoongus. It is absolutely an awesome wall, and with Spore and STAB Giga Drain it can cause a ton of problems for teams. It also has a lot of versatility with it's 4th move allowing for some unpredictability (Clear Smog, Sub, Synthesis, Toxic... there are a lot utility options here). Regeneration just makes him ridiculously bulky.

Not many people seem to use Donphan either. With the Sturdy upgrade he's become a fantastic SR user and Spinner, which is a role he did incredibly well last gen. With Ice Shard he also makes one of the best Dragon counters in the game.

I'd use Escavalier with a CB though substitute + 3 attacks works too. Whatever they bring in will likely be able to OHKO you so I think it's safer to not boost up and just go for it, Scizor does pretty much the same thing but lets you switch in a counter so that's why he's underused. Megahorn does hit a lot harder than U-Turn but between STAB U-turn + STAB technician BP and hitting harder, I'll take the former. Or well, I would take the former if my consciousness would let me use something so overused as Scizor.
why have a choice band with substitiute?

I only very recently started playing 5th Gen but I'm astounded I haven't seen a Slowbro besides the one on my team. This guy is just completely nasty. He has the defenses in all the right places and Regeneration was an absolute godsend allowing him to come in, tank a hit, and switch out with a net gain in health! On top of this, he has what most bulky waters dream of - a reliable healing move. Top it off with reasonable special attack and access to all FIVE statuses and he's just insane. Far and away the best bulky water out there, a 100% counter to Roobushin (although he hasn't been around much lately) and most other fighting types (Machamp can't do a thing).

Here's the set I run:

Bulkybro

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Relaxed, Regeneration
252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Special Defense
0 Speed IV

Surf/Boiling Water
Psychic/Ice Beam
Slack Off
Yawn/Thunder Wave/Toxic

The minimum speed ensures that you're slower than Roobushin, yielding a weaker Payback that does less than ~25% even though it's super effective, while you 2HKO with Psychic. I run Yawn because I stack spikes and it forces switches like no tomorrow. T-Wave works well too to help support the team for a slow sweep later on. He can take more or less any physical attack, even super effective, but he likes the support of a specially defensive powerhouse too (Blissey or Chansey work fine).

Anyway, I hope he sees a bit more use because Regeneration, all the right moves, and defensive stats right where he needs them make him the best bulky water this gen (far far FAR better than Jellicent).

How about Elektross? I've heard Acid Bomb and Coil sets work nicely on him, as well as mixed sets. He's got decent bulk, no weaknesses, and good coverage.
Yeah I'd nominate him as well. I haven't used him personally, but I ran into a few that gave me some trouble! :D

I'd like to nominate Daikenki. May not be nearly as good as other waters, but he still is a cool poke, relatively versatile, and hits as hard as starmie.
My favorite set is hands down the swords dancer.
Daikenki @ Mystic Water
Adamant nature, 252 hp 252 atk 6 speed
~Waterfall/Shell Blade
~X-Scissor/Megahorn/Night Slash
~Aqua Jet
~Swords Dance

Echoing Kokoa, Daikenki can be immensely powerful when used correctly, especially with swords dance aqua jet, though he can also go special too iirc.

I'd like to nominate Daikenki. May not be nearly as good as other waters, but he still is a cool poke, relatively versatile, and hits as hard as starmie.
My favorite set is hands down the swords dancer.
Daikenki @ Mystic Water
Adamant nature, 252 hp 252 atk 6 speed
~Waterfall/Shell Blade
~X-Scissor/Megahorn/Night Slash
~Aqua Jet
~Swords Dance
Any reason to use that over Feraligatr?

Terrakion.

While I know this thing isn't exactly ignored, it isn't used nearly as much as it should be. It is obscenely strong for something that can outspeed Deoxys S after 1 turn of setup. My personal favourite set is:

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Adamant nature
4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Speed
~Rock Polish
~Swords Dance/Earthquake
~Stone Edge
~Close Combat

With the right support, it can run through entire teams.

breh

強いだね
TBH the first two listed are the only good ones of the bunch; the rest suck

@above: Terakion is veeeeery far from underrated.

I've also used Eelektross on both my 1v1 and 2v2 TR teams and I have to say I love it. Used right it runs through shit like no other.

@Breludicolo
Daikenki doesnt suck, he's good and all, but sadly outclassed. Makes a great UU pokemon, though.
@Plopper
Megahorn. Other thant that, it's totally outclassed, but that's arguably Daikenki's best set.
The only thing it has over any other water types are Megahorn and Encore. You could use Torrent while Feral goes for Encourage, I guess.

Definitely Galvantula.

Galvantula @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spe
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power Fire/Ice

Hardly ever lets you down. Send it in on something slower and it's pretty easy to get a OHKO with Thunder, which will very rarely miss thanks to CompoundEyes. Bug Buzz kills a lot of things too, namely Hydreigon, Reuniclus and it does decent damage to Tyranitar. Energy Ball takes out Ground-types and annihilates Swampert and Gastrodon, whenever they turn up. The Hidden Power type depends on what your team struggles with; Fire gets rid of Nattorei (who is a huge problem otherwise) and Scizor, along with the odd Forretress, while Ice allows you to beat Gliscor, Salamence, Dragonite and Garchomp easier. The only Pokemon that resists this entire set is Rotom-H, so the coverage is brilliant.

Mix Jirachi is extremely underrated at this point, and also considering it doesn't recieve much usage also has great surprise factor to it. It also has an amazing ability to bluff Choice Scarf and nab surprise KOes and has a great movepool to destroy many defensive Pokemon.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mix Jirachi is extremely underrated at this point, and also considering it doesn't recieve much usage also has great surprise factor to it. It also has an amazing ability to bluff Choice Scarf and nab surprise KOes and has a great movepool to destroy many defensive Pokemon.
Oh, really? I'm currently running the Jirachi analysis for the 5th generation, and I'm pretty intrigued by this. Even though I'm not as enthusiastic to try it, how does it do in the current metagame? I brushed if off due to supposedly weak damage output and Special Attack investment. Side question too: Would you run max Special Attack or Attack for this kind of Jirachi?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)