2011 Music

Oh shit.

Now, to listen, or to wait for #smogon communal listening? I did like communal first listening last time, but if I wait I will need to sleep..

Ok, I am going to listen to this 10 hours from now. Anyone who wants to join me can be in #smogon.

Also, headphones or stereo? I guess I could actually set up the surround just for this occasion, then straight away take it down again because it is big.

Have a nice day.
You'll want as much sound quality as you can get, so probably surround. It's Kid A 2011. Only not as good. I hope I'm wrong and I hope it grows on me. But for now, it's super underwhelming. And most people know how gay I am for everything Thom Yorke touches.

Keep an eye out for Lotus Flower (video), Give Up The Ghost, and Separator.

Listening again tomorrow, praying I'm wrong.

It's Kid A + The Eraser. Less Radiohead more Thom Yorke. If you expect it to go past OK Computer, The Bends, or Kid A you'll be dissapointed. Better than Amnesiac but I don't know if it's better than In Rainbows. Maybe after the 12th listen it'll grow on me even more than it continually has. (It probably will I have a raging hard on for the album right now.)

Going to listen to everything they've released prior to listening to The King of Limbs. Gonna be amazing.

(Pablo Honey isn't as bad as I remembered it to be)

Some people on /mu/ and tumblr last night were talking about how this is only the first half of the album and that we should expect the second half today / sometime in the very near future, the next week or so.

Makes sense considering the last track's name, Separator, and the fact that he says 'If you think this is over / then you're wrong' four times in that track, and the fact that there are two 10" LPs being shipped out to people who preordered the newspaper album...

Going to listen to everything they've released prior to listening to The King of Limbs. Gonna be amazing.
did this twice over the past 3-4 days. :U
Some people on /mu/ and tumblr last night were talking about how this is only the first half of the album and that we should expect the second half today / sometime in the very near future, the next week or so.

Makes sense considering the last track's name, Separator, and the fact that he says 'If you think this is over / then you're wrong' four times in that track, and the fact that there are two 10" LPs being shipped out to people who preordered the newspaper album...
that makes a lot of sense. i wouldn't say no to even more radiohead.

the first four tracks were pretty weird, but the next four were more what i like. i have a feeling it's a grower, but for now my favourite track is probably lotus flower.

king of limbs is good. expected it to be good though. there are no 'wow holy shit' moments in my opinion though, it is a bit underwhelming. drumming is neat though. feral is probably my favourite track so far.

so stoked to listen to it immediately after.

its getting some mixed reception which is pretty surprising

I thought Feral and Lotus Flower were really impressive... I'd say it's on par with Amnesiac at the moment. Also, I hope there is actually more to it. It's incredibly short for a Radiohead album. I wouldn't put it past them, they do whatever they want.

i like king of limbs; but, like everyone else, nothing sticks out so far. still need to give it a few more listens, though.

also, new circle takes the square this year, possibly?!

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I am willing to give radiohead a week, but after that, there is a good chance I will make a very big post slamming this album.

Have a nice day.

Nevermind I can't stand the first half anymore...

First Half - The Eraser Pt. 2
Second Half - Oh, there's Radiohead.

The feedback is kind of similar to Kid A's, but Kid A's first half wasn't made of 99% atmosphere. Really, I absolutely love the second half of the album. The first half is just too diluted and bloated with Thom Yorke being Thom Yorke.

they also played the unreleased 'the daily mail' live and its not on the album

and they have the newspaper edition... i mean cmon

separator also used to be called 'mouse, bird, dog' so they changed it specifically for the album

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I am willing to give radiohead a week, but after that, there is a good chance I will make a very big post slamming this album.

Have a nice day.
lol ditto

i dunno it's tough for me to be "disappointed" because TKOL really came out of nowhere.. i knew they were in the studio for a while, then knew they had finished their recording sessions... but bam earlier this week i hear web release. unexpected that nobody knew until just days prior. what i'm saying is.. i didn't have much time to get psyched up, so this wasn't a complete let down.

at ease, the clues are there for another or several more short releases. so let's hope that happens soon.

van der graaf generator are releasing a new album on 14 march called a grounding in numbers. time for me to get the rest of their albums. ~_~

Have a nice day.
We are soulmates.

This album is a C+ or a B-. Not. Very good. At all.

Let England Shake keeps getting better and better.

i dont think kol is a dissapointment at all, but after giving it a while i have to agree its no more than a strong 7/10 album. a real big focus on the drumming and the bass, and alot of the drumming is very repetitive and looped which i have mixed feelings about.

i expect it's going to prove to be a grower, but right now im feeling like a strong 7/10.

feel like posting favourite albums. imo theres been a pretty consistent stream of great albums so far this year:

1. james blake - james blake
2. pj harvey - let england shake
3. the streets - computers and blues
4. mogwai - hardcore will never die, but you will
5. tim hecker - ravedeath, 1972
6. destroyer - kaputt
7. nicolas jaar - space is only noise
8. radiohead - tkol

computers and blues really surprised me, but i've just found myself playing it over and over again more than anything else this year. the more it grows on me, the more convinced i am it could the best streets album.

let england shake is really growing on me too. could move into #1 pretty soon :x

Ugh, I can't stand that The Streets album. There are some cool ideas here and there, but his rapping has become kind of stale, the storytelling isn't as captivating as on the first two albums, and the beats are decent.
"ABC" is one of the worst songs I've heard this year. I love everything else on your list.

my favourite albums (or something like that):

1. Nicolas Jaar - Space Is Only Noise
2. Iceage - New Brigade
3. James Blake - James Blake
4. Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972
5. Radiohead - The King of Limbs
6. Hotel of the Laughing Tree - Terror and Everything After
7. Old Man Markley - Guts N' Teeth
8. Aethenor - En form for bla
9. Chapel Club - Palace
10. BaK - Sculpture

on another note, is anyone else stoked about the new Tyler, the Creator album? His performance with Hodgy Beats on Fallon was simply amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CyMuBi-kH8

Currently, I'm not listening to new albums, because after learning that there are five!!! Boris-related albums coming out this year, I just had to stop and listen to their whole discography (more than a day in length).

Ugh, has anyone heard the new Protest the Hero album? It's pretty bad if I say so myself. Their first album is one of my all-time favourites, but they're just getting further and further away from the sound they had on that album, the only semblance of it that remains in their sound now is relentless shredding. Boring. Maybe it's alright if you liked Fortress, but I didn't really, and this is even worse. The lyrics are extremely blaaa (I usually don't care about lyrics but these are on power metal levels of lame) and while it was pretty easy to sit through the album, it gave me absolutely no reason to listen to it again.

i can definitely understand not liking computers and blues. it's exactly how i felt the first time i listened to original pirate material, in that the beats are amaaazing, but he sounds really fucking awkward and super cheesy. after a while though that slow monotone voice becomes really endearing.

also every time i listen to the streets i feel like im listening to some alternate reality where hip-hop in the uk didnt kind of bastardize itself into grime, which even at its best is pretty shitty in terms of lyricism. real shame its his last album. rip mike skinner :(

edit: also fuck yes at tyler the creator. i dont even care about all the hype train buzz bullshit, i am enjoying the fuck out of their music and will continue to do so. i linked to yonkers on the last page of this thread iirc. must have listened to that track about 30 times on the day the video dropped, and cannot fucking wait for goblin.

(i reckon earl is a slightly better rapper though)

edit2: just watched the video for lotus flower. most gifable video ever?

Thom Yorke is pretty GIF-able in general.

Ian Curtis is still a better dancer than him.

James Blake has kind of been growing on me lately, but I don't really see the reason to be excited over his album. I seem to be the only one. T_T

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)