Wormadam-S (Update)

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/wormadam-s

[Overview]

<p>Wormadam-S has always been considered a bad Pokemon. Its stats are subpar, its movepool is shallow, and it doesn't have anything that makes it stand out from other Bug-types. Simply put, Wormadam-S is basically an inferior Forretress. Nevertheless, this Pokemon shouldn't be considered complete trash (pun intended), as it has a superb defensive typing with only a single weakness, as well as good overall defenses. These attributes mean that the pink bagworm can be a good team supporter in UU if played correctly.</p>

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Gyro Ball
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Protect
nature: Sassy
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Wormadam-S at its best. Wormadam's main strategy will be to set up Stealth Rock as early as possible, and then attempt to cripple a few Pokemon before it faints. Gyro Ball is its main attacking move, as it gains STAB and is quite powerful due to Wormadam's low Speed stat. Wormadam-S has access to both Toxic and Protect, allowing it to effectively Toxic stall opposing Pokemon. Protect also has the added benefit of enabling Wormadam-S to scout for Hidden Power Fire, as Wormadam's ability, Anticipation, does not allow it to detect the type of Hidden Power.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Wormadam-S's resistances are more suited to "countering" special attackers, and thus the EVs and nature have been chosen to reflect this. Max HP and 240 Special Defense EVs give it a considerable amount of bulk on the special side, and allow it to survive two +2 Thunderbolts from Mismagius, whilst 16 Defense EVs allow Wormadam-S to never be 2HKOed by a +2 Double-Edge from Leafeon, factoring in Leftovers recovery from Protect. Leftovers is chosen to complement Wormadam's bulk, whilst Sassy is the chosen nature to maximize Special Defense and maintain a low Speed stat, in order to give Gyro Ball more power.</p>

<p>Milotic is a great partner to Wormadam-S, as it is able to switch in on the Fire-type Pokemon who threaten Wormadam-S and strike back with Surf. Omastar is also an excellent teammate thanks to its 4x resistance to Fire-type moves and ability to set up entry hazards. Slowbro is also a good switch-in, as it resists many of the moves that would normally fatally wound the pink-bagworm, and heal itself with Slack Off or set up dual screens to support the team. Houndoom and Arcanine appreciate Wormadam-S's ability to cripple bulky Water-types with Toxic, and can also switch in on Fire-type moves and receive a boost thanks to Flash Fire, turning them both into deadly sweepers.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>There isn't much else that Wormadam-S can do, but there are a few options to choose from. It can utilize Metal Sound, Flash Cannon, Psychic, and a Hidden Power of your choice with a Modest nature to create a special attacking set, but it is usually inferior to every other special attacking Pokemon in UU in all cases. It also has access to Substitute, but with its lack of reliable recovery and a glaring weakness to Fire-type moves, it is not worth using. It is also able to set up rain in the form of Rain Dance, due to it's its great 4x resistance to Grass, which many rain teams struggle with, and can also lure in Fire-types for Pokemon like Kabutops to switch into. Skill Swap is also a viable gimmick move to use on Fire-types, because if Wormadam-S can snag Flash Fire, it will have at least a neutrality to all types.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Wormadam-S is not hard to counter. Pretty much any Fire-type is a counter to Wormadam-S, as they can switch in and easily OHKO the floating bug. Arcanine and Houndoom make short work of Wormadam-S with their Fire-type STAB moves, and can also set up on it with ease. Moltres falls in a similar category, and can even set up Substitute as Wormadam-S switches out or attempts to poison it. Altaria can also set up on Wormadam-S with impunity and proceed to sweep, but should be cautious of Toxic (though Natural Cure somewhat remedies this problem). Weezing is another good counter to the pink bagworm, as it resists all of its attacking moves and Toxic, and can OHKO with Fire Blast or Flamethrower. Wormadam-S also has to be wary of Uxie, who can set up dual screens before crippling it with Memento. Registeel, despite not being able to do much to Wormadam-S, can use it as set-up fodder and boost its stats with Curse.</p>

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Aside from the fact that you're going to have to expand upon this substantially when you reach the writing stage, I have to question the set itself.

I realize this is more than likely Wormadam's best attempt at competitive play, but Wormadam can't really stall at all, and in order to effectively Toxic stall as the set suggests, the Pokemon usually needs a form of recovery, which Wormadam sadly lacks. So, in this case, I would vouch for removing Protect or at least slashing something in front of it. I realize Protect might get Wormadam the chance to put something to sleep safely with Yawn, but most people are just going to switch out when they get hit by it anyway, and if they don't they are probably RestTalkers anyway. The most common switch-ins into Wormadam are going to be Arcanine and Registeel, so I would think Hidden Power Ground would need to go somewhere on the set, even though it's going to be doing piddly damage to either one of them.

IMO the set should look something like this:

[SET]
move 1: Toxic
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Gyro Ball
move 4: Protect / Hidden Power Ground

You don't need the ability section since Wormadam only has one ability. Sucker Punch is there so Wormadam isn't completely helpless against some scary shit like Rotom, Mismagius, and Alakazam, and she does some surprisingly good damage against them.

This is purely theorymonning, but I think the goal of this one is what Wormadam should be striving for, not simply being fat and trying to fail at Toxic-stalling.

EDIT: FUCK, well scratch Yawn then.
EDIT2: Changed the set to reflect Eo's comments. I say HP Ground should get a slash, but like I said, it's doing piddly to anything.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Wormadam-S doesn't learn Yawn >_>

That being said, I've actually used Wormadam and have found the original set of Stealth Rock / Gyro Ball / Toxic / Protect to be satisfactory. EVs should be 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD (Sassy), since Wormadam's resistances make it more suited for "countering" special attackers (Venusaur, Mismagius, Jynx, Sceptile, Exeggutor) as opposed to physical attackers (Leafeon, Kangaskhan, Hitmontop if you're desperate). 16 Def EVs give Wormadam a 100% chance of not being 2HKOed by a +2 Double Edge from Leafeon, factoring in Leftovers recovery from Protect.

I'm fine with Hidden Power Ground as a mention, as it hits Houndoom as well, but you're usually better off switching if you can anticipate Arcanine or Registeel switch-ins.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, Thund trolled the ladder way back then when Roserade was allowed and Wormadam produced some hilarious results. Make the changes Eo recommended and consider this approved (don't forget 0 Speed IVs as well).

This is a minor which you could add to the additional comments section- the EVs Eo suggested also allow the Bug to live two +2 Thunderbolt from Mismagius.

Ok, I shall make the changes now.
This is my first ever analysis, so thank you all for the feedback.
EDIT: Changes made so...GO NUTS!

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
it's all ok so long as it's consistent... don't forget to change your tag to copyediting by editing your post, and going to "go advanced"

Blue is changes
Red is removals

Proofread:

[Overview]
(Space between heading and first paragraph)
<p>Wormadam-S has always been considered a bad Pokemon. Her stats are subpar, her movepool is shallow, and she doesn't really have anything that makes her stand out from other Bug-types. She is basically an inferior Forretress.
Nevertheless, this Pokemon isn't to be just considered trash (pun intended), as she does have a superb defensive typing with only a single weakness, good overall defences and with access to both Toxic and and Protect, she can be a great team supporter. Just make sure that you only use her in the lower tiers, and she will show you why she deserves a spot on your team.(This analysis is intended for the UU tier so this sentence is irrelevant.)</p>

[SET]
evs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240SpD
ivs: O 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is the best that Wormadam-S at its best can manage, but she isn't bad at what she does. Wormadam's main strategy will be to set up Stealth Rock as early as possible before attempting to cripple a few Pokemon before it faints. Gyro Ball will be your is its main attacking move, as it gains STAB and is quite powerful due to Wormadam's low speed stat. Wormadam-S also has access to Toxic and Protect, which is great for wearing away the opponents Pokemon's health. Wormadam-S has access to both Toxic and Protect, allowing it to effectively Toxic stall opposing Pokemon. Protect also has the added benefit of enabling Wormadam-S to scout for Super-effective Fire-type Hidden Powers, as Wormadam's ability, Anticipation, does not allow it to detect the type of Hidden Power.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Wormadam-S's resistances are more suited to "countering" special attackers and thus, the EVs and nature have been chosen to complement this. Max HP and 240 Special defense EVs give it a considerable amount of bulk on the special side, and allow her to survive two +2 Thunderbolts from Mismagius, whilst 16 defense EVs allow Wormadam-S to never be 2HKOed by a +2 Double Edge from Leafeon, factoring in Leftovers recovery from Protect. Leftovers is chosen to complement Wormadam's bulk, whilst Sassy is the chosen nature to maximize special defense and maintain a low speed stat, to give Gyro Ball more power.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Milotic is a great partner to Wormadam-S, being able to switch in on a number of a number of with ease on Fire-type Pokemon who threaten Wormadam-S and strike back with Surf. Omastar thanks to its 4x resistance to Fire-type moves is an excellent teammate and can also set up entry hazards. Slowbro is also a good switch-in, as it resists the many of the moves that would normally fatally wound the pink-bagworm, and begin to heal or set-up screens to support the team. Houndoom and Arcanine love the way that Wormadam-S can cripple Pokemon that would normally hurt them, and can also switch in on Fire-types moves and receive a boost thanks to Flash Fire, turning them both into deadly sweepers.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>There isn't much else that Wormadam-S can do, but there are a few options to choose from. She can utilize Metal Sound, Flash Cannon, Psychic and a Hidden Power of your choice with a Modest nature to create a Special-attacking set, but it is usually inferior in all cases. She also has access to Substitute, but without a reliable method of recovery and a glaring weakness to Fire-type moves, it is not worth using. she just doesn't have the defenses to use it to a high enough standard. She also has access to both Sunny Day and Rain Dance if you need a sturdy Pokemon to set up weather.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Pretty much any Fire-type is a counter to Wormadam-S, as they can switch in and easily OHKO the floating bug. Arcanine and Houndoom make short of work of Wormadam-S with their Fire-type STAB, and can also set up on her with great ease. Moltres falls in a similar category, and can even set up Substitute as Wormadam-S switches out or attempts to intoxicate it. Altaria can also set up on Wormadam-S with impunity and proceed to sweep, but should be cautious of Toxic and the occasional Yawn. Weezing is another good counter to the pink-bagworm, as it resists all of her attacking moves and Toxic, and can OHKO with Fire Blast or Flamethrower. She also has to be wary of Uxie, whom can set up Dual screens before crippling her with Memento. Registeel, despite not being able to do much to Wormadam-S, can use her as set up fodder and start to Curse.</p>

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Wormadam-S has always been considered a bad Pokemon,(comma) her stats are subpar, her movepool is shallow, and she doesn't really have anything that makes her stand out from other Bug-types. She is basically an inferior Forretress.(remove space)Nevertheless, this Pokemon isn't to be just shouldn't be considered trash (pun intended), as she does has a superb defensive typing with only a single weakness, good overall defenses,(comma) and with access to both Toxic and and Protect.(full stop) These attributes mean she can be a great team supporter.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Wormadam-S at its best. Wormadam's main strategy will be to set up Stealth Rock as early as possible before attempting to cripple a few Pokemon before it faints. Gyro Ball is its main attacking move, as it gains STAB and is quite powerful due to Wormadam's low Speed stat. Wormadam-S has access to both Toxic and Protect, allowing it to effectively Toxic stall opposing Pokemon. Protect also has the added benefit of enabling Wormadam-S to scout for Super-effective Fire-type Hidden Power Fire, as Wormadam's ability, Anticipation, does not allow it to detect the type of Hidden Power.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Wormadam-S's resistances are more suited to "countering" special attackers,(comma) and thus, the EVs and nature have been chosen to complement this. Max HP and 240 Special Defense EVs give it a considerable amount of bulk on the special side, and allow her it to survive two +2 Thunderbolts from Mismagius, whilst 16 defense EVs allow Wormadam-S to never be 2HKOed by a +2 Double Edge from Leafeon, factoring in Leftovers recovery from Protect. Leftovers is chosen to complement Wormadam's bulk, whilst Sassy is the chosen nature to maximize Special Defense and maintain a low Speed stat, to give Gyro Ball more power.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Milotic is a great partner to Wormadam-S, being able to switch in with ease on Fire-type Pokemon who threaten Wormadam-S and strike back with Surf. Omastar thanks to its 4x resistance to Fire-type moves is an excellent teammate thanks to its 4x resistance to Fire-type moves, and can also ability to set up entry hazards. Slowbro is also a good switch-in, as it resists many of the moves that would normally fatally wound the pink-bagworm, and begin to heal or set-up screens to support the team. Houndoom and Arcanine love the way that appreciate Wormadam-S's ability to cripple bulky Water-types with Toxic can cripple Pokemon that would normally hurt them, and can also switch in on Fire-type moves and receive a boost thanks to Flash Fire, turning them both into deadly sweepers.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>There isn't much else that Wormadam-S can do, but there are a few options to choose from. It can utilize Metal Sound, Flash Cannon, Psychic and a Hidden Power of your choice with a Modest nature to create a special-attacking set, but it is usually inferior in all cases. It also has access to Substitute, but without a reliable method of recovery and a glaring weakness to Fire-type moves, it is not worth using. It also has access to both Sunny Day and Rain Dance if you need a sturdy Pokemon to set up weather.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Pretty much any Fire-type is a counter to Wormadam-S, as they can switch in and easily OHKO the floating bug. Arcanine and Houndoom make short of work of Wormadam-S with their Fire-type STAB, and can also set up on her with great ease. Moltres falls in a similar category, and can even set up Substitute as Wormadam-S switches out or attempts to intoxicate it. Altaria can also set up on Wormadam-S with impunity and proceed to sweep, but should be cautious of Toxic and the occasional Yawn. Weezing is another good counter to the pink-bagworm, as it resists all of her attacking moves and Toxic, and can OHKO with Fire Blast or Flamethrower. She Wormadam also has to be wary of Uxie, whom can set up dual screens before crippling her with Memento. Registeel, despite not being able to do much to Wormadam-S, can use her as set up fodder and start to boost its stats with Curse.</p>

Red is remove
Blue is edit / add

Slightly confused why you refer to Womadam as "she" in some places, and "it" in others. they should be made made "it" for consistancy. Also, Wormadam-S doesn't learn Yawn as mentioned in the counters section.

ediit -- be sure to do this in the overview too! You also left a "(comma)" there.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Settle down. If you didn't notice, we have some major backlog. Be patient and don't bump your thread if it's still on the first page.

If you have no patience, then you probably shouldn't have taken so many analyses.

I'm sorry that I'm giving my input soooo late, due to a long hiatus from Pokemon for personal reasons...anyway, I feel that Rain Dance should get a greater mention in OC, because he has a nice 4x resist to Grass, which many Rain teams struggle with, as well as luring in Fire-types for Pokemon like Kabutops to switch into. Just giving my own (late) opinion, though...

I'm sorry that I'm giving my input soooo late, due to a long hiatus from Pokemon for personal reasons...anyway, I feel that Rain Dance should get a greater mention in OC, because he has a nice 4x resist to Grass, which many Rain teams struggle with, as well as luring in Fire-types for Pokemon like Kabutops to switch into. Just giving my own (late) opinion, though...
There are just so many other pokemon in the tier that do the same job, but better. MUCH better. It just doesn't deserve a merit sorry :/
One more GP check?

Ummm, just c/p Flashdriver's post into the OC is basically all you have to do...
Done, and done. :) I think this is pretty much done now, although feel free to suggest anything else.
And I didn't C/P because...I'm a drip. Thats pretty much it. xD

It's all right! Actually, I do have one more suggestion, and I'm serious when I say it: Skill Swap. While it's usually a gimmick, I truly see it having some potential, mainly because of all the Fire-types it lures in. On average, the Fire-type in question has a good chance of having Flash Fire as its ability, and Skill Swap allows it to become Wormadam-S's ability instead, giving it a Fire-type immunity, and therefore no weaknesses! I would suggest putting that into OC...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)