Xatu

Roost and Grass + Ground resists are huge for Xatu > Espeon. It can actually come in on Hippowdon's Earthquake, Skarmory's Brave Bird, Nattorei's Power Whip, etc. Roost helps it keep healthy over the course of the match.

But female Eevee with DW ability isn't release yet.
Maybe I am wrong... Maybe this answer doesnt apply... but I'll post it anyways. I am quoting this from THIS thread.

RELEASED VIA PROMOTIONS IN JAPAN

Eevee, Jolteon, Flareon, Vaporeon, Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon, Glaceon (Pre-BW Game)
Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle (Buy a Japanese book with interviews and enter code)
Croagunk (Buy an upcoming issue of CoroCoro and receive a code)
Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup (Buy a TCG Starter set only on November 12th and receive a code)
Arceus

Stop fretting about Espy! This is a thread promoting Xatu's awesomeness! Besides, it resist Grass+Ground and avoids 2/3 entry hazards.

Personally I really enjoy the set that was listed as "wanna-be-jirachi" under smogon's list of move sets for Xatu. I would just edit it slightly for a bit of a fun and interesting set.

Trick/Scarf + Support Xatu
Choice Scarf
Magic Mirror
Jollly
252 HP, 252 speed, 4 attack

Wish
Zen Headbutt
U-turn
Trick

Use him as a spikes/stealthrock/status reflecter early on by coming in on said moves, and then U-Turn out or attack away. As the game progresses, and you need Xatu for more supportive healing, come in on one of Xatu's resistances, trick your scarf onto your enemy, and start wishing and u-turning away.

Roost and Grass + Ground resists are huge for Xatu > Espeon. It can actually come in on Hippowdon's Earthquake, Skarmory's Brave Bird, Nattorei's Power Whip, etc. Roost helps it keep healthy over the course of the match.
This makes sense, it could be the better counterpart to deal with Wallish hazard users compared to Espeon, who (as you implicitly stated) is deathly afraid of all of those. 4x Fighting resist is also quite nice.

Analysis: Xatu has made a comeback this gen in the form of magic mirror. unique to only him and espeon, it gives xatu a nice niche being that he can support his team alot better than espeon can.
LIES. LIES, I SAY!

The issue isn't that Espeon > Xatu or vice versa; they have different roles. :0 Different movepool, different stuff they can do.

...this would be a great time to go into it, but I've got other stuff to do, sorry~
(Some of it's been discussed in here anyway.)

All the event only dream worlds have been male only. At the monet eeveelutions can't be pair with egg moves. Just to clear that up, s Xatu has its niche as a magic mirror user that can heal its self.

Just a warning to anyone thinking about using Xatu: use Shed Shell. It has a recovery option in Roost, so Leftovers aren't a huge priority (plus it is essentially immune to status so no worries there). Meanwhile, Leftovers means Shandera can easily come in on you and wreck your shit. :/

U-Turn would circumvent this, though it does mean you have to give up a support moveslot. RaRaRabbit's set is Shanderaa-proof.

hmm... what?

One of the things i really like about Xatu is U-Turn. When i used Xatu, i just slap a Scarf on it and spam U-Turn when needed.
The problem is that it's U-turn isn't hurting anyone with that 75 base attack...
I just wished it had Barrier (or Iron Defense... or even better, Cotton Guard). Barrier + Calm Mind + recovery + Assist Power= :justin2:
Ow well, it's too frail to set up all that without getting killed in the process . Just leave that to Musharna.

Maybe Xatu is meant to support... how about a Tailwind set?

Tailwind/U-Turn/Wish/Psychic. Is that fine?

Support on Xatu is really hard to run because of how easy enemies damage him. You can pull off a Tailwind or a Wish, but basically you're either getting set up on or sacrificing Xatu in the process. I usually run a Xatu that's built to stand up to hazard setting opponents and hurt them. Main problems I run into are Tyranitar and Shandera, and with Shandera it depends on the set I'm running.

Choice Specs is fun, with Psychic, HP [Fire], Thunder Wave, and Filler. Problem is Tyranitar and Shandera can show up and essentially nullify you. It's a lot more effective in UU, where those knuckleheads don't show up. But... actually I don't know if that set even makes sense in UU, where there's no Nattorei to get hit 4x by HP Fire. It can change depending on the environment, I guess.

Focus Sash is easily overlooked. Since Xatu is there to block SR, and is immune to Spikes/T-Spikes, he actually has a pretty easy time holding onto his sash. Thunder Wave means that that Shandera who showed up isn't going to kill you without a hitch. Without Sandstorm, he gets paralyzed and hit hard with a Psychic or Shadow Ball. You might even kill it with parahax.

Bold @ Leftovers
248 Hp, 252 Defense, 8 Sp. Atk
Hidden Power Fire
Roost
Psychic
Toxic/Calm Mind/Reflect
I've toyed with this set, and if you want to use it in OU, I'd recommend this build:

Bold @ Leftovers
192 DEF, 168 SP.ATK, 148 SPEED
Hidden Power Fire
Psychic
Roost
Reflect

I gave up defensive IVs in favor or just running Reflect and actually having some offenses. The problem I've had with even the bulkiest sets is that pursuit does a ton of damage and you can hardly handle more than one. And on top of this, without speed EVs, some slower threats like Breloom can outspeed and finish you off.

With this set, you have an easier time dealing with most SR setupers, like Skarmory and Nattorei. The SP.ATK IVs really make a difference in being able to dent them. Setting up reflect basically means they can't touch you.

Then, if a pursuiter shows up, you've got reflect and can switch. They will probably think that you're switching and go ahead and do it, and if you've got enough guts you can stay in on them and fight. If they're locked into pursuit, they basically can't do anything to you as they won't be able to outdamage roost. If you're up against Tyranitar, unless you opted to get HP Fight instead of Fire, you'll just have to switch unless he's somehow been poisoned. Fortunately with Reflect you can survive the attack with ease and it shouldn't be hard to find another opening to Roost.

The SR guys that cause trouble are Hippowdon and Aerodactyl. Hippo needs a LOT of Psychics and psychic defense drops before it'll go down, and if it crits with a Stone Edge, it's over. Aerodactyl laughs at Xatu as he can outspeed and OHKO/2HKO while Xatu can only 2HKO back. Basically, you can't stop Aero from setting up unless it taunts and Xatu bounces that.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I run Night Shade / Roost / Reflect / T-Wave so I can win Crunchless Tyranitar short of a Stone Edge CH.

Yeah.

It's a shame CHs ignore Reflect...

Wish Attack - Magic Mirror
Xatu @ Leftovers
252 Atk / 252 Spe
~Zen Headbutt/Drill Peck
~Wish
~U-Turn
~(Your Choice)

-Zen Headbutt is your STAB Psychic move with the added chance to make the enemy to Flinch. You could also take Drill Peck as your Flying STAB move.

-Wish is a great healing move to combine with U-Turn.

-U-Turn is your scouting move while using Magic Mirror to block entry hazards.

- This is up to you depending on what your team needs filled in. Sucker Punch gives you a priority move. Steel Wing, Night Shade, Return are all good coverage moves. Something else to try would be Giga Impact. Wish followed by Giga Impact lowers the risk of being forced to rest after wards.

Wish Attack - Magic Mirror
Xatu @ Leftovers
252 Atk / 252 Spe
~Zen Headbutt/Drill Peck
~Wish
~U-Turn
~(Your Choice)

-Zen Headbutt is your STAB Psychic move with the added chance to make the enemy to Flinch. You could also take Drill Peck as your Flying STAB move.

-Wish is a great healing move to combine with U-Turn.

-U-Turn is your scouting move while using Magic Mirror to block entry hazards.

- This is up to you depending on what your team needs filled in. Sucker Punch gives you a priority move. Steel Wing, Night Shade, Return are all good coverage moves. Something to avoid would be Giga Impact.
Dont ever, under any circumstance use gia impact, or any hyber beam like move. theyre bad, mhn 'k?

other then that this is a copy of the "wannabe Jirachi" set.

Is Giga Impact and the like really that bad on a Pokemon who can heal? I mean Wish would act as a Recover while your resting.

I don't think I have seen people mention that Xatu can get Giga Drain from Dream World. Which I think is a nifty new addition.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Two problems that I can think of for Giga Impact:
1) You can't do anything on the recharge turn, including switching. That guarantees a free turn for your opponent, two if you KO and they bring in something that forces you out. One turn of setup is bad, two is worse.
2) It's exactly as powerful as using a 75-power move twice (ignoring accuracy), meaning it's outclassed by Return (and a lot of other moves) for virtually all purposes.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Any ideas on how to use this thing offensively? I know Espeon is a more appealing option due to Latios/Gengar-tier offensive stats, but Xatu might be a help to offensive teams in need to a Magic Mirror Pokemon with good immunities and resists. I realize Espeon isn't exactly "the best" due to Xatu's advantages.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Any ideas on how to use this thing offensively? I know Espeon is a more appealing option due to Latios/Gengar-tier offensive stats, but Xatu might be a help to offensive teams in need to a Magic Mirror Pokemon with good immunities and resists. I realize Espeon isn't exactly "the best" due to Xatu's advantages.
Well his offensive stats are pretty bad but i think a choiced set could work.

Xatu@Choice Scarf/Specs
Nature:Timid
252Spe/252 SpA/4HP
-Psychic
-Shadowball
-Heatwave/HP Fire
-U-Turn

Psychic for Stab, Shadow ball covers other psychic type pokemon and Heatwave covers steels.
U-Turn is SE against TTar/Sazandora who wall this set it won't hurt them, but at least you can switch to something that can handle them.

I think you will mostly be spamming U-Turn and sometimes Heatwave to fuck up a Nattorei who wasn't expecting it cause its attacks are pretty weak and even Super effective ones won't OHKO unless they are frail or you are ballsy enough to really use specs Xatu (In that case you gave up one of its biggest assets, the fast U-Turn).

Edit: Dang, just realized that Heatwave is a Gen 4 Tutor move and illegal with MM so you will need HP Fire

Xatu has the offense of a slightly angry duck, he lost all offensive prowess after Gen 2 and has never come close to regaining it. His defenses are more or less only just passable this gen after considerable investment and offenses absolutely surpassed by Sigiglyph. It doesn't help either one of his best attacks Heatwave is utterly illegal with Magic Mirror and since BP is a Gen 3 exclusive he can't do any CM passing either. Also due to the Future Sight nerf being affected by resistances now even thats a no go.

I think asking for ideas on how to use Gen 5 Xatu offensively is pretty much impossible because he has no options with Magic Mirror besides his extensive support pool.

So, something I'm not sure anyone had thought of...

Magic Mirror+Guard Swap Shell Break recipient.

Basically, you Baton Pass Xatu a Shell Break, have it Guard Swap its defensive drops onto whatever it's up against, and then sweep.

The advantage would be that you'd have a +2/+2 sweeper with decent coverage in Psycho Shock/Shadow Ball/Grass Knot, which was immune to status/Roar/etc. Shell Break, minus the whole "dies to Pokémon with move" thing. Not sure it'd be worthwhile to go to this trouble to set up, but it's an interesting idea. With some token defensive investment, you could allow Xatu to survive priority attacks of decent power...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)