In-Game Tier List Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
To get back at the natures, long as they're at least neutral to that poke's most important stats, I keep 'em. This has netted me a Quiet Sigilyph, Docile Zorua (Now Zoroark), Docile Scolipede (Amazing sweeper this guy), Hardy Serperior and Timid Litwick (Freshly caught, got lucky). Now at Celestial Tower, wondering what Team Member 6 will be.

Ditto the above poster. I've got my team set for my first run through of Black, where I'm trying to use the most efficient in-game team possible and not allowing for any outside assistance, but this morning I started planning for my second play through and decided I wanted to use pokes who were more likely to be useful on the competitive scene. I'd breed eggs for them and transfer them all over at the beginning. Just wanted to see if there were any glaring weaknesses that will cause me grief traveling through Unova:

I know I've got three people weak to Ghost/Dark, but do those types of attacks show up often in the campaign? I doubt I'd have any major troubles regardless, seeing as they will be IV/EV trained and have good moves and items from the get go, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something!

Glad I'm not alone nature wise!

Mine are:

Oshawott: Brave (Mischievous, I can hope for 31 right?) - First starter I got and thought it was a pretty decent nature. Samurott isn't really gonna be outspeeding things of its own level anyway, and a stronger physical attack really helps considering most of its good ingame moves are physical. Razor shell is awesome.

Pansear: Hasty - Soft resetted for this, mainly because I was using the soft resetting time to decide whether it would bother me using Victini in game. When i saw the Hasty, i decided that it would lol.

Blitzle: Naive - Caught a few of these, kept getting shit like -Speed +defenses and that. Was proper chuffed with this. Tis odd, before the game I considered Blitzle to be a male pokemon; but the one I have caught is female and it now seems weird to consider it anything otherwise...

Sandile: Careful (Likes to thrash about - 31? :D) and Moxie - I would have settled for Neutral, so I thought what harm is taking my special attack ill never use and swapping it for some spec defense? Moxie in game is ridiculous btw; really recommend it.

EDIT:
I know I've got three people weak to Ghost/Dark, but do those types of attacks show up often in the campaign? I doubt I'd have any major troubles regardless, seeing as they will be IV/EV trained and have good moves and items from the get go, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something!
Not having anyone that can learn Fly will probably drive you crazy no?

Ditto the above poster. I've got my team set for my first run through of Black, where I'm trying to use the most efficient in-game team possible and not allowing for any outside assistance, but this morning I started planning for my second play through and decided I wanted to use pokes who were more likely to be useful on the competitive scene. I'd breed eggs for them and transfer them all over at the beginning. Just wanted to see if there were any glaring weaknesses that will cause me grief traveling through Unova:

TBH that looks like your standard OU team IMO

Ghost/Dark exists in the form of Shauntal and Grimsley. GLHF!

Do u guys just go straight ahead and use the Lucky Egg as soon as u receive it? It seems crazy that you get it so early on, I was really taken aback...

Do u guys just go straight ahead and use the Lucky Egg as soon as u receive it? It seems crazy that you get it so early on, I was really taken aback...
Why wouldn't you :o it makes the game infinitely easier. I just raised a shitload of Pokemon I caught with it, by the Elite Four I had around 7 Pokemon around level 40 and then my team which was around level 47.

Here's my assestment on Zorua;

He has a rough start, coming at LV10 where the wild pokes are around 15-18, and immediately faces a bug gym. After that though, he quickly gets Faint Attack and he'll haul his weight. Nearing LV30 he falters a bit, but once he evolves he becomes a friggin monster. While its a shame its hard to use his better Sp ATK, he's no slouch ATK wise and gets Night Slash early enough as well. He's also pretty neutral vs most gyms, meaning he can inflict plenty of damage, and if you Heart Scale Tutor him U-Turn, it only gets better.
However, the starting troubles, lack of good special attacking moves and frailty keep him from being top tier...I'd say higher up in the middle tier. He's no Sigilyph.

if im mocking someone i will say

I dont use item because item is useless, pikachu is stronger without light ball for example and item also make your pokemon weaker and i fear to lose it.

Only amulet coin is useful

LOL

But seriously, with sports hall or tabunne + GE grinding is easy in this game if its only at 40 range

When can i get Focus Blast tm?
If I'm not mistaken, the TM for focus blast can be found in Springwater Cave. You'll need flash and surf to get it.

On an unrelated note, about a week ago, I wrote a small entry on starter choices that I would narrate and put in a video. School work was a bit hectic this week however, so I never got the chance. I thought I might as well post it on the eve of Black and White's American release.

Here it is (Wall of text warning)
Hello everyone, I’m here today to recommend which starter you should choose for pokemon black and white.

I’ll go ahead and say that if you’re like me and you always pick a certain type when you start off, you can go ahead and ignore all of my advice. Just pick whichever type you always pick and you’ll be good. Now there are the rest of you, the ones who like a bit of variety in each playthrough. I’ve played through the game a few times in the Japanese version and have used every starter at least once. I’m here to share my valuable advise with you.

I’ll start by saying, unlike other games, no single starter dominates them all. You won’t find yourself with a lame duck that can never shine. That said, a few of them do have periods where they can lag behind the rest of the team, but those moments are quickly eliminated and made up for.

Snivy is the game’s grass starter. If you haven’t already heard, Snivy’s Treeko-like appearance is deceiving. It’s more of a wall on wheels then anything else. Decent HP, great defenses and fantastic speed make for an excellent package. Snivy performs very well in the early game, scarcely anything- even supereffective attacks- will OHKO him. If you want to, you can even beat the first gym alone with him. The two main flaws with snivy are its power and movepool. In exchange for not getting KOed very often, you won’t KO much yourself. You do get a 65 base power attack right before you evolve however, which will allow you to coast for a few levels. Snivy’s movepool is very, very limited. You’re essentially just limited to just Grass and Normal type attacks. The combination of very mild power and a shallow movepool creates a period of difficult training for the Snivy family from about level 25 to level 32. To escape this exhaustion, I recommend using your snivy, or servine at that period, to deal with team plasma and the 5th gym. It should haul itself out pretty quickly when it learns leafblade and later, the amazing boosting move currently translated as Coil. Buying the Return TM in the 4th gym city is also helpful, so you don’t have to rely solely on tackle for your normal type attack

Once Your Serperior, Snivy’s Final evolution, learns Coil, it is an absolute monster. One Coil and you’ll be able to decimate trainers’ entire teams. Very little can oppose you when fighting the Dark and Fighting Elite Four members with this awesome attack

Overall, Snivy is above average in usefulness. If I had to tier it with the other grass starters, it’d be third losing to torterra and Venasaur. It’s not spectacular, but it pretty damn good.

Next comes Tepig. Tepig’s evolutionary line is the third to be fire fighting, and beyond repetitive use, I’m not complaining. Unlike Snivy, Tepig’s final evolution, Emboar, has an Amazing movepool. You have every single fire and fighting stab you could wish for (minus close combat) and an amazing array of weirder moves. Solarbeam, Grass Knot, Gyro Ball, Head Smash, Wild Charge and even Scald! The brand new 80 base power WATER type move. Tepig is extremely useful in the 2nd, 3rd, and 7th gyms and can hold its own versus the dragon leader. It does have a large bit of competition from the games other fire types, in particular, Darmanitan and Chandelure. Darmanatan is probably the best damn pokemon you can use for an in-game run and although Chandelure can be somewhat hard to get off the ground, it will kill everything in sight once it gets a dark stone. Although I’d still take Infernape over Tepig in terms of fire type starters, this thing is a beast that holds up the line of amazing fire type starters.

Oshawott is all around reliable and can hit pretty darn hard off of its awesome stab and normal type attacks. Beyond disadvantageous gyms, there’s nowhere in the game where Oshawott seem weak or useless. Unlike Snivy and Tepig, it faces next to no competition for a slot on the team, as most of the game’s water types come either at a low level or are just not that useful. The only flaw I can see in Oshawott is that you end up with what is arguably the weakest of the bunch of elemental monkeys, but Simisear is easily replaceable. Oshawott is only second to the almighty god Swampert for best water starter. It’s a real solid choice and I can’t recommend it enough.

Overall, in terms of which starter you should pick for the swiftest ingame run, I’d have to recommend Oshawott first, followed by Tepig, and then Snivy. Don’t let this fool you though, this isn’t like HGSS. All three are really useful and dependable by the game’s end. You’ve heard what I can recommend, now follow your instincts and pick which one you like the best.

Im getting the game tomorrow (finally!)

My ideal starting team so far...
Darumaka
Sandile
Tirtouga
Scrafty
Petilil
Joltik

Any suggestions or glaring weaknesses?

so i've beaten the pokemon league on my english white

have some opinions.

the best starter and the best water-type in the game. very little else has to be said that hasn't been said already. Top

extremely useful up to gym 3-4, then starts to drop in quality drastically. i dumped it at gym 3 due to past experiences. Upper Mid

incinerate is very weak, and when he does get flame burst (and evolves) around castelia city is when you can get the best pokémon in the game. not worth it afterwards. Mid

first mole i found was quiet. that did absolutely nothing to quell its sheer power (also earthquake at 36 is great). Top

used this guy for a little while while i trained up mini-pants. pretty damn useful and vital throw is great. Upper Mid

the best pokémon in the game and the best pokémon since hg/ss scyther. God

i got lucky with an adamant/moxie one first try, but all that seemed to do was attract every status move in the game towards him. a bit too slow to be really effective but it can get on a roll (and hi jump kick/crunch are great STABs). Mid

very physically frail (probably didn't help that i got a gentle one) and very, very slow. the power is good and i like him but he's difficult to use. Mid

adorable, quick, and an utter killing machine when you get thunder. requires a little training when you get him but the payoff is immense. Top

well, he came in handy against the last two bosses, plus he looks alright. Neutral

i might do a tepig run next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)