Jirachi

Jirachi@Leftovers
Bold
252 HP/148 DF/64 SA/40 SD/4 SP
Wish
Doom Desire
Calm Mind
Psycho Shock

The bulkiness gives opponents fits. 404 HP and 300 Defense really helps to get numerous wishes, CMs and DDs off. The new DD benefits now from STAB and from CM boosts so something will be hit with a 210 BP attack. Coupled with an attack move it makes it really good at taking down substitute stallers.

I used Thunder for awhile for the paralysis and power because I could have rain support. I'm really having trouble deciding what I want for my last attack move.

I switched to Thunderbolt in the end. It's good for Skarmory that think I'm physical. Electric and Steel is pretty shitty coverage admittedly but he's mainly a support pokemon with Wish that can abuse Calm Mind if need be. He's helped me win a few stall wars being immune to Toxic. Weakness to EQ is the death of me however.

Doom Desire, I've found, is best used as additional support to other pokemon rather than as a straight-up attack for Jirachi itself. Look at these calcs, for example. Timid Max SpA Jirachi using Doom Desire on a few notable threats:

Code:
vs. 252/0 Neutral Metagross: (28.57% - 33.79%)
vs. 252/0 Neutral Suicune: (20.79% - 24.75%)
vs. 252/148 Neutral Cresselia: (30.41% - 36.04%)
vs. 252/0 Neutral Stone Porygon2: (29.14% - 34.49%)
Those seem relatively unimpressive, right? Pair them with the following and see what results you get:

Code:
+1 Modest Sazandora DM vs. 252/0 Neutral Metagross:  (54.67% - 64.56%)
LO Jolly Terakion CC vs. 252/252 Bold Suicune: (41.09% - 48.51%)
Jolly ScarfChomp Outrage vs. 252/108 Bold Cresselia: (32.43% - 38.06%)
LO Naive MixMence DM vs. 252/0 Neutral Porygon2: (49.20% - 58.02%)
With Doom Desire factored in, SpecsSazandora can 2HKO Metagross with Draco Meteor (the most specially defensively steel you are likely to see), LO Terakion can 2HKO Crocune with Close Combat, ScarfChomp will 2HKO Cresselia with Outrage (and otherwise does 94% minimum damage total, once SR and 2 rounds of Lefties are factored), and Mixmence 2HKOs Stone Pory2 with Draco Meteor.

The extra 20%-30% that Jirachi provides can really help several pokemon nab key KOs later on in the match, as Jirachi will DD on a counter (say, Heatran), you'll bring in your Sazandora, and then Metagross takes both DM and DD as it switches in. And that's just one scenario. I think the following set could ultimately prove to be one of the most standard support sets for Jirachi:

Jirachi@Leftovers
Bold; 220 HP / 252 SpA / 36 Spe

Wish
U-Turn
Doom Desire
Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave / Iron Head

Loads of team support here. Wish passes a solid 198 HP to any recipient, and a slow U-Turn ensures that the pokemon gets in unharmed while simultaneously preventing Taunt from screwing you up (here's looking at you Erufuun). Doom Desire nabs damage on various threats, as even 2x resists find themselves disliking the added damage. Jirachi can use its bulk to support using the last slot as well, providing either Stealth Rock support, Paralysis, or flinching if you seek that approach. A screen, weather move, or hidden power of choice are all equally viable options, of course.

EDIT: Doom Desire also has the added advantage of taking out death fodder your opponent switches in attempting to sponge an attack from your follow-up pokemon. A minor point, but saving yourself from an extra round of LO recoil or priority every now and then has its advantages.

can you include Secret Power as an option over Body Slam? Legit competitive Jirachi in Gen III are non existant and so tutor him Body Slam is not an option for most WiFiers (unless using Pokesav). Secret Power is 30% paralysis in WiFi (same % rate as Body Slam) although it has 70 BP instead of 85.

on a sub CM set i dont get why anyone will use overatted shock. That set for god sake beats blissey even without that uneeded move anyway, so why use it really

There is a set I've been making use of to great success.

Set: Specially Defensive support
Jirachi @ Leftovers Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 232 HP / 20 Atk / 216 SDef / 40 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Body Slam / Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock / Fire Punch
- Wish
- Iron Head

This set originally rose out of a major need for something that can safely sponge Draco Meteors, spread paralysis, and support the team. Body Slam provides very reliable paralysis, as does Thunder Wave, choosing between whether Ghosts or Ground types are a bigger issue to you. Wish and Iron Head are extremely self-explanatory. As for the last slot, Stealth Rock is a nice option if you have nothing else, and Fire Punch is useful, as with the EV spread I provided, it can 2HKO Nattorei and Scizor. If you aren't using Fire Punch, shift the Attack EVs to Speed, HP, or Special Defense.

Any tweaks or comments are welcome.

can you include Secret Power as an option over Body Slam? Legit competitive Jirachi in Gen III are non existant and so tutor him Body Slam is not an option for most WiFiers (unless using Pokesav). Secret Power is 30% paralysis in WiFi (same % rate as Body Slam) although it has 70 BP instead of 85.
Actually, I might be wrong on this, but Jirachi is the easiest event Pokemon to get legit in Gen III because of the Colosseum bonus disc (which never stops giving you jirachis as long you don't stop giving it games). Not sure whether restarting your game gives you more, but compared to the nightmare of trying to get, say, Fake Out one Mew it's pretty relatively easy, though perhaps not easy enough to justify the still decent amount of effort (and dusting off a gamecube and gba connection chord) to get get 15 extra BP. Still worth considering though.

I am a big fan of Specs Jirachi with Draco Meteor, which it gets by event. Catches a lot of things by surprise, and does quite a bit of damage.

The problem with specrachi... No stabs. Doom desire is awesome, but forces you to switch out just as surely as Draco meteor. Awesome set, but you basically have DDesire/DMetor/filler/filler. Should be better.

I'm running flash cannon!

Specs Jirachi is good on Rain teams where it can abuse 100% accurate Thunder that has a 60% paralysis chance, and it's only weak to Ground in the Rain. Also, Doom Desire get's STAB now. It's a 315 BP move with STAB and Specs.

Why not post the straight paraflinch set? (mine anyway)

FlinchBitch @ Leftovers
Bold 252HP/128Def/128Sp.Def (could be better spreads)
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Ice Punch / U-Turn (u-turn is so u can escape shandy but i prefer ice punch to seal with dragons before they can set up.)

Saw this set in another thread, been working really well. Modest 252 Doom Desire gets a lot of OHKOs.

Modest @ Leftovers
252 HP/252 Special Attack/4 whatever (I chose Defense)
Doom Desire
Wish
Protect
U-Turn

Provides amazing support.

Specially defensive Jirachi is the best set at the moment, checking so many things in the metagame this time around. An obvious statement, but relevant nonetheless.

Why not post the straight paraflinch set? (mine anyway)

FlinchBitch @ Leftovers
Bold 252HP/128Def/128Sp.Def (could be better spreads)
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Ice Punch / U-Turn (u-turn is so u can escape shandy but i prefer ice punch to seal with dragons before they can set up.)
Go impish instead, (+Def,-SpAtk).

Bold just decreases youre hitting power.

And what about on the doom desire set running Cosmic Power over Calm Mind? Youll take more hits from physical attackers

what are some good defensive and offensive partners for jirachi? (I'm considering running a subcm set with doom desire and thunderbolt)

Cosmic Power is a poor option on Jirachi, ironically. It does really have many stalling options other than Toxic, while Doom Desire has limited PP and is resisted by a few key types.

Sweepers will easily break through Jirachi's defenses as well - Landorus and Excadrill can SD and Earthquake, Heatran will Fire Blast through your defenses, Reuniclus will Calm Mind along side you, and critical hits will be the death of you.

what are some good defensive and offensive partners for jirachi? (I'm considering running a subcm set with doom desire and thunderbolt)
Salamence and Dragonite have perfect synergy with Jirachi type-wise, and can batter down fire-types. Using a pokemon to help deal with Tyranitar or Excadrill is wise given Jirachi's weakness to ground and the time it takes to set up. Rotom-W pairs well with Jirachi for this purpose.

Salamence and Dragonite have perfect synergy with Jirachi type-wise, and can batter down fire-types. Using a pokemon to help deal with Tyranitar or Excadrill is wise given Jirachi's weakness to ground and the time it takes to set up. Rotom-W pairs well with Jirachi for this purpose.
A bulky Fighting could also pair up well to deal with Excadrill and Tyranitar. Breloom and Virizion come to mind, although Breloom must be a defensive Drain Punch variant for this to work well. With heavy defensive investment, Breloom can almost perfectly counter Excadrill, and Tyranitar will generally run from it unless it's a mixed variant. Same with Mach Punch Conkeldurr.

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Sorry for the 2 year bump (holy moly)

But during July 1 to the 31 Jirachi is getting a brand new move in Meteor Mash. I felt a bump was needed to discuss what sorts of changes this could have on the OU metagame?

How can Jirachi abuse the 40% chance of getting an Attack boost with its strongest physical move?

http://www.serebii.net/events/dex/385.shtml

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Oh man, Meteor Mash will be great on the Scarf set. You give up the ability to flinch, which sucks, but you get to raise your attack 40% of the time! Jirachi would definitely appreciate the boost since base 100 attack is nothing special. It could also go in the fourth slot if you want Iron Head and Meteor Mash, but U-turn / Trick / Healing Wish would all probably be better. I think you'd have to pick one or the other.

phantom

Banned deucer.
Iron Head is superior in every way, shape, and form. Jirachi isn't sweeping with a Steel-type STAB of all things, moreover Jirachi's key selling point is abusing the flinch chance from its Scarf Iron Head to score wins, this seriously takes that opportunity away. I don't really see this move getting much use tbh.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
i would still absolutely use iron head on scarf sets; my interest in meteor mash would be on a more defensive set. Most things rachi walls are already outpacing it (when it runs 0 spe), so for them, meteor mash is just a straight power boost over iron head. And if something slower comes in on the Meteor Mash and you do get the Atk boost... better look out. I'd probably run Mash / Fire Punch / Wish / (Ice punch | body slam) and at least see how it works before discounting the move. (Edit: oops thats pretty walled by jelly)

While meteor mash will probably see use, I'd definitely just stick to iron head on scarf set; the ability to flinch 60% kinda overrules 40% attack raise. Because you are faster than everything that is unboosted in speed, (scarf, RP, etc.) you can really take advantage of the high flinch chance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)