CAP 12 CAP 1 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my design, based off of the Aztec Feathered Snake. The idea was a python or boa(the species Quetzecoatl was based off of) are made of pure muscle, I slapped a set of fairly muscular and arm like wings on it, and we have a bruiser that could fight on either the physical or special fronts.(Sketch is still very rough and yet to be colored)

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
Hey ya folks, it has been much too long!

Some sketches of my current concept for this CAP:

[image too large]

The basic idea being it has to fly to use its legs as fists. Wings and face stylized to resemble a bandana and luchador mask. Not much more to it than that!
Just posting to say that I love this drawing concept.

Diggin' the lineup starting from Paris' really fun and quirky design, to Cyzir's beast, which has a sort of 'steeped in legend' look, and going to pkmn-taicho's handsome quail. It's good that CAP's back, and to see you guys again.

First sketch of this 'thing'. I wanted to carry out sort of a faux-gryphon idea, and ended up with this. Hardened spade-like quills provide the 'feathers' and I hoped it'd conjure up some tribal, gliding mammal images.

I then I elaborated on it.

It's a pretty type fun combination, though, so I'll probably experiment with different concepts.

edit: oh hi, Calad. Looks like you were way ahead of us!

A quick WIP of a turkey thing. This is like my first photoshop ever, so that's why the lineart is awful. Before you say anything, this is completely origional. I did not steal this concept; but instead, thought of it on my own. Critique is welcome! ;)

All of your drawings are awesome (altough some are simply Godly), i'm very impresed by many of the concepts and I want to colaborate, maybe by tomorrow i'll be able to have a sketch (i'm awful doing draws on computer so i'll do it by hand and scan it), but so far i think many of you have great designs

PD: for some reason pkmn-taicho32, your design makes me think a lot in Disney, don't know why, but still awesome

Starting design. Supposed to be a counterpart to a previous design, Cascavian: Link. Based on the same ying/yang principle that the gen 5 games use this version is supposed to be rougher and more masculine.

The bird it's based off of is the lammergeier which means lamb catcher. An often misunderstood bird that was hunted due to the belief that it carried off livestock and children. Of course it does no such thing and the majority of its diet is bone marrow off of carrion, often swallowed whole with the bone. The bird is also known as the bearded vulture. In a few areas they are so rare that it's said that having the shadow of a lammergeier pass over you is a sign that you are to be the next king.

Alright, this is my basic concept. It's based off of a Great Egret. C+CC please

[image too large]

I know the outline is really thick, I plan on making it less so in later designs.

Just posting to make sure people know that the single image limit for a post is 640x640. I've seen some even long time cap artists break this rule. Please check over your posts and edit in the correct sizes. I've only infracted the most blantent offenders for this so far but from now on any picture that does not meet the general posting rules will have their poster infracted.

Also I'd like to discurage quoting pictures. It stretches the thread so please link or remove them from the quote.

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
Out of the lurking, into the art thread

While I know Pokemon already has a tengu design, I felt that the folklore around it scaring travellers from out of nowhere fits the disruptive theme of CAP1. Elements of tornadoes, masked fighters and Woody Woodpecker's tuft of feathers were also incorporated - the idea for this 'mon is one who appears suddenly, arms and tornado a-spinning, and rudely interrupts the foes' momentum. (Ability: Prankster, and Featherdance for an attack?)

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
One thing I am having a hard time reconciling with the current iteration of my design and the designs of a lot of others is the idea of winged arms being used for fighting. Winged arms just seem too fragile, if you try to work out some sense of anatomy it just seems to bring in too many small bones - not enough bulk for punching and too many things to maneuver quickly and fluidly. Membranes are also maybe too delicate. That leaves wings on the back or no wings at all. Hm.

Paras Hilton: love the character and simplicity in yours, and it avoids my winged arm issue perfectly.

Cartoons: suuuch a great design, I like the idea and I like that the arms and wings are integrated in a way that could be suitable for fighting. Don't get me wrong, I totally get the cute and compact style that you do (it's great) but I'm not sure if it's right for a fully evolved fighting/bird type. He seems really feisty but maybe if his proportions were stretched out a bit more he'd have more presence.

Nastyjungle: Sphinx! Love that idea. I think his face might be a bit too human right now? Maybe exaggerate some features or introduce something to his face to make him more animal-like or caricaturized

Wow, this is exciting, there are so many good ones already. As soon as it became clear that Flying/Fighting would win I started work on a paratrooper concept (it seems I was ninja'd by WPS!). Here's my WIP:

Why a paratrooper? What better captures the idea of a momentum swing than the guys that bust down your front door when you think you're safe on your home turf? Besides, nothing says secondary Fighting type like the guys that jump straight into enemy territory.

A few design notes here: I generally dislike Pokemon with blatantly human props, so I should note that the "helmet" is some sort of bony forehead, while the "backpack" is just a hunchback, even though the perspective makes it look like a separate element. On the same note, I tried to imply that the parachute is a fused set of wing-hand-things. Also, this is supposed to be a simian sort of fellow. The jagged lines (where color transitions will go) are supposed to be fuzzy, the feet have opposable thumbs, and I like the idea that the backpack and "strap" coloration is silver/white, as in a silverback gorilla. As for the rest of the colors, I'm thinking a sky-blue body and beige or black hand-wing-things.

Constructive criticism is very welcome.

Whatever, since I can't get the "insert picture" button to work correctly, I have a pretty much finished version of my art here: http://marioaddict.deviantart.com/art/Complete-200489307

I got the idea of an angel from some earlier post (Don't remember who said it, but thank you for the idea!).
Use
tags manually. That's what I always do.

Seems too much like a human in an angel costume or an angel with boxing gloves. Yes, angels have been documented as winged humans...but this isn't intended to be an actual angel-it has to be a Pokemon, and try to avoid simply tacking on the fighting-type with the boxing gloves.

UPDATAN :V

I went ahead and shaded it- this is not me getting ahead of myself, though. Colors are super easy to change on the fly even after it’s shaded, and I can always tweak the lineart as needed.

Critiques are welcome! I’m especially wondering people’s thoughts on the current color scheme- I’m presently waffling on the colors of the helm, as well as the helm ornament/claws/shoulderpads. Oh, and the eyes, too- I was going for a fierce look, not an evil one, mind you. I concepted this fellow as being fierce, clever (for a Pokemon) and warlike. The ‘armor’ is a part of it- you couldn’t remove the bits on its wing without ripping off the wing, for instance, mind you. Might have to write up some flavor for that.

Glad to see so many awesome concepts in the thread already :3 There are a couple that I really like but are a little busy for my tastes (namely Cyzir and Cartoons!); if they’re simplified juuust a hair… In any case, if anyone wants more detailed critiques, just PM me and I’ll respond to you in kind- I’d rather not make tons of posts in this thread unrelated to my design.

Woah wait. Elagune! I know that name! I'd suggest taking the spikes off of it's head and just leave the ponytail (or whatever). I think that might look better.

Funny. That didn't seem to stop Tornadus, Thundurus, or Landorus. It didn't seem to stop practically all (other!) fighting type pokemon. Why should that stop me?
I think it's the face. All other fighting pokemon have something about them that obviously isn't human, but yours has an entirely human-like (albeit highly stylized) look to it. I'd suggest changing its head to look more 'creature' like.

Also the wings look kind of strange, just sayin'.

E; @Aragornbird I love it! Looks a lot like Falco from Starfox though. I guess something was bound to. I can't imagine a better design though if CAP 10 is indeed to be a bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)